PDA

View Full Version : filthy Glock 23C rescue - help cleaning

Fherot
05-31-2012, 8:33 AM
Hey all,

My mom gave me her ~2001 Glock 23C (ported barrel / slide) and it hasn't been cleaned since being fired about 4 years ago.

I did a complete slide disassembly and cleaned everything, everything looks like new now (it's a Glock).

However I'm having trouble removing the caked on hard buildup in the slide ports. Its like a dark gray lead and/or carbon buildup that is a ***** to scrape.

Is there a really good chemical to break it up to scrub off easier? (Ballistol is my normal cleaner) or if I go fire it will that heat it up and let me clean it up easier?

Any help is appreciated.

Ubermcoupe
05-31-2012, 9:40 AM
CLP usually does the trick. Turn the slide over and try and let the cleaner pool. That should help loosed it up and than you can scrub it out with a brass brush.

scglock
05-31-2012, 9:42 AM
I use ballistol too. Let it soak for a while and go at it with a brash brush. Should do the trick

Black Majik
05-31-2012, 9:43 AM
Slip 2000

far from tactical
05-31-2012, 10:40 AM
:useless:

MrChubbyMcLard
05-31-2012, 11:39 AM
Use one of these to get off the build-up.http://i842.photobucket.com/albums/zz342/SleepCloud/JackHammer.gif

dem0critus
05-31-2012, 11:49 AM
CLP usually does the trick. Turn the slide over and try and let the cleaner pool. That should help loosed it up and than you can scrub it out with a brass brush.

You use a brass brush on the slide of your glock? Doesn't take off the finish?

Fherot
05-31-2012, 12:27 PM
Hmm I'll soak slide in Ballistol overnight and try a brass .17 brush inside the ports then. I also was unsure if brass brush would mess up the Teflon-Like finish but if it'll do the trick I'll give it a shot.

zfields
05-31-2012, 12:46 PM
a bullet traveling at 1000+fps doesn't damage it, but your worried a brass brush will :)

Soak it in solvent, and have at it. I'd personally use a dental pick to get most of it off, then a brush for the rest.

Bug Splat
05-31-2012, 12:48 PM
white vinegar and hydrogen peroxide 50/50 mix. Put a little on a rag and wipe down just the areas with buildup. Only do this for 30 seconds then wash off with running water. Repeat if needed but you should not have to. Oil the slide well after you dry it.

Fherot
05-31-2012, 2:41 PM
Well bullet doesn't travel across the surface of the slide or ports and I have a knack to screw up without knowing what I'm getting into first...

Edit: Good idea I just got some dental picks coincidentally.

Stupid work, I want to run home and soak the thing already.

Funny how I sold my two Glocks now 2 months later I have 2 again...

sammy
05-31-2012, 6:13 PM
white vinegar and hydrogen peroxide 50/50 mix. Put a little on a rag and wipe down just the areas with buildup. Only do this for 30 seconds then wash off with running water. Repeat if needed but you should not have to. Oil the slide well after you dry it.

Be very cautious with that recipe on blued guns. I don't think it will take the finish off a Glock but would not try it. A buddy told me about the recipe and told me to soak my 1911 barrel in it for an hour and the lead would come right off. The only thing that came off was the bluing on my new Les Baer barrel. :facepalm:[ Live and learn.

Ubermcoupe
05-31-2012, 6:24 PM
You use a brass brush on the slide of your glock? Doesn't take off the finish?

On the inside of the slide and around the breech areas, yes I do - but only as needed. If there isnít any build up then I donít need to use the brush.

It is only a glock after all :)

Rhatical
06-01-2012, 9:37 AM
Spray heavily with Gun Scrubber.

p1choco
06-01-2012, 9:45 AM
Elbow grease is the only substance that will effectively remove carbon build up.

MrExel17
06-01-2012, 9:53 AM
Spray heavily with Gun Scrubber.

+1. For Gun Scrubber