PDA

View Full Version : Thinking of trading off my dirt bike

Jedidiah
05-12-2007, 12:01 PM
I have a 98 YZ 400 that my doctor told me I can't ride anymore so I'm thinking of trading it off for gun stuff.

Let me be up front with you it does have a salvaged title(which I do have). I'm not sure what happened to it but it's nothing that I have been able to notice. It is in great running condition, very powerful. It is green stickered until 2009. I just had Josh Boykin redo the suspension last year. He is very popular for his suspension work, you can see his website here http://www.boykinsuspension.com/. It cost me over 400 dollars to do. It has a White brothers exhaust system. I will try to post pics of it tomorrow. I am open to all trades but I'd really like a nice ar upper, maybe a custom m4 setup or 20" setup. Let me know what you have or if anyone is even interested.

Thanks,
Jedidiah

Edited to add I'd really like a 14.5" upper with permanently attached flash hider. The type of upper receiver isn't too important but on a 20" I'd like a flat top. Or I can sell for cash for $900.00

AJAX22
05-12-2007, 7:03 PM
Wow, this is an incredible deal.

I wish I was able to take advantage of it. the YZ400 is a great bike.

I'd pull the custom wilson 20 inch stainless with the free float off of my stag to swap in a heartbeat if I had a place to store it and my truck wasn't on blocks back at the parents homestead.

Not that you'll need it, but good luck with the sale, someone's going to be really happy, I wish it could have been me.

TacFan
05-12-2007, 10:01 PM
PM sent

ZapThyCat
05-12-2007, 11:32 PM
Any way this can be made into a street legal (dual sport or enduro) bike?

PatrickM.
05-13-2007, 1:44 AM
I got got myself a 99 YZ 400f and I love the bike!!!

I would not mind trading you some guns so I can have that bike for parts!!!!

Anybody that get this bike is in for a lot of fun!!!!!!

Bump, Bump, Bump!!!!!

Patrick M.

PS: if you are willing to part it out, I would love to take that suspension off your hands

Jedidiah
05-13-2007, 8:10 AM
PM sent to tacfan and Patrickm. Zapthycat, I'm pretty sure you could set this up for enduro. Just get a bigger gas tank and they sell kits to wire up the lights and what not.

Jedidiah
05-13-2007, 2:35 PM
Pictures added

Jedidiah
05-14-2007, 8:28 PM
Haven't had any good trades come up so I added a selling price if anyone is interested. The price is very cheap.

billyjoblack
05-14-2007, 11:34 PM
ok' p22 od 5''barrel and olympic arms partner 17m2 16'' upper sooo fun?????

Bobula
05-15-2007, 9:18 AM
where are you located?

JPglee1
05-15-2007, 9:23 AM
Damn man...I have an AR kit (everything minus the lower) for an XM-style clone...

IF your YZ can be made street legal with a Baja Designs kit, Id trade you the AR in a heartbeat for it...it could save me some $$$ riding it around town...

Gimme a PM if you're interested in talking about this...

Im motivated...

J

Tweak338
05-15-2007, 9:48 AM
Damn man...I have an AR kit (everything minus the lower) for an XM-style clone...

IF your YZ can be made street legal with a Baja Designs kit, Id trade you the AR in a heartbeat for it...it could save me some $$$ riding it around town...

Gimme a PM if you're interested in talking about this...

Im motivated...

J

Hey JP,
Baja doesn't make a Street legal kit for 2-strokes.
Only 4-strokes can be made street legal, sorry dude.

JPglee1
05-15-2007, 9:57 AM
Hey JP,
Baja doesn't make a Street legal kit for 2-strokes.
Only 4-strokes can be made street legal, sorry dude.

Its a YZ400, its a 5 valve single cylinder 4 stroke ;)

I used to race professionally prior to my injury...JP knows his Yuh-mah-hahs... lol :cool2:

If its green stickered and its a 98 4 stroke it should be legal to go street legal with it... I already have an R6 cluster switch (headlight/blinkers/horn/choke) and a set of (4) surface mount LED blinkers along with a YS1 headlight w/high/low beam indicator in it and a digital speedometer for a mountain bike.

I was gonna convert my 1972 Suzuki 2 stroke 400 into a dualsport but I sold it. I still have all the stuff except for a battery and a horn to make that bike street legal...

Would be a sweet way to save on gas. I only drive about 50 miles a week but sometimes I gotta go 200 in a day...

