PDA

View Full Version : Savage .308 vs. Remmy 700

Fractured
05-30-2012, 8:15 PM
If you had enough $$$ for either one, what would you pick?

I have saved up a decent amount of money and want a bolt action .308, but don't know if I should go with the Remington 700 (sps tac. most likley) and have no money for decent glass (right now), or get a savage (axis) and get a decent scope.

I do have a cheap scope I can throw on for the time being.

It will be my first "long range" and "bolt action" so I want to start at 100yds and work my way up. I also like to upgrade my rigs.

I found threads on other sites about these bolties but I want your guys opinion.

Thanks.

Ps what is the going rate for a Remington 700 tactical?

Bhobbs
05-30-2012, 8:21 PM
Both should do fine but I'm partial to 700s. I would wait and get some good glass though.

G60
05-30-2012, 8:40 PM
If you had enough $$$ for either one, what would you pick?

I hate to do this, but...Winchester model 70.

Calplinker
05-30-2012, 8:42 PM
A few months ago I was faced with the same decision.

After looking at them side by side, trying out the triggers, considering actions, barrels, lengths, etc., I chose a Savage.

For abut $800 or so, I picked up a new 10FCP-K, which was less expensive than a 5R. Why the Savage?

Fluted barrel
Threaded muzzle with brake
Accutrigger (1.5 pounds stock and adjustable)
Accustock (Free float, so I see no reason to replace it)

Last, but not least was the DBM or detachable box magazine, which is standard on the Savage.

I topped it with a SS, 5-20, HD, FFP scope and it shoots under 1", five shot groups at 100 yards with factory, match grade ammo.

Having said that, it really won't matter which one you choose as either will be a quality rifle and capable of more than either of us can likely offer. :rolleyes:

http://i1210.photobucket.com/albums/cc417/IEShooter/Savage%2010FCPK%20308/20120319_0895.jpg

9mill
05-30-2012, 8:52 PM
I read the axis can't be built up, because the a lug is in the stock.

ExtremeX
05-30-2012, 9:11 PM
The two rifles you are looking at are pretty different. I don't want to say apples and oranges but it kind of is in the bolt gun arena.

The Savage Axis is an entry level hunting rifle... I don't remember seeing any heavy barrel target models in the Axis line. Probably on par with the Ruger American but I cant say for sure. If you are looking for a rifle of this style (hunting) and don't plan on making and modifications to it, my recommendation is the Tikka T3 Lite, its a lot nicer and very accurate but its still a hunting rifle.

The R700 SPS Tactical is a heavy barreled target rifle. They do make a SPS hunting model as well.

I think the Savage Axis would fall short of what you are look for... a target rifle. The R700 SPS Tac would be a much better pick.

The Savage 10FCP-K was also one I was looking at and considered for a really long time. I think I would have purchased it over the R700 SPS Tac but I found one used for a good deal, so I went with it. The Savage 10FCP-K seems like a better built rifle out of the box with more bells and whistles, but its also reflected in the price. The R700 has lots of potential since its after market options are vast, but out of the box it should still be an excellent performer. If you have no intention of making any upgrades I would lean towards the 10FCP-K, but if you want to upgrade and grow your rifle as you learn, the R700 would be my pick.

Fractured
05-30-2012, 9:39 PM
The two rifles you are looking at are pretty different. I don't want to say apples and oranges but it kind of is in the bolt gun arena.

The Savage Axis is an entry level hunting rifle... I don't remember seeing any heavy barrel target models in the Axis line. Probably on par with the Ruger American but I cant say for sure. If you are looking for a rifle of this style (hunting) and don't plan on making and modifications to it, my recommendation is the Tikka T3 Lite, its a lot nicer and very accurate but its still a hunting rifle.

The R700 SPS Tactical is a heavy barreled target rifle. They do make a SPS hunting model as well.

I think the Savage Axis would fall short of what you are look for... a target rifle. The R700 SPS Tac would be a much better pick.

