PDA

View Full Version : papers? what papers?

high_revs
05-31-2012, 10:04 AM
so i see this asked sometimes from pistol buyers. what papers are they referring to? the only papers i can think of would be the manual and possibly the warranty card (if you didn't mail it in). is there another set of "papers" people ask?

half i bought are new. the other half used. for used, it was mainly just the manual that was the "paper".

zfields
05-31-2012, 10:09 AM
dros paperwork.....not required to keep or have with the gun. People are just paranoid.

CSACANNONEER
05-31-2012, 10:12 AM
I destroy all my DROS paperwork and other gun receipts as a precautionary measure against ID theft.

high_revs
05-31-2012, 10:13 AM
but as best practice, isn't the background check done first when doing a ppt to ensure that the seller is the owner of the gun? i read that as a best practice on buying/selling a gun thread here. isn't the ffl going to let the parties know "hey, you're selling a gun that isn't yours!" before walking away after doing the initial paperwork? or maybe i'm assuming that due diligence is done but not always followed.

ICONIC
05-31-2012, 10:17 AM
The seller does not have to be owner of the firearm. He just can't be a person who is barred from possesion of a firearm.

Example owner of a firearm gets a TRO, has to sell his firearm. Has his friend, uncle, dad, brother who are able to possess a firearm, sell it for him. Completely legal

CSACANNONEER
05-31-2012, 10:17 AM
There's no check to see if the gun is already in the system or not. No one checks the seller unless the gun comes back stolen. That usually takes a few days.

GunHo
05-31-2012, 10:26 AM
so i see this asked sometimes from pistol buyers. what papers are they referring to? the only papers i can think of would be the manual and possibly the warranty card (if you didn't mail it in). is there another set of "papers" people ask?

half i bought are new. the other half used. for used, it was mainly just the manual that was the "paper".

I think what you're referring to is the test fire results paper. I heard that new guns come with one, but Iíve never seen one with the 3 new pistols that I purchased.

keenkeen
05-31-2012, 10:27 AM
When a pistol buyer of a used gun asks if it comes with "papers" they are asking about all the factory paperwork that originally shipped with the gun.

Like: Manuals, test targets, warranty cards, build sheets, tags, etc.

They are not asking about previous owners DROS paperwork.

bohoki
05-31-2012, 11:51 AM
yea it reminds me of ignoramusus that ask me if i have a permit for something

i just say i am permitted to own it

high_revs
05-31-2012, 11:57 AM
There's no check to see if the gun is already in the system or not. No one checks the seller unless the gun comes back stolen. That usually takes a few days.

wow.. eye opening learning for me. i guess i always assumed seller is the owner.

how does a buyer protect themselves on this? i think the seller's driver's license is also photocopied? been a while i did a ppt.

i figure the papers were the manuals, etc. but now it makes me think of another area to watch out for when purchasing used. but i didn't know the seller doesn't have to be the owner of the firearm too. i thought that's the whole purpose of submitting registration info to ca doj? they track this but i guess they don't track if it's sold by the owner but rather they just update the name to the buyer?

CSACANNONEER
05-31-2012, 12:01 PM
wow.. eye opening learning for me. i guess i always assumed seller is the owner.

how does a buyer protect themselves on this? i think the seller's driver's license is also photocopied? been a while i did a ppt.

i figure the papers were the manuals, etc. but now it makes me think of another area to watch out for when purchasing used. but i didn't know the seller doesn't have to be the owner of the firearm too. i thought that's the whole purpose of submitting registration info to ca doj? they track this but i guess they don't track if it's sold by the owner but rather they just update the name to the buyer?

The seller isn't always selling a gun that's already in the system. DOJ could not care less about who is selling a gun. They just want to know who the new owner is going to be. In fact, sometimes they don't even remove the gun from the seller's list. Go figure?

paul0660
05-31-2012, 12:06 PM
I’ve never seen one with the 3 new pistols that I purchased.

If you have not already, look behind the foam in the pistol case.

Chaos47
05-31-2012, 1:25 PM

Or if the buyer gets denied. Then they check the seller to make sure they can give it back to them.

morrcarr67
05-31-2012, 2:04 PM
Example owner of a firearm gets a TRO, has to sell his firearm. Has his friend, uncle, dad, brother who are able to possess a firearm, sell it for him. Completely legal

Not so. This came up not too long ago in the 2nd Amendment section.

If someone is hit with a TRO the only legal thing for them to do is turn their firearms of to the police/sheriff's department.

bohoki
05-31-2012, 2:47 PM
it could mean 2 things to me

the manual for the gun

or if it was registered when it came into possession

ICONIC
05-31-2012, 6:35 PM
I personally hold on to all my paperwork, I keep them put up with my tax stuff. Just in case a problem may arise. I do not include my paperwork with the ppt.