PDA

View Full Version : Applying for LTC when I live in two different counties

The Original Godfather
05-31-2012, 6:53 PM
I'm a registered voter in Santa Clara county but I also have residence in Fresno.

SCC is pretty much impossible to get a LTC, but Fresno would be much easier. Can I still get a LTC in Fresno County and still carry when I'm in Santa Clara?

I'm in Santa Clara half of any given month.

dantodd
05-31-2012, 6:56 PM
If you are actually resident in Fresno and not just a home owner you can apply there. If you are in Santa Clara half of each month just spend one extra day in Fresno for 50% +1 day in Fresno to remove any ambiguity on the definition of "resident."

You might need to change your voter registration but that's easy enough and can be redone at will.

taperxz
05-31-2012, 7:03 PM
Drivers license, voter reg, utility bills all equal main residence. Vehicle reg is also a plus.

It doesn't matter where most of your time is spent. Some have permanent residences but travel a lot or work out of their area.

paul0660
05-31-2012, 7:16 PM
Can I still get a LTC in Fresno County and still carry when I'm in Santa Clara?

A LTC is good throughout the state.

Fjold
05-31-2012, 7:48 PM
Drivers license, voter reg, utility bills all equal main residence. Vehicle reg is also a plus.

It doesn't matter where most of your time is spent. Some have permanent residences but travel a lot or work out of their area.

+1, make sure all of the above is in Fresno.

The Original Godfather
05-31-2012, 7:52 PM
Drivers License is my SCC address as well as my registered voter status. Vehicle is registered in SCC (better insurance rate I guess).

I have utility bills and cell phone bill that is Fresno, and of course a lease agreement for the apartment.

In order to get a LTC in Fresno, do I have to prove MAIN residence or just any residence?

taperxz
05-31-2012, 8:02 PM
Drivers License is my SCC address as well as my registered voter status. Vehicle is registered in SCC (better insurance rate I guess).

I have utility bills and cell phone bill that is Fresno, and of course a lease agreement for the apartment.

In order to get a LTC in Fresno, do I have to prove MAIN residence or just any residence?

Put it this way, if this ^^is your situation, the way things currently work, they will consider you a resident of Santa Clara Co.

Librarian
05-31-2012, 8:26 PM
PC 26510 is the piece of code we're talking about, to wit (3) The applicant is a resident of the county or a city within the
county,There's no definition for that.

Probably they would follow Government Code 244 244.
In determining the place of residence the following rules shall be observed:

(a) It is the place where one remains when not called elsewhere for labor or other special or temporary purpose, and to which he or she returns in seasons of repose.

(b) There can only be one residence.

(c) A residence cannot be lost until another is gained.

(d) The residence of the parent with whom an unmarried minor child maintains his or her place of abode is the residence of such unmarried minor child.

(e) The residence of an unmarried minor who has a parent living cannot be changed by his or her own act.

(f) The residence can be changed only by the union of act and intent.

(g) A married person shall have the right to retain his or her legal residence in the State of California notwithstanding the legal residence or domicile of his or her spouse.

There's an AG opinion (http://ag.ca.gov/opinions/pdfs/01-608.pdf) partially on point, which says, in part In analyzing whether a new domicile has been acquired by a public officer, we have traditionally considered such indicia as the address shown on the personís tax returns, driverís license, homeownerís exemption, telephone listing, voter registration, and automobile registration. (75 Ops.Cal.Atty.Gen., supra, at p. 289.)That seems to me to be a reasonable approach for an agency that issues LTC, so long as county residence is a requirement of the law.

The Original Godfather
05-31-2012, 8:47 PM
Thanks for the input.

Maybe I should just ask the Sheriff's office and see how they feel about it. :shrug:

jaymz
05-31-2012, 8:54 PM
I'd be willing to bet that your residence will be considered whatever your DL says.

taperxz
05-31-2012, 9:12 PM
Thanks for the input.

Maybe I should just ask the Sheriff's office and see how they feel about it. :shrug:

Or, if your really a resident of Fresno, you could change your ID, car reg, and voter reg to Fresno? :shrug:

someR1
05-31-2012, 9:16 PM

Best thing to do is change both of those to Fresno, THEN apply. ;)

anthonyca
05-31-2012, 9:21 PM
With the insane cost of living in the bay area, many people stay with family during the week and have another place to live that is out of the area. Some of these people I know only go to the out of area home every couple of weeks when they are very busy at work.

I have often wondered how that would work for a LTC.

dantodd
05-31-2012, 10:03 PM
With the insane cost of living in the bay area, many people stay with family during the week and have another place to live that is out of the area. Some of these people I know only go to the out of area home every couple of weeks when they are very busy at work.

I have often wondered how that would work for a LTC.

I suspect the sheriff would look at things like vehicle reg. DL address etc. as primary indicators of whether you meet the def. of a resident. I've heard reports that in some counties where vacation homes are common used to interview neighbors, don't know if this still takes place.

CrackedShot
06-01-2012, 10:29 AM
Should not be a problem, Sheriff Smith routinely issues permits to persons who are not Santa Clara County residents. She has been doing it for years. Give it a try.

The Original Godfather
06-03-2012, 1:14 PM
Should not be a problem, Sheriff Smith routinely issues permits to persons who are not Santa Clara County residents. She has been doing it for years. Give it a try.

Did I read that right? :confused:

dantodd
06-03-2012, 3:33 PM
Did I read that right? :confused:

Yes, but only for politically influential people and rich donors to her campaigns.

CrackedShot
06-03-2012, 5:08 PM
OK, I did leave out that detail, sorry.