PDA

View Full Version : For all the people that hate Glock's grip angle, Do you ...

daybreak
05-31-2012, 8:08 AM
Do you shoot with the thumbs forward grip?

I have always liked the glocks grip, but after switching to the thumbs forward grip, I like the Glock's grip even more. The way my left hand (support hand) locks up makes me feel like Glock was designed to accommodate the thumbs forward grip. It feels so natural on a glock.

For the people who hate the grip angle on glocks, what grip do you use?

.45 ftw!
05-31-2012, 8:15 AM
I have always liked the glocks grip, but after switching to the thumbs forward grip, I like the Glock's grip even more. The way my left hand (support hand) locks up makes me feel like Glock was designed to accommodate the thumbs forward grip. It feels so natural on a glock.

AGREED!

ElvenSoul
05-31-2012, 8:24 AM
SSE a CZ Phantom and be done with it :)

BamBam-31
05-31-2012, 8:35 AM
And you'll find that your left thumb, if aligned properly along the frame, points naturally at your target. IOW, if you can instinctively point your left thumb at something, now you're doing it with a pistol as well.

Dakine_surf
05-31-2012, 8:36 AM
I shoot with thumbs forward, and I still hate on the Glock, but it is really in good nature... I just like to give the FanBoys a little crap from time to time.

In all honesty, the glock grip does allow for a very nice thumbs forward style grip, I just find the angle weird since I grew up learning pistol shooting with a 1911. When I was young, the only reliable auto that my dad would trust was his Combat Commander and Government Model... So I grew up shooting those, and wheel guns (mainly Ruger Security Six, S&W model 17, 19, and 686.) Becuase of this, I have to really think a little more when shooting a glock. These days I shoot mostly Sigs and 1911's but I got bitten by the glock bug after shooting my buddies 17. I am now in market to get a 17 or 34... I think I want a race gun now against my better judgement :D

Montu
05-31-2012, 8:39 AM
thumbs forward and I still hate it

4DMASTR
05-31-2012, 8:40 AM

I had to look up to see what that was and yes I shoot like that. Its funny because I find Glock's very comfortable to shoot. I recently picked up a Sig just cause i wanted something different and I cannot find a comfortable grip, just seems awkward to me....

daybreak
05-31-2012, 9:06 AM

huh

Iggy
05-31-2012, 9:14 AM
I used to hate the Glock grip because i shot a hair high from shooting my 1911. It was because my "natural" point of aim was determined by my wrist angle.

I found out that it was all bad training. Now when I draw and bring the gun up, I always look for the front sight, then line it up with the rear and squeeze. It works on every gun and I don't notice the Glock grip.

At the range shooting from a stand still it won't matter either way, unless it's a matter of ergonomics and what personally feels good.

compulsivegunbuyer
05-31-2012, 9:14 AM
Glock makes a great pistol, but I too hate the grip. I hate the trigger also. I recently sold a Glock 22. It ran perfect, but I just hated the ergos, no matter what grip I used. My favorite pistol right now is a Sig 226with the E2 grip. I think my next purchase is going to be a CZ-75.

daybreak
05-31-2012, 9:19 AM
Glock makes a great pistol, but I too hate the grip. I hate the trigger also. I recently sold a Glock 22. It ran perfect, but I just hated the ergos, no matter what grip I used. My favorite pistol right now is a Sig 226with the E2 grip. I think my next purchase is going to be a CZ-75.

What grip do you usually shoot with ?

PS: get that cz

Paradiddle
05-31-2012, 9:25 AM
Thumb forward and it is still not comfortable for me to shoot.

scglock
05-31-2012, 9:38 AM
I shoot thumbs forward. The angle doesn't bother me but the hump on the backstrap does a little. Gen4 fixed that for me :)

xmattedgex
05-31-2012, 9:54 AM
I love the grip and I do shoot thumb forward. I feel like a drive the firearm to the target very effectively.