The Savage 10FCP-K was also one I was looking at and considered for a really long time. I think I would have purchased it over the R700 SPS Tac but I found one used for a good deal, so I went with it. The Savage 10FCP-K seems like a better built rifle out of the box with more bells and whistles, but its also reflected in the price. The R700 has lots of potential since its after market options are vast, but out of the box it should still be an excellent performer. If you have no intention of making any upgrades I would lean towards the 10FCP-K, but if you want to upgrade and grow your rifle as you learn, the R700 would be my pick.

Excellent post. Thank you.

Thank you to all the posters.

I do not hunt. It will be for target shooting only. I also do want to upgrade it in the future, so it looks like a need to wait to see if i can dig up a deal on a 700. I will still look at a savage though, just to be sure. I am also curious to hear others opinions.

ubet
05-30-2012, 10:12 PM
I owned a savage 12bvss and own a remmy 5r. IF you want to gut the stock and trigger, get the savage. I am sorry, but the accutrigger feels like junk to me. The best part about it is when you smash it with a hammer so you never have to think about it again.

That being said, they are both going to shoot good. If you cant afford a 5r or one of the bat savages, I would get the savage. In the future burn the stock, crush the trigger and put a mcmillan on there with a rifle basix trigger and you would be good to go.

The remmy is easier to upgrade for though. But I think savage uses better barrels.

Stoopy
05-30-2012, 10:26 PM
If you just want to go out and shoot targets without any pressure get either. If you eventually want to do a match I would get the 700. If you want to upgrade things later like barrels, stocks, triggers and bottom metal get the 700. So many options for the Remington.

ExtremeX
05-30-2012, 10:32 PM
I personally found the stock Savage Accutrigger to be more to my liking than the Remmy 700.. They both have room for improvement but I personally thought the Savage was a little cleaner on the break. The best thing you can do OP as a consumer is actually go to the stores and check it out for yourself. You may or may not find one or the other to your liking. Most people who become serious shooter end up upgrading all these components anyways. IF thats part of your game plan, its pretty hard to not look at the R700.

Also to touch on the topic of optics since you also mentioned that...

Do your research, and figure out what you want... there is plenty to read on the forums about this already.

Ill tell you whats important to me as a target shooter... These are minimum features I look for in a scope.
Reliable tracking
Matching reticle/turrets
Parallax adjustment
Raised turrrets, not a capped hold over type scope

Once you ask for good glass, FFP reticle, durability + increased tracking performance and other bells and whistles the price starts to sky rocket.

If you want a recommendation from a budget standpoint that meets those minimum recommendations... about $300 bucks get you...
SWFA SS Fixed 10x or 16x
Variable zoom - Millet TRS-1
and if you are really on a budget...
Bushnell Elite 3200 fixed 10x (no parallax adjustment)

Im sure there are more options but Ive used the above scopes.

Stoopy
05-30-2012, 11:20 PM
I usually go with the old rule spend about the same on the scope as you do the gun. $500 gun $500 scope. Sometimes you can find a deal on a used scope, but higher end scopes hold their value pretty well.

ruggedjackal357
05-31-2012, 12:29 AM
Dont get an Axis...if you havent felt a savage axis .308 in your hands, let me tell you it feels really cheap. go with a remington 700, not the 770...or if you have money a sako a7, or tikka t3

m98
05-31-2012, 3:39 AM
700 ftw....aftermarket and custom work. Imo, i hate how the savage bolt. Great factory rifle but is limited. 700's are kings in the custom match shootin arena.

Army
05-31-2012, 7:52 AM
You will spend a lot of money upgrading the 700, to make it shoot as good as the Savage does out of the box :)

There are plenty of logical upgrades for Savage; triggers, stocks, barrels etc.

Budd
05-31-2012, 8:01 AM
There is also a lot of aftermarket support for the savage now. sharp shooter supply is one of them. I have the Savage 10 FCP with the HS Precision stock. I like the accutrigger myself - pull the accutrigger back to get it flush with your trigger finger - breath - and squeeze off a really crisp trigger.

The Savage also comes with a button rifled barrel - not a hammered barrel like the Remy. Plus the twist rate is higher on the Savages (1:10 vs the remy 1:12 IIRC) There are lots of tips and tricks to smooth the action if you feel the need on youtube for the Savage.

