PDA

View Full Version : Mayor of San Diego

TACTICAL SYSTEMS
05-30-2012, 11:26 AM
Any suggestions on which candidates running for mayor of San Diego
are Pro second amendment ??

RazzB7
05-30-2012, 11:36 AM
Of the two front runners, Dumanis and DiMaio..Neither. One is the current DA and the other is very liberal in most of his views.

My personal opinion about Dumanis is that she should be slapped daily for what she did to Cynthia Sommer, the innocent wife of a Marine who died. She knew the forensic evidence against her was tainted and hid that fact. When the courts overturned her conviction after she had been imprisoned for over 2 years, Dumanis said "Justice has been served." Really? What about this young woman's ruined life?

NoJoke
05-30-2012, 1:00 PM
Glad this post was made, was wondering the same question myself.

Any word on who to vote for in Oceanside?
http://www.gtinewsphoto.com/WoodConspiracy.html

FalconLair
05-30-2012, 1:04 PM
Any suggestions on which candidates running for mayor of San Diego
are Pro second amendment ??

i have a question TACTICAL, would you vote for a candidate based solely on their standing as a pro 2A candidate or would any of their other views factor into your decision to vote for them?

What if there was a perfectly logical candidate, who just happened to also be anti-gun, if thats actually possible lol, meaning what if this person has some really sound ideas for shoring up the economic mess, balancing a budget, getting people to work, helping small business stay afloat, keeping your taxes down, straightening out the schools, BUT, wasn't willing to work at getting your 2A rights restored because he/she was basically anti-gun anyway??? How would you vote?? How would any of you vote?? Is it all coming down to who will give you your guns now??

Or we could swing the pendulum the other way, what if there was a candidate who couldn't hit water if he fell out of a boat when it comes getting things done, he'd put your city in an economic freefall, run up a huge deficit, cause loss of jobs and business BUT he'd fight like hell to get you your gun rights restored, which way do you go???

It would be nice to have the best of both worlds, but where would your loyalty lie when faced with that kind of decision? Don't misunderstand me, I fully understand 2A rights is no small issue, your constitutional right is at stake, but, with all the other issues this state, this country, is faced with, which would you be willing to sacrifice, for now, which road would you choose?? :43:

FamilyofShooters
05-30-2012, 1:05 PM
From what I've read in the UT, I don't believe any of them are pro 2nd. Amendment. Jerry Saunders was as about as close as we're going to get due to his LE background.

NoJoke
05-30-2012, 1:09 PM
, would you vote for a candidate based solely on their standing as a pro 2A candidate or would any of their other views factor into your decision to vote for them?:

I think the 2a is about the BEST barometer available for a measure of conservative stance. So, if everything boiled down to just one view to help me place where a politician lies, the 2a would be it.

BTW, who is "us"? "Thanks for giving us the opportunity to enjoy your forums." http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=563989

hammerhead_77
05-30-2012, 1:10 PM
i have a question TACTICAL, would you vote for a candidate based solely on their standing as a pro 2A candidate or would any of their other views factor into your decision to vote for them?

What if there was a perfectly logical candidate, who just happened to also be anti-gun, if thats actually possible lol, meaning what if this person has some really sound ideas for shoring up the economic mess, balancing a budget, getting people to work, helping small business stay afloat, keeping your taxes down, straightening out the schools, BUT, wasn't willing to work at getting your 2A rights restored because he/she was basically anti-gun anyway??? How would you vote?? How would any of you vote?? Is it all coming down to who will give you your guns now??

Or we could swing the pendulum the other way, what if there was a candidate who couldn't hit water if he fell out of a boat when it comes getting things done, he'd put your city in an economic freefall, run up a huge deficit, cause loss of jobs and business BUT he'd fight like hell to get you your gun rights restored, which way do you go???

It would be nice to have the best of both worlds, but where would your loyalty lie when faced with that kind of decision? Don't misunderstand me, I fully understand 2A rights is no small issue, your constitutional right is at stake, but, with all the other issues this state, this country, is faced with, which would you be willing to sacrifice, for now, which road would you choose?? :43:

Easy. The pro-gun guy. This is Kalifornistan...some a-hole is always going to come along to drive the deficit up and the economy off the cliff. Get the gun rights now, and then, once they are solidly reestablished, vote for the fiscally sound anti who will have bigger fish to fry and a steep hill to climb to pull rights away.

