PDA

View Full Version : *UPDATE 2 6/10* A personal request from CRPA board of directors member Brandon Combs

wildhawker
05-31-2012, 11:09 PM
UPDATE 6/10/12: Thanks to DrDavid, we're back up and able to securely take contributions by credit card at bcombs.net! For those who prefer to mail a check, please mark the check “CRPA Bylaws legal analysis” and address it to me at 2370 W. Cleveland Ave. #332, Madera, CA 93637.

UPDATE 6/5/12: PayPal locked the account with a "non-appealable decision" (it's "high-risk gun-related activity"), and so I had to have them refund every single contribution made so far. Otherwise, they would have locked the money for 180 days. If you've contributed, please look for a refund of 100% of your money sent through PayPal.

Contribute at bcombs.net (https://bcombs.net/contribute-now/)

Dear California gun owners and my fellow California Rifle & Pistol Association members,

Many of you know that improving the California Rifle & Pistol Association, Inc. (CRPA), its operating practices, and members’ ability to hold the organization accountable through democratic elections is a goal that I’ve been working towards with key advocates within the gun rights community for a number of years now.

It’s my view that the continued placement of obstacles before the goals of democracy, transparency, and accountability by CRPA executives and some board members have left us with few options. As one of the few elected board members that can’t be simply removed by petulant officials fearful of losing their grip on the organization, I’ve engaged a law firm specializing in California nonprofit law to represent me, personally and as a member of the CRPA board of directors. To this end, I’ve asked them to undertake a full analysis of the CRPA Bylaws in order to identify all areas where they are inconsistent with California law and the objectives of transparent, accountable, and effective governance. Based on their evaluation of the Bylaws, I will make a formal request to the CRPA board and its officers, that all reforms necessary to bring our Bylaws into full conformance with California law be introduced – and adopted – at the first possible opportunity. My hope would be that this would occur at or before the next meeting of the CRPA board of directors, to be held August 24-26 at the Marriott in Rancho Cordova, CA.

As you may have noticed, some of the CRPA executives’ recent decision-making has been troubling. This past March, I sent the organization a request for records I felt would be useful to better understand the basis of these decisions and “reverse engineer” the various board, officer, and staff actions that have led to the current state of affairs. As usual, CRPA is not very interested in transparency – even with board members like me, who have a statutory absolute right of access to the organization’s records. Their position is that it is reasonable for them to delay access to the CRPA offices and records until – at minimum – three months after the initial written request. Instead of using this as an opportunity to be transparent and show the board and our members that they are committed to ethical leadership, they have instead embraced stonewalling tactics that would make Eric Holder proud.

Our efforts, undertaken in what I believe to be the best interests of the CRPA and its members, are going to cost me well into the thousands of dollars. It is not unthinkable that costs to place the request before the board could exceed $5,000. With that in mind, I hereby make a personal request: that those of you who care about the future of CRPA and California gun rights would help to offset these real costs of ensuring that members’ rights are respected, and all laws adhered to, in the CRPA’s governing documents and practices. It is my vision that CRPA would become an effective and engaged organization like the NRA, and I am confident that we can help make that happen, working together, now.

Please contribute by going to www.bcombs.net. To the extent that you prefer to mail a check, please mark the check “CRPA Bylaws legal analysis” and address it to me at 2370 W. Cleveland Ave. #332, Madera, CA 93637.

Of course, I will publish an accounting of all support received (names redacted) and costs paid therefrom to a public spreadsheet (located at http://bcombs.net/contributions-received/). If there exists any balance after the related expenses have been paid for, I will donate the full amount of the balance to charity.

As always, it has been and remains my pleasure to serve the CRPA, its members, and the best interests of our cause. Thank you very much for your help and support.

-Brandon

Paul S
05-31-2012, 11:22 PM
Brandon
Be sure and post when the page and paypal account are operational. I just checked and all I get is the place holder index page. I wish you every success in the endeavor.
Paul S

wildhawker
05-31-2012, 11:28 PM
Brandon
Be sure and post when the page and paypal account are operational. I just checked and all I get is the place holder index page. I wish you every success in the endeavor.
Paul S

Both the PayPal account and spreadsheet are active right now. PM me with any tech issue you're having and I'll check it out. Thanks very much for your support.

-Brandon

dantodd
05-31-2012, 11:30 PM
Seem to be working here.

nick
06-01-2012, 12:06 AM
Yeah, it's working. Paypal, on the other hand, is being slow.

Looks like it went through though.

Lacunacraft
06-01-2012, 12:23 AM
I hope this finally gets the CRPA to change as their stonewalling is infuriating and it has brought their credibility with me to absolute zero. Change must happen in order for the CRPA to be the organization to be what it needs to be.

It needs to be a civil rights organization with a laser focus on preserving and protecting the right to keep and bear arms as stated in the constitution. That means fighting back against California's insane laws and making sure they never come back.

kcbrown
06-01-2012, 1:11 AM
If there exists any balance after the related expenses have been paid for, I will donate the full amount of the balance to charity.

I hope "charity" == CGF. :43:

wildhawker
06-01-2012, 1:24 AM
I hope "charity" == CGF. :43:

Actually, no.

Any balance remaining will be divided equally between the CRPA Foundation and Second Amendment Foundation.

-Brandon

stix213
06-01-2012, 1:31 AM
$50 sent

Twystd1
06-01-2012, 1:41 AM
I just sent you a 100 bucks. I appreciate what you do.