I would not get the Savage with a basic Savage stock - they are junk - the HS Precision is a factory option.

I was on a budget for a scope when I got mine and went with the SWFA SS fixed 10x - mil dot reticle. It has held up great to my handloads with 175gr Berger VLD's and takes me out past 600 yards with no problem. Very accurate.

If I could afford a Nightforce or US Optics right now - don't know if I would upgrade for my needs - as I shoot at Angeles mostly and the steel targets only go out to 600 yards - and the small pig at that range is an easy target with this combo if you do your job.

I got mine many years ago and it does not have the threaded barrel - hence no brake for me - thought about it a few times to get it threaded - but haven't yet.

If you want to end up with a full custom gun - just buy a R700 action and build it from there - otherwise you are wasting money on the rest of the Remy package.

FMJBT
05-31-2012, 11:36 AM
I own both a Savage (10FP McMillan) and a Remington (700 Sendero), both are decent rifles, but they have some shortcomings that are kind of annoying. The extractors on both rifles are pretty much junk. The Remington extractor in particular will give you a lot of problems if you reload and only neck size your brass. The bolt handle on the Remington is also prone to popping off if you have to use a lot of force to get it open (Like after using neck sized brass for instance) because it is only soldered onto the bolt body. The Savage has a stronger bolt handle design, but it's bolt travel is not as smooth as the Remingtons.

My pick for a budget oriented precision rifle would be the Howa 1500 Varmint. The Howa action is extremely well made and cycles as smoothly as the Remington, maybe better. The extractor is styled after the M-16 extractor, and is a pretty robust design. Howa sells a detachable magazine setup with mag included for about $40, with 5 and 10 round mags available for a lot less $$$ than an AICS mag conversion. The Hogue stock that the Howa comes with is not the best, but will work until you are ready to upgrade and has decent ergonomics. Bell & Carlson and several other manufacturers make aftermarket stocks for the Howa that will help improve accuracy.

ExtremeXbrought up some good points concerning optics. Matching reticle and turrets really helps a lot once you get out past 300 yards. Most of the big scope manufacturers are finally starting to get their heads on right, and are producing scopes with matching reticles and turrets now. My suggestions for budget tactical/precision scopes are these:

Bushnell 3200 series 10X40mm Mil Dot:
https://www.primaryarms.com/Bushnell_Elite_10x40_MilDot_Fixed_Power_Rifl_p/et1040.htm

Pros:
-Excellent turrets with mil based adjustments
-75 MOA (21 Mils) of internal travel (to compensate for bullet trajectory at long range)
-Proven track record of reliability
-Light weight

Cons:
-Fixed 10X magnification
-Reticle tends to reflect/flare in bright sunlight, making it hard to use in certain lighting conditions

Weaver 3-10X40mm Grand Slam Tactical scope:
http://www.midwayusa.com/product/598484/weaver-tactical-grand-slam-rifle-scope-3-10x-40mm-1-10-mil-adjustments-mil-dot-reticle-matte

Pros:
-Mil based turrets
-Variable magnification

Cons:
-Limited internal travel of 56 MOA (16 Mils)

BSA 4-14X44 FFP Tactical scope:
http://www.midwayusa.com/product/456482/bsa-tactical-mil-mil-rifle-scope-30mm-tube-4-14x-44mm-side-focus-1-10-mil-adjustments-first-focal-mrad-reticle-matte?cm_vc=S014

Pros:
-Mil based turrets
-MRAD reticle (etched glass) which offers more holdover points than standard mil dots, and the hashmarks are generally more accurate for ranging than dots.
-First Focal Plane reticle, accurate across the entire magnification range
-Side parallax adjustment (allows for the reduction or elimination of the effects of parallax to increase accuracy at various ranges)
-92 MOA (26.5 Mils) of internal travel

Cons:
-Unproven track record. It's fairly new, so the jury is still out on how reliable these will be in the long term
-Weight. These are heavily built with 30mm tubes and end up around 27 ounces (about 7-10 ounces heavier than the Bushnell or Weaver)

I've used the Bushnell 10X quite a bit, and have been trying out the BSA 4-14X on my LR-308 for a while now. As far as shooting through them goes, the BSA wins hands down. Better glass, better reticle design, and just an easier scope to look through for extended periods of time. So far it has held up to the recoil of my 308 semi auto for several hundred rounds. Tracking is still functioning well and it holds and returns to zero without issue. Only time will tell though if it will hold up to continued use.

