PDA

View Full Version : Buying Online

giantsfan
05-30-2012, 2:34 PM
Has anyone ever purchased a firearm online? Do they charge tax or does the FFL charge tax when it's received?

I've been looking for a G19 and having a hard time finding one. Online price and what I can get here locally, if they had them in stock, are the same at $499 new.

Any advice would be appreciated

straykiller
05-30-2012, 2:37 PM
I bought my p226 off of a gunshop on gunbroker and if i recall orrectly i didnt get charged tax becuse they were out of state. Ill look back through my emails and try to find my invoice to make sure.

EDIT: no i was not charged tax

jpm804
05-30-2012, 2:38 PM
If the seller is out of state then sales tax will not be collected. The receiving FFL with then be in charge of collecting sales tax. They will probably charge a transfer fee on top of receiving the item.

If the seller in in CA, then they will charge you sales tax and the receiving FFL will not need to collect sales tax. You just have to show proof sales tax was collected.

daybreak
05-30-2012, 2:51 PM
I recently bought from grabagun.com and they did not charge me sales tax. I haven't started the DROS yet but the ffl here in CA is responsible for collecting the tax on the gun from what I understand.

GunHo
05-30-2012, 2:53 PM
From what I understand, the only way to avoid sales tax is the purchase from an out-of-state private party. Anything beyond that will require sales tax; meaning, whether it is purchased in or out of California, the FFL will collect sales tax.