Twystd1

NoJoke
06-01-2012, 7:33 AM
Done

Eric Mayer
06-01-2012, 7:40 AM
I just sent $50.00.

As someone who knows how hard Brandon works for our rights and the passion he has to get stuff done, it is shameful how the CRPA is treating him. The CRPA Executive Board continues to run with the "Us vs. Them" attitude towards their members. This needs to end and OUR organization needs to be accountable to its members.

I strongly urge others to give what they can.

Eric :cool:

HowardW56
06-01-2012, 8:01 AM
OK, I'm in for $50.00

jrwhitt
06-01-2012, 8:06 AM
Sent what I could

taperxz
06-01-2012, 8:17 AM
Brandon, I really dont know what you are going to accomplish doing this. I may not even agree with this idea. HOWEVER!

As hard as you work on gun rights, I'm going to give you the benefit of the doubt and send you my CRPA yearly dues since CRPA isn't getting that.

If they can use membership dues against members, I guess I can use the dues money against them. This is just MY OPINION!

bloodhawke83
06-01-2012, 8:24 AM
Where is the like button? :D

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

OleCuss
06-01-2012, 8:57 AM
Can this be a sticky so that we can be reminded every now and again?

dantodd
06-01-2012, 9:18 AM
Brandon, I really dont know what you are going to accomplish doing this. I may not even agree with this idea. HOWEVER!

If Brandon has reason to believe that the org isn't following CA law then, as a director, he can be held personally liable for some legal violations. Hint, so can the other boardmembers.

Untamed1972
06-01-2012, 9:22 AM
Its like fighting the Gov't who uses our tax dollars to fight us back.

So CRPA who operates on donated money to represent it's members is now using that money to fight against it's members requiring donations to someone else to fight them against their own donated money.

To put it simply.....That's Eff'ed UP!

freonr22
06-01-2012, 9:35 AM
Where is the like button? :D

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

It's at the upper left of the op...

uyoga
06-01-2012, 9:45 AM
As a CRPA life member, I send CRPA a quarterly donation check (same as CGF). I will be sending this to you this time.

ShootinMedic
06-01-2012, 10:22 AM
Tagged for when I'm at ny computer. I met you in in Murphys and you struck me as an incredibly honest and sincere man Brandon. Thanks for all you do.

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk

mud99
06-01-2012, 10:29 AM
$100 sent

clutchy
06-01-2012, 11:07 AM
$ excellent.

wildhawker
06-01-2012, 1:04 PM
Thank you to everyone for your support.

-Brandon

HowardW56
06-01-2012, 1:31 PM
It looks like a little more is needed

Dark Paladin
06-01-2012, 2:12 PM
Its like fighting the Gov't who uses our tax dollars to fight us back.

So CRPA who operates on donated money to represent it's members is now using that money to fight against it's members requiring donations to someone else to fight them against their own donated money.

To put it simply.....That's Eff'ed UP!

Its actually worse than that. Because you have to remember CRPA also gets funding from the NRA. . .

goober
06-01-2012, 2:21 PM
$100 sent, Transaction ID # 8RK45145D6848080R.

eaglemike
06-01-2012, 2:54 PM
$$$ sent. Good work.

jdberger
06-01-2012, 3:44 PM
$100 pledge for when I get to a decent computer.

chiz
06-01-2012, 3:48 PM
Just sent $50

Wildhawk66
06-01-2012, 4:09 PM
Donation made.

Having worked with Brandon in another life and having watched his pro 2A activities over the past few years I am 100% confident that my donation is a wise investment in the future of CRPA and my gun rights.

CaliforniaLiberal
06-01-2012, 4:18 PM
$50 in the pot for a great cause.

Thanks to you Brandon for all you do for 2nd Amendment Patriots everywhere. Whichever hat you happen to be wearing.

Get up you laggards! Open up those wallets! If you only have $5, put down $5 and be proud.

We must rebuild the CPRA into a true, representative 2nd Amendment Rights Organization for the State of California. If we don't, no one will.

dantodd
06-01-2012, 4:29 PM
Less than 24 hrs. And you almost have the first installment paid. Nie work CalGunners.

wildhawker
06-01-2012, 4:35 PM
Less than 24 hrs. And you almost have the first installment paid. Nie work CalGunners.

Indeed, and thank you all.

However, I need to point out that we've *almost* covered the retainer, not the full amount of the legal costs. Please, if you have not yet done so and believe in what we're trying to achieve, don't hesitate to keep sending in assistance. The odds are very good that we're going to need quite a lot more support to get to the end of this road.

-Brandon

GOEX FFF
06-01-2012, 4:41 PM
Brandon, what is the deadline for this?

I don't get paid until next Friday. :(

dantodd
06-01-2012, 4:43 PM
Indeed, and thank you all.

However, I need to point out that we've *almost* covered the retainer, not the full amount of the legal costs. Please, if you have not yet done so and believe in what we're trying to achieve, don't hesitate to keep sending in assistance. The odds are very good that we're going to need quite a lot more support to get to the end of this road.

-Brandon

I didn't mean to suggest that $2k would cover all costs. I see how it could look like that. I'm sure this could easily run to 8 or $10k before its all said and done.

wildhawker
06-01-2012, 4:46 PM
Brandon, what is the deadline for this?

I don't get paid until next Friday. :(

No deadline as this process is going to take some time.

-Brandon

wildhawker
06-01-2012, 4:48 PM
I didn't mean to suggest that $2k would cover all costs. I see how it could look like that. I'm sure this could easily run to 8 or $10k before its all said and done.