The Bushnell, while a little less clear, has a track record of being absolutely reliable. I've run mine for about 10 years now on everything from .22 LR's up to 300 Win Mag with zero reliability issues.

I have no experience with the Weaver, but it does have some good reviews and it has the Weaver reputation (and warranty) backing it up. I personally passed it up due to it's limited internal adjustment. Dialing for long ranges, I like to have at least 75 to 80 MOA of adjustment range. With a 20 MOA base though, the Weaver should do alright out to 1000 yards on a 308.

Another set of scopes worth looking into are the SS line from SWFA. They have a decent track record, and some of the newer models coming out will be matching Mil reticles and turrets:
http://swfa.com/SWFA-SS-MRAD-Scopes-C4225.aspx

Fractured
06-03-2012, 7:20 PM
I own both a Savage (10FP McMillan) and a Remington (700 Sendero), both are decent rifles, but they have some shortcomings that are kind of annoying. The extractors on both rifles are pretty much junk. The Remington extractor in particular will give you a lot of problems if you reload and only neck size your brass. The bolt handle on the Remington is also prone to popping off if you have to use a lot of force to get it open (Like after using neck sized brass for instance) because it is only soldered onto the bolt body. The Savage has a stronger bolt handle design, but it's bolt travel is not as smooth as the Remingtons.

My pick for a budget oriented precision rifle would be the Howa 1500 Varmint. The Howa action is extremely well made and cycles as smoothly as the Remington, maybe better. The extractor is styled after the M-16 extractor, and is a pretty robust design. Howa sells a detachable magazine setup with mag included for about $40, with 5 and 10 round mags available for a lot less $$$ than an AICS mag conversion. The Hogue stock that the Howa comes with is not the best, but will work until you are ready to upgrade and has decent ergonomics. Bell & Carlson and several other manufacturers make aftermarket stocks for the Howa that will help improve accuracy.

ExtremeXbrought up some good points concerning optics. Matching reticle and turrets really helps a lot once you get out past 300 yards. Most of the big scope manufacturers are finally starting to get their heads on right, and are producing scopes with matching reticles and turrets now. My suggestions for budget tactical/precision scopes are these:

Bushnell 3200 series 10X40mm Mil Dot:
https://www.primaryarms.com/Bushnell_Elite_10x40_MilDot_Fixed_Power_Rifl_p/et1040.htm

Pros:
-Excellent turrets with mil based adjustments
-75 MOA (21 Mils) of internal travel (to compensate for bullet trajectory at long range)
-Proven track record of reliability
-Light weight

Cons:
-Fixed 10X magnification
-Reticle tends to reflect/flare in bright sunlight, making it hard to use in certain lighting conditions

Weaver 3-10X40mm Grand Slam Tactical scope:
http://www.midwayusa.com/product/598484/weaver-tactical-grand-slam-rifle-scope-3-10x-40mm-1-10-mil-adjustments-mil-dot-reticle-matte

Pros:
-Mil based turrets
-Variable magnification

Cons:
-Limited internal travel of 56 MOA (16 Mils)

BSA 4-14X44 FFP Tactical scope:
http://www.midwayusa.com/product/456482/bsa-tactical-mil-mil-rifle-scope-30mm-tube-4-14x-44mm-side-focus-1-10-mil-adjustments-first-focal-mrad-reticle-matte?cm_vc=S014

Pros:
-Mil based turrets
-MRAD reticle (etched glass) which offers more holdover points than standard mil dots, and the hashmarks are generally more accurate for ranging than dots.
-First Focal Plane reticle, accurate across the entire magnification range
-Side parallax adjustment (allows for the reduction or elimination of the effects of parallax to increase accuracy at various ranges)
-92 MOA (26.5 Mils) of internal travel