JaeOne3345
05-31-2012, 10:03 AM
I don't even pay attention to any of that grip angle stuff once the timer starts. I can go between my STI 2011 and my Glock 34 just fine. I'm too busy watching my sights.

Lead Waster
05-31-2012, 10:05 AM
I can shoot anything. I'm amazing! :p

I'm a bit more gun agnostic. I have a 1911 and some Glocks and CZs and a Ruger 22/45. I just adapt to whatever gun I'm holding. But I'm not one of those guys that grew up shooting on one platform or one gun. When I "got into" guns, I just bought a crapload of them and shot with guys with a variety of guns. I'm not a very good shot but I've improved a lot since shooting USPSA and actually making an effort to learn how to shoot with a decided grip and stance. Until then I just used whatever stance and grip I last saw on TV. Now I use thumbs forward, isoceles stance because Todd Jarret's video told me to.

Sam
05-31-2012, 10:29 AM
I can certainly appreciate a Glock and I mine shoots well. However, when holding an M&P and then a Glock, it isn't the angle but rather the squared off, blocky feeling of the frame that bothers me. Funny how my phone corrects "Glock" into "block."

Legasat
05-31-2012, 11:51 AM
Yes, thumbs forward. It still makes my wrist position different.

Glock's are great pistols, just not for me.

M&P's fit me like a glove.

anti
05-31-2012, 11:56 AM
My hands are a tad bit smaller than most shooters, so I grip it as high as possible and use my leading hand's index finger to wrap around the trigger guard for more stability. The great thing about Glocks is that you won't get slidebite, so you can grip them in a variety of ways.

InGrAM
05-31-2012, 12:00 PM
Yes, thumbs forward. It still makes my wrist position different.

Glock's are great pistols, just not for me.

M&P's fit me like a glove.

This ^

The M&P solved the ergo problems I hated on the glock.

Doesn't mean I don't like my gen 2 g19. Their are just better ergonomically designed pistols out there.

HighLander51
05-31-2012, 12:12 PM
Works for the Grand Masters....

http://cheaperthandirt.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2010/07/Sevigny_2008Area2_Sued_Small.jpg

http://cheaperthandirt.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2010/08/RandiRogers3.jpg

http://www.gunslot.com/files/gunslot/imagecache/full/images/61700.jpg

tacticalcity
05-31-2012, 12:38 PM
The Glock grip angle never bothered me. Always kinda laughed at that argument from the haters. Seems like they are just making stuff up to justify their hatred to me. I like and shoot lots of guns, and the difference in grip angles was never a noticable factor. It's there, but it plays no roll in my shooting. Other more important things, like the action itself does.

I've trained and continue to train with both the Modified Weaver and Modified Isolese (nobody does the original of either anymore as they have been tweaked and perfected over time though many think they do). Both work equally well for me. Though I tend to "run home to Momma" when stressed and often default to what I learned first, the Modified Weaver.

If one works better for you...use it. I like both, as there times when one suits the situation better. The world is not a flat range, and you often have to change things up to fit the enviorment and available cover and concealment. Knowing both, and vaiations of both, and being comfortable with them both comes in handy.

robcoe
05-31-2012, 12:45 PM
The Glock grip angle never bothered me. Always kinda laughed at that argument from the haters. Seems like they are just making stuff up to justify their hatred to me.

Or maybe they actually do have a problem with the grip, not everybodys hand and wrist are identical to yours. I have tried every grip type with Glocks, even had an instructor go over it with me, and I still can't shoot a glock well. Hand me a Ruger SR series and i'll do ok, a GP100 , 1911 or P38 and I'll do pretty well, but something about the grip and trigger of a Glock just does not work for me.