Very easily, especially if this proceeds to "compel" from "demand".

-Brandon

GOEX FFF
06-01-2012, 5:23 PM
No deadline as this process is going to take some time.

-Brandon

Thanks. I'll toss over a donation on payday. :thumbsup:

eaglemike
06-01-2012, 6:01 PM
Brandon, thanks for all your work on the 2A front.

I consider the need for this a little ironic - I would think the in-house management would be taking immediate and positive action if there were the slightest hint of impropriety.

While I am in no way trained in law, from my limited readings of the election/selection procedures and practices of the CRPA, I think a problem exists.

Bolillo
06-01-2012, 7:26 PM
Confirmation number: 30T936356H295215A

chiselchst
06-01-2012, 8:03 PM
Brandon,

My pleasure.

$250 sent your way, my dear Friend.

Thanks, for all that you do Brandon...

Confirmation number: 96L522606F811511K

Can I write it off on my taxes? :D Not important, just asking... ;)

-Brandon

eaglemike
06-02-2012, 12:57 PM
Brandon, your post in the CRPA area "disappeared."

All gun owners need a strong, well organized representative. CRPA, please fix yourself. This would send a positive message that you are serious about doing the right thing.

wildhawker
06-02-2012, 1:44 PM

"I'm shocked, shocked, to find that censorship is going on in here."

-Brandon

Bolillo
06-02-2012, 1:52 PM

All gun owners need a strong, well organized representative. CRPA, please fix yourself. This would send a positive message that you are serious about doing the right thing.

The CRPA forum section here has become their one-way broadcast Potemkin Village. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Potemkin_village) CRPA execs are too thin-skinned and obviously not interested in openly engaging with their members and others in the CA firearms community.

mosinnagantm9130
06-02-2012, 4:26 PM
"I'm shocked, shocked, to find that censorship is going on in here."

-Brandon

It was probably deleted because it was cross-posted on several boards :shrug:

06-02-2012, 4:34 PM
$100 contributed - thank you for all of your work on our behalf

wildhawker
06-02-2012, 6:00 PM
Thank you, everybody, for your help and support.

-Brandon

hoffmang
06-02-2012, 7:23 PM
It was probably deleted because it was cross-posted on several boards :shrug:

Sure. That's why it's gone... :rolleyes:

Organizations that are competent simply respond to criticism - even if it's duplicative. You'll note that the loose confederation that is SaveCRPA keeps CRPA's C&D available for everyone's inspection.

-Gene

wildhawker
06-02-2012, 11:16 PM
I appreciate that you disagree, but you're not offering any solution on the merits. Namely, because you can't.

What "cardinal sins" of public discomfort trump fiduciary responsibilities and the "right thing"? The actual work of leading is a hot kitchen. You might find it more to your liking in the dining room.

I have a duty to the members of the CRPA, and, but for the recalcitrance of the CRPA executives and some board members, this would all have been competently investigated and resolved by now.

-Brandon

This is getting ridiculous - schoolyard antics at best.

Do we really, CGN and CGF need to piss on each others shoes? Really? It only stands to tear down what we have all worked so hard for.

The cardinal sin is to take internal business, especially disagreements, into the public eye. And boy it is really becoming public at this point isn't it?

Gene, Brandon, please... take a breath. No need in making a bad situation any worse than it already is.

For all of our sakes o.k.?

wildhawker
06-02-2012, 11:42 PM
Blitzburg,

I don't care who you are, and I politely decline your suggestion.

It's time to do the right thing, and so we shall.

I'd hope you would choose to be part of the solution.

-Brandon

hoffmang
06-02-2012, 11:54 PM

The people deleting things in the CRPA forum on this site are CRPA people. As such you drama is misplaced.

And simple questions for you Blitzburgh:

1. Do you have any way to hold CRPA accountable?

2. Has CRPA actually done anything for you that some co-conspirators and I didn't set in motion?

-Gene

Hunter
06-03-2012, 10:07 AM
On a side note, with the recent changes in how PAYPAL is now required to report to the IRS, I think this "donation" will be seen as income to the owner of the account and thus taxable. Have you thought of this? Unless of course the owner is a non-profit holding.

Librarian
06-03-2012, 10:20 AM
On a side note, with the recent changes in how PAYPAL is now required to report to the IRS, I think this "donation" will be seen as income to the owner of the account and thus taxable. Have you thought of this? Unless of course the owner is a non-profit holding.

A guess - since no material or performance return is expected - it's not a purchase or employment - then the transfers are gifts. So long as the gifts are under $13,000 annually to that one person, non-taxable. http://www.irs.gov/publications/p950/ar02.html

AggregatVier
06-03-2012, 11:22 AM
I'm just a bystander that is watching people who all have the same goal, our 2A rights...

And there's the problem. As a bystander you don't realize they DON'T have the same goals. Hence, the action being taken despite the discomfort of uninformed innocent bystanders.

And while if you fight a pig you both get dirty, a quick shower cleans you right up. As for the pig liking it, you get to eat bacon afterwards.

hoffmang
06-03-2012, 1:27 PM
And while if you fight a pig you both get dirty, a quick shower cleans you right up. As for the pig liking it, you get to eat bacon afterwards.

Mmm bacon. The well placed irony of that quote should not be lost on anyone!

-Gene

taperxz
06-03-2012, 1:39 PM

Do we really, CGN and CGF need to piss on each others shoes? Really? It only stands to tear down what we have all worked so hard for.