Cons:
-Unproven track record. It's fairly new, so the jury is still out on how reliable these will be in the long term
-Weight. These are heavily built with 30mm tubes and end up around 27 ounces (about 7-10 ounces heavier than the Bushnell or Weaver)

I've used the Bushnell 10X quite a bit, and have been trying out the BSA 4-14X on my LR-308 for a while now. As far as shooting through them goes, the BSA wins hands down. Better glass, better reticle design, and just an easier scope to look through for extended periods of time. So far it has held up to the recoil of my 308 semi auto for several hundred rounds. Tracking is still functioning well and it holds and returns to zero without issue. Only time will tell though if it will hold up to continued use.

The Bushnell, while a little less clear, has a track record of being absolutely reliable. I've run mine for about 10 years now on everything from .22 LR's up to 300 Win Mag with zero reliability issues.

I have no experience with the Weaver, but it does have some good reviews and it has the Weaver reputation (and warranty) backing it up. I personally passed it up due to it's limited internal adjustment. Dialing for long ranges, I like to have at least 75 to 80 MOA of adjustment range. With a 20 MOA base though, the Weaver should do alright out to 1000 yards on a 308.

Another set of scopes worth looking into are the SS line from SWFA. They have a decent track record, and some of the newer models coming out will be matching Mil reticles and turrets:
http://swfa.com/SWFA-SS-MRAD-Scopes-C4225.aspx

Thank you for your post. I will consider your advice on the scopes. I think I have decided on the remmy 700, because when I shouldered it, it just felt natural. I know I will probably never be shooting it without a rest/b-ipod, it doesn't matter. I will probably buy a decent mount for it, then throw on a crappy barska scope just to get some rounds through it while saving up for some decent glass.

norcalcyclist
06-04-2012, 7:26 AM
Just an aside - have you considered the 700 with the 5R barrel? I have one "in jail" at the moment - comes with an upgraded (H&S) stock and more accurate barrel (due to the 5R rifling).

I added the H&S magazine feed conversion and a jewel trigger. Can't wait for my glass to arrive and then finalize the ring selection.

Should be a heck of a shooter once I get the barrel lapped.

glug
06-04-2012, 7:52 AM
+1 on a 700 if you like to upgrade

As for the 5R, I looked at it when I was considering my first bolt gun, but just couldn't justify spending that much at the time, so I got a $500 SPS varmint instead. Now I've spent almost as much in upgrades on the varmint. It's been fun working on the gun myself but there is definitely part of me that wishes I'd just gone with the 5R in the first place. Stainless, jeweled bolt, 5R rifling are all nice features.

Fractured
06-04-2012, 9:15 AM
What are you paying for the 5r?

norcalcyclist
06-04-2012, 9:36 AM
Got mine for just under $1000...then added $450 for the trigger work and H&S magazine feed conversion. In jail until Friday morning....

ExtremeX
06-04-2012, 11:18 AM
I almost bought a 5R myself... but I think I would have ended up changing the barrel and stock over time anyways so I didnt want to spend that upfront.

Ive been eyeing the AICS stock and Krieger Barrels since I got my R700.

Fractured
06-04-2012, 12:21 PM
I almost bought a 5R myself... but I think I would have ended up changing the barrel and stock over time anyways so I didnt want to spend that upfront.

Ive been eyeing the AICS stock and Krieger Barrels since I got my R700.

You pose a valid point. If i am considering replacing components, i might as well get the base model

NOTABIKER
06-04-2012, 12:56 PM
because savage is not a trendy rifle folks think it is not a very good rifle. WRONG. out of the box nothing else shoots as accurate . i am buying a axis xp today in 223. this is my 3rd savage in 3 months. it will cost me 359 bucks with a Nikon scope. i will lighten up the trigger for almost nothing and that will be that. i would consider the ruger american if you could get it in 223. i think the savage would out shoot it.

darqhelmet
06-04-2012, 6:22 PM
Savage. My 10FCP K out shoots all the 700 in the same price range out of the box.