If I bought one and spent a lot of time with it, yea I could probably get over it, but since I already know I can shoot other guns better without having to train and train just get get over the grip and trigger, I don't see the point in going through all that just to use one overhyped brand of gun better than I do.

tacticalcity
05-31-2012, 12:58 PM
Or maybe they actually do have a problem with the grip, not everybodys hand and wrist are identical to yours. I have tried every grip type with Glocks, even had an instructor go over it with me, and I still can't shoot a glock well. Hand me a Ruger SR series and i'll do ok, a GP100 , 1911 or P38 and I'll do pretty well, but something about the grip and trigger of a Glock just does not work for me.

If I bought one and spent a lot of time with it, yea I could probably get over it, but since I already know I can shoot other guns better without having to train and train just get get over the grip and trigger, I don't see the point in going through all that just to use one overhyped brand of gun better than I do.

Probably has more to do with you just being used to what you are used to than anything else. I have no issue with somebody leaning towards something they already know they do well with, however. Learning to shoot properly is a difficult thing. Anything that makes that easier for you is a good idea in my book. Countless hours in a course tells me more people do well with a Glock than not. As in the vast majority of new shooters do better with a Glock than something else. However, if you are an exception to that rule, so be it. Use what works best for you. Be stoked you found it.

How you feel about the Glock is how I feel about most DA/SA guns. I don't exactly hate all of them (a few I do). But I don't see the point in paying for something I already know from past experience will be more difficult for me to master than what I already have. Like many if not most shooters, I am better with either striker fired (Glock, M&P, XD, etc) or SAO actions (1911, Hi-Power, Etc.) than DA/SA (M9, Sig, Etc). I stick with what works best for me. It includes a long list of guns, and I am happy with the guns in that list. So I'm lucky I guess.

robcoe
05-31-2012, 1:05 PM
Probably has more to do with you just being used to what you are used to than anything else. I have no issue with somebody leaning towards something they already know they do well with, however. Learning to shoot properly is a difficult thing. Anything that makes that easier for you is a good idea in my book. Countless hours in a course tells me more people do well with a Glock than not. As in the vast majority of new shooters do better with a Glock than something else. However, if you are an exception to that rule, so be it. Use what works for you.

I'll agree with that, and you are right that most people seem to do fine with glocks. As for me, I don't know what it is, but the first handgun I ever tried was a Glock 17, and even then I couldn't hit the broad side of a barn with it, later that day I tried a GP100 revolver and it was night and day, suddenly at 30 yards I could actualy knock over 5 bowling pins in 5 shots instead of 1 in 10 shots if I got lucky.

tacticalcity
05-31-2012, 1:16 PM
I'll agree with that, and you are right that most people seem to do fine with glocks. As for me, I don't know what it is, but the first handgun I ever tried was a Glock 17, and even then I couldn't hit the broad side of a barn with it, later that day I tried a GP100 revolver and it was night and day, suddenly at 30 yards I could actualy knock over 5 bowling pins in 5 shots instead of 1 in 10 shots if I got lucky.

I have the opposite experience with revolvers. I struggle with them in comparison to semi-autos because I do not know them as well. But then I have never shot the GP100 either. I'm sure it is 100% me and not the guns.

m98
05-31-2012, 1:20 PM
The angle doesnt bother me as much as the gigantore back hump. Glock finally realizes this after how many years? Then came out with the gen4's

tacticalcity
05-31-2012, 1:25 PM
The angle doesnt bother me as much as the gigantore back hump. Glock finally realizes this after how many years? Then came out with the gen4's

I would have been much happier with adjustable front straps to remove the finger grooves. They are my only complaint about the Glock. On the full size guns they fit me fine. But on the compact guns they are too close together for my fat fingers to be comfortable. The other perks of the gun outweigh this one con for me, however.

batangueno
05-31-2012, 1:25 PM
Something that helps me with the Glock grip angle is straightening my arms more (without locking the elbows) as compared to shooting a 1911 for instance. For a 1911, i bend my elbows more than when shooting a Glock.