The cardinal sin is to take internal business, especially disagreements, into the public eye. And boy it is really becoming public at this point isn't it?

Gene, Brandon, please... take a breath. No need in making a bad situation any worse than it already is.

I am someone who donated blindly in this effort and even kinda questioned what Brandon was doing.

I know ONE THING. I have never seen such commitment out of individuals including Brandon, in the fight for our 2A rights.

Since theses guys know 100 times more than me, and knowing CRPA has done NOTHING for me, my insignificant wager is on Brandon.

wildhawker
06-03-2012, 7:57 PM

I wanted to thank you for your post. It's exactly correct and why we're staying focused on what we started out to do, despite the threats by CRPA executives and the whining of complicit CRPA board members, including some of those we put on the board.

I'm also laughing about the irony Gene mentioned. :chris:

-Brandon

greasemonkey
06-04-2012, 9:37 PM
Gene, Brandon, you guys are crazy. Blitzburgh's plan is spectacular, we just all need to start smiling and the establishment, the old guard, at the CRPA will start to just give back control of the organization to its membership. So scurry along now, turn a blind eye to the injustices that are damaging our Constitutional rights in California, it'll all work itself out in the end....

Brandon,

I wasn't speaking to your issues with the CRPA, and no - I'm not offering any solutions to any of the issues at hand, other than for everybody to take a deep breath and calm down a bit.

Yes, I'm fully aware of how hot that kitchen can be, but it might be best not to judge me or anyone else that you know absolutely nothing about other than a screen name and a little avatar.

Let's just leave it at that and go our seperate ways. No need to make any issue any worse than it might already be.

Smile, it will all work out in the end. One way or the other :)

greasemonkey
06-04-2012, 9:49 PM
You have hit the nail on the head, the upper leadership *knows* there is impropriety and they're scrambling to keep it that way so they can maintain control.
Brandon, thanks for all your work on the 2A front.

I consider the need for this a little ironic - I would think the in-house management would be taking immediate and positive action if there were the slightest hint of impropriety.

While I am in no way trained in law, from my limited readings of the election/selection procedures and practices of the CRPA, I think a problem exists.

No, we don't *need* CGN & CGF to be at odds with each other but as this story continues to unfold, all actions indicate that CGN just might not be interested in achieving the same goals as CGF. It's telling where CGN stands on reforming the CRPA when you consider all of the posts that have been deleted...that, my friend, is school yard antics, the constant deleting of anti-CRPA posts.

Kestryll
06-04-2012, 9:54 PM
It's telling where CGN stands on reforming the CRPA when you consider all of the posts that have been deleted...that, my friend, is school yard antics, the constant deleting of anti-CRPA posts.

The only posts that have been removed are the childish troll posts from people looking to pick a fight.

You will note that this thread is still open, I would think if I were deleting posts based on your accusations this would have been long gone.
But hey, maybe I just didn't see it... :rolleyes:

Kestryll
06-04-2012, 9:57 PM
As a side commentary on the topic of this thread, I was at the February 2012 CRPA BoD meeting.
Before the meeting I spoke with Gene, Tony and the CRPA's Corporate Attorney who had just reviewed their by-laws for compliance.

I was tired of the back and forth and asked all three is Gene and the Attorney could get up in front of the BoD and explain why each thought the by-laws were or were not in compliance with the law and answer questions from the Directors on this subject.

Unfortunately Robert's Rules which govern the meeting did not accommodate that however both the Corporate Attorney and Gene responded to the question.

CRPA's Attorney said the "The by-laws are in compliance with the California Corporations Code, they are legal."

Gene's response was 'Well, Yes, but there are some questions about 'as applied' "

This isn't 'I heard so-and-so say this', I was the one asking for both parties to take the podium and answer questions and explain why they thought there was or wasn't a legal issue.

For those unfamiliar with the term here is a brief definition:
In U.S. constitutional law, a facial challenge is a challenge to a statute in which the plaintiff alleges that the legislation is always unconstitutional, and therefore void. It is contrasted with an as-applied challenge, which alleges that a particular application of a statute is unconstitutional.

So what Gene was alleging at that time was that the by-laws were legal but he felt they were not being applied correctly or possibly even legally.

So if Gene felt then that the by-laws WERE legal why do they now need to have a new and separate review of the legality of those self same by-laws?

It seems the question that would be being asked is more are they being applied correctly not are they legal.

wildhawker
06-04-2012, 10:22 PM
Paul, to be very clear I'm saying, as a CRPA board member, that I and my counsel are investigating the Bylaws and practices of CRPA- both as-written and as-applied.

Surely you've seen enough of the Sunshine Initiative to think something would be glossed over.

So when can I expect your support?

-Brandon

greasemonkey
06-04-2012, 10:28 PM
Paul, please don't lie. There aren't *any* screen shots of all the posts you've deleted that refute your claim here, are there...please tell me more about how 'fairly' you enforce the rules here.
The only posts that have been removed are the childish troll posts from people looking to pick a fight.

You will note that this thread is still open, I would think if I were deleting posts based on your accusations this would have been long gone.
But hey, maybe I just didn't see it... :rolleyes:

The CRPA's aptitude in picking credible legal counsel seems to be wildly lacking in light of the C&D letter that an AIRPLANE MECHANIC could dissect as laughable, let alone their unwillingness to comply with a records request by a CRPA Board Member in a fashion curiously similar to many of the anti-gun StateCounty Sheriffs of California that CGF has been addressing re: PRAR's.
As a side commentary on the topic of this thread, I was at the February 2012 CRPA BoD meeting.
Before the meeting I spoke with Gene, Tony and the CRPA's Corporate Attorney who had just reviewed their by-laws for compliance.

