PDA

View Full Version : What magazines should I get for the new Sig 1911?

Danz la Nuit
05-30-2012, 8:56 PM
Some people at the shop were recommending that I check out the Chip McCormic brand mags but warned that they are pricey...

What other brands should I be checking out?

http://www.cmctactical.com/default.htm

ChrisKalan
05-30-2012, 9:05 PM
Here is a shot in the dark.
How about the factory mags?

All kidding aside, what are wrong with the OEM mags?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Danz la Nuit
05-30-2012, 9:11 PM
Here is a shot in the dark.
How about the factory mags?

All kidding aside, what are wrong with the OEM mags?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Not saying there is anything wrong with them, this is my first pistol so I actually don't recall how many magazines are going to come with the pistol when I go to pick it up, but I am assuming I will likely want more than the amount that comes with the pistol.

If the stock Sig mags have a good reputation then perhaps I may not need to look so much at other companies' mags & instead ask where I can purchase more stock Sig mags?

Any guidance is appreciated, I am a newbie when it comes to pistols! :cool:

railroader
05-30-2012, 9:15 PM
I like CMC mags but I also have some older mec-gar mags that work good. You can get mec-gars here pretty cheap. http://gregcotellc.com/cart/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=97_120&products_id=784

NeoGeo630
05-30-2012, 9:19 PM
You have to check out Wilson Combat 47D's. That's all I run in my 1911's. Never had an issue, ever.

cfusionpm
05-30-2012, 9:32 PM
Wilson 47D's in my Sig nitron rail. Flawless so far.

Ubermcoupe
05-30-2012, 9:38 PM
I’m partial to Wilsons myself. :)

greg916
05-30-2012, 9:42 PM
go with wilson combat

TempleKnight
05-30-2012, 9:43 PM
Wilson Combat ETM's

http://shopwilsoncombat.com/1911-Elite-Tactical-Magazine-45-ACP-Full-Size-8-Round-ETM-Base-Pad/productinfo/500

Mr. Gillious
05-30-2012, 9:45 PM
i have a kimber customk 2 and my wilson combat mags work the best. chip mccormick is nice to but sometimes the follower will tilt forward on you. they are still very good mags in my opinion though.

the CMC 8 rounders cost about $23 from where i get them in san bruno

i'm not too fond of the mec gar mags. they worked for me but are of poorer quality compared to my CMC and wilson combats.

The 10 round wilson combats are very nice too

pc_load_letter
05-30-2012, 9:58 PM
I picked up Chip McCormick mags (Power Plus) 10 rounders from MidwayUSA for $25

vantage
05-30-2012, 10:01 PM
Ed Brown 8-Packs are my current favorite. They fit my magwell near flush.

cebuvfr
05-30-2012, 10:45 PM
Wilson Combat and Chip McCormick. I also use KimPro by Kimber.

Danz la Nuit
05-30-2012, 10:49 PM
Seems like a lot of votes for "Wilson's"

TheBladeRunner
05-30-2012, 11:11 PM
+1 for Wilson Combat. I have both ETMs and 47Ds, but I prefer the ETMs.

Brandon04GT
05-30-2012, 11:23 PM
"Wilson Combat mags are the best"

"CMC PowerMags are the best"

"Tripp Cobra mags are the best"

"Factory magazines worked great for me"

Just buy any big name brand and be happy. Lots of people have problems with magazines that lots of others swear by. Just buy one or two of one kind and try it out and see how your gun likes it.

If you really want to analyze it, the three main things to consider when deciding on 1911 magazines are the feed lips, follower, and basepad options. You also want to make sure your mags have strong springs in them.

Generally it is better on the long run to stick with a seven round capacity if using a GI length magazine body because all the newer ones with 8 round capacity compromise on follower integrity and spring length to achieve the extra round capacity. Yes, even though there are many people who currently run 8rd mags such as Wilson 47Ds/CMC power mags/KimPro Tac mags without problems, reliability issues might come up later down the road.

If you really want 8 rounds, the Tripp Cobra mags and the new Wilson ETMs are supposed to be best because they feature slightly longer magazine bodies necessary to contain eight rounds and not give up on follower integrity and spring power.

Danz la Nuit
05-30-2012, 11:31 PM
When I look at the Wilson Combat website magazine selection page there seem to be quite a few options...

For my Sig 1911 .45 SSS-R

Which magazines should I be looking at on the Wilson site?

http://shopwilsoncombat.com/Ammunition/departments/1/

cfusionpm
05-30-2012, 11:37 PM
Depends on what you want. I don't want a flush base and I like 8 rounds, so I use 47D mags.

My Sig factory mags are also 8 rounds.

InGrAM
05-30-2012, 11:53 PM
My mec-gar mags have worked quite nice in my GSR but the factory Novak mags work as well.

aplinker
05-31-2012, 1:33 AM
Any are fine. Just buy a few and make sure they run flawlessly in your gun.

I grew fond of Novaks for when I let them drop free - cheaper, chromed, and I like the plastic floorplates.

All the others are good too.

