PDA

View Full Version : Steyr USR help.

Shawn L
05-31-2012, 5:31 PM
A buddy of mine has a Steyr USR he's trying to sell, but he registered it as an AW before the ban.

I noticed that it's not on the ban list anymore and was wondering what he needs to do to sell.

I'm thinking that he just needs to put a magazine lock and 10 round mags. Is there anything he has to do with the DOJ.

Sicarius
06-01-2012, 12:13 AM
Unfortunately it is not so easy. The USR was never on the ban list to begin with. Only the AUG was. Anyways, he will have to get in touch with the DOJ and basically unregister it before selling it. Otherwise, in this state, the USR will follow him to the grave and the DOJ will be there to pick it up and turn it into a manhole cover. He can always sell it out of state without any issues of unregistering it...
Kevin

darqhelmet
06-01-2012, 8:21 AM
Why the heck would he sell a reg AW? He is golden free dropping standard cap mags.

Shawn L
06-01-2012, 8:57 AM
Thanks Sicarius I'll let him know to start making some calls.

Darqhelmet I told him the same thing, I guess some peoples priorities change as they get older.

Sicarius
06-01-2012, 9:15 AM
Unfortunately the USR isn't worth what it use to be due to the release of the A3 and the AUG clones. The USR only really appeals to Californians since it is not on the ban list. Granted there are only 3000 imported, anybody that wants a Aug platform has pretty much bought a clone and are quite happy with them. He might want to consider keeping it. Still unregistering it might be a good option if he wants to be able to pass it onto somebody or sell it. He just shouldn't expect to get top dollar thought it is a true Steyr and A2 receiver...
Kevin

jchen76@gmail.com
06-01-2012, 9:26 AM
Saw a USR at Texas gunshow when I visited that state in February. It was dyed black, with a zeiss red-dot, vendor asked $2599 for the combo, and he was willing to haggle. If your friend is willing to sell within the state after it was de-registered, probably could get $2200 to 2500 or so depending on condition, accessories, and maglock installed. Last one I saw on FS section for USR went just a little under 3k, that was before explosion of MSAR AUG clones that hit the cali market. There's other choices for bullpups now, FN FS2000, and hopefully Tavor coming out.

Sicarius
06-01-2012, 10:46 AM
The A3 goes for 2k-ish online new. As much as the USR is in sorts a collector piece, It is a neutered A2 so it would probably go for less than 2k... I have one currently and I did sell one before the MSARs came out for 3k new, no box.
Kevin