AlliedArmory
06-05-2012, 9:03 AM
If you are going to do upgrades, get the 700. Pretty easily upgraded to a .5moa rifle. Just change the stock and trigger then add some glass and good to go.

redcliff
06-05-2012, 9:52 AM
All I'll say is that I've been very happy with my 700PSS. I use a Leupold Mark IV 16x M1 scope and mounts and stock trigger and original stock. Using Federal Gold Medal Match 168gr it consistently shoots .5moa or less from a rest or prone with bipod. I see no need for further upgrades of any kind for my useage.

My rifle and scope are from the late 90's.

Doctawho
06-06-2012, 7:58 PM
I wouldn't buy a Remington 700 Tactical knowing that I have to replace the crap stock that's on there. I'd save up and do it right the first time. Go for a 700 Police or 5R or go the Savage route with the FCP models. Do you want a fixed up Civic or a BMW?

Better yet, get a Howa barreled action from Legacy Sports and get the exact stock you want and accessories you want and piece it together from there.

My suggestion is to be patient (hard I know) and check the Marketplace here while you save for what you really want. Maybe you'll come across a great deal and if not, you can just buy what you want brand new.

ExtremeX
06-06-2012, 8:16 PM
I wouldn't buy a Remington 700 Tactical knowing that I have to replace the crap stock that's on there. I'd save up and do it right the first time. Go for a 700 Police or 5R or go the Savage route with the FCP models. Do you want a fixed up Civic or a BMW?

Better yet, get a Howa barreled action from Legacy Sports and get the exact stock you want and accessories you want and piece it together from there.

My suggestion is to be patient (hard I know) and check the Marketplace here while you save for what you really want. Maybe you'll come across a great deal and if not, you can just buy what you want brand new.

I agree on the market place, used guns come and go all the time, and its where I scored the deal on my R700. Not really due to patience, but due to my own procrastination.

Im all for getting it done right the first time but it just depends on which route you really want to take... I was so close to buying the 5R or Police... but after really sitting down and thinking about it, it was only the action I was buying it for. I would have replaced the stock on the Police or 5R and ultimately the barrel. It may not need it, but its my personal prefrence in stocks which was the driving factor.

Now if your intentions are to keep the rifle stock as it came out of the box, I would agree, you can do a lot better than the SPS Tactical for not too much more money. The 5R, other versions, or looking at an alternate brand may just get you a lot more bang for the buck.

ohnozombeez
06-06-2012, 8:31 PM
I was at my local gun shop and no matter what I did, I kept going back to this rifle. Only thing I need to do is add a scope and a bipod and shoot.

A few months ago I was faced with the same decision.

After looking at them side by side, trying out the triggers, considering actions, barrels, lengths, etc., I chose a Savage.

For abut $800 or so, I picked up a new 10FCP-K, which was less expensive than a 5R. Why the Savage?

Fluted barrel
Threaded muzzle with brake
Accutrigger (1.5 pounds stock and adjustable)
Accustock (Free float, so I see no reason to replace it)

Last, but not least was the DBM or detachable box magazine, which is standard on the Savage.

I topped it with a SS, 5-20, HD, FFP scope and it shoots under 1", five shot groups at 100 yards with factory, match grade ammo.

Having said that, it really won't matter which one you choose as either will be a quality rifle and capable of more than either of us can likely offer. :rolleyes:

http://i1210.photobucket.com/albums/cc417/IEShooter/Savage%2010FCPK%20308/20120319_0895.jpg

ZX-10R
06-07-2012, 7:14 AM
I have had a chance to shoot both FC and M700 series...I like both. Remy has nod on aftermarket. Both shoot accurately but people forget we are talking sub MOA rifles and as you get lower that is on YOU. I am in same boat...I am leaning toward M700 but the savages are nice as well...Thing is I have had a Rem XR-100 and that was sub .5 MOA rifle so I hope to God which ever rifle I get, it performs the same.