I was tired of the back and forth and asked all three is Gene and the Attorney could get up in front of the BoD and explain why each thought the by-laws were or were not in compliance with the law and answer questions from the Directors on this subject.

Unfortunately Robert's Rules which govern the meeting did not accommodate that however both the Corporate Attorney and Gene responded to the question.

CRPA's Attorney said the "The by-laws are in compliance with the California Corporations Code, they are legal."

Gene's response was 'Well, Yes, but there are some questions about 'as applied' "

This isn't 'I heard so-and-so say this', I was the one asking for both parties to take the podium and answer questions and explain why they thought there was or wasn't a legal issue.

For those unfamiliar with the term here is a brief definition:

So what Gene was alleging at that time was that the by-laws were legal but he felt they were not being applied correctly or possibly even legally.

So if Gene felt then that the by-laws WERE legal why do they now need to have a new and separate review of the legality of those self same by-laws?

It seems the question that would be being asked is more are they being applied correctly not are they legal.

wildhawker
06-05-2012, 5:43 PM
Bumping this up.

-Brandon

greasemonkey
06-05-2012, 11:34 PM
$50 on the new Google Checkout link. Ridiculous that, of all the 'legal counsel' the CRPA has paid for, this is STILL going on.

UPDATE 6/5/12: PayPal locked the account with a "non-appealable decision" (it's "high-risk gun-related activity"), and so I had to have them refund every single contribution made so far. Otherwise, they would have locked the money for 180 days. If you've contributed, please look for a refund of 100% of your money sent through PayPal. PLEASE HELP BY RE-SENDING YOUR CONTRIBUTION THROUGH MY GOOGLE CHECKOUT ACCOUNT LINKED HERE (http://blog.wildhawker.com/2012/06/personal-request-from-crpa-board-of.html).

Connor P Price
06-06-2012, 9:03 AM
Shoulda used G-pal...

To soon? :chris:

I'll send some in this weekend once I've been paid.

NoJoke
06-06-2012, 9:17 AM
Bumped some more into the war chest.

RazzB7
06-06-2012, 9:29 AM
Paypal at it's finest...once again.

HowardW56
06-06-2012, 1:00 PM
Shoulda used G-pal...

To soon? :chris:

:no:

Couldn't resist, could you....

DoomeD
06-06-2012, 1:17 PM
$50 sent
Google order number: 929593627614565

madmike
06-06-2012, 1:34 PM
You might take a look at https://payments.amazon.com/ for the future.

wildhawker
06-06-2012, 2:40 PM
Here's a visual of the new Google Checkout precess:

http://img225.imageshack.us/img225/5851/crpabylawslegalcontribu.jpg (http://blog.wildhawker.com/2012/06/personal-request-from-crpa-board-of.html)

-Brandon

dantodd
06-06-2012, 3:31 PM
I can't imagine how much money PayPal has just cost you. Google Wallet is all but unusable and you has such great response in the first 24 hrs. of the initiative.

wildhawker
06-06-2012, 3:36 PM
Unfortunately, there are really no good options. I wish there were.

-Brandon

dantodd
06-06-2012, 3:45 PM
Unfortunately, there are really no good options. I wish there were.

-Brandon

It would be nice if there were recourse against a financial institute that refused to process payments for a legal product. I'd shudder to think how hard an AG would come down on PayPal I'd they refused to accept payments for the NAACP or Planned Parenthood.

06-06-2012, 3:50 PM
WTH? F Paypal. $100 re-sent!

dantodd
06-06-2012, 3:50 PM
If both VISA and Master Card followed PayPal's lead it would have a tremendous chilling effect on the 2nd amendment. You have actual demonstrable damages and it is primarily a first amendment claim, not a second.

dave_cg
06-06-2012, 7:25 PM
It would be nice if there were recourse against a financial institute that refused to process payments for a legal product.
Paypal is not a bank. They go out of their way to stay not-a-bank. They lobby heavily to stay not-a-bank.

IMO, they should be regulated like a bank. That is the one thing they do not want. But apply the 'duck' test. IMO, Paypal is a bank. I've written congress-critters about this topic before. No response.

hoffmang
06-06-2012, 8:24 PM
Paul/Kes,

The recent ineptness of the C&D does call counsel's either competence or "client control" into question. I can tell you that my independent consultation with a non profit law expert has shifted the analysis from the last time you and I talked about this issue. Due to certain... Obligations.... Of the CRPA board to it's board members (which begs the question of whether there are any board members of CRPA at all!) it makes sense for Brandon to spearhead the third party legal analysis, and hence this thread.

-Gene

*waves at the unelected incompetent officers of CRPA*

dantodd
06-06-2012, 8:26 PM
Paypal is not a bank. They go out of their way to stay not-a-bank. They lobby heavily to stay not-a-bank.

IMO, they should be regulated like a bank. That is the one thing they do not want. But apply the 'duck' test. IMO, Paypal is a bank. I've written congress-critters about this topic before. No response.

You'll notice I didn't use the word "bank."

taperxz
06-07-2012, 6:17 PM
Done with a bump.

