PDA

View Full Version : Anyone got a LaRue?

Rexxss98
05-30-2012, 11:38 AM
Sup Guys

I've been shopping around for a complete AR and so far I keep coming back to the 16" LaRue PredatAR. I was wondering if any of u guys have a LaRue currently and if there's anything not to like. I called them yesterday and the wait time is 13-16 weeks. I was originally going to go with a Noveske but they are just freaking too expensive. Thanks!

*Update*
Thanks for all your input guys! I dropped by City Arms today and they had the Noveske in stock that I wanted for a really long time. I just hope I don't have buyers remorse. I'll be sure to post a review when it gets out of jail and when I put in some trigger time :rolleyes:

Josh3239
05-30-2012, 1:16 PM
Too expensive IMO. Last I heard Mark LaRue said he doesn't HPT or MPI his bolts because they are unnecessary (his forum at ARF is a regular CA-smack talking forum). Not sure if that has changed, if not you have to consider how important that is to you. I think they are overrated. What can his uppers do that a less expensive DPMS upper cannot do? DPMS uppers can certainly shoot MOA.

TreeHugger
05-30-2012, 3:04 PM
With the LT rifle, aside from the match barrel, if fit and finish is important to you, than that's a plus. Young Manufacturing do not HPT MPI there chrome bolt either. Like someone told me, HPT and MPI is an extra assurance, that's it and that's all.

I had a slight issue with my LT OBR 16", sent the upper back and initially they told me that it will take about two weeks for the turnaround time. Low and behold, they turned it around within a day, now that's GREAT customer service. I also have a DPMS and had a Bushmaster and my LT OBR out shoots them easily, the fit and finish on the DPMS and Bushmaster is no comparison. Even DPMS state that their rifle shoots 1.5 MOA, while the LT shoots sub MOA, my test target that came with the rifle is .75 MOA.

Personally, I am not fond of the pencil barrel PredatAR, I prefer the heavy barrel like the OBR.

Some may say the LT or certain other higher end brands are overpriced, but for me, I felt that money was well spent, but that's just me. I got lucky, where a local dealer had one last one in stock, so I did not have to wait the 4 months. However, I'm on a long wait for the LT PredatOBR 7.62 16", which is not even in actual production yet, by the time I get it, may be too late for the end of the Mayan calendar :)

HK Dave
05-30-2012, 3:21 PM
My Larue PredatAR shoots sub 1/2 moa with match ammo. The fit and finish is the best i've EVER seen on an AR and I've owned quite a few of them.

I've never shot it quickly so don't know how much the groups open up after the barrel heats up.

I think it was money well spent. It's the only AR outside of my precision bench rig that I've ever been completely happy with.

Now if only they'd ship me my 7.62 OBR already.

While I'm not a big fan of pencil barrels.. it fits this rifle specifically.. if i was going to go with a normal profile barrel on a Larue... i'd get an OBR in 5.56... i think the PredatOBR is pointless personally.

HK Dave
05-30-2012, 3:25 PM
My mistake.. i forgot that the new PredatOBR has an adjustable gas block... don't recall if the OBR does... in a free state this would be a worthwhile upgrade.

Rexxss98
05-30-2012, 3:31 PM
I currently have a AR that's a standard carbine version. I thought I'd get something a little different + upgrade in terms fit, finish, and quality. I'm wondering why u guys dislike pencil thin barrels? I've never fired one but after playing around with them at the shops, they seem really light and balanced.

SmokinAces
05-30-2012, 3:41 PM
Have an 18" Stealth Its my Favorite, Absolutely Love it has never failed me.

tacticalcity
05-30-2012, 4:45 PM
I have lots of individual Larue parts. All have been very well made. Big fan of the free dry rub they include with every order as well. ;)

ExtremeX
05-30-2012, 5:04 PM
mmmm Dillow Dust.

Most of the Larue products I own are really just the mounts.

For my money, and for the sake of being able to get exactly what I want. I just opt to build my own, every time.

TreeHugger
05-30-2012, 7:17 PM
My mistake.. i forgot that the new PredatOBR has an adjustable gas block... don't recall if the OBR does... in a free state this would be a worthwhile upgrade.

The OBR has it too.

TreeHugger
05-30-2012, 7:33 PM
i'd get an OBR in 5.56... i think the PredatOBR is pointless personally.

in the 5.56, the PredatOBR is actually heavier than the OBR with same length barrel, I think partially that has to do with the longer handguard, hence I got the OBR instead.

For the 7.62, the PredatOBR is going to be lighter than the OBR, hence I went with the PredatOBR for this caliber. But, since the PredatOBR is still not in production yet, if I change to the OBR and will get it much faster, I just may.

Once the pencil barrel heats up enough, it will open up to about 1.5 MOA.

G60
05-30-2012, 8:47 PM
T What can his uppers do that a less expensive DPMS upper cannot do?

:rofl:

Waldo
05-30-2012, 8:49 PM
Running a 7.62 OBR with an 18" barrel.

No complaints so far after close to 3000 rounds...

jamman
05-30-2012, 8:50 PM
I ordered a Predatar 556 in 16" last December. It shipped a few days ago so I should get it tomorrow (~6 months on order). I'll let you know if it was worth the wait.

Knife Edge
05-31-2012, 4:40 AM
OBR 18", most accurate, best fit and finish of any rifle I own. If I had to pick one to live with, it would be the Larue.