If only it were as simple as you posit.... Instead we get anti-rights douches who grab guns, run up deficits and drive the economy off a cliff. Single issue is the only way to go for me.

Glock22Fan
05-30-2012, 2:12 PM
Short term it might hurt, but most *****hole politicians' wrongsdoings can be reversed.

However, anti-gun measures are a lot harder to reverse in California than most other wrongdoings.

Once you've lost your 2A rights, they are a lot harder to regain.

Just something to think about.

sofbak
05-30-2012, 2:14 PM
From what I've read in the UT, I don't believe any of them are pro 2nd. Amendment. Jerry Saunders was as about as close as we're going to get due to his LE background.

Close? I guess it's relative...

http://www.mayorsagainstillegalguns.org/html/members/members.shtml

About a year ago I e-mailed the Di Maio campaign asking about his position/opinion on MAIG. I'm still waiting for a reply..

raycm2
05-30-2012, 3:26 PM
Falconlair,
2A always. Without 2A it's only a matter of time before we lose the right to vote. It is human nature to attempt to dominate others unless doing so involves negative conequences.

Gunsmith Dan
05-30-2012, 3:52 PM
Yea you got to look beyond 2A really ....

Look at Senator Harry Reid ..... he is pro gun .... highly rated as pro gun by the NRA but completely off the cliff for everything else.

In his case Nevada is very pro gun state so anyone running for office planning to win has to be pro 2A (even though he really isn't if you look at some of the comments he makes between rambling sentences).

So you really have to look at the politicians whole history ... not just what they are saying atm to get votes.

FYI DiMaio is the Republican canidate and he is slightly right of center ..... not alot but definately far from liberal as stated above. There has been no comment on his feelings towards the 2A ..... but he might make his feelings known shortly :D

NoJoke
05-30-2012, 3:59 PM
Yea you got to look beyond 2A really ....

Look at Senator Harry Reid ..... he is pro gun ....
In his case Nevada is very pro gun state so anyone running for office planning to win has to be pro 2A (even though he really isn't

So he has to lie to get in by faking pro 2a status.
And Nevada is still a pro 2a state.

I think in a situation like that, everything will work itself out in due time- in a pro 2a fashion.

Now, if we had multiple pro 2a choices in San Diego, by all means more criteria should be examined. There needs to be a first step, and the 2a is it. Without it, in my opinion, the candidate is liberal, no matter what the party he/she is aligned with.

CessnaDriver
05-30-2012, 4:01 PM
What powers does a Mayor wield in this regard that we need to be aware of?

Gunsmith Dan
05-30-2012, 4:29 PM
State of California law states that the CLEO of the city or the Sheriff of the county that a applicant for a CCW resides in "may" issue a CCW to that applicant after jumping through some hoops.

Currently all of the cities in San Diego county have signed a agreement to turn over all duties and responsibilities for CCW applicants over to the San Diego County Sheriff.

A mayor of a city can order the Chief of Police to no longer do that and start processing CCW applications for the residence of the city. The Mayor could also appoint a Chief of Police that was also pro gun who would accept "self defense" as a good cause.

In the past the San Diego Mayor would appoint a Chief of Police and then the Chief of Police would be confirmed or not confirmed by a council vote.

That has now changed with the strong mayor changes that have taken place recently. The Chief of Police is now appointed by the Mayor with no council input at all, this was confirmed by the Mayor's office after making a phone call to them today.

SO yea having a pro gun Mayor could make a difference here in San Diego for at least CCW.

P.S> just heard back from the assistant campaign manager for the Carl DiMaio campaign, he is very Pro 2A and pro CCW.

TACTICAL SYSTEMS
05-31-2012, 12:43 AM
Yes Falconair I am Very Pro Second Amendment and I probable would base most of my decision on who to vote for on this issue ***

MrsRazz
05-31-2012, 8:44 AM
It seems that Nathaniel Fletcher has voted no on several bills that would tighten gun laws.

http://votesmart.org/candidate/104432/nathan-fletcher?categoryId=37

dbo31
05-31-2012, 9:25 AM
I always look beyond 2A when voting..but most people are 1 issue voters as smart as that sounds. I look at it like this..if California had the guns laws of say Arizona but everything else in the state is exactly the same would I be happy? Hell no. The entire state I live in is going off a cliff but hey at least i don't have to use a bullet button. Makes no sense

PackingHeatInSDCA
05-31-2012, 12:26 PM
I contacted all the candidates by email earlier in the week and sent them this message:

I am reviewing my sample ballot and I have one simple question for you if you don’t mind please.