NoJoke
06-07-2012, 8:12 PM
I'll get some more out tomorrow.

thedrickel
06-07-2012, 8:16 PM
Well that was a ***** but I resent :)

wildhawker
06-07-2012, 8:20 PM
I know it's a PIA, and the extra effort to help is genuinely appreciated. As of right now, we're behind where we were two days ago by about $1,200 in contributions due to the PayPal fiasco.

-Brandon

stix213
06-07-2012, 10:23 PM
OMG just noticed my contribution was refunded. I freaking hate paypal. Their arbitary locking of my account effectively destroyed a business of mine some years ago and cost me several tens of thousands of dollars from customers I already had signed up, since I was stupid enough to try using their recurring payment feature. When they lock your account over a single erronious complaint, they also cancel forever all recurring payments to you for services you've signed up until your account is unlocked.... which they are anything but prompt with. I can't say I hate paypal enough.

Yes you can contact your customers again and try to get them to sign up once more, but that is difficult and you already look extremely sketchy and unprofessional if you account was locked for any reason, no matter if it were your fault or not, so most customers don't come back.

So here is another $50 again, hope Google works better for you ;)

Order date: Jun 7, 2012 10:17 PM PDT
Google order number: 924256165374718

goober
06-07-2012, 10:44 PM
re-done.

chiselchst
06-08-2012, 5:37 PM
Brandon,

PP funds have been returned to my account. Check on the way to you for original +$100, for the hassle. My pleasure Brandon...

Thanks for everything Brandon; thanks for your 2A dedication...I have no other way to express my appreciation for your work.

I owe you a beer next time we cross paths ;) And I look forward to that...

CaliforniaLiberal
06-08-2012, 10:22 PM
Re-sent re-donation. Added a little more cause it pissed me off.

chiz
06-09-2012, 4:37 PM
I have tried to resend mine and it says you are no longer accepting payment through google.

wildhawker
06-09-2012, 4:47 PM
Working with Google to fix it. They want me to convert to a full commercial account for this. I think it is possible we'll be back in good shape early next week. Until then please lean on snail mail and checks.

RP1911
06-09-2012, 5:17 PM
you get my re-send via Google or do I need to send a check?

Paul S
06-10-2012, 2:30 PM
I know it's a PIA, and the extra effort to help is genuinely appreciated. As of right now, we're behind where we were two days ago by about $1,200 in contributions due to the PayPal fiasco.

-Brandon

Please PM me with your mailing address. I inadvertently zapped it when I trashed the earlier email note re: the Paypal fiasco.

Paul S

ETA: Duh..sorry I overlooked it. Got it...check goes out in tomorrow's mail.

wildhawker
06-10-2012, 3:01 PM
Mobile. Mailing address is in the OP.

DrDavid
06-10-2012, 4:57 PM
Hey Brandon.... Looks like Google cut you off too! :(

I gave you a call; I think I might be able to help. Give me a call back when you have a moment :)

wildhawker
06-10-2012, 5:39 PM
Just a quick update that DrDavid (an IT/web pro) and I have connected; he's very generously going to setup something that should work quite well for accepting contributions to the CRPA bylaws legal analysis war chest.

Here's a big *thank you* to DrDavid!

-Brandon

Manolito
06-10-2012, 7:37 PM
OK I am an old retired guy that would walk a mile to avoid a fight. Having said that I hate with a passion a thief and some one who uses their position for wrong doing.
Sending money is one way to help. My question is how do I help on a daily basis. I am looking at this as a drain on limited funds to promote the second and its rights.

Is there any way to help other than sending money?

Thanks
Respectfully,
Bill

Brandon I am a nobody so you don't have to guess about me.
Bill

NoJoke
06-10-2012, 7:44 PM
Thanks David, was gonna throw some more money in the bucket and got denied by google.

wildhawker
06-10-2012, 8:27 PM
Bill,

I'm not sure I fully understand your post.

As far as how you can help with the efforts to ensure that CRPA operates a democratic election process and - at a minimum - functions in accordance with all relevant state laws, the clear first step is the legal analysis of the bylaws that's underway. The way to support that is by contributing to the war chest, the subject of this thread.

Beyond that, feel free to contact CRPA president Tony Montanarella (s.montanarella@crpa.org) and executive director John Fields (mailto:jcfields@crpa.org) and demand that all necessary reforms are placed on the agenda for the next meeting of the board of directors. I would ask that you please do cc me here (crpa@bcombs.net) so that your email isn't just lost and ignored by the CRPA executives who are working very hard to oppose these reform efforts.

I hope this answers your questions.

-Brandon

OK I am an old retired guy that would walk a mile to avoid a fight. Having said that I hate with a passion a thief and some one who uses their position for wrong doing.
Sending money is one way to help. My question is how do I help on a daily basis. I am looking at this as a drain on limited funds to promote the second and its rights.

Is there any way to help other than sending money?

Thanks
Respectfully,
Bill

Brandon I am a nobody so you don't have to guess about me.
Bill

wildhawker
06-11-2012, 12:32 AM
WE'RE BACK UP!

Contribute at bcombs.net! (https://bcombs.net/contribute-now/)

A huge thank you to DrDavid for his very generous creation of a website and form to facilitate this!

-Brandon

stix213
06-11-2012, 1:25 AM
Did all the Google based contributions you received prior to needing to convert your account go through?

wildhawker
06-11-2012, 1:34 AM
Did all the Google based contributions you received prior to needing to convert your account go through?

It *appears* so, but I won't know until Google confirms this week.

-Brandon

Flintlock Tom
06-11-2012, 9:17 AM
It *appears* so, but I won't know until Google confirms this week.

