PDA

View Full Version : CRPA announces dues increase

NoJoke
05-31-2012, 2:26 PM
Just got the e-mail.

When is a dues increase, not really a dues increase?
When you can keep your dues the same by helping
CRPA save money...

Your CRPA Board of Directors is constantly monitoring and reviewing the financial management of our association and your CRPA is not immune to the same forces affecting all of us. There has not been a membership dues increase for the CRPA over the past six years and during this same period of time our economy has experienced great upheavals. CRPA has seen expenses slowly increase across the board and at the same time revenues have been shrinking.

One of the biggest annual expenses for the CRPA is the publication of The Firing Line and over the past six months or so, you have seen articles in The Firing Line from both CRPA President Tony Montanarella and me explaining the situation to our members and asking all of you for your suggestions. Well, many of you gave us great ideas and many more of you agreed to either take The Firing Line in an e-mail version or to pay the difference for the hard copy version to be printed and mailed to you. We sincerely appreciate those of you who stepped up to the plate. Unfortunately, that group was less than 10% of our total membership, which is 30,000 plus. It just wasn't enough to solve the problem, but it did serve to forge a creative solution. So here's our plan of attack.

At the February 25, 2012 CRPA Board of Directors meeting a motion was unanimously passed to increase the membership dues of the association by $5.00 at each level other than the Life membership categories with this important caveat... If you are willing to take The Firing Line by e-mail, you will not pay the additional $5/year.

Here are the details. EFFECTIVE JUNE 1, 2012 - Regular Annual Memberships, 3-Year, and 5-Year memberships all go up by $5 at the time of renewal (Including all categories of Club and Business members). At the time of renewal you'll be given an opportunity to choose the $5 increase or to take The Firing Line by e-mail instead and avoid the increase.

All categories of CRPA life membership go up by $25 if you prefer a printed and mailed hard copy of The Firing Line. Of course the cost of all life memberships would stay the same for those accepting an e-mailed version of the monthly magazine. Current and existing Life members are not affected, but are still strongly encouraged to take the e-mailed version of The Firing Line. Consider that the money we save when you opt to receive The Firing Line electronically will be spent furthering gun rights in California.

These increases are effective TOMORROW June 1, so if you are currently an annual member, you have an opportunity to upgrade to either a multi-year member or even a life member now before the increase takes effect. Call (714) 992-2772 today to sign up as a new member, renew, or click here to join or renew online.

We appreciate your understanding and your continued support.

Sincerely,
John C. Fields, Executive Director

dantodd
05-31-2012, 3:13 PM
That's awesome. I, sure those who are trying to get a voting majority will appreciate having less work to do.

chrisw
05-31-2012, 3:26 PM
Dear crpa, drop dead.

berto
05-31-2012, 3:29 PM
I'll take an online newsletter and send $5 extra in exchange for CRPA amending the bylaws to lower the bar for getting on the ballot and making all BoD seats elected. C'mon John and Tony, do what's right.

thedrickel
05-31-2012, 3:41 PM
I'll take an online newsletter and send $5 extra in exchange for CRPA amending the bylaws to lower the bar for getting on the ballot and making all BoD seats elected. C'mon John and Tony, do what's right.

From their cold, dead hands . . .

dantodd
05-31-2012, 4:01 PM
Weird that they'd wait to announce the increase until the day before it occurs. You'd think they'd announce it early and give people time to renew at the "discounted" rate to increase retention. Guess they don't have ANY marketing people.

wildhawker
05-31-2012, 4:11 PM
From their cold, dead hands . . .

Ok. We can [figuratively] do that, too.

-Brandon

gbp
05-31-2012, 4:35 PM
sure glad i am a lifer, and i don't even live in california

chrisw
05-31-2012, 5:26 PM
Weird that they'd wait to announce the increase until the day before it occurs. You'd think they'd announce it early and give people time to renew at the "discounted" rate to increase retention. Guess they don't have ANY marketing people.

Perhaps they don't want to retain potential "voting members?" :shrug:

GutPunch
05-31-2012, 5:51 PM

I think we have a winner. Nothing like upping the prices to clear out people on the fence.

stitchnicklas
05-31-2012, 6:39 PM
:facepalm::tt2::clap:

dantodd
05-31-2012, 6:53 PM

The problem with that theory is most of the people whose votes they fear will pay the higher dues at least one more year. Those who don't care are the ones who will drop and thus increase the value of every concerned voting member.

taperxz
05-31-2012, 6:58 PM
Hmmm, is CRPA really saying the only way to save their budget is through the firing line?