Look at how Sevigny and Rogers shoot their Glocks in the pictures above.

compulsivegunbuyer
05-31-2012, 2:37 PM
What grip do you usually shoot with ?

PS: get that cz

Both thumbs forward.

five.five-six
05-31-2012, 2:53 PM
I shoot with thumbs forward and that does not make the glock feel any less clumsy.

WILDMAN442
05-31-2012, 3:00 PM
For me personally I could never mesh with the glock grip.

I recently switched to an M&P 40 and shot better than I ever have before.

Even utilizing the thumbs forward grip the glock just never felt right to me. But I won't ever bash them. They are great guns.

Justin

GunHo
05-31-2012, 3:06 PM
It’s not so much my thumb placement that decides for me; it’s the over all feel of a glock grip that throws me. When I started on guns, before I made my 1st purchase, all I did was visit gun shops and fondled guns. I’ve held gun after gun to see what best suites my comfort zone and the glock just never registered. It was like the gun just came out of the stove blazing hot; I held it and instantly wanted to drop it from my hands. Perhaps I may find some appeal with the new generation glocks that I have not held yet. This is just me and never about the gun. It’s about what fits the individual best…

And just so I don’t sound like a sure hater, I do agree that the glock is the best bargain gun (under $500) on the market.

clutchy
05-31-2012, 3:29 PM

I love it!

it's also complemented by a forward aggressive shoulder and body posturing.

Lead Waster
05-31-2012, 3:36 PM
If you think that a Glock 17's grip is nuts, try a Glock 21! Same glock angle BUT super wide (front to back!)

I was never able to shoot my G21 very well EXCEPT on the day that I bought it. I know the gun shoots straight because a coworker is very good with it. To be honest, I haven't tried shooting it with thumbs forward, isoceles stance, since I've had the gun for so long and it's been the poor subject of my poor shooting technique (it was either the gun or the shooter, right? Well I'm starting to improve as a shooter so I need to get that 21 out and try it with my newly learned skills!)

Anyway, there are SO MANY guns on the market there is no point in spending time loving or hating any particular gun. Don't like it? OK, move on, don't try to convince other people to hate it too.

clutchy
05-31-2012, 3:36 PM

I shoot pretty well w/ the both the 17 and 19(better w/ the 17) but I can ace the crap out of anything with a S&W 686 6" barrel. It's a dirty little hand cannon. with that said i still like auto's better.

fullspeed1
06-01-2012, 4:22 AM
I don't even pay attention to any of that grip angle stuff once the timer starts. I can go between my STI 2011 and my Glock 34 just fine. I'm too busy watching my sights.

Jae is 100% spot on, When I start moving and shooting the grip angle is the last thing I'm focusing on, And is of no concern. Thumbs forward makes the Glock point naturally.

SWAT.Medic
06-01-2012, 5:50 PM
I started using the GripForce beaver tail attachment on my Glock and I feel like they really feel like a 1911 with them attached. I only started using it on my G23 because the slide was snake biting me...but after using it I thought it just felt better. Nice and cheap upgrade.

---
I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?ta5bli

monk
06-01-2012, 6:32 PM
My grip angle is kinda messed up. My hands are smaller so my right thumb sits on top of my left thumb.

p1choco
06-01-2012, 6:41 PM
I used to not like Glocks because of the grip angle. I still don't like the grip angle. That and the stock sights are the only things I don't like about the Glock. I shoot thumbs forward and had to train myself to learn a new natural point of aim. It didn't take long but I came around. If I ever get another one, it'll be a Gen 4.

enzo357
06-01-2012, 7:09 PM
Used a 35 at Front Sight last couple of days. Going to shoot Escondido Steel in the morning with a 1911. Really it is not that big of a deal, just use the fundamentals and hit the target. Thumbs foreward and iso for me.

Turbinator
06-01-2012, 8:56 PM
I use thumbs forward on pretty much ALL handguns I shoot.. This is just the way I was taught and I continue to employ this method. Works well enough for me.