-Brandon
So, what was their objection?

DrDavid
06-11-2012, 9:27 AM

Can't do donations on google checkout.

greasemonkey
06-11-2012, 9:47 AM

Can't do donations on google checkout.
Google doesn't seem to differentiate 'contributions' from 'donations'.

DrDavid
06-11-2012, 9:50 AM
Google doesn't seem to differentiate 'contributions' from 'donations'.
I like Google Checkout, but even for a bona-fide service, they can be pretty strange to work with. GC is really for shippable goods IMHO.

greasemonkey
06-11-2012, 10:41 AM
I use Google checkout/wallet quite a bit, as well, it's very convenient for purchases.
I like Google Checkout, but even for a bona-fide service, they can be pretty strange to work with. GC is really for shippable goods IMHO.

DrDavid
06-11-2012, 10:51 AM
I use Google checkout/wallet quite a bit, as well, it's very convenient for purchases.
Yup! I used them exclusively a few years ago (they were free back then ;) ), but their best features were only rolled out to "special customers"... So, while Evernote could use GC for subscriptions, lowly me couldn't.

Then, they raised the rates, started being less open about stuff, and reports of GC accounts being closed for no reason started emerging. I left.

NoJoke
06-11-2012, 11:12 AM
WE'RE BACK UP!

Contribute at bcombs.net! (https://bcombs.net/contribute-now/)

A huge thank you to DrDavid for his very generous creation of a website and form to facilitate this!

-Brandon

Done! Piece of cake too.

DrDavid
06-11-2012, 11:15 AM
Done! Piece of cake too.
:clap: Glad to see my wizardry is working.. LOL

ontargetrange
06-11-2012, 2:53 PM
So I have resent my $500

I am sick of certain "Old Boy" groups in the gun business. ALL of them need to understand that we need to get the not gray haired people involved in this business or we will all ultimately fail. We can only win if we keep getting new members of the groups and that goes for the board members as well.

We "older" folks need to train a new generation and keep it open for all to see and learn how to be a great representative of our future in firearms.

Go Get Them Brandon!

greasemonkey
06-11-2012, 9:06 PM
So I have resent my $500

I am sick of certain "Old Boy" groups in the gun business. ALL of them need to understand that we need to get the not gray haired people involved in this business or we will all ultimately fail. We can only win if we keep getting new members of the groups and that goes for the board members as well.

We "older" folks need to train a new generation and keep it open for all to see and learn how to be a great representative of our future in firearms.

Go Get Them Brandon!

A whole lot of wisdom in that. Thank you again for your support and your patience in dealing with us younger folks getting involved.

HowardW56
06-11-2012, 9:12 PM
So I have resent my $500

Go Get Them Brandon!

Not that i don't agree with you, but did you have to pick on grey hair... That is the only color I have, of the little hair I have left....

You hit the nail right on the head...

Brandon...... just let me know when I can help some more...

DrDavid
06-12-2012, 12:23 AM
Brandon...... just let me know when I can help some more...
With all the issues surrounding payment methods, I think Brandon is short of where he was to begin with...

So, contributing is a good thing :)

CaliforniaLiberal
06-12-2012, 7:35 PM
Bumpity, bumpity, bump, bump.

wildhawker
06-13-2012, 3:19 AM
Thank you for the bump. There's many lawyer hours left to pay for.

-Brandon

Flintlock Tom
06-13-2012, 8:42 AM
Yikes, I just looked at the table of donations and noticed that mine was the smallest donation on the list!
How embarrassing!
So, I went back and donated again, problem solved.

mrrsquared79
06-13-2012, 12:26 PM
Anyone else happen to notice the screen cap for the video of this fire which completely destroyed the building adjacent to CRPA was taken from the front door of the CRPA headquarters?!!

http://abclocal.go.com/kabc/story?section=news/local/orange_county&id=8681580

The reporter is standing pretty much at the front door of the CRPA headquarters since the address where the fire took place is at 231 Imperial Hwy Fullerton, CA 92835 and CRPA is at 271 Imperial Hwy, Fullerton, CA 92835.

wildhawker
06-13-2012, 2:50 PM
Another big thank you to everyone for growing the war chest. I would love to see otherwise but it's likely that we're going to be spending quite a bit more money to fix the CRPA before we're through.

FYI that my laptop died but I've finally got to a computer and updated the spreadsheet.

-Brandon

4DSJW
06-13-2012, 5:57 PM
Donation sent and a free ride back to the top. Making a donation is an easy way to help... hopefully everyone will kick in whatever they can.

Thank you for your hard work!

Experimentalist
06-13-2012, 6:14 PM
Thought I'd be cute and put exactly the amount that, when the service tax is subtracted, would work out to a nice round number.

Sadly, it won't let you include the "change" portion. Integer dollars only.

Ah, the lamented penny!

Cash inbound. Good luck!

DrDavid
06-13-2012, 6:28 PM
Thought I'd be cute and put exactly the amount that, when the service tax is subtracted, would work out to a nice round number.

Sadly, it won't let you include the "change" portion. Integer dollars only.

Ah, the lamented penny!

Cash inbound. Good luck!
Just fixed the form so that you CAN enter any amount you want; even pennies.

But, we need some testers.. So, anyone who wants to test out the form and ensure that they can, indeed, contribute any amount they want (including cents), can feel free to do so. Report success or failure!