68camaro
06-07-2012, 10:01 PM
Marlin x7vh out shoots my buddy's 700 sps (both .308) and mine was cheaper. The down fall is aftermarket is non existent

sin68
06-11-2012, 11:38 AM
I recently bought a .308 Savage 10FP-SR with the Bushnell 3200 elite 10x40 mil/mil, and I am pleased. Its more accurate than I can shoot, for sure. I chose the savage to learn on, later I will get a R700 in .338 Lapua to build. It shoots great, and price was okay (I paid $650+shipping+DROS)

Not saying the Remingtion isn't a great choice, I almost bought the SPS instead. Something about the savage seemed to sell me tho.

NYsteveZ
06-11-2012, 11:53 AM
http://i995.photobucket.com/albums/af72/nystevez/svg1.jpg I was in the same boat and went with the Savage. Reason-If you want a gun to tinker on and throw a bunch of money at, go with the R700. If you want one ready to go out of the box, go Savage. Either case-Remember you are going to pay as much, if not MORE for a decent scope. I am at that point right now, but every time I begin to commit, another AK or interest appears. I am even thinking of letting my Savage go to a good home in order to fund a Saiga 12 or CZ75 I am after. Oh yeah, the Savage was never fired.

MigNoche
06-11-2012, 4:04 PM
Nice thread OP, I have the same dillema myself.

Flouncer
06-11-2012, 5:27 PM
What exactly do you mean by matching reticle turrets ??

norcalcyclist
06-11-2012, 5:41 PM
Most reticles are set up with mil-dots (ie they measure milirads or 1 cm @ 100 yds), but the majority of scopes have turrets that adjust in MOA (1" @ 100 yds) increments. The result is you have to do a quick calculation in your head to convert between the 2 - or purchase a high end scope that has the reticle and turrets in the same measurement - either MOA or milirads.

xibunkrlilkidsx
06-11-2012, 10:47 PM
hate how rough the action is on my dads savage. My remington was like butter from the get go, his has improved over 500rds or so. but it is really rough.

accuray wise both are pretty close. mine has slight edge since ive got a bedded stock. But his is a hunting rifle anyways so the shorter barrel, lighter barrel, and stock dont work as well as mine does since i set it up more for long range shooting.

sin68
06-11-2012, 11:32 PM
My action has been smooth on The savage. With only 180 rounds through it too. After 80 rounds it got a llittle tacky, but a quick wipe down with a silicone cloth and it was butter again.

Flouncer
06-12-2012, 10:11 AM
Most reticles are set up with mil-dots (ie they measure milirads or 1 cm @ 100 yds), but the majority of scopes have turrets that adjust in MOA (1" @ 100 yds) increments. The result is you have to do a quick calculation in your head to convert between the 2 - or purchase a high end scope that has the reticle and turrets in the same measurement - either MOA or milirads.

Thanks for the explanation. But I disagree with the statement that most scope are set up with mil dot. It's a tacticool phenomena. I agree then with the premise that the reticle and the adjustment should be similar or compatible units.

NYsteveZ
06-12-2012, 11:42 AM
I was on the fence about selling or trading my Savage. Im not into the long range stuff, so my FCP HS Precision is listed here in the marketplace. For the owners with the "rough triggers"-Did the Savages in question have the accu-trigger?

darksands
06-12-2012, 12:59 PM
No matter what you choose, I say that the rifle will outshoot you. Pick the rifle you like the best as far as aesthetics and feel. I was also looking into the 5R and FCP-K and ended up with the 5R and it shoots sub-MOA out of the box even with a noob like me pulling the trigger. Sure it can go below .5 MOA but can I? Eventually I hope.

CobraRed
06-15-2012, 3:33 PM
I just bought a Savage 10FP-SR and a Choate Ultimate Varmint Stock. It's hard to beat the threaded barrel, accutrigger, and out of the box accuracy as many have said - not to mention its price.
Mounting my Leupold 6.5-20x50 on top and excited to see what it can touch way out yonder.

NOTABIKER
06-15-2012, 3:40 PM
10 years ago i would have picked the REM, today i would pick the SAVAGE. they have the mass produced accurate rifle down pat. Quality at a very good price.