Say the Sheriff decides to loosen the restrictions for issuance of CCW permits so that any citizen with a clean background and who has passed the training can obtain one.

Do you consider that a good or bad thing? And why?

I received a reply from Carl DeMaio within ~45 minutes. The only other reply was from Nathan Fletcher 2 days later (today).

Carl DeMaio said:

Thank you for your email regarding CCW. As you may be aware, this issue is not one that I will have jurisdiction over as Mayor. However, I am personally in support of measures that increase and uphold the second amendment rights of U.S. citizens.

Please do not hesitate to contact me again. I appreciate your support.

- Carl

We went back/forth just a little bit and I was a little shocked how responsive he is. Seems up and up.

Nathan Fletcher responded to me earlier today and said:

I fully support the Second Amendment but I think this is something I think the Sheriff should be able to decide.
-Nathan

He did not comment about his vote for banning open carry (and I did not ask him at the time, but I have followed-up to ask).

With all this information considered, right now Carl has my vote and I encourage everyone else to support him. If the above post is true about a Mayor ordering the PD chief to issue, then the only candidate I can see doing that right now is Carl DeMaio. He seems to be the only one demonstrating leadership - whether you agree with him or not. And that is what we need right now more than anything - leadership. Not someone who changes direction with the wind.

My .02. your change may vary.

NoJoke
05-31-2012, 12:56 PM
I contacted all the candidates by email earlier in the week and sent them this message:

I am reviewing my sample ballot and I have one simple question for you if you don’t mind please.

Say the Sheriff decides to loosen the restrictions for issuance of CCW permits so that any citizen with a clean background and who has passed the training can obtain one.

Do you consider that a good or bad thing? And why?

I received a reply from Carl DeMaio within ~45 minutes. The only other reply was from Nathan Fletcher 2 days later (today).

Carl DeMaio said:

Thank you for your email regarding CCW. As you may be aware, this issue is not one that I will have jurisdiction over as Mayor. However, I am personally in support of measures that increase and uphold the second amendment rights of U.S. citizens.

Please do not hesitate to contact me again. I appreciate your support.

- Carl

We went back/forth just a little bit and I was a little shocked how responsive he is. Seems up and up..

Why don't you post up his e-mail address?
Seems he could be educated a bit - he could and SHOULD be very involved with LTC's. A declaration by him to the sheriff to become "shall issue" under the "strong mayor" set up we have would really be all it would take(IMO).

Sounds like he's simply pandering for a vote and could really care less - pass the buck kind of answer.

dbo31
05-31-2012, 1:00 PM
Both of those guys are very non-committal and pawn it off on someone else.

PackingHeatInSDCA
05-31-2012, 1:10 PM
I just went to their campaign web sites and clicked the contact link.

I am not a lawyer or an election expert by any means, but I believe the Sheriff's jurisdiction covers all the cities in the county, not just the city of san diego. and so I don't believe the mayor of any one city can order the sheriff to do anything.

Police chief maybe but again I really have no idea.

I personally have no issues with the sheriff's dept. but still the whole constitutional issue is one I care deeply about. It all boils down to "when you outlaw guns, only outlaws will have guns" and that is not a world I would like to be in.

In any case, I believe I tend to have a good feel for people and have learned to trust that instinct over the years. Based on what I see, Carl is who I'm voting for unless some more information comes up between now and election day.

NoJoke
05-31-2012, 1:28 PM
... I believe the Sheriff's jurisdiction covers all the cities in the county, not just the city of san diego. and so I don't believe the mayor of any one city can order the sheriff to do anything.

Police chief maybe but again I really have no idea.

Nor am I a lawyer.
I believe that all the cities of the county have agreed (some sort of article "g" agreement) to direct all LTC requests to a single sheriff, SDSO.

I really don't think all the LTC stuff has anything to do with laws and everything to do with politics. Therefore the head politicians (new mayor and the sheriff) could certainly implement pretty much, overnight, "shall issue" IMO.

So, yeah - I think Carl is wimping out big time. :rolleyes::mad:
I have serious doubts he is pro gun or pro 2a: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carl_DeMaio

GMG
05-31-2012, 2:08 PM
I don't have a dog in this fight since I live in the county and not the city but.........

