PDA

View Full Version : Picking up a Mega lower with a new address

lincoln6echo
05-31-2012, 10:23 AM
I just had a Mega lower shipped to my FFL but also just moved. I have me DL with the old address but insurance and utility bills with the new, will I need a updated DL to pick it up?

Second question: anyone running Noveske uppers with Mega lowers, if so how's the fit? Thx! :)

Bhobbs
05-31-2012, 10:28 AM
I'm pretty sure you need your current address. I tried to use my drivers license with my old address to buy a rifle and they wouldn't let me. I had to get a new license before I could do the DROS.

troysland
05-31-2012, 10:36 AM
Or get an updated car registration with new address from DMV or AAA. $18. Works with an unexpired DL that has your old address. I just went through that a couple of weeks ago.

chead
05-31-2012, 11:00 AM
Most FFLs don't accept the brown "change of address" card in conjunction with a valid CA ID anymore thanks to pressure from the CA DOJ. Call ahead beforehand to check.

Revolver Ocelot
05-31-2012, 11:10 AM
I had to get a printout from the DMV showing my current address. I think it was a couple bucks for the printout.

Speedpower
05-31-2012, 11:19 AM
A stripped lower or a Rifle/Long Gun does not need another form of proof of address, all you need is your driver's license.

roushstage2
05-31-2012, 11:34 AM
Your DL has to have your current address though. Reread the first post :)

Mongoblack23
05-31-2012, 11:38 AM
your drivers license does NOT need your current address. i have purchased all my guns in the last 3.5 years (about 12 in all) with my current license that does not have my current address. a vehicle registration will do fine. if they do not accept it, find an ffl that will.

scglock
05-31-2012, 12:28 PM
Your dl doesn't need current address. I've been buying guns with my old address dl and new address car registration.

Speedpower
05-31-2012, 12:36 PM
Your DL has to have your current address though. Reread the first post :)

Who would know? ;)

AirShark
05-31-2012, 1:01 PM
I just made a purchase a few weeks ago with my old DL and a copy of my internet bill for proof of residency.

roushstage2
05-31-2012, 1:51 PM
Who would know? ;)
Probably the FFL that has his old address on file and on the DROS? I'd imagine that's the case otherwise it wouldn't make a difference if the DL address was current or not.
--In regards to the other comments about your DL not having to have your current address, I know. My comment was directed at the person who quoted me in return. :)

tenpercentfirearms
05-31-2012, 2:06 PM
Ok here is the deal.

Federally, if your DL or ID does not match your current address, you must have a government issued document with your name on it that does. That is it. Anything else that an FFL allows is illegal. That is the requirement. Period.

So it doens't matter what an FFL has let you do, that is all you are supposed to do. The FFL who allows a non-government issued utility bill or some other such nonsense is violating the law. They might not realize and they might not get caught in an audit, but a government issued document is what is needed. Period.

So vehicle registration, printed out hunting licenses, DMV printouts, LTCs from any state, 03 FFLs, and a whole host of other government issued documents work.

If your address matches, then you need nothing else.

Striker
05-31-2012, 2:24 PM
Ok here is the deal.

Federally, if your DL or ID does not match your current address, you must have a government issued document with your name on it that does. That is it. Anything else that an FFL allows is illegal. That is the requirement. Period.

So it doens't matter what an FFL has let you do, that is all you are supposed to do. The FFL who allows a non-government issued utility bill or some other such nonsense is violating the law. They might not realize and they might not get caught in an audit, but a government issued document is what is needed. Period.

So vehicle registration, printed out hunting licenses, DMV printouts, LTCs from any state, 03 FFLs, and a whole host of other government issued documents work.

If your address matches, then you need nothing else.

So can't he just do his change of address with DMV on line, print the acceptance sheet from the DMV website and use that? Isn't that easiest way?

lincoln6echo
05-31-2012, 11:12 PM
Thanks all, heading to the DMV tomorrow to get a new copy of my vehicle reg and them to the FFL. Hopefully this will not be any more complicated.

Can anyone comment on the Mega lower Noveske upper fit?

tenpercentfirearms
06-01-2012, 7:05 AM
So can't he just do his change of address with DMV on line, print the acceptance sheet from the DMV website and use that? Isn't that easiest way?

Is that a government issued document? Then yes he can. Simple question, "Is it a government issued document?" If the answer is yes, then it works. If the answer is no, then it won't.