PDA

View Full Version : potato gun

huntercf
05-30-2012, 9:02 PM
Ok, I searched I can't find a thread.
Sorry if this seems stupid but are potato guns legal in CA? I have built several in WA (for my Mom and Grandparents) and was thinking about building one for down here. Since the barrel would be over .60 but it doesn't use gunpowder and no buttstock, would that be ok?
I know it is silly to ask but hey potato guns are fun and we all know that CA loves to ban fun.

troysland
05-30-2012, 9:04 PM
I found a cool link
http://www.advancedspuds.com/

G-forceJunkie
05-30-2012, 9:09 PM
Considering that CA defines a firearm as: , “‘any device, designed to be used as a weapon, from which is expelled through a barrel, a projectile by the force of any explosion or other form of combustion.” I'm going to say the fun police probably frown on them if discharged anywhere it is illegal to dischard a firearm.

huntercf
05-30-2012, 9:22 PM
I found a cool link
http://www.advancedspuds.com/

That looks just like the ones I built.

dantodd
05-30-2012, 9:52 PM
Should be legal. I believe the other times this has come up we decided they may be a firearm if they use an aerosolized propellant, if it uses compressed gait isn't a firearm. It doesn't fire fixed ammunition so it doesn't fall under the definition of a DD.

If used responsibly as a recreation device you are probably perfectly legal. If it is used as a "weapon" you might run into other troubles.

SKSer
05-30-2012, 10:01 PM
if it has a 10 round fixed magazine and a bullet button :D

saki302
05-30-2012, 10:05 PM
If you're worried about the law. build a pneumatic compressed air potato cannon. That's definitely legal.

Aerosol combustion spud guns are iffy at best.

-Dave

huntercf
05-30-2012, 10:25 PM
The ones I build use hairspray or ether for propellant.

axel4488
05-30-2012, 10:56 PM
Should be legal. I believe the other times this has come up we decided they may be a firearm if they use an aerosolized propellant, if it uses compressed gait isn't a firearm. It doesn't fire fixed ammunition so it doesn't fall under the definition of a DD.

If used responsibly as a recreation device you are probably perfectly legal. If it is used as a "weapon" you might run into other troubles.

Does that mean no to flaming tennis balls? :43:

mdib870
05-30-2012, 11:43 PM
it shoots food so i don't think its classified as a firearm just think of it has a high speed method of ingesting food.... I've been stopped by a cop as a kid playing with one in the park the cop thought it was cool as heck and asked how he could build one for his kid..

but this was many years ago

mdib870
05-30-2012, 11:49 PM
its a huge tube made of pvc or abs plastic i highly doubt a cop would give you trouble now if your shooting it at cars or destroying property then thats a different story......

WE HAVE A FIRE MISSION FIRE FOR EFECT.....thump incoming potato

VaderSpade
05-31-2012, 5:59 AM
My son built one about 10 years ago. Someone printed out the law and showed us in writing that it was illegal. I don't remember the exact law but we took it apart. I do remember compressed air would have been alright at the time but that was years ago.

Some Guy
05-31-2012, 6:00 AM
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=342975

Some Guy
05-31-2012, 6:06 AM
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=418448

gatesbox
05-31-2012, 6:30 AM
You have to paint he potatoes red and stick sparklers in them so you can call it a signal flare.

NYsteveZ
05-31-2012, 7:53 AM
I built one as a kid and everyone who would see it fire would pee their pants laughing. Man, that thing could lob some spuds! I would steal my step-sisters aqua net hairspray (worked best) or use starting fluid (STUPID!) from my dirtbikes. The only people that were pissed were my sister and step mom-always out of potatoes and hairspray.
I dont see it as a major firearm issue, but I would bet a call to your local Sheriff or PD would answer all your questions. It all comes down to the area and what rules they have in place. A potatoe gun in Yucca Valley is a lot different than one in downtown LA.

dantodd
05-31-2012, 7:55 AM
Aerosol combustion spud guns are iffy at best.

