PDA

View Full Version : WASR 10/63 Barrel

TacticalPlinker
06-01-2012, 6:49 AM
Quick question, I'm trying to find out if the barrel on my WASR 10/63 is a US made part for 922r compliance.

Does anyone know if CAI uses US made barrels by default or if there is a particular mark I need to look to confirm it is a compliant part?

I'm eliminating what I know for a fact is imported and what I know for a fact is US made. At the moment, I'm 1 part short, without a US made magazine.

By the way, this a great way to confirm 922r...
http://thegunwiki.com/Gunwiki/BuildAkVerifyCompliance

boamedt
06-01-2012, 9:12 AM
It should be 922r compliant already

BucDan
06-01-2012, 9:21 AM
Barrel should be US made. You shouldn't have to worry about 922r if you bought it off the shelf.

MrPlink
06-01-2012, 12:04 PM
WASR barrels are NOT American made (good thing)

TacticalPlinker
06-01-2012, 12:07 PM
WASR barrels are NOT American made (good thing)

Oh? I need to look at the proof marks on mine and see what I can find. But I have heard US barrels are made from softer metal.

tujungatoes
06-01-2012, 12:34 PM
The WASR series rifles(including barrels) are made in romania. Century imports them and replaces the fire controll group, pistol grip, gas piston, and muzzle device.

MrPlink
06-01-2012, 1:12 PM
But I have heard US barrels are made from softer metal.

if by that you mean they are not chromed, then usually that is the case.

BlueJack is the only guy I know doing American made AK barrels that are chrome, there may be others however.

TacticalPlinker
06-01-2012, 10:22 PM

BlueJack is the only guy I know doing American made AK barrels that are chrome, there may be others however.

Travis Haley just mentioned it in one his AK videos... I know mine is chrome lined though. When I break it down to clean, I'll take some pictures of the barrel markings and try to figure out where it's made.

MrPlink
06-02-2012, 12:37 AM
you might as well check your car to make su

MrPlink
06-02-2012, 12:40 AM
you might as well check your car to make sure it has 4 wheels, this is a known fact on Wasrs. Because it is imported in a sporting config, the rifle comes into country intact, like a Saiga and a very few select others. This fact alone makes the Wasr a much better value than most of the kit AKs out there IMO

tujungatoes
06-02-2012, 9:46 AM

Montana rifleman
Green mountain
ak-builder(but he may be using blanks from one of the above)

Travis Haley just mentioned it in one his AK videos... I know mine is chrome lined though. When I break it down to clean, I'll take some pictures of the barrel markings and try to figure out where it's made.

TP I already told you which parts on your rifle are american made. This is common knowledge. Google it. Many american barrels do not have any manufacturer markings. Also there is no requirement that us made compliance parts be marked as such. It's one of the dumber parts of 922r.

I assure you that unless something VERY strange happened, the barrel on your WASR 10/63 is hammer forged, chrome lined, and made in Romania.

Richard Erichsen
06-02-2012, 10:04 AM

Lots of misinformation about US barrels. Not all barrels that are imported are worth a damn, not all US barrels are crap. The distinguishing features of good US barrels are a known manufacturer fabricating barrels to a well defined specification with plenty to brag about in terms of the quality of the steel they use and their level of customer satisfaction. Many smaller shops make barrels and instruct vendors to keep the details of manufacture hidden. This is a terrible practice and results in a fairly small number of "bad" US barrels (incorrect chamber, bore and journal dimensions) defining 'all' US made barrels. Some of the best barrel makers in the world are right here in the US, the specs some of the lesser shops use, poor QC and a lack of transparency on the part of vendors is where a lot of the "my new US barrel keyholes!" FUD comes from.

The majority of US made barrels (from reputable manufacturers) are in fact chrome lined. The vast majority of these are in the 41xx series (AISI 4130, 4140, etc). This is the same steel used for making the majority of gun barrels being produced. Hardness is not a quality you want in a barrel (a pressure vessel) holding back over 50K PSI of pressure. Stainless steel barrels tend to be a bit harder (38-40HRC) than those made of chrome-moly steel (32-34HRC, about the same as a car/truck suspension spring), but they are not more wear resistant. Stainless can also suffer cold weather brittleness and the steel costs more, a few reasons you don't see stainless barrels on military firearms. All else being equal, the stainless barrel will wear out faster.

Green Mountain, Montana Rifleman, AK-Builder (using Green Mountain blanks), ESS and High-Standard make great AK barrels. If you can't figure out who made a US barrel and the rifle assembler isn't willing to share the details, the majority of the time everything works out fine, but the chances increase you might find while shooting it that you've got a barrel not made to spec and any QC that was performed didn't manage to catch it before it went out the door. Small barrel makers might only make a few hundred barrels at a time, perhaps once and then never again, or once or twice a year. Most of them make a decent quality product, a few are consistent only in their inconsistency and for the most part, their company names and the barrel spec prints they used to manufacture against, the certificates they require for the quality of the barrel steel or blanks and other details remain a mystery. You have a choice, choose what you can clearly identify. Don't just rely on "Romanian imported" or other misleading print, because that import barrel may be just a less expensive version of the same crap barrel from an unknown maker on the other side of the Atlantic - it's not always "milspec."

Chrome lining will reduce wear from use and requires less cleaning to remove fouling and jacket material, but is not the only answer to the problem. A plain barrel that has be thermochemically treated in a process generically referred to as salt-bath nitrocarburizing and under trade names Melonite QPQ, Isonite QPQ, Tuffride, Tennifer and Mel1. After treatment the barrel will have a bright polished bore and a dark lamp-black exterior with a surface hardness (the compound layer) of 62-64HRC. Like chrome lining, it will be very easy to clean, resists thermal, chemical and mechanical wear very well, but will never peel off or crack and does not add inconsistencies to the bore dimensions end to end.

R