PDA

View Full Version : Anyone have these? Howard Leight R-01526 Impact Sport Electronic Earmuffs

Danz la Nuit
05-30-2012, 10:16 PM
The sonic defenders I asked about in the other thread didn't seem to get all that great of feedback, I noticed these from a post on SlickGuns

$45

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001T7QJ9O/

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41ShugcEeRL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

johnny_boy02
05-30-2012, 10:39 PM
I have them and hate them. They don't block much sound. I have to wear earplugs and crank the speaker all the way up.

Tym2getbizeee
05-30-2012, 10:43 PM
Work fine for me. Rifle and pistol. Make sure you have them on the right way with the mic towards the front. Best electronic earmuffs without breaking the bank.

aznanimekid
05-30-2012, 10:48 PM
i found them inadequate by themselves but doubled up are perfect for hearing convos easily. and you can play music while shooting ^_^

Excitable Boy
05-30-2012, 10:48 PM
I got a couple pairs recently for me and my noise sensitive wife and both of us found them useful at an indoor range. The ability to communicate without yelling made the range trip a lot better for her. We plan on hitting the outdoor range Friday and expect that they will work well.

Danz la Nuit
05-30-2012, 11:02 PM
I am surprised at the disparity in opinions with some of the hearing protection products...

I expected some subjectivity with level of comfort and such but did not expect to see some people say that product A is a horrible waste of money and also have other people say the complete and total opposite lol...

wamphyri13
05-30-2012, 11:13 PM
I have a pair. Just make sure you have them situated properly on your head before shooting. If not, they leave a gap you'll notice right away! lol Once you get it right though, they're great. Turn the mic down while shooting, then up when your not. Hearing is really good. I used mine at Los Altos Rod and Gun this past Saturday. It was in the low 40's and fog was rolling through the range. They acted as earmuffs keeping my ears warm.
I like and use mine all the time.
Ryan

lpk5
05-30-2012, 11:21 PM
No complaints except... I bought 2 pairs when they were $49.

CSDsofaKing
05-30-2012, 11:32 PM
I couple these up with my sonic defenders for shooting
indoors. Outdoor either these or the sonic defenders by
themselves. Also, the slimmer ear muff profile works well
with my cheek resting on the stock blastin' off rounds
with the AR.

IMO, good bang for your buck. Also has a cable
attachment that you can use with your iPod/MP3 player, but
don't expect great quality sound. As of late, I've gone with the
inner ear buds for the MP3 player and Leights with the
microphone all the way up.

Army
05-31-2012, 6:43 AM
#1 choice of the California military department Small Arms Master Gunners, and Camp Roberts' Task Force Warrior's "Team Rifle".

Charles4400
05-31-2012, 6:49 AM
They are great!

I like to double up when indoors, but fine as is for outdoors.

Either way I usually have the volume cranked up and its great to be able to talk to your buddy without screaming all the time!

Sac-AR15
05-31-2012, 6:50 AM
Have one and it works ok. Definitely make sure they are on properly otherwise there is a gap. I
double up with earplugs.

Socalmedix
05-31-2012, 7:01 AM
I love them... They work well for me

Lead Waster
05-31-2012, 7:20 AM
I have a pair for long guns. I prefer my bulky sears muffs or hl passive muffs for indoors. Ditto what others day about the gap.

Arkangel
05-31-2012, 7:33 AM
They work well for me. I just switched from the sonic defenders to these.

rgs1975
05-31-2012, 7:38 AM
Got 'em, use 'em, love 'em.

scglock
05-31-2012, 8:27 AM
For the price they're great

BamBam-31
05-31-2012, 8:32 AM
They've worked very well for me. No complaints at all. I do double up, however, but I'd do that regardless of the brand of muffs I'm wearing.

707electrician
05-31-2012, 8:39 AM
I use them when Im in the pits pulling targets or when Im pistol shooting but with rifle I cant get them to seal properly and get a good cheekweld

joefrank64k
05-31-2012, 9:23 AM
I have them and they work great. Very low-profile so they don't get in the way when trying to get a good cheek weld. I've got a melon for a head (7 3/4 to 8) and even on me, they fit comfortably and can be worn all day. Great battery life, too.