Our sheriff doesn't want "shall issue", it makes no difference what the S.D. mayor wants or says. Our sheriff doesn't answer to the mayor. So you can forget that as any leverage.!

NoJoke
05-31-2012, 5:02 PM
SO yea having a pro gun Mayor could make a difference here in San Diego for at least CCW.

P.S> just heard back from the assistant campaign manager for the Carl DiMaio campaign, he is very Pro 2A and pro CCW.

I have asked Carl to provide evidence of his pro 2a/LTC claim. So far, no reply.

Gunsmith Dan
05-31-2012, 5:06 PM
Guys the Mayor of ANY city in California does not need permission from the county sheriff to order a appointed Chief of Police to process and issue CCW's to the residents of that city. The only reason the San Diego Sheriff processes all the CCW applications is all the cities in San Diego signed a agreement to turn over all responsibilities to the San Diego County Sheriff. It is a non binding document and any city can claim their right to process CCW applications for thier residents at any time.

PC 12050:

(a)(1)(A)The sheriff of a county, upon proof that the person applying is of good moral character, that good cause exists for the issuance, and that the person applying satisfies any one of the conditions specified in subparagraph (D) and has completed a course of training as described in subparagraph (E), may issue to that person a license to carry a pistol, revolver, or other firearm capable of being concealed upon the person in either one of the following formats:

(i)A license to carry concealed a pistol, revolver, or other firearm capable of being concealed upon the person.

(ii)Where the population of the county is less than 200,000 persons according to the most recent federal decennial census, a license to carry loaded and exposed in that county a pistol, revolver, or other firearm capable of being concealed upon the person.

(B)The chief or other head of a municipal police department of any city or city and county, upon proof that the person applying is of good moral character, that good cause exists for the issuance, and that the person applying is a resident of that city and has completed a course of training as described in subparagraph (E), may issue to that person a license to carry a pistol, revolver, or other firearm capable of being concealed upon the person in either one of the following formats:
(i)A license to carry concealed a pistol, revolver, or other firearm capable of being concealed upon the person.

(ii)Where the population of the county in which the city is located is less than 200,000 persons according to the most recent federal decennial census, a license to carry loaded and exposed in that county a pistol, revolver, or other firearm capable of being concealed upon the person.

(C)The sheriff of a county or the chief or other head of a municipal police department of any city or city and county, upon proof that the person applying is of good moral character, that good cause exists for the issuance, and that the person applying is a person who has been deputized or appointed as a peace officer pursuant to subdivision (a) or (b) of Section 830.6 by that sheriff or that chief of police or other head of a municipal police department, may issue to that person a license to carry concealed a pistol, revolver, or other firearm capable of being concealed upon the person. Direct or indirect fees for the issuance of a license pursuant to this subparagraph may be waived. The fact that an applicant for a license to carry a pistol, revolver, or other firearm capable of being concealed upon the person has been deputized or appointed as a peace officer pursuant to subdivision (a) or (b) of Section 830.6 shall be considered only for the purpose of issuing a license pursuant to this subparagraph, and shall not be considered for the purpose of issuing a license pursuant to subparagraph (A) or (B).

Did not include that whole PC 12050 but Carl DiMaio response is mistaken as is Nathen Fletcher's on how much power the San Diego mayor has in the issuance of CCWs for city residents.

NoJoke
05-31-2012, 5:10 PM
.....Carl DiMaio response is mistakena sidestepping of an issue as is Nathen Fletcher's on how much power the San Diego mayor has in the issuance of CCWs for city residents.

Yup.
What does all this mean at this point? Probably nothing.
We have 2 bad choices.........vote for the lesser evil-

....or we could do our best to really turn the screws with a more favorable candidate to MAKE it more of a central issue by all San Diego voters/gun owners. :beer::beer:

PackingHeatInSDCA
05-31-2012, 5:28 PM
It would be interesting if someone in the audience can ask the question at the debate.

I think it's in a few hours so I don't expect any candidate to reply tonight.