What law do you think they violate?

freonr22
05-31-2012, 8:05 AM
http://www.spudgun.com/RIFLEDBARREL.htm

dantodd
05-31-2012, 8:11 AM
http://www.spudgun.com/RIFLEDBARREL.htm

Pretty cool. Now you need to make a mold to cast bullets out of mashed potato flakes.....

huntercf
05-31-2012, 8:15 AM
I like the apple core with the sawdust and gas, I'll have to try that in WA since I'm pretty sure it is illegal in CA, because everything that is fun is illegal.
Funny, my nephew had to build a potato gun in high school for his physics class and they shot them on the PE fields, different state though.

dantodd
05-31-2012, 8:18 AM
I like the apple core with the sawdust and gas, I'll have to try that in WA since I'm pretty sure it is illegal in CA, because everything that is fun is illegal.
Funny, my nephew had to build a potato gun in high school for his physics class and they shot them on the PE fields, different state though.

They are not illegal in CA. (Unless intended to be used as a weapon.)

Manolito
05-31-2012, 8:25 AM
I just bought one over the net with a tennis ball adapter. didn't even think about it being against the law.

Pretty safe bacause the volume gets to rich if you over due the propellant and won't fire. I have been using a propane for propellant it is great fun and the dogs chase the balls.

ConcernedCitizen
05-31-2012, 8:44 AM

They shot the entire physics class? Just for the potato gun? OMG! The humanity!

freonr22
05-31-2012, 8:47 AM
Oxy acetylene. Aquanet. Starting fluid.

huntercf
05-31-2012, 8:54 AM
They shot the entire physics class? Just for the potato gun? OMG! The humanity!

Ok, Ok, I was a math major not an English major. LOL. It is pretty funny now that you point it out.:D

Jeepergeo
05-31-2012, 8:56 AM
Ok, I searched I can't find a thread.
Sorry if this seems stupid but are potato guns legal in CA? I have built several in WA (for my Mom and Grandparents) and was thinking about building one for down here. Since the barrel would be over .60 but it doesn't use gunpowder and no buttstock, would that be ok?
I know it is silly to ask but hey potato guns are fun and we all know that CA loves to ban fun.

I have no idea if they are legal, and have an inkling that some LEOs might have issues with them depending on where and how they are used.

BUT, they are a ton of fun. The local Scouts make them and then have a competition including distance and accuracy games. They shoot them at a safe, wide open area far away from roads, homes, and businesses. The kids look forward to it all year. But when done with the competition, the tater shooters get cut up and put out of action. No injuries reported and this has gone on for years.

strongpoint
05-31-2012, 9:54 AM
but why would you shoot a defenseless potato?

mdwbbi
05-31-2012, 12:07 PM
At my kid's middle school science fair (in CA), two kids made potato launchers, one with compressed air, the other with aerosol propellant. They shot them off on the school grounds. The aerosol propellant launcher had an electronic ignition, was very cool. Everyone loved it. Potato launched about 200 yards. I told my kid's after seeing that we've got to make one of those (haven't gotten around to it yet though).

DTOM CA!
05-31-2012, 12:42 PM
Just make sure it does not end up on youtube or the news. We don't want Leland Yee to get ant ideas.

TheExiled
05-31-2012, 12:54 PM
We used to make them with BBQ igniters, we got a couple hundred yards out of a rifled potato once

calif 15-22
05-31-2012, 1:38 PM
Those things look awesome . . .

So do they still require an FFL?
Is it a DROS and 10 day wait?
What about 1-in-30? Oh wait it's a long gun.
And Whole Foods has potatoes 20 to bag. Is that considered "High Cap Mag"

I really gotta get one of those!:cool:

753X0
05-31-2012, 4:21 PM
Considering that CA defines a firearm as: , “‘any device, designed to be used as a weapon, from which is expelled through a barrel, a projectile by the force of any explosion or other form of combustion.” I'm going to say the fun police probably frown on them if discharged anywhere it is illegal to dischard a firearm.