I think I paid about $45 shipped from Amazon.

joker70
05-31-2012, 9:26 AM
I have them but still double up with ear plugs underneath and the volume turned all the way up. I'm sure there are others that perform much better by themselves but probably cost $$$.

orangeusa
05-31-2012, 9:34 AM
I am surprised at the disparity in opinions with some of the hearing protection products...

I expected some subjectivity with level of comfort and such but did not expect to see some people say that product A is a horrible waste of money and also have other people say the complete and total opposite lol...

3 Touchy subjects - Optics, Glocks and hearing protection. You'll get purists, fanboys and the common man's opinion. Up to you to figure out which post is which... :)

They've worked very well for me. No complaints at all. I do double up, however, but I'd do that regardless of the brand of muffs I'm wearing.

I have them but still double up with ear plugs underneath and the volume turned all the way up. I'm sure there are others that perform much better by themselves but probably cost $$$.

^^ +2 here - I agree - for the price, they work great. Try taking a shooting class with traditional earmuffs.... You'll miss half of what the instructors are saying. The batteries last a surprisingly long time. And yes, they don't have the dB reduction of non-electronic muffs, but are small...
Def use earplugs and turn up the volume like the guys above suggested..

SIGSHOOTR
05-31-2012, 11:46 AM
I have 'em and love them-- and you can't beat the price.

dem0critus
05-31-2012, 11:53 AM
i see tons of people wearing these at both the indoor and outdoor range. Never tried them myself.

Atekhed
05-31-2012, 12:43 PM
Have and like em. Indoors like many others I do double them with ear plugs. Depending on the range outdoors I usually just wear them by themselves.

Especially useful when I've taken a training class to hear the instructors on the line. I turn them around so the mics are facing backwards so I can hear the range commands better.

Keep spare, fresh batteries on hand in your range bag in case FYI.

jonzer77
05-31-2012, 1:53 PM
I have them and they work great for the money. I would double up as well when I am at in indoor range as well.

One thing though, they automatically shut off after four hours which is a good thing. I didn't realize that when I was at a steel challenge match and they turned off. I threw some new batteries in it thinking that the batteries died lol. Whenever they shut off after 4 hours, just turn then off and then on again.

Packy14
05-31-2012, 1:57 PM
not the most comfortable, but not bad function wise. I double up with soft earplugs.

stix213
05-31-2012, 1:59 PM
They leave a gap at the bottom rear of both muffs. The padding on them is pretty thin, combined with the shape of my head I guess. Anyway I traded them to a friend who is making me a cool dog collar.

XD40SUBBIE
05-31-2012, 2:59 PM
I just bought these from Amazon, $47 and some change with one-day shipping with Prime. I was tossed between these and the Ryobi $49.99 Tek4. I choose these because these are made for shooting, while the Ryobi is more for power tools. Albeit, I read that the Ryobi's do work well in the range from owners, but they have to turn the mic backwards, plus the Impact Sports look better.

Bobby Ricigliano
05-31-2012, 3:29 PM
They work well, the microphone works too well. I overhear every last word of the useless, FUD-filled conversations going on by the ninja operators on either side of me at the range.

USMC 82-86
05-31-2012, 6:25 PM
I have the same ones. I like mine and have had no problems.

socalpistolero
05-31-2012, 7:13 PM
Mine work well.

drdarkness
05-31-2012, 10:55 PM
I love mine.

Grumpyoldretiredcop
05-31-2012, 11:38 PM
I have a pair, bought a pair for the SO also. A little easier to dislodge than some, but very good for the price and work well for me.

Lead Waster
05-31-2012, 11:41 PM
The ryobi tek4 headphones are the same as the craftsman ones I have and love. But I paid $15 for mine!! BUT the sears ones may be discontinued, hence the low price ... And only a few weeks after they were introduced!!

htfan
06-01-2012, 6:16 AM
I have a pair too. Work well. Nice to have the option of hearing each other without yelling. However, I still have to double up indoors.