J

Tweak338
05-15-2007, 10:05 AM
I thought YZ's were 2strokers??
I don't really look into dirtbikes anymore now that I cought BRD...

JPglee1
05-15-2007, 10:20 AM
I thought YZ's were 2strokers??
I don't really look into dirtbikes anymore now that I cought BRD...

Its a YZF400... In 98 Yamaha released the YZ400F and then the YZ426F and finally the YZ450F

http://www.mcnews.com.au/NewBikeCatalogue/2003/Yamaha/YZ450F/03_YZ450F_RHS.jpg

Thats a YZ450, but they look exactly the same....

http://www.motorsports-network.com/yamaha/yzf400ds/open4.jpg
Heres one with a Baja Designs kit on it (well its a WR version...wide ratio trans and lighting coil)

http://www.motorsports-network.com/yamaha/yzf400ds/contrl2.jpg
This is the same cluster switch I already have to do the conversion...

Im thinking it might be fairly "easy" to convert it to street duty with all the parts I have...he hasn't responded to me yet.. Heck maybe I could get it and sell it for more than I could sell the rifle for? I dunno... Id be down to trade tho.

Baja Designs added their dual sport kit turning our WR into a serious dual sport contender. The kit includes a wiring harness, turn signals, horn, handlebar mounted control switch, brake light switch, drop down aluminum license plate hanger, voltage regulator/rectifier, a sealed ni-cad battery, and installation instructions. The kit is said to add less than 4 pounds and sells for $385. An optional kit, meeting all DOT requirements, includes a headlight and tail light and retails for $439.

JP

rocknut
05-19-2007, 4:02 PM
I have a few guns you might be interested in. Can you send a PM with your location and any pics if you have them? I also have a friend with cash that will likely be interested.

Bonecrusher
05-19-2007, 8:50 PM
That quotes for the WR line. Basically the same as the YZ, but the WR's are geared a little more for the wide open desert riding, which would make it a better candidate for for dual sport. Im pretty sure the kit would work on the YZ though. I have a feeling he's not gonna let that bike go for $900 though;) Even with a salvage title, assuming the frames not been tweaked or welded, you could get an easy $1500-$2000 here on the west coast. Im recovering from back surgery and had to get rid of my bike's or I'd definitely be on this.

Bonecrusher
05-19-2007, 9:09 PM
Oops, I just noticed someone already pointed out the gearing difference.

QuickOnTheDraw
05-19-2007, 9:33 PM
Could you post your location please?

Jedidiah
05-19-2007, 11:18 PM
Sorry, I am in Turlock, CA just south of Modesto. I've looked around and the bikes without salvaged titles are going from 1500-2000 so I priced mine at what I thought was a fair price. I figured that having the salvaged title would bring it down quite a bit. No, it doesn't have a tweaked frame or anything. From what I was told from the guy I bought it from it was stolen and the insurance company paid a claim out on it. Now, I don't know if this is true or not but I did have the bike checked out before I bought it and was told it was good to go. It's a great bike and has served me well but my back is bad and the work I do is hard enough as it is. I don't need something else putting stress on my back.

rocknut
05-23-2007, 10:08 AM
http://i134.photobucket.com/albums/q110/rocknutde/100_2373.jpg

http://i134.photobucket.com/albums/q110/rocknutde/100_2374.jpg

http://i134.photobucket.com/albums/q110/rocknutde/100_2375.jpg

rocknut
05-23-2007, 10:10 AM
The third pic is of the home made bullet tip mag release. I wanted one and the professional ones weren't out yet.

SKSPOWER650
06-03-2007, 8:39 PM
Pm Sent

SKSPOWER650
06-06-2007, 5:41 PM
Is The Bike Still For Sale??????????????????

c good
06-07-2007, 8:39 AM
I don't want to spoil anything here guys but the DMV put the clamps down on ALL Dual Sport Baja Designs type of conversions (two stroke and four stroke). Unless it was converted before 2005 with an actual street plate being issued, you will not be able to do it now. CARB fiddle fuddled around for while and a few have snuck through in the last couple of years but that loophole was closed permanently thanks to scumbag Sierra Clubbers and Arnold getting in bed with each other. Sorry for the bad news. c good

diegojosh
06-16-2007, 6:50 AM
is this stil for sale or what?!

TacFan
06-17-2007, 9:58 AM
We had agreed to a trade via PM but have not heard back from him :confused:

AJAX22
06-17-2007, 11:05 AM
I was wondering what was going on with this bike. I hope everything turns out ok