That whole passage couldn't exclude *air-powered* potato guns more explicitly if it was designed by a defense attorney.

The Original Godfather
05-31-2012, 5:11 PM
If anyone hassles you, just tell them it's a science experiment.

ar15robert
05-31-2012, 8:00 PM
I have one and i use startingg fluid it doesnt take much just a very tiny spray.The chamber on mine is only 4 inch abs and 8 inches long.It will launch them a couple hundred yards.

Never been a problem but then again never seen a ranger or other LEO agency.But i feel if i used it as a dangerous weapon to harm someone or destruct property then i may have a problem with the law.Otherwise its just a toy.

SJgunguy24
05-31-2012, 10:04 PM
The ones I build use hairspray or ether for propellant.

Ether works way better and the can lasts forever.
The penal code define a firearm as any device designed to be used as a weapon and uses combustion to expel a projectile. I doubt you would use it as a weapon but could a prosecuter sell that to a jury?
Stick with .a compressed gas and your in the clear.

mdib870
05-31-2012, 10:42 PM
use a tasor as an ignitor they work like an old hag

motorhead
06-01-2012, 1:20 AM
2" X 4' BBL., 6" X 18" COMBUSTION CHAMBER. potato artillery. bbq. ignitor. aquanet from the .99 store.
you do have to be careful in the city. a few years back i remember someone called the cops to report a rocket launcher, turned out to be some nieghbors shooting their spud gun in the back yard. i live in the stix, i can shoot anything.

motorhead
06-01-2012, 1:20 AM
2" X 4' BBL., 6" X 18" COMBUSTION CHAMBER. potato artillery. bbq. ignitor. aquanet from the .99 store.
you do have to be careful in the city. a few years back i remember someone called the cops to report a rocket launcher, turned out to be some nieghbors shooting their spud gun in the back yard. i live in the stix, i can shoot anything.

huntercf
06-01-2012, 10:37 AM
I wouldn't be shooting it here in fontucky, but I could see planting some taters out at hodge road.
I can't wait to get to WA and try the apple core with sawdust at my Mom's house. I can shoot it from her front porch (along with any gun I want, still legal).

fpeel
06-01-2012, 12:07 PM
Long barrel. Single shot. Wouldn't that qualify for an SSE?

For several years a group of my buddies were into potato guns and were always trying to out do each other. One of these guys was an absolutely brilliant engineer and built one of the best spud guns I've seen. His favorite ammo was "Skyscraper" hairspray and foam rubber footballs. At one of his annual parties he decided to show off his latest design. Aiming at the garage door to avoid losing the football, he punched a nice neat hole in it. The invitations to this annual event thereafter had the disclaimer, "NO POTATO GUNS ALLOWED." It didn't stop him from occasionally pulling it out, but did keep the arms proliferation to a minimum.

stevied
06-01-2012, 12:38 PM
Makes me want to build one again. We made one when I was in high school that was 6" chamber 12" long. It would shoot potatoes about 200-250 yards...badass. I remember we wanted to shoot it in our yard once so we shot it at one of those little green recycle bins you set on the curb. Needless to say it had to be thrown away after one shot.

Long barrel. Single shot. Wouldn't that qualify for an SSE?

For several years a group of my buddies were into potato guns and were always trying to out do each other. One of these guys was an absolutely brilliant engineer and built one of the best spud guns I've seen. His favorite ammo was "Skyscraper" hairspray and foam rubber footballs. At one of his annual parties he decided to show off his latest design. Aiming at the garage door to avoid losing the football, he punched a nice neat hole in it. The invitations to this annual event thereafter had the disclaimer, "NO POTATO GUNS ALLOWED." It didn't stop him from occasionally pulling it out, but did keep the arms proliferation to a minimum.