Turby

rtk
06-01-2012, 9:11 PM
I started using the GripForce beaver tail attachment on my Glock and I feel like they really feel like a 1911 with them attached. I only started using it on my G23 because the slide was snake biting me...but after using it I thought it just felt better. Nice and cheap upgrade. [/url]

+1

I don't have the slide bite issue, but disliked the grip angle. The beavertail helps with the grip angle, but makes the grips thicker. I do shoot with the thumbs forward grip, but have shorter fingers.

I looked at the Gen4 Glocks and the grip thickness is better, but the angle remains. Then the FFL put a Walther PPQ in my hands and I was sold. Grip on the PPQ feels a lot like my 1911s with an arched main spring housing.

Arteel
06-02-2012, 12:29 AM
I shoot thumbs forward and could never get used to shooting glocks. The grip felt awful. However, I held a glock 19 gen 4 at my local gun store and it felt great. I liked it enough that I put it in jail :)

daybreak
06-02-2012, 6:17 AM
I shoot thumbs forward and could never get used to shooting glocks. The grip felt awful. However, I held a glock 19 gen 4 at my local gun store and it felt great. I liked it enough that I put it in jail :)

So what exactly felt so different or better with the gen 4 grip, and what size back strap did you use?

compulsivegunbuyer
06-02-2012, 7:40 AM
I do not shoot bad with a Glock. The 22 I had, and a friends 17 I've shot were pretty damn accurate. The concept is great, a reasonably priced, simple to break down, accurate, reliable, off the shelf handgun. I just don't find them comfortable. I don't prefer the triggers of striker fired pistols in general. After mastering a heavy double action revolver trigger, no, the Glock trigger does not seem that bad, and not to hard to get used to, I just don't prefer it. If the Glock had a more comfortable grip to me, I would not be detered by the striker fired trigger, and would probably own three. The Glock 22 I had was my first tupperware pistol. It was pretty snappy, and took a fair amount of practice to get used to. I put a ton of rounds through it, and it was completely reliable. I just did not find it comfortable.

joelberg
06-02-2012, 7:11 PM
I completely agree about the bad grip angle. When I was shopping for my first semi-auto pistol, I ended up choosing the S&W Sigma instead of the Glock because they are basically the same gun, but the grip angle on the Sigma just felt better to me. When handling them at the gun shop I would close my eyes and draw the weapon up and I found that I would consistently be off with my aim drawing the Glock, but the Sigma would just naturally align the sights perfectly exactly where I wanted them even though I had my eyes closed. I find most wheel guns have great ergos for me too.

Bottom line is everyone's hands are different and some platforms work better for some people. I've shot a few Glocks and I can adapt to them and shoot accurately and quickly with them, but for me the grip angle on the Sigma just works better--it just needed some trigger work to get up to par in that arena.

Arteel
06-02-2012, 10:01 PM
So what exactly felt so different or better with the gen 4 grip, and what size back strap did you use?

No blackstrap. The differences in the grip are minimal, but the smaller profile grip made a huge difference for me.

lrj812
06-03-2012, 9:16 AM
I just don't get the grip angle argument. It seems like a discussion for an OCD forum. I have not shot a glock but have picked up plenty to see how they feel. It feels different than my CZ 75B and S&W 686 and every other gun I own, but it feels like a pistol. I did notice the grip angle isn't making the barrel point back at me. Some of the opinions and critiques seem quite trivial from my vantage point, sounds like a sommelier at at winery talking about body, fruity scent, blah, blah blah...

In my life experience I work with tools, all kinds of tools. The only tools I didn't like were the ones I was unfamiliar with or didn't work. I have my favorites but I like any quality tool that will do the job. I adapt my grip, my body, my attitude and make the best of it. I am of the opinion give me a quality tool sight unseen, give me some time and I will master it to the best of my abilities. I feel this way about guns.

