PDA

View Full Version : Interesting take on guns in will

vantec08
06-01-2012, 5:26 AM
http://www.clarecountyreview.com/2012/06/guns-and-stuff/

Then take a small piece of paper and write that persons name on it in your own handwriting. Unscrew the two little screws that hold the butt plate on the gun and put the paper underneath. Put the screws back in.

vantage
06-01-2012, 5:49 AM
That's a great way to show intent. Probate law is generally pretty good, even in California. Do your best to make your intent known and obvious.

IntoForever
06-01-2012, 5:53 AM
I've also put in my will that anyone who contests the will in any way shape or form will be excluded entirely and the items that were willed to them will then either be given to another or donated to charity.

tpuig
06-01-2012, 10:26 AM
My folks put in that anyone contesting gets $1. Makes my life as executor a bit easier...

I've also put in my will that anyone who contests the will in any way shape or form will be excluded entirely and the items that were willed to them will then either be given to another or donated to charity.

Vacaville
06-01-2012, 10:49 AM
I had a very close friend die unexpectedly last year without a will. Amongst other things, we used to go shooting together. He had a collection of about 15 firearms, all in excellent condition. One of the guns was an original Inland M1A1 with the folding stock.

At the time he passed, he had had little contact with his family over the past 20 years or so. His father, who saw my friend as a dissapointment, went in to clean up and immediately gave the entire collection to a family friend who wasn't even close to my friend who passed. No paperwork, nothing.

I'm sure my friend would have wanted to let his shooting buddies each have one, maybe even the whole collection. Instead a near-stranger got all of them.

The lesson I learned is to identify who you want your stuff to go to, because if you don't it may end up with someone you don't want to have it. Write it down, do it now.

lilro
06-01-2012, 11:41 AM
This is a good idea. But I'm wondering how I could do this with handguns. Maybe tape a small piece of paper inside the magwell?

ldsnet
06-01-2012, 12:12 PM
Just like using the butt plate of a rifle, just attach your wish to the inside of the hand grip. Most handguns grips can be removed without damaging the grip or the gun.

odysseus
06-01-2012, 12:15 PM
Bypass Probate and do all this in a Trust.

Small pieces of paper can go missing too. Just itemize important items in your Trust to beneficiaries as you desire.

Dreaded Claymore
06-01-2012, 2:06 PM
What does "probate law" mean?

odysseus
06-01-2012, 2:08 PM
What does "probate law" mean?

Probating an Estate.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Probate#United_States

fiddletown
06-01-2012, 5:05 PM
Bypass Probate and do all this in a Trust.

Small pieces of paper can go missing too. Just itemize important items in your Trust to beneficiaries as you desire.Good idea.

And quite possibly those little pieces of paper won't satisfy California requirements for a will. Notice that the link in the OP is an article from a Michigan newspaper. And if you read the article carefully, you'll see it assumes you're making an actual will, and the little pieces of paper merely identify who is supposed to get that gun.

Curtis
06-01-2012, 5:50 PM
I solved this issue a different way with my dad. I bought a big safe and then told my dad I had enough room to keep his guns safe (he only had a wood and glass display case). He told me I could hold onto them; no one else had expressed any interest. When my family found out I had all the family guns, there seemed to be more interest.

My wife and I have a trust. You still want to make sure you outline all the specifics. And make sure you have someone who will follow your wishes and won't fold under pressure.