You're over thinking things. You don't have to have the "best." You're trying to find confidence in your own stuff by polls. The only way to be confident in YOUR equipment is to USE IT.

Arkangel
05-31-2012, 2:10 AM
Yet another vote for Wilson 47 D's

Dionyn
05-31-2012, 3:01 AM
I personally use Tripp Cobramags in 8 and 10 round flavors. The 10 rounders are brand new and I need to use a loader like the Uplula magazine loader to make them function properly (FTF issues). Hopefully this issue will go away once the mags are broken in a bit.

As a side note though, I have also used a friend's Wilson Combat 47D 8 round mags as well as the factory mags that came with the handgun without issues.

luckystrike
05-31-2012, 9:15 AM
I didnt like the sig factory 1911 mags. they felt junky and I had a malfunction from one. Wilson or chip. quality or cheap, pick one.

IBJanky
05-31-2012, 9:25 AM
CMC mags have never given me any problems.

myke

rd2play
05-31-2012, 9:33 AM
I've never had problems with the factory Sig 1911 mags, so I got another two from them. I dropped them on the ground, sand got inside and they kept working.

Now I have yet another two on the way, this time attached to another Sig 1911. LOL

redcliff
05-31-2012, 9:40 AM
My opinion only, and others may disagree.

I find Wilson 47D's to be less than optimal. The magazine tube is slightly shorter than I think it should be for an 8 round mag and the magazine spring is a bit weak. The Wilson ETM is a better choice as it corrects these deficiencies plus it has a better follower especially if you have alloy framed 1911's.

However, I've switched to Tripp Research 8R-45-RG magazines since I've had a couple problems with my ETM's after extensive shooting.

The Tripp Research mags work great with both alloy and steel framed 1911's (captured follower can't tip forward and gouge alloy frame) have a great finish, strong magazine bodies and excellent magazine springs. I even have a few with the alloy magazine basepad which is a work of art. Of the 50+ 1911 magazines I have from virtually all the manufacturers (I've been shooting 1911's for almost 40 years now) I find the Tripp Research mags to be of the highest quality overall.

cwin
05-31-2012, 9:58 AM
Wilson 47Ds have been 100% reliable for me. I'd check those out.

scglock
05-31-2012, 10:40 AM
I use cmc power and shooting star mags. No issues here

Xtracrispy
05-31-2012, 1:12 PM
I got a Wilson 47 for my Sig 1911. It works fine except it usually doesn't lock the slide back, which leads to the slide jamming on the back of the follower. I don't know if its something that will "break in" but so far it hasn't with a couple dozen uses.

NeoGeo630
05-31-2012, 1:31 PM
I got a Wilson 47 for my Sig 1911. It works fine except it usually doesn't lock the slide back, which leads to the slide jamming on the back of the follower. I don't know if its something that will "break in" but so far it hasn't with a couple dozen uses.

Interesting. That's never happened to me yet in my Sig TacOps Traditional. I've gone 800 rounds through it already. Will have to keep this in mind in case it ever does happen.

tacticalcity
05-31-2012, 1:44 PM
Chips and Wilson Combat are well worth the money. Well made and will last a really long time.

Xtracrispy
05-31-2012, 1:45 PM
I might have gotten a bad mag or something. My friend has an RIA 1911 I want to try it in to see if the problem follows.

postal
05-31-2012, 2:28 PM
My sig came with ?chip? mags- the kind with the "patented... with numbers" follower. They came with plastic base pads- 2 of them broke within a month or 2 just shooting from a bench- not actually dropping them to the ground!!!

They work and feed fine, but those included base pads are even less reliable than some no name chinese import junk.

I just got my brownells package today with Ed Brown 6 pack of screw on base pads, but those factory mags already have holes drilled in them (in the same location as the ed brown basepads) but the hole is too big for the screws included in the ed brown pads...

I did buy some chip 8 round powermags, which are different from the factory mags. they work fine in my sig, and the baseplate is not predrilled.

I just cant see spending that much for 47d's. I can get 2 colt ss mags for a hair more than 1 47d....

I havent tried them yet, but kimber branded mags go on sale frequently at a very good price.

edit--- sig factory mags are checkmate. Apparently, so are the kimber mags.

greybeard
05-31-2012, 3:03 PM
Wilson, Chip and I am weird, I like ACT mags.

AlliedArmory
06-01-2012, 4:01 AM
I have run a few different and they ALL performed well.

CMC
Wilson Combat
KimPro
Tripp

SoCalSig1911
06-01-2012, 11:18 AM
I have a Sig 1911 GSR and i have tried Chip mags, I have one OEM, and then some crap i picked up that had no name and didn't work at all.. The other day i was at Turners and was looking at the ISSC M22 and saw that they had Wilson Combat #500 Elite ETM mags so i bought 2 of them for about $80 and let me tell you i will never use any other mags again! They load smoother and easier than my other mags with no lubrication other than whatever they came with from the factory and they load into the frame with 10x less effort than the other mags. I am sure other mags work fine but try an Elite ETM and you will end up with more than one down the road..

Echidin
06-01-2012, 12:40 PM
I also use wilson combat magazines with my sig1911.