It could be about emotions and feelings, maybe the people that have a hard time with grip angle also have a hard time with some of those other things in life, like bad hair days. That being said I need to find a glock to shoot and see what this is all about.

daybreak
06-03-2012, 9:35 AM
I completely agree about the bad grip angle. When I was shopping for my first semi-auto pistol, I ended up choosing the S&W Sigma instead of the Glock because they are basically the same gun, but the grip angle on the Sigma just felt better to me. When handling them at the gun shop I would close my eyes and draw the weapon up and I found that I would consistently be off with my aim drawing the Glock, but the Sigma would just naturally align the sights perfectly exactly where I wanted them even though I had my eyes closed. I find most wheel guns have great ergos for me too.

Bottom line is everyone's hands are different and some platforms work better for some people. I've shot a few Glocks and I can adapt to them and shoot accurately and quickly with them, but for me the grip angle on the Sigma just works better--it just needed some trigger work to get up to par in that arena.

I'm guessing you don't shoot thumbs forward right?

NorCalRedneck
06-03-2012, 12:56 PM
Its not so much the grip angle for me but the shape of the grip. It just doesn't fit my hand right and feels too fat. My XD fits my hand like a glove so that's why I went with the XD over the Glock.

I'm just tired of Glock fanboys getting mad at anyone who dislikes Glocks. Who the hell cares? If the gun doesn't fit you it doesn't fit you. Glocks aren't the end all be all of polymer pistols.

InGrAM
06-03-2012, 1:36 PM
I just don't get the grip angle argument. It seems like a discussion for an OCD forum. I have not shot a glock but have picked up plenty to see how they feel. It feels different than my CZ 75B and S&W 686 and every other gun I own, but it feels like a pistol. I did notice the grip angle isn't making the barrel point back at me. Some of the opinions and critiques seem quite trivial from my vantage point, sounds like a sommelier at at winery talking about body, fruity scent, blah, blah blah...

In my life experience I work with tools, all kinds of tools. The only tools I didn't like were the ones I was unfamiliar with or didn't work. I have my favorites but I like any quality tool that will do the job. I adapt my grip, my body, my attitude and make the best of it. I am of the opinion give me a quality tool sight unseen, give me some time and I will master it to the best of my abilities. I feel this way about guns.

It could be about emotions and feelings, maybe the people that have a hard time with grip angle also have a hard time with some of those other things in life, like bad hair days. That being said I need to find a glock to shoot and see what this is all about.

This post makes me laugh.

Why don't you find a tool that fits you instead of molding yourself to fit the tool that is uncomfortable for you? There are too many "tools" out there to force feed yourself one that doesn't work well for you.

Try putting a 6'8" 300 pound man into an SN95 and see how well that works. It doesn't because not all tools are made for everyone. To say otherwise is ignorant and foolish. You and others who say that people that don't like glocks are the problem need to stop caring about what others think about a certain kind of firearm. ;)

Erik_J
06-04-2012, 12:58 PM
I find the conversation around how guns 'feel' is interesting. The only centerfire pistol I owned and shot for many years was a first run G21. I have shot the **** out of it and have become quite proficient with it. I never knew any different.

Fast forward to last November where I had to have a 9mm so I acquired a CZ75-SA, because it 'felt' perfect in my hand. Now after a thousand rounds with the CZ, the Glock feels blocky and awkward to grip - funny thing though, under all the situations I shoot, I shoot both with the same degree of precision.

My point - I did not expect that at all. I expected the CZ to shoot much better for me *because* it was more comfortable in my hand. The only major difference I can say I really see between the two stock guns is one is cheaper to shoot than the other. Yes, yes, and the CZ has a manual safety..... and the Glock has a shorter reset. But besides those few things...

Maybe I am just not experienced enough to feel the difference in the details?

duc748bip
06-04-2012, 1:00 PM
Thumb forward but sometime it interfear with the slidecatch :(

Donk310
06-04-2012, 1:21 PM
I never had an issue with the grip angle of Glock. I've never had an issue with the grip angle of any pistol for that matter. I find it kind-of weird that it's that big of an issue to anyone.

