PDA

View Full Version : Sig P229 Enhanced Elite problem chambering a round

woodstock36
05-31-2012, 12:50 AM
So I just picked up my Sig p229 enhanced elite today. It's got the stupid new slide with the loaded chamber flag...anyways...that's a different thread. I'm a new gun owner and this is my first gun so I maybe just newbing out on this problem but I thought I ask you guys before I go running back to my shop looking like an idiot. So I bought some snap caps and was just fooling around getting the feel of the gun. I ran into this problem when chambering a round if I let the slide go back slowly the slide won't go all the way forward. Also When I have the slide back and just drop a round in the chamber and let the slide go it won't go all the way forward. Is this faulty or am I being an idiot and this is some safety thing.

BenHa
05-31-2012, 12:54 AM
Did you clean your gun before using it?

jpm804
I have a 229EE and never tried this... just did it now and it does what you say so I assume that is normal function.

aplinker
don't do that. The resistance of sliding the round out of the mag slows the slide. Chambering a round and releasing the slide is hard on the gun.

Does it feed from the mag? That's all that really matters. Could be the snap caps are faulty too. I would go to the range and shoot it.

P229 is still probably my favorite double stack non-1911 pistol I own. It just feels right...

dem0critus
05-31-2012, 2:52 AM
i have the same gun and yeah, if you slowly let the slide down on a mag of snap caps (a-zoom) sometimes it will get stuck going into the chamber for some reason. I've never experienced a jam or failure to feed/extract with live ammo thru 1200 rounds or so, which makes me think it has something to do with the snap caps.

I think it has something to do with the material or the finish of those things, maybe the weight, but like I said it's only a problem with snap caps in my experience.

Let me know if you experience problems with regular ammo, because I've always wondered if I was the only person with this problem so I'd like to know if it's a defect or something that might cause a failure to feed.

Also, I'd imagine dropping a round in the chamber would probably stop it from locking up all the way because the extractor might not be able to get past the end of the round..

Sig Marine
05-31-2012, 6:05 AM
Congratulations on your new gun. The first thing you need to do is field strip the weapon and remove all of the shipping grease and oil on the frame and slide. Then, reassemble using a little grease on the frame rails and outside of the barrel. Disassemble the magazine and clean it thoroughly - reassemble dry.

When operating your new weapon, do not ride the slide into battery by holding on and slowly lowering the slide. Pull the slide to the rear and let go. The gun is designed for the recoil spring to supply the necessary force required to strip a round from the magazine, chamber the round and close/bring the slide into battery.

Also, it's best to not have the slide to the rear and drop a round into the chamber and then drop the slide onto it. This can cause broken extractors. In normal operation, when a round is stripped from the magazine the case head is slid up the breach face and under the extractor claw. It is not meant to be "snapped" over the case-head.

Hope this helps...Sig Marine (Certified Sig Armorer)

aznanimekid
05-31-2012, 6:26 AM
yea i broke a snap cap rim by dropping the slide on a chambered round. you dont have to baby the slide, rack it all the way back and let it go. it needs that force.

toby77
05-31-2012, 11:50 AM
You are all good there, just rack the slide and let go.

scglock
05-31-2012, 12:06 PM
Rack it like you mean it and you'll be good to go. It wont hurt the gun

AeroEngi
05-31-2012, 12:09 PM
I've confirmed what you're saying on my P226, P220 and 1911. I was experiencing the same thing that you described. You can't slowly ride the slide forward and expect it to chamber a round properly. You're supposed to pull the slide all the way back and let go. This will let the recoil spring do it's job. Also, never put a round in the chamber and drop the slide. The extractor is not designed to jump the case rim. The case rim is supposed to slide under the extractor when the round is picked up from the mag.

Congrats on the new gun! Take it to the range and put a couple hundred rounds through it and let us know how it did.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

woodstock36
05-31-2012, 12:17 PM
Thanks for all the responses. I haven't cleaned it so I'll do that first. I'll take it
To the range and run some rounds through it too and see if I have any problems. I think you guys are right about
The snap caps. I won't baby the slide either. Thanks for the advice and I'll let you know what happens.

Elysium
05-31-2012, 10:50 PM
Congrats! I have the same 229. Likes others have said don't ride the slide. The LCI is so minor you barely notice it after you shoot it a lot. Enjoy.

PMMA92
06-02-2012, 5:55 PM
Take care of your extractor, always feed your pistol from the mag.

woodstock36
06-24-2012, 11:20 PM
Just an update...cleaned it and took it to the range. Didn't run into any problems. It definitely has to do with the snap caps. I think like dem0critus said either the weight or finish or material but either way one of those screws with it. Let me know if you guys run into any problems but as far as I can tell it's a snap cap thing.

dem0critus
06-25-2012, 2:25 AM
Just an update...cleaned it and took it to the range. Didn't run into any problems. It definitely has to do with the snap caps. I think like dem0critus said either the weight or finish or material but either way one of those screws with it. Let me know if you guys run into any problems but as far as I can tell it's a snap cap thing.

Nice ya since I last posted I haven't had any problems either. Still 100% on live ammo.

fullrearview
06-25-2012, 7:06 AM
Congrats on the gun and welcome to CGN! Sigs are great weapons and yours is not having any issues.

Always let the slide do the work. Don't "ride" it forward.

Don't drop a round in the chamber and release the slide. It's not designed for it and it's not good for the rim of the casing.