View Full Version : Passing through State Park to get to National Forest to hunt

05-31-2012, 10:22 AM
So I am pretty sure I am SOL here but thought I would ask anyway. There is a piece of National Forest land completetly surrounded by private property on 3 sides and state park on on the 4th. The only way to reach the national forest is through the state park on foot. Am I out of luck as far as getting to the NF land to hunt?

05-31-2012, 10:35 AM
I think so.


05-31-2012, 10:50 AM
HALO jump Team 6 style? :)

Guess you'd need a Helo for exfil though.

05-31-2012, 11:01 AM
Maybe, if you can contact them, you can ask permission from the private property owners.
Worst that can happen is they say no.

05-31-2012, 11:08 AM
I believe the CA state park regs do have a specific exemption for this case... gimme a few mins and I'll try to look it up.

Yeah, sorry, moving on foot is a no-go...

4313. Weapons and Traps.
No person shall carry, possess, or discharge across, in or into any portion of any unit any weapon, firearm, bow and arrow, trap, net, or device capable of injuring, or killing any person or animal, or capturing any animal, or damaging any public or private property, except where the Department of Parks and Recreation finds that it is in its best interests. Nothing herein contained shall be construed in derogation of the use of weapons permitted by law or regulation and to be used for hunting in a unit, or portion thereof, open to hunting. Firearms not having a cartridge in any portion of the mechanism, traps, nets, bows and arrows, other unloaded weapons or devices may be possessed within temporary lodging or mechanical mode of conveyance when such implements are rendered temporarily inoperable or are packed, cased, or stored in a manner that will prevent their ready use.

But they do mention exceptions for areas that are "open to hunting" so you might call the CA parks office and see if that particular area is on the list...

05-31-2012, 11:32 AM
So, could he lock it in a case and push it in and out on a game cart.

05-31-2012, 11:57 AM
So, could he lock it in a case and push it in and out on a game cart.

Dont think a cart would be a "mechanical mode of conveyance".....But a Mtn. Bike might be :)

06-01-2012, 10:04 AM
I was told by a State Park ranger I could cross Park lands to access other
state property open for hunting via bicycle at one location. It was over 10
years ago and I don't know about other locations. We ended up using a
canoe and didn't cross park land.

And we all know the complex laws make it hard for LEOs to know everything,
so he may have been incorrect.