Lead Waster
06-04-2012, 1:38 PM
This post makes me laugh.

Why don't you find a tool that fits you instead of molding yourself to fit the tool that is uncomfortable for you? There are too many "tools" out there to force feed yourself one that doesn't work well for you.

Try putting a 6'8" 300 pound man into an SN95 and see how well that works. It doesn't because not all tools are made for everyone. To say otherwise is ignorant and foolish. You and others who say that people that don't like glocks are the problem need to stop caring about what others think about a certain kind of firearm. ;)

I sort of agree here. Yes, guns are "tools". But they are expensive $500+ tools. If I'm in some situation where I'm handed some gun and told to make do, then sure, I'll adapt to it. But If I'm SHOPPING for a $500-$1500 tool, why wouldn't I buy one that feels good in my hand? If the theory is that "no matter what the grip, etc, you can adapt to shoot it" then why not start with a comfy gun and adapt to it to shoot really well for you? Like, I can wear any pair of shoes and walk with them, eventually they will wear in, or I will adapt to them, but why not start with a comfy pair?

But it's also true "angle shmangle", you have to line up the sights to be accurate. People say they shoot high because of the glock's grip angle... are they using the sights or just pointing and shooting like the movies? (And with one hand?)

Gryff
06-04-2012, 1:57 PM

Thumbs forward.

And enjoy that double action first trigger pull.

23 Blast
06-04-2012, 2:46 PM
For me it was just the indescribable hideousness of the Glock that I couldn't overcome. I mean, it's like dancing with an ugly girl - sure, maybe she's got good moves on the dance floor, but damn, she sure IS ugly!!! :43:

Seriously though, for me it isn't so much the angle - perhaps the pistol I've put more rounds downrange with was a standard Ruger Mark II, whose grip angle is even more rakish than the Glock - it's the thickness and squarishness of the grip. I can get used to it, but compared to other guns I've tried whose grips just melt in my hands and feel like they were custom-made for me, a Glock's grip is about as ergonomic as a desktop stapler.

daybreak
06-04-2012, 4:56 PM
Thumbs forward.

Thank you. A few people actually answered the question I asked. A lot of people commented that they didn't like the glock grip angle, but did not even bother to say what grip they used. My hypothesis seems wrong, I was assuming that a lot of people who didn't like the grip angle on glocks weren't shooting thumbs forward.

acolytes
06-05-2012, 10:22 AM
Funny thing is I can shoot my XD all day, and then pick up my Glock and shoot it without even noticing a difference or changing up my shooting style consciously.

NYRangerfan2
06-05-2012, 1:49 PM
<--- just trying to get used to the thumbs forward grip ....

fullspeed1
06-05-2012, 2:01 PM
For me it was just the indescribable hideousness of the Glock that I couldn't overcome. I mean, it's like dancing with an ugly girl - sure, maybe she's got good moves on the dance floor, but damn, she sure IS ugly!!! :43:

Seriously though, for me it isn't so much the angle - perhaps the pistol I've put more rounds downrange with was a standard Ruger Mark II, whose grip angle is even more rakish than the Glock - it's the thickness and squarishness of the grip. I can get used to it, but compared to other guns I've tried whose grips just melt in my hands and feel like they were custom-made for me, a Glock's grip is about as ergonomic as a desktop stapler.

Are you shooting it or trying to have sex with it?!!

Gryff
06-05-2012, 2:26 PM
<--- just trying to get used to the thumbs forward grip ....

Takes a while, but worth it once it becomes instinctive. If you do it right, you are driving your thumbs towards your intended target, and makes index shooting much more accurate.

xmattedgex
06-06-2012, 3:45 AM
Funny thing is I can shoot my XD all day, and then pick up my Glock and shoot it without even noticing a difference or changing up my shooting style consciously.