Never Convicted
06-01-2012, 6:41 AM
work well, you wont be disappointed and easy to change the batteries

JRIZZO
06-01-2012, 12:10 PM
Like others have said - make sure they are firmly on your head. Unlike other muffs I have used, these ones are pretty particular. Also, the padding is stiffer than some other muffs, so if you have bulky eye protection, there may be a gap where sound can get in. I make sure to use glasses with a very thin frame so there is no gap. I am happy with mine overall.

chunker
06-01-2012, 1:16 PM
I love mine and I double them up with ear plugs but I always do that even with the regular non electronic ear muffs.

Steve_In_29
06-01-2012, 9:20 PM
I have three pairs (bought at different times) and my wife, grandson and I all really like them. As does anyone that has borrowed a set. WELL worth the money. Especially when they are on sale at Big5 and you also use a coupon. Mine have run $40 a set like that.

zdragon
06-01-2012, 9:42 PM
got Impact....priced right.

i prefer this if no money is no object.
http://img560.imageshack.us/img560/8596/p2840000081.jpg
By zdagon52 (http://profile.imageshack.us/user/zdagon52) at 2012-06-01

Danz la Nuit
06-01-2012, 10:35 PM
got Impact....priced right.

i prefer this if no money is no object.
http://img560.imageshack.us/img560/8596/p2840000081.jpg
By zdagon52 (http://profile.imageshack.us/user/zdagon52) at 2012-06-01

Do you have a model # or link to check these out?

MrExel17
06-01-2012, 10:41 PM
+1 Love mine!

Lc17smp
06-02-2012, 9:43 AM
So I just ordered these thru the shop42a. How do I confirm it donated to the cause? Is there somewhere in my amazon acct I can see it? They were just over $43 to my door.

Thrashard340
06-02-2012, 4:53 PM
I bought a pair for my GF...she doubles up. I liked them so much that I bought myself a pair. They are not the quietest, but that's the way I prefer since I am trying to condition myself a bit in terms of shooting noise. One of the Rangemasters at Los Altos Gun Club also wore a pair of these last weekend. It's good for the price.

bogeyshooter
06-02-2012, 5:52 PM
I have 'em, I like 'em.

9mmepiphany
06-02-2012, 9:12 PM
I was discussing these with a friend today and a question came up.

When the ear muffs react to a shot being fired, does it cut off all sound or just the sounds above a certain db level?

Can you carry on a conversation with someone also wearing electronic muffs when there is gunfire next to you?

adonis
11-23-2012, 6:14 PM
Sorry to bump an old thread but this one is pretty specific.

Has anyone tried these vs. the R-01902
http://www.amazon.com/Honeywell-R-01902-Electronic-Shooting-Earmuffs/dp/B007BGSI5U/ref=pd_cp_hi_0

I like the 30 nrr rating and seem good for the price compared to the $200+ sets.

dpop24
11-23-2012, 8:45 PM
They work well, the microphone works too well. I overhear every last word of the useless, FUD-filled conversations going on by the ninja operators on either side of me at the range.

+1! This is the only problem I have with them as well.

uhlan1
11-23-2012, 9:12 PM
Work well but I also have that gap issue. Have to wrestle them around a bit. I like shooting with a hat and that might play a role. I also use Sonic Defenders underneath when indoors

ZEALOT
11-23-2012, 9:20 PM
These are garbage. They don't block any sound.

TheThousands
11-23-2012, 10:12 PM
I had a pair and got rid of them, don't seal well and I always end up switching back to plugs. My dad likes them though so if they fit I say go for it.

SDM44
11-24-2012, 2:15 AM
They work great for me and fit on my had just find. I tend to use foam plugs underneath them, even when outdoors since I can easily hold a conversation them on along with plugs.

FI, not sure if anyone got the email from Amazon today of BF, but they were on sale for $29 with free shipping. I haven't checked again lately to see if the price changed, but it was tempting to pick up another set, even though I already have 3 sets (2 for me, 1 for wife or guests).

