View Full Version : Saiga 12 TAC 47 Autoplug Issues

Colonel Monk
05-31-2012, 1:46 PM
howdy all

We bought a few of these for some Saigas that we have in the shop. One of them is for my gun, but I haven't tried it yet.

Installed one in the other Saiga that has been sold, and went to the range. Boss followed the video instructions, but could not get the Saiga to shoot the cheapo loads as shown in the video. He bought some 1250 fps or so 7.5 shot rounds and no amount of fiddling could make it work.

Anybody ever seen this? Suggestions? The video makes it look perfect so we are a little stumped.

It's worth noting, that this was a brand new Saiga. When we first shot mine, it wouldn't shoot the weak rounds with the stock gas plug until we first shot a box of heavy loads thru it, then it began to work a little better, though there was still 1 out of 10 stovepipes.

Tonight he's going to shoot a few boxes of heavier loads thru and then try again with the light stuff.

Just wondering is someone can shed any light, not getting alot of support from TAC 47.

05-31-2012, 2:34 PM
For me, I was lucky and mine cycled wallyworld Federal right out of the box. A lot of people have issues with the wallyworld Winchester and no ammout of fiddling with it has helped. The S12s are really rough. You may need to hand cycle it a lot or shoot some buck through it. Another thing to do is polish the BCG and hammer. Also check if you have all 4 gas holes unobstructed. On some, they left the factory without all 4 or they were undersized. You can use a paperclip to see if the holes are there.

Sam .223
05-31-2012, 3:39 PM
you need to run some high brass through it first to break it in. i;d say give it about
100rds and then try the auto plug, also if you have an under gassed gun the auto plug isn't going to work well for you until you get the gas issue resolved. i had to open up my block a little bit and drill out my gas ports to spec. i still haven't bought an autoplug yet but its on the list of stuff to get, but my gun cycles anyting i put in it now. i have a 3 port gun and the holes were drilled to 3/32 or roughly .09.

Colonel Monk
05-31-2012, 8:50 PM
Thanks all, I think a 100rd break in with some heavy shells is warranted. We will try that along with some better lubrication - seems the norm here.

Still, would welcome other input....