I'm the same way, I don't change anything when I go from my XD to my Glock to a 1911. The one thing I do notice about the Glock grip and angle compared to some other handguns I've fired is the Glock grip helps drive your hand into the beaver tail. I feel like I have a more positive and efficient grip with a Glock than an XD. With my XD, no matter how much I try to really get up as high as I can into that beaver tail my grip backs off it a bit, with my Glock my hand stays high and tight in the beaver tail. If any of that makes sense.

fullspeed1
06-06-2012, 4:37 AM
I'm the same way, I don't change anything when I go from my XD to my Glock to a 1911. The one thing I do notice about the Glock grip and angle compared to some other handguns I've fired is the Glock grip helps drive your hand into the beaver tail. I feel like I have a more positive and efficient grip with a Glock than an XD. With my XD, no matter how much I try to really get up as high as I can into that beaver tail my grip backs off it a bit, with my Glock my hand stays high and tight in the beaver tail. If any of that makes sense.

That seems like the nature of the design.

xmattedgex
06-06-2012, 4:54 AM
That seems like the nature of the design.

One of the reasons I love it.

taloft
06-06-2012, 5:22 AM
I would have been much happier with adjustable front straps to remove the finger grooves. They are my only complaint about the Glock. On the full size guns they fit me fine. But on the compact guns they are too close together for my fat fingers to be comfortable. The other perks of the gun outweigh this one con for me, however.This is what drives me nuts. I can't stand the finger grooves. My fat fingers don't line up even on a 17. There were no grooves on the 1st gen. glocks and it sold a gazillon guns. Should have stuck with a winning formula. I shoot thumbs forward but, the grip angle is the least of my worries. I could get over that if they ditched the finger grooves.

xmattedgex
06-06-2012, 5:28 AM
This is what drives me nuts. I can't stand the finger grooves. My fat fingers don't line up even on a 17. There were no grooves on the 1st gen. glocks and it sold a gazillon guns. Should have stuck with a winning formula. I shoot thumbs forward but, the grip angle is the least of my worries. I could get over that if they ditched the finger grooves.

Great thing about polymer is you can have them removed.

ZX-10R
06-06-2012, 5:34 AM

The Grip I use is on an M&P 45.

compulsivegunbuyer
06-06-2012, 8:11 AM
Thank you. A few people actually answered the question I asked. A lot of people commented that they didn't like the glock grip angle, but did not even bother to say what grip they used. My hypothesis seems wrong, I was assuming that a lot of people who didn't like the grip angle on glocks weren't shooting thumbs forward.

Do you work for Glock or something?

daybreak
06-06-2012, 1:02 PM
I don't even own a glock.

Lead Waster
06-06-2012, 1:24 PM
If you want to feel a comfy grip in a tack driver gun, try a CZ-75 SA with Hogue wrap-around rubber grips. If you fingers fit in the finger grooves, it's amazing.

Iknownot
06-06-2012, 2:13 PM
When I was first starting out, the glock grip angle really bothered me. The thing never felt like it was pointing right. It didn't matter what grip I tried with it. I actually had to think about it when trying to aim. This was different than nearly any other gun I tried at the time. I did better or worse with one or the other, but none felt like they were not pointing right.

Since then, I've shot a lot more and I don't feel the glock grip angle matters much anymore. I can shoot glocks as well as anything else I have limited experience with.

That being said, for me at least, it's too little too late. I don't see any reason at this point to bother with a glock, when there are so many other handguns that feel right just from the start.

daybreak
06-06-2012, 2:19 PM
If you want to feel a comfy grip in a tack driver gun, try a CZ-75 SA with Hogue wrap-around rubber grips. If you fingers fit in the finger grooves, it's amazing.

I might try out those hogue grips. I do like the stock rubber grips on the SP01 however. Talk about a gun that feels great in the hand.