PDA

View Full Version : Surefire Sonic Defenders? (Hearing Protection)

Danz la Nuit
05-30-2012, 8:05 PM
Considering purchasing a pair of these from Amazon based upon the recommendations I have seen in a few generic hearing protection threads...

http://www.amazon.com/Surefire-Sonic-Defender-1-Pair-Medium/dp/B004DH65RI/

Two questions:

1. Anyone else want to chime in with some feedback on these?

2. If anyone reading this thread owns a pair of these, do you know what size you have? I am not sure if I should be purchasing a medium or a large...

Amazon is stating that they are considered clothing items so they can be returned at no charge if they don't fit.

vantage
05-30-2012, 9:56 PM
I bought medium and they fit fine. The open valve seems pointless and I cant tell any practical difference from soft plugs, other than being more uncomfortable after wearing over an hour.

They're strictly backup to electronic for me, but I wasn't impressed.

Ubermcoupe
05-30-2012, 10:03 PM
I own a pair and like them. I usually wear them under my outer ear protection.

Unlike vantage, I find them fairly comfortable. I would never wear them in place of outer ears though.

EDIT: I only shoot @ outdoor ranges.

DRM6000
05-30-2012, 10:07 PM
I have a pair in large. I've never tried the mediums so I don't know the difference in fit.

I really like them. They are super comfortable and I can wear them for hours on end. They do muffle some conversation, but you can still hear decently well. They attenuate gunfire quite well. I prefer them to electronic muffs.

Do note that most of my use is outdoors and while taking classes. I don't remember using them indoors so no feedback there.

G-forceJunkie
05-30-2012, 10:14 PM
Not enough hearing protection alone, work well under muffs. For me, less comfortable than foamies after several hours.

bsim
05-30-2012, 10:18 PM
Mediums for me (6' 4" /200). Shooting competitions, they're enough when I'm off the line. Then use them under electronic muffs when shooting. Very comfortable.

cebuvfr
05-30-2012, 10:36 PM
I'd like one but not sure if it's comfortable enough to wear for hours.

FireDraGun
05-30-2012, 10:51 PM
I have the EP3 medium sized ones. They work ok for outdoors, but indoors I don't think they will work well. They aren't that comfortable and make my ears ache after a while. Foam earplugs are the most comfortable over long periods of time for me. Check out the surefire website. They have a sizing chart.

Flyin Brian
05-30-2012, 11:12 PM
I've been using them for around 2 years. I wear the large. I like using them in the silhouette matches because we are shooting prone and the electronic muffs bump into the butt of the rifle, plus I can still hear the commands from the RO/Match director. I like that they come in a case so I haven't lost them yet, unlike the foam ones which seem to disappear regularly.

aplinker
05-31-2012, 1:43 AM
Totally inappropriate for indoor use alone. I would suggest doubling up with as high a NRR as you can indoors.

Outside without cover using light rifles and handguns they're just fine alone. Not fun if someone brings a .50BMG to the line.

They are moderately comfortable. Good foam plugs are much nicer, but mute all conversation.

Really, they are designed for field training where communication with fellow shooters is imperative and electronic protection is either impractical or unavailable.

Solidux
05-31-2012, 1:44 AM
I got a box of those. Tried them once during M16 qualifications and said nope. The .25 cent foam ones work better.

aznanimekid
05-31-2012, 3:59 AM
i've used the EP4s and the peltor double-sided ones and now have a pair of EP3s and EP5s. surefire has a chart on their website that tells you the measurements corresponding to what size to buy. i found i'm a medium to large kinda guy.

performance wise i've used them indoors before alone and didnt feel any discomfort. if someone is shooting a .44 or above i might start cringing. i do recommend doubling up though as more is better, but if thats all you have it will do in a pinch. i recommend the 4s, the extra flanges do help IMO vs the EP3 double-flange.

scarville
05-31-2012, 5:30 AM
I wear the EP3 (medium) under a set of regular muffs. They are adequate for the occasional gunshot but I would never rely on them alone for a range session.

Todosi
05-31-2012, 5:55 AM
Mine work fine ( I wear smalls) for shotgun and pistol. For rifle I need to double up. I only shoot outdoors as well.

Arkangel
05-31-2012, 6:48 AM
Mine would be comfortable for about two hours. I used them both in and outdoors with no discomfort.

gmeister
05-31-2012, 11:30 AM
I have tried both the EP3 and EP4 in medium. I wanted to like these, but they didn't work well for me. I was constantly pushing and readjusting them back in my ear to maintain a proper seal and hearing protection, but they kept slipping out.

I went back to my old pair of Etymotic ER20. These are my favorite. A bit ugly, but they work really well. I can hear conversations and range commands while on the range.

unusedusername
05-31-2012, 1:00 PM
These work REALLY well on the BART because you can hear the announcements and not have orange things poking out of your ears, but still not get blasted by the trains loud squealing.

For the range, they are OK if under other ears, but they are not strong enough to work alone.

Dismal_Scientist
05-31-2012, 1:06 PM
I like them because they fit relatively flush. I find that they don't work as well at blocking noise as foamies (I use Mack's SafeSound Ultra), but they're much easier to put in / take out than foam where you have to roll them, install, and wait for them to expand.

If I'm shooting for a long period of time, I'll go with the foam ones. If I'm in a class or other situations where I'm frequently taking my earpro on/off I'll use the surefires.

Best price I've found is with Kevin of brightflashlights.com.

tacticalcity
05-31-2012, 1:51 PM
Aren't they meant to be used with a radio? Isn't that the main benefit they provide. Not something most civilians need.

sn8kedoc
05-31-2012, 1:59 PM
I use 2 pairs of em the clear one like in the link which has been used thoroughly(right one will no longer stay in had this pair for about 3 years) I got some new ones in black that come with the lanyard to hang em around your neck when not in, but for some strange reason i can hear the wind whistling through when i have them on. I have noticed that when using a rifle the one on the cheek weld side may slip out or maybe i just got a size too small or too large...They are pretty good of course on the main firing line they wont be enough but for courses or private ranges they will do fine.

AlliedArmory
06-01-2012, 3:58 AM
I agree that these are not good enough for indoor shooting. But I never have that problem as I double up indoors anyways.

I used to use the EP3 and they sort of hurt sometimes because of the cap on the valve stems.

I got a couple pairs of the EP5 at Show Show last year and they are simply awesome. Much more comfortable in the ear.

45R
06-01-2012, 8:34 AM
I've had a set for about 4 months. Running EP3 Large. They work well for a few hours but I find that I usually end up taking them out and replace them with something else under my Sordins. They are great because they go and and off easy but do no provide me with enough hearing protection when training with more then a few people on the firing line.