PDA

View Full Version : 1911 compensator

mackspalding
05-30-2012, 5:55 PM
what do you think about compensators for 1911s? Drop in or fitted? I know they aren't very necessary but they look pretty cool.

mackspalding
05-30-2012, 6:14 PM
http://shopwilsoncombat.com/images/397s-001.jpg

mackspalding
05-30-2012, 6:15 PM
Its just a drop in with minor fitting.

mackspalding
05-30-2012, 6:15 PM
sorry. its a wilson combat comp

walmart_ar15
05-30-2012, 7:01 PM
If just going for the look, why not... But if interested in reducing recoil, muzzle flip etc, then it may under perform.

For a bushing type compensator, the barrel will have to travel through the compensator during recoil, so fairly large "gap" at the muzzle end to effectively redirect gas, hence less efficient as a compensator.

It does add weight to your slide, so there maybe some reduction in perceived recoil. However, it may also slow down the slide cycling. Depending on how everything else is fitted, it may contribute to reliability problems without some minor tuning after installation.

TKM
05-30-2012, 7:42 PM
It's a fairly low pressure round. You aren't going to get a lot of compensation.

ExtremeX
05-30-2012, 7:47 PM
just curious... how much is that thing? Link?

hammerhands32
05-30-2012, 7:51 PM
$70.00
http://www.midwayusa.com/product/683924/wilson-combat-multi-comp-compensator-1911-government-blue

Press Check
05-30-2012, 8:53 PM
Bushing compensators are essentially non-functional, and simply pale in comparasin to the performance of an integral compensator, which can be designed an tuned to the load you intend to shoot on a competative or recreational level.

An integral compensator has a chamber that collects the gases and vents the gas via the ports, whereas a bushing compensator will generally have nothing more than ports, so at the end of the day, you don't have much more than a part on the end of your pistol that is deflecting gas into your face, and is significantly louder. As it stands, the typical .45 load will not generate enough gas volume / pressure for an integral compensator to be effective. You need high velocity, light bullets with slow powders.

If you insist, at minimum, have the bushing fitted since it is responsible for the bulk of accuracy.

Mr. Gillious
05-30-2012, 9:02 PM
i used the one of those bushing compensators on my 1911 and it kinda worked in reducing muzzle rise. then again maybe it was because of the weight. I used the EFK firedragon one.

I don't really recommend it though because it makes like a 1/2 inch of the tip of your barrel really dirty.

i feel like i'm better off with a high thumbs forward grip than the bushing comp.

InGrAM
05-30-2012, 11:49 PM
I have a compensated barrel for my Essexs custom build 1911. It reduces recoil quite a bit. I would go compensated barrel if I was to do it and I was you.