PDA

View Full Version : 870 questions?

Chameleon Loco
05-31-2012, 11:05 PM
For my first shotgun I am planning on getting a remington 870 police shotgun. I have a few questions about the model I am looking at. It says it has a fixed I/C choke what does that mean? Also the sights are a bead sight, would it be possible to change them to bead night sights? Finally what it a quick detach stud? The main purpose of this weapon will be hd, but I would like to take it once on a while for trap shooting.

BigDogatPlay
05-31-2012, 11:27 PM
It says it has a fixed I/C choke what does that mean?

IC = Improved Cylinder, meaning it's just slightly more constricted at the muzzle than the actual diameter of the bore. At the actual diameter it would be termed Cylinder. These two levels of choke are pretty much the standard on fighting shotguns over the past many decades and you can fire any type of shell through it from bird shot, to buck shot, to rifled slugs.

Also the sights are a bead sight, would it be possible to change them to bead night sights?

That would be a plain round bead, probably on a slightly raised base at the muzzle and groove on top of the receiver. The bead can be changed out for any manner of higher visibility sights. There's bunches of threads on different options scattered through this forum. If you have the desire to put a Ghost Ring rear sight on, that would often involve a trip to a gunsmith to have the receiver drilled and tapped. For what it's worth, since this is your first shotgun, leave the plain bead alone for a while and take a class or two to learn how to run your gun the right way. There's plenty of time down the road to play with different sights.

Finally what it a quick detach stud?

To attach a sling to, using quick detach sling swivels.

The main purpose of this weapon will be hd, but I would like to take it once on a while for trap shooting.

Informal clay shooting should be plenty of fun. If you go to an established, formal trap range you may have issues with the short defensive barrel. Some clubs and ranges have barrel length minimums. If you do get the bug to shoot clays formally you'll eventually want to purchase a different barrel, 26 to 28 inch, equipped with interchangeable choke tubes.

Or.... a different gun specific to shooting clays. :D

NYCShooter
06-01-2012, 8:27 AM
Also the sights are a bead sight, would it be possible to change them to bead night sights?

Many people epoxy an XS Big Dot tritium front sight over the existing bead: http://www.xssights.com/index.php?nID=sights&cID=Sights&pID=sights&sID=shotgun

edlacy
06-06-2012, 8:27 AM
Many people epoxy an XS Big Dot tritium front sight over the existing bead: http://www.xssights.com/index.php?nID=sights&cID=Sights&pID=sights&sID=shotgun

+1 This is a great sight for HD.

john.t.singh
06-06-2012, 9:12 AM
i wouldn't mess with the shotgun, instead invest in a few different barrels. You can get a longer barrel that actually accepts chokes for skeet/hunting, and a 18" barrel for HD. Invest in a good white light that will splash a bit on the Front Sight and you should be good. Regardless you will want to illuminate what you are shooting at night, and the beat will work fine with some white light.