PDA

View Full Version : What am I missing here - Auto sear question

Intimid8tor
05-30-2012, 6:53 PM
Not sure where this belongs given it is a rifle question, but also has legal implications.

I realize in California, it is somewhat moot, but there are a lot of knowledgeable people here and its the only gun board I really hang out on.

On gunbroker there is a M16 FCG with a GI auto sear.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=289204600

No bids, no reserve and it is less than $100. Also makes no mention of NFA, form 4, etc. Obviously something is missing in this picture.

What am I missing?

ke6guj
05-30-2012, 6:57 PM
nothing is missing in that picture. A complete M16 FCG with GI auto sear is worth around $100. A GI sear is just a component, its not a Drop-In Auto Sear, so it is not an MG. No form 4 required, although some sellers won't sell to you unless you can prove you have a legal use for it (so they want to see a copy of form 4 before they will ship).

Intimid8tor
05-30-2012, 7:00 PM
So, it still needs a DIAS to function in full auto, correct?

ke6guj
05-30-2012, 7:05 PM
in an semi-auto receiver, yes, you still need a DIAS, and it needs to be a Registered DIAS (which will be $10K+) to be legal.

But for a full-auto receiver, which is already an MG, you use the GI sear.

Intimid8tor
05-30-2012, 7:16 PM
in an semi-auto receiver, yes, you still need a DIAS, and it needs to be a Registered DIAS (which will be $10K+) to be legal.

But for a full-auto receiver, which is already an MG, you use the GI sear.

So take these parts, add in a full auto BCG and do additional machining to the lower and one could convert a semi auto receiver to a functional full auto receiver, get caught, spend 10 years in jail and pay a 250K fine?

For those that are concerned. no I am not thinking about doing it, I am trying to learn some of the nuances of the different fire control groups. I would love to be able to afford a legal registered DIAS, but I doubt I will have the opportunity.

freonr22
05-30-2012, 7:23 PM
Gi sear or Dias. Dont do the crime if u can't do the time.

Intimid8tor
05-30-2012, 7:26 PM
Gi sear or Dias. Dont do the crime if u can't do the time.

I sure as hell can't do the time. I'm having too much fun in the free world to risk it to be able to spend more on ammo. I spend enough already. A registered DIAS would be cool, but not until a lot of other things are accomplished.