Bobula
11-24-2012, 2:24 AM
I switched from the cheaply peltors to these. Love them. I ran range last week and was very pleased. Low profile enough to shoot shotguns and still dropped the sound to comfortable levels. Make sure there's no gap and they're fitted properly.
Ordering a set for all my guys at work.

Quiet
11-24-2012, 7:16 AM
I got mine a few years back for around $35. Still use them, works good.

XDJYo
11-24-2012, 7:55 AM
Sorry to bump an old thread but this one is pretty specific.

Has anyone tried these vs. the R-01902
http://www.amazon.com/Honeywell-R-01902-Electronic-Shooting-Earmuffs/dp/B007BGSI5U/ref=pd_cp_hi_0

I like the 30 nrr rating and seem good for the price compared to the $200+ sets.

I have both the Impact Sport and the R-01902. The Honeywells block out A LOT of sound. The trade off is that the volume is not as high. In fact, I returned the first pair I bought thinking that they were defective. But, the 2nd pair were just the same. In other words, you put them on and it doesn't seem to boost the sounds around you much. At least not in comparison to the Impact Sports.

I usually double up with foam earplugs and the electronic ear muffs no matter. But, one day I did go with just the Honeywell's at the local outdoor range. Obviously much louder, but I don't think there were any issues with it not blocking enough noise. Indoors, I wouldn't take a chance and always double up.

The only down side to these is the size and weight. Since I'm only a pistol shooter, I don't have to tuck my head down that far. But, I am right-handed/left-eye dominant, so I do have to tuck my noggin down a bit. I would bump into them every once in a while. For long range sessions, they can start to hurt my ears a bit. Maybe my ears are on the radar-size, but they sorta hurt. The other thing is that they don't fold up compact like the Impact Sports. They take up a bit of space in the range bag.

The one big plus is that you can plug in your music while you're shooting. I haven't done that at the range yet. I did note that the music won't get terribly too loud and the quality isn't all that great either.

My only other comparison are to the $29 Champion electronic earmuffs I returned. Those worked well enough, but just didn't seem like they would stand up to a lot of use. Those did cut the sound down with a hand clap, so you could really tell when they worked.

I did see Hickok45 using the Impact Sports while shooting a S&W500, 50 caliber revolver for what it's worth.

Hope this helps and happy shooting and be safe!!!

sholling
11-24-2012, 8:08 AM
I bought a set as spares when they were on sale and found their sound blocking grossly inadequate for indoor range use and barely adequate for an outdoor range - as long as nobody is blasting off magnums. I keep them in my bedroom for home defense use. They have enough amplification to give you an advantage and enough protection for the 1-2 shots exchanged in a home defense situation.

The Howard Leight R-01902 (http://www.amazon.com/Honeywell-R-01902-Electronic-Shooting-Earmuffs/dp/B007BGSI5U) Impact Pro are huge but look like they would be much better (NRR30) for use with loud handguns. Unfortunately these are too big for rifles and shotguns.

My overall favorite are Pro-Ears Predator Gold (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001UTBS42) (NRR26) but they're bloody expensive and I still double up with ear plugs at indoor ranges.

Capybara
11-24-2012, 8:11 AM
I have 'em too, a pair for me and for my son. We like them fine. They are not fine precision instruments or super comfortable for all day but for casual shooting, they are great. If I needed something super high quality, they are about $300.00. For the way I shoot, these are fine and much superior to just passive headphones. You won't find better for anywhere near the same cost.

zdragon
11-24-2012, 8:19 AM
Again.... make sure your ears are completely covered by the muffs.
i shoot my 44mag indoor and my 30-06 outdoor wearing those w/o any issues.

fmunk
11-24-2012, 5:49 PM
It works, but if you shoot rifle or shotgun, it gets in the way.

AAShooter
11-24-2012, 6:05 PM
I think they are hard to beat for the price but there are better performing units at higher prices.