Omega13device
05-31-2012, 9:30 AM
You would not go wrong buying LaRue, but in 5.56 there are many, many options for high quality, precision uppers if you just want a rifle that shoots good groups.

In 7.62 there are fewer options so LaRue is an easier choice, but still they're not the only game in town.

PolishMike
05-31-2012, 9:39 AM
I love my 5.56 Predatar.

Lead time right now is 16-20 weeks and they are hitting on the long end of that. (We have 20 or so rifles on order)

TreeHugger
05-31-2012, 3:22 PM
Lead time right now is 16-20 weeks and they are hitting on the long end of that. (We have 20 or so rifles on order)

Damn it, they need to get more CNC machines, I want my PredatOBR 7.62 asap :) Otherwise, I'll just ordered a nice bolt instead, tired of waiting :(

TreeHugger
05-31-2012, 3:26 PM
OBR 18", most accurate, best fit and finish of any rifle I own. If I had to pick one to live with, it would be the Larue.

What about if a .50 cent part breaks on it and makes it completely useless, I'm just saying...........

Rexxss98
05-31-2012, 5:07 PM
Thanks for all the responses guys! I dropped into my local store today and they had the Noveske that has been on my wish list since last year. I made a mistake previously of waiting around and those things fly off the shelves like crazy. Anyway, I will be eating mac + cheese and ramen noodles for a few weeks......

Harley
05-31-2012, 5:19 PM
http://i1217.photobucket.com/albums/dd395/chaiseharley/DSC_5656.jpg

cwin
05-31-2012, 9:48 PM
Congrats on the Noveske! I don't think buyer's remorse will be an issue =)

Josh3239
05-31-2012, 10:39 PM
:rofl:

No what's really funny is the LaRue kool-aid. Lets forget about how much him and his little forum hate on CA, not to mention the guy for years refused to ship anything here and only recently changed his mind to jump on the money train. I'll ask again and we'll see if your brave enough to answer, what can his uppers do that DPMS's cannot? DPMS Mark 12s regularly shoot sub moa, DPMS Mini SASS regularly shoot sub-MOA, DPMS SS bull barrels between 16''-24'' regularly shoot sub-MOA. Seriously, what's special about it? Any joe can find and install a Giessele trigger, modular handguard, billet lower, and MOE stock on his AR. Even his mounts... they are solid and hold zero, just like any other high quality AR mount out there. BFD.

ptgarcia
06-01-2012, 10:53 AM
No what's really funny is the LaRue kool-aid. Lets forget about how much him and his little forum hate on CA, not to mention the guy for years refused to ship anything here and only recently changed his mind to jump on the money train. I'll ask again and we'll see if your brave enough to answer, what can his uppers do that DPMS's cannot? DPMS Mark 12s regularly shoot sub moa, DPMS Mini SASS regularly shoot sub-MOA, DPMS SS bull barrels between 16''-24'' regularly shoot sub-MOA. Seriously, what's special about it? Any joe can find and install a Giessele trigger, modular handguard, billet lower, and MOE stock on his AR. Even his mounts... they are solid and hold zero, just like any other high quality AR mount out there. BFD.

I'd like to hear his answer, also. So many here will tell you Colt, BCM, LaRue, etc. are so much better than DPMS, Del-ton, etc., and it may be true, but I have yet to see a single person attempt to make an educated argument as to why. :rolleyes:

G60
06-01-2012, 10:58 AM
No what's really funny is the LaRue kool-aid. Lets forget about how much him and his little forum hate on CA, not to mention the guy for years refused to ship anything here and only recently changed his mind to jump on the money train.

Just the first of Mark's yearly contributions.
What has Doesn't P*** Military Spec done for us? It's more than just "they build a bunch of crap but one or two of their products shoots sub-moa guise!"
http://i265.photobucket.com/albums/ii210/LaRueTactical/CalgunsFoundation.jpg

Oh, here you go, enjoy:
http://www.nashvillescene.com/imager/eat-crow-watch-the-titans-pluck-the-ravens-saturday-at-the-belcourt/b/original/1481970/941a/EatCrow.jpg

SFCRoOKs
06-02-2012, 5:56 PM
What model Noveske did you get? Chances are you won't regret it top notch stuff

Rexxss98
06-07-2012, 2:25 PM
I got a Noveske Infidel 13.7 with the Piggy. I remember people saying that it was really heavy. After holding it in my hands for a good 10 minutes IMHO I found that the rifle was well balanced and basically had everything that I wanted and more. I'll admit it....the thing looks totally bad***** and the tacticool look was also a deciding factor. Anyway I'm really happy and I'll post some pics as soon as it gets out of jail.

Nate
06-07-2012, 11:07 PM

I think you answered you own question.

"they are solid and hold zero, just like any other high quality AR mount out there."

Some people(not all) would rather buy the quality AR that Is solid and holds zero!

Nice choice on the Noveske!

NSR500
06-08-2012, 3:46 AM
From personal experience...

DPMS sucks compared to LaRue. LaRue has better customer service, better products, and higher quality.
I just spent the better half of a month trying to get an out of spec DPMS 308 BCG replaced by DPMS.
With LaRue on the off chance they sent a bad part, it would have only taken one phone call or email.
With all the gear I've worked on I can say that DPMS is consumer grade. Many other manufacturers like LaRue are more Professional grade.