PDA

View Full Version : AK advice buy WASR or M10AK

deckhandmike
05-30-2012, 1:44 PM
Trying to figure out what to get for my AK purchase. For starters I don't want to save and get an Arsenal nor do I want to do a Saiga build since I live in SLO county and there is never any build parties around here and I don't want to drive 4 hours to LA or SF. As far as looks go I don't care either way. I'm looking at Henderson defense and going back and forth between the two. Any advice is appreciated. From what I understand the M10 is just a new WASR with would make sense to buy since it's new parts vs used.

dbo31
05-30-2012, 2:11 PM
I have an M10 and love it. Have run every type of ammo through it and it eats it all up like an AK should. I know people with WASR's and its the same thing. So I guess you just have to ask yourself what you want in a rifle. I'd also look at the under folder route..love that one more than my m10

joe_gman
05-30-2012, 2:27 PM
I own a WASR 10/63 and find it to meet all the basic criteria that are essential in an AK. Mainly, when I pull the trigger with a round in the chamber it fires. Have not had any feeding issues and other than a little mag wobble, it is a great shooter. I prefer the longer sight radius of the WASR to the M10 and I like wood furniture as opposed to plastic. With AKs there is no reason to be a snob unless you are looking to resell it later.

deckhandmike
05-30-2012, 2:57 PM
Are the WASR same receiver and parts as the M10? That's kind of what I understood except that the m10 has an upgraded gas block/front sight.

chead
05-30-2012, 3:01 PM
I assume so, it's a Romanian no-mag-dimple receiver. I can't think of any reason they would have changed it up.

deckhandmike
05-30-2012, 3:03 PM
Any glaring negatives for the m10 that I'm missing besides the shorter sight radius and non traditional ak look. Don't care about resale value.

joe_gman
05-30-2012, 3:08 PM
The M10 is a WASR with upgraded furniture, the sight on the gas block and a compensator on the barrel.

joe_gman
05-30-2012, 3:09 PM
No real negatives. Just an updated look to make it more tacticool and less traditional. It all comes down to personal preference.

zfields
05-30-2012, 3:11 PM
Any glaring negatives for the m10 that I'm missing besides the shorter sight radius and non traditional ak look. Don't care about resale value.

Just dump the tapco tuning fork muzzle brake.

NYsteveZ
05-30-2012, 3:17 PM
I seen an M10 a few weeks ago-Beautiful gun, but Im not a tacti-cool guy with AKs. As far as quality, it was really nice-no mag wobble, straight sites...All comes down to personal preference. BTW-anyone ever swap the tacti-stuff for wood?

joe_gman
05-30-2012, 3:26 PM
I seen an M10 a few weeks ago-Beautiful gun, but Im not a tacti-cool guy with AKs. As far as quality, it was really nice-no mag wobble, straight sites...All comes down to personal preference. BTW-anyone ever swap the tacti-stuff for wood?

Isn't that like buying a new car with the premier package and then taking out the remote start, power windows, highend stereo, 18" rims and replacing them with roll up windows, am radio, and 14" rims?

dbo31
05-30-2012, 3:27 PM

The sight radius thing has never been an issue..i actually prefer the RPK style front sight over the traditional..I have an AK with wood..very traditional and one with the rails and tacticool stuff so you'll have to ask yourself what you really want..AK's are addictive anyway. You'll get another in under a year i'd bet.

MrPlink
05-30-2012, 3:38 PM
Same gun, just dressed up differently.

dodger fever
05-30-2012, 3:41 PM
I have an M10 and love it. Have run every type of ammo through it and it eats it all up like an AK should. I know people with WASR's and its the same thing. So I guess you just have to ask yourself what you want in a rifle. I'd also look at the under folder route..love that one more than my m10

I have an m10 also and love it, for the price you cant go wrong. Hogue pistol grip is great and comes with a quad rail, I think it would be cheaper to buy wood furniture for it if you wanted a more traditional look rather than buying a regular wasr and making it tacticool;)

Richard Erichsen
05-30-2012, 5:21 PM
i actually prefer the RPK style front sight over the traditional

The RPK uses the same sights as a typical AK, I think you meant AK105, which is one of the more common shorted AKs a combo gas block/front sight base.

R

858casper858
05-30-2012, 5:30 PM
Isn't that like buying a new car with the premier package and then taking out the remote start, power windows, highend stereo, 18" rims and replacing them with roll up windows, am radio, and 14" rims?

Nah... It's more like buying a classic car that someone put in satellite radio, tv in the headrests, big sub woofers, and some crazy paint job then stripping it down and restoring it to its original glory. Like it was meant to be. :)

Richard Erichsen
05-30-2012, 5:57 PM
Except that firearms are tools, not fashion statements, or at least I didn't think they were. ;)

R

yuccales
05-30-2012, 6:11 PM
Both of them are fine. Don't forget to post a pic when you get one.

AngelZ3R0
05-30-2012, 6:15 PM
Saiga is very easy no build party necessary.

ZX-10R
05-30-2012, 6:22 PM
I may be in SLOSA (that is where I shoot) to shoot in Mid June...I have a few AK patterns you are more than welcome to shoot...Just bring ammo. I have an AES-10, WASRs, Polish UF, etc. PM...Next two weekends are booked with grad parties and such...Mid June though I should be free.

deckhandmike
05-30-2012, 10:48 PM
ZX that's a sweet offer but judging by the second fire in two years at slosa they might be a little stricter about the ammo than the past. Hopefully I'll have an AK by then but I'm down to go do a group shoot any day. I'm sure it's not the last AK i'm going to own. I'm already over the AR. And for the person who says saiga is easy I have no tools and an ever worse working relation with them. What can I say, raised by a single mother who didn't do AK builds.

ZX-10R
05-31-2012, 7:09 AM
ZX that's a sweet offer but judging by the second fire in two years at slosa they might be a little stricter about the ammo than the past. Hopefully I'll have an AK by then but I'm down to go do a group shoot any day. I'm sure it's not the last AK i'm going to own. I'm already over the AR. And for the person who says saiga is easy I have no tools and an ever worse working relation with them. What can I say, raised by a single mother who didn't do AK builds.

Last time I was at SLOSA it was about a month ago...I drove by it last week for a meeting with APEX Tactical (they are now my customer - I also dropped off my M&P 45 for their level 4 trigger job) and it looked AOK. I know most of the range masters and have no issues shooting my milsurp ammo. Was there a fire recently? Jeez...Regardless, hit me up every Friday to see if I will be up there. I have no worries letting anyone shoot my rifles as long as they bring ammo...Heck I will give you some if need be.

Yeah, converting a Saiga...Easy compared to taking apart a motorcycle engine and putting it back together...That is hard.:cool: I would get an M10 and they get pretty rave reviews on AKFILES. WASRs have also been acknowledge to have had their QC improved dramatically...I have not had any issues with any of my CA bought ones nor my WA bought one in the past. There are other AK patterns out there but you will pay a premium.

Skip the bias chatter here...Do more research and like I said you will learn a lot from other sites as well.

dbo31
05-31-2012, 7:25 AM
Also I would look at customer service reviews of each company..Colorado Guns(M10) gets pretty good reviews and they are pretty responsive..Century wellllll it varies I hear..something to look at on the off chance you get a lemon from either company.