PDA

View Full Version : NEW upper!

connorr93
05-31-2012, 11:11 AM
So im finally pulling the trigger on my upper. I have been researching for a long time and have been doing a lot of looking around but I still need some reassurance that I am making a good choice. (Keep in mind I am trying to keep this build as light as possible).

What I want in my upper: (TELL ME IF THESE ARE GOOD CHOICES)??????

-16in
-Chrome bore and chamber
-Cold hammer forged
-1/7 twist (still on the fence about this)
-Chambered in 5.56 so I can shoot both 5.56 and .223
-Medium contour barrel
-Mid length gas block
-DI
-BCM upper

So here is what I came up with

http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/BCM-BFH-16-Mid-Length-Upper-Receiver-Group-p/bcm-urg-mid-16%20bfh%20vtrx13.htm

What do you think? I still have another couple hundred dollars in my upper budget. Can I do better than this?

scglock
05-31-2012, 11:27 AM
Looks good to me. I like the hand guard. But it says they're out of stock

artoaster
05-31-2012, 12:00 PM
[QUOTE=connorr93;8675398]
What I want in my upper: (TELL ME IF THESE ARE GOOD CHOICES)??????

-16in
(yes, 20" kinda long and carbine length lighter and easier to handle)

-Chrome bore and chamber
(Most durable type barrel and unless you're building precision or varmint rifle this type is preferred)

-Cold hammer forged
(better than button rifled and CHF barrels are stronger)

-1/7 twist (still on the fence about this)
(well, your choices really are 1/7, 1/8, and 1/9. the heavier/longer the bullet the faster the twist. 55gr and 62gr are common and will work well in all three. Whatever you get try many types and a few different bullet weights and whatever your barrel ends up liking best then stick with it. One 1/7 might shoot 55gr better than 62gr and another 1/7 barrel the reverse.

-Chambered in 5.56 so I can shoot both 5.56 and .223
(best and very common, IMHO.)

-Medium contour barrel
(Could go lighter, but certainly not heavier is light weight is a priority. Of course with weight how much "tacticool" stuff or is it KISS all the way?)

-Mid length gas block
(good choice, at least if you have 9" handguards instead of 7" that's a bonus. Free Float handguards and low profile GB will get you some length.

-DI
(piston is whole other topic, DI works and it ain't broke so no need to fix)

-BCM upper
(Heck, why not

[QUOTE]

bluecattledog
05-31-2012, 12:29 PM
Bought that exact upper 6 months ago. Installed on S & W lower w/ LWRC enhanced lower parts kit. Smoothest AR i have fired. Excellent upper!

Tjfearl
05-31-2012, 12:59 PM
http://www.rainierarms.com/?page=shop/detail&product_id=1722 you should look into this upper. less money and include BCG and charging handle. I bought one but havent been able to use it yet cuz im in Afghanistan. Super quick, cheap shipping and they will switch out parts on it to make it a custom upper for you. Great guys.

Sundowner
05-31-2012, 1:02 PM
I also have that exact upper on a complete BCM lower. My favorite upper.

Striker
05-31-2012, 1:27 PM
Yeah, nice piece. Don't forget to add BCG, charging handle and iron sights to this as I don't believe any of it comes with the upper unless you add it.

BucDan
05-31-2012, 1:33 PM
If you wanted the lightest possible, you'll be building off a polymer lower, lightweight barrel profile @ 14.5", and plastic handguards.

But since I bet you wouldn't want a polymer lower, a lightweight 16" barrel profile would be best, but those that are sold by BCM are almost always sold out. But since you wanted the regular gov't profile barrel for which they have but almost never in stock again, I think it is better to build one up that fits EXACTLY what you want.

Ideally, a 16" BCM upper with the 11" TROY VTAC, but 13" would work. Funny how I type all of that just to come to this conclusion lol.

joker70
05-31-2012, 2:25 PM
Lightweight barrel vs medium contour would make the biggest weight difference.

shark92651
05-31-2012, 4:07 PM
This has virtually identical specs, but is complete upper with BCG and CH and all the parts are in stock ready for assembly if you order:

http://www.riflegear.com/p-1644-riflegear-16-midlength-chf-vtac-alpha-upper.aspx

The TRX rail has been discontinued and the Alpha is the replacement. It doesn't have the occasional issue of popped helicoils like the TRX rails did.

connorr93
05-31-2012, 5:02 PM
The only thing I am not sure about is the government profile barrel. I plan on putting a good amount of rounds down range in a semi small ammount of time. I was originally planning on a medium contour barrel but I cant find one on a complete upper from BCM. Will the government profile stand up to extensive fast firing?

tacticalcity
05-31-2012, 5:05 PM
Sounds good to me. Government profile barrel will be more than fine for semi-auto use. Heck, it is more than fine for full auto use. You do not want the added weight of a medium contour barrel. The upper will be heavy enough as it is.

Johnnyfres
05-31-2012, 5:08 PM
Excellent choice on the upper. BCM makes some high quality stuff.

Rifle Gear's upper is nice too.

OC_SR15
05-31-2012, 5:10 PM
If you live near the OC check out rifle gear, they have the best customer service and can answer all you questions. I always end up buying something in there.