DrDavid
06-17-2012, 8:14 PM
Just thought I'd bump this thread.. Seems to have gotten lost.

kcbrown
06-17-2012, 9:03 PM
Just kicked $200 into the pot. Brandon should be receiving it in a few days.

Davidwhitewolf
06-19-2012, 8:34 PM
$500 on its way by good old-fashioned paper check.

Lacunacraft
06-24-2012, 4:52 PM
BUMP. This needs to be higher up due to the Yee bill. We need an effective Gun rights org in California badly.

liv4spd
07-06-2012, 9:52 PM
Just finished donating what I could afford - thank you Brandon for fighting the good fight! You're efforts are very much appreciated.

Cheers
R

Note:
Just fixed the form so that you CAN enter any amount you want; even pennies.

But, we need some testers.. So, anyone who wants to test out the form and ensure that they can, indeed, contribute any amount they want (including cents), can feel free to do so. Report success or failure!

I just used it - and worked fine.

taperxz
07-09-2012, 8:58 PM
Bump

wildhawker
07-09-2012, 11:28 PM
Just an update that there has been significant progress on the CRPA Bylaws legal evaluation.

In my opinion and based on the facts I have at this time, CRPA President Tony Montanarella's reassurances that the organization is operating in accordance with California nonprofit law very much appears to be either purposefully disingenuous or is misguided based upon his reliance on defective counsel.

-Brandon

readysetgo
09-15-2012, 1:48 PM
Any news? Annual board meeting has passed. Oh, and bcombs.net is offline.

qUoNVxY7-9s

jdoane9724
09-15-2012, 9:04 PM
Brandon,

Is this something to worry about? Your contribution page puts this up....

Maintenance Mode

Brandon Combs is currently undergoing scheduled maintenance.

Please try back in 3 days, 18 hours, and 48 minutes
(on September 19, 2012 at 10:49 pm).

Sorry for the inconvenience.

wildhawker
09-15-2012, 10:49 PM
All,

I took down bcombs.net temporarily for professional and personal reasons while it's being redesigned and while some moving parts are in motion. I and others will have more on the 'why' soon.

However, the spreadsheet is still public and accessible at http://bit.ly/crpa_bylaws_analysis.

I can tell you this now, with a more substantive update to follow as soon as I can (there are both logistical and legal considerations here):

1. I was not able to attend the Board meeting due to 2 family members being diagnosed with cancer requiring immediate follow-up pre-op procedures and legal/financial analysis in the same week (just prior to the meeting). There were too many irons in the fire, and, in this instance, I had to put family first.

2. The legal analysis that my lawyer undertook formed the basis of significant follow-on correspondence and legal/executive activity. These activities are ongoing.

3. I can't speak to some of the details, but I can say that Mr. Montanarella et al. were quite wrong in outright dismissing my and former board members' concerns about the Bylaws.

4. CRPA counsel have determined that Robert's Rules are not superseding of eligible members' statutory right to vote by proxy. This is a significant data point and one Gene and I will be discussing in more detail as possible.

5. CRPA executives are even more incompetent and dangerous to our cause and than I had previously feared.

6. CRPA is growing more and more entrenched; the Old Guard are reforming their ranks and entirely resistant to adopting real reforms and modeling the organization after our highly-successful parent org, NRA.

The bottom line is that CRPA may very well be an organization that our best efforts cannot save from itself. That doesn't mean that members are entirely powerless - see #4 - but it does mean that the proxy numbers required to meet the Bylaws' thresholds for special meeting initiation and quorum, not to mention the substantial limits as to how members can affect the operation of a corporation - would be an expensive and uncertain endeavor for anyone so inclined.

-Brandon

kcbrown
09-15-2012, 11:43 PM
Sure hope your family members recover fully and healthily, Brandon. My best wishes are with you and them.

wildhawker
09-16-2012, 12:06 AM
Sure hope your family members recover fully and healthily, Brandon. My best wishes are with you and them.

Thanks, KCB. 2 surgeries this week; we'll see how it goes.

-Brandon

fiddletown
09-16-2012, 12:43 AM
Brandon,

Sorry to hear about your family members. My very best wishes that it all works out well.

huntercf
09-16-2012, 12:56 AM
Brandon, hoping for a speedy recovery for your family members.

Also, instead of all this infighting and fracterization would it be feasible just to start a new organization and let the hard heads fade off?

Window_Seat
09-16-2012, 9:05 AM
Brandon,

I hope and will pray that your family members recover completely.

I have a close relative with cancer, as it does slightly run in my family, so I have an idea of what that's like.

Erik.

CaliforniaLiberal
09-16-2012, 9:23 AM
Take care of yourself and your family Brandon, hope that all works out well for all of you.

Thanks for all that you have done on behalf of all of us and the cause of Gun Rights. We'll look forward to seeing more of your hard work a little down the road when you're not needed so urgently at home.

Good Luck and Good Medical Outcomes to You and Yours.

Experimentalist
09-16-2012, 10:35 AM
Brandon, I certainly hope the best for your family. It's always a shock to the system when such things come up.

The good news is that there have been a lot of advances in cancer therapies over the years, and it sounds like the medical response is well underway.

I'll keep my fingers crossed, prayers working, and the voodoo JuJu flowing. Whatever works to bring about a positive outcome.

Goosebrown
09-16-2012, 12:03 PM
Thoughts are with you Brandon. Good luck.

Lacunacraft
09-17-2012, 12:19 AM
My thoughts are with you and your family. I wish them both a quick surgery recovery and an eventual victory over their cancer.