I'll betcha they could maybe let qualified people revise and mainstream it. Even the NRA is giving out discount memberships these days and are functioning well. WITH REAL MAGAZINES!!

Some orgs just really don't get it! What ever happened to power in numbers? You'll get some to pay, SURE but what about the offset that won't pay? Talking about flushing members down the drain.

GOEX FFF
05-31-2012, 7:05 PM
Humm, that's funny. The last hard copy of The Firing Line I got was when the CCKBA truck was featured on the front cover over a year ago. I haven't seen a new issue since. :confused:

turbomkt
05-31-2012, 7:47 PM
I just got The Firing Line a few days ago...

JSolie
05-31-2012, 8:35 PM

Actually...they did in the April 2012 issue (page 6).

sholling
05-31-2012, 8:51 PM
I hate to defend the CRPA's leadership but it seems reasonable to me. The printed newsletter costs money that could be going to defend the 2nd Amendment. The answer is simple - everyone on this board has a computer (duh) and can just make the switch to the electronic version. See that didn't hurt a bit. ;)

hoffmang
05-31-2012, 8:58 PM
I hate to defend the CRPA's leadership but it seems reasonable to me. The printed newsletter costs money that could be going to defend the 2nd Amendment. The answer is simple - everyone on this board has a computer (duh) and can just make the switch to the electronic version. See that didn't hurt a bit. ;)

I wonder which ex-directors forced such a modernization through the board? Hrm...

-Gene

sholling
05-31-2012, 9:15 PM
I wonder which ex-directors forced such a modernization through the board? Hrm...

-Gene
Whoever they are they should give themselves a big pat on the back. :p

Jason P
05-31-2012, 9:46 PM
Guess they don't have ANY marketing people.

They do, but that guy was appointed and doesn't know his @$$ from his elbow...:43:

dantodd
05-31-2012, 9:59 PM
Actually...they did in the April 2012 issue (page 6).

That is actually good news. I do wish they had given some email warning before today though.

JSolie
05-31-2012, 10:26 PM
That is actually good news. I do wish they had five. Some email warning before today though.

I just dug through my email (gotta love all the space gmail gives you), and I found an email dated from October of last year where they announced this as an option. There was nothing in the email about adjusting dues... they did mention a $1000 gift card to be given randomly to those who switched over to email delivery.

From the email from the Executive director, dated 10/25/2011
As an incentive, every member who permanently changes their subscription to email will be entered into a drawing for a $1,000 prize. (Prize to be determined, but probably a $1,000 Cabela's gift certificate.)

To receive our monthly publication online, please reply back with your name, membership number, and email to: thefiringline@crpa.org

Did they ever have that drawing? :confused:

Digging around a bit more, I found this in the December 2011 Firing Line, page 7, article by Tony Montanarella:
...However, the reality is that a significant number of members who have been with CRPA for many years would probably choose to continue receiving The Firing Line in its traditional printed form. How do we continue to service these loyal members? Would the members who still want the TFL in printed form be willing to pay a small surcharge? How much? Based on projections, we could continue mailing the TFL to members for an additional $6 per year. Not per month, per YEAR. Is this reasonable? We want to hear from you. Tell us what you think. Would you be willing to take your monthly TFL in an online format at no charge and at considerable savings to CRPA? All we need is an e-mail address! If you still want the TFL in its current printed version, would you be willing to defer some of your associationís costs for an additional $6 per year? The savings would be considerable and would allow us to use the funds in other areas, such as shooting programs, litigation, promotions and expand all the great things CRPA already does!

I guess that between October and December, they decided to monetarily incentivise staying with the print edition.

G17GUY
05-31-2012, 10:37 PM
CRPA... Am I going to get sued for typing that?

Untamed1972
06-01-2012, 9:05 AM
Well duh.....they need money to fight Wildhawker and the lawyers he is sicking on them. Gotta love it.....we need more of your money to fight having to fairly represent you. Do these guys for CA Gov't or something?