SoCalCitizen
05-31-2012, 6:26 PM
CMG has it right. We all would like to see issuance of CCW in all counties of California. Won't happen in SD no matter who the mayor is until compelled by the courts. Current sd sheriff won't budge either. Listening to latest group of candidates shows little promise on this and other major issues. Comment about current mayor Sanders being pro 2A because he is former police chief is laughable. Some of the most anti 2A politicians are leo prepped. They crave control but are against citizens being able to arm themselves. Good luck.

epilepticninja
05-31-2012, 6:38 PM
I maintain my permanent residence in Sacramento County even though I work/live in San Diego County, for the sole reason that hell will freeze over before the liberal politicians and sheriff in this county will support 2A and start issuing CCW's. And I absolutely think that sucks ballsacular. I'd love to move here on a permanent basis, but that will never happen unless the CGF can put the whoop on the Sheriff here like they did in Sacto. Other than LEO, I feel like I'm the only cat carrying concealed down here.

NoJoke
05-31-2012, 8:08 PM
Current sd sheriff won't budge either. .

I happen to think you are wrong.
I don't claim to *know* him, but I've met him a couple of times. My impression is that he could easily get swayed if it didn't cost him politically - ie, ordered by the mayor.

SoCalCitizen
05-31-2012, 8:45 PM
I respect your opinion NoJoke. We probably want a lot of the same things. I really believe that the sheriff won't budge until court ordered and I wouldn't think the SD city mayor's word would be worth much to SD county sheriff.

Satex
05-31-2012, 9:24 PM
Of the two front runners, Dumanis and DiMaio..Neither. One is the current DA and the other is very liberal in most of his views.

The front runner is Nathan Fletcher, a Republican turned independent for the purpose of running for mayor. He is pro 2A but he's never expressed an opinion unprompted since he's too savvy to step in it.

Dumanis is leading the pack from the pack. She is a clear anti 2nd candidate. As a reminder, she filed a brief against in the Heller case in the name of public safety. She is a career "public servant" that will carry out actions that serve her self interest. She is now making waves in the Nunez case for political gains. Regardless - she doesn't stand a chance. Worst of all - she is in the pocket of the Unions.

DeMaio is a Republican and is the best candidate San Diego can have. He is a non-sense manager that provides real solutions to the real problems San Diego has. Best of all, he isn't on the public employee union take like all the other candidates. That's why the unions are out to destroy him. He doesn't have a 2A stand because it's irrelevant as a mayor. I'd give DeMaio my vote in a heartbeat.

2A considerations in mayoral races are irrelevant especially since 2A related laws occur at the State level. In voting for mayor, I only consider candidates that can bring fiscal prosperity to the city - nothing else.

Satex
05-31-2012, 9:27 PM
CMG has it right. We all would like to see issuance of CCW in all counties of California. Won't happen in SD no matter who the mayor is until compelled by the courts.

The Mayor has ZERO power in CCW policy. The SD County Sheriff is the supreme law enforcement body in the county and is only accountable to State law. The SD Sheriff is a well managed Oligarchy that won't change the way they do business unless the State beats them over the head.

Satex
05-31-2012, 9:33 PM
I happen to think you are wrong.
I don't claim to *know* him, but I've met him a couple of times. My impression is that he could easily get swayed if it didn't cost him politically - ie, ordered by the mayor.

Bull ***. The SD Sheriff office claims that they issue over 99% of the CCW requests. What they don't tell you is that unless they AGREE that you have good cause, they won't let you apply. That's how they tell everyone they are big supporters of 2A.

When I called and asked for an appointment to apply for a CCW, I was hit with a barrage of questions as to my good cause. Every answer I provided wasn't good enough. When I insisted I want an interview regardless, the lady on the other side lowered her voice and whispered: "I will set you up with an appointment but I want to make it clear to you that your request will be denied .... pause .... that's how it works around here."

CessnaDriver
05-31-2012, 9:34 PM
Ten News poll....

31% Carl DeMaio
11% Bonnie Dumanis
28% Bob Filner
23% Nathan Fletcher
3% Other
4% Undecided

xpbprox
05-31-2012, 9:35 PM
Seems like you guys are single issue voters.
If I could vote, I'd vote for Carl. He's got a great pension reform thing going one. Yeah he's gay but he's more conservative that any of the others. Woody would have been a great choice but he's only a write in, and hardly anyone knows about him....

NoJoke
05-31-2012, 9:46 PM
Yeah he's gay but he's more conservative that any of the others. ....

I had to chuckle to myself - what an age we're in now.

I could care LESS if he's gay - but I hope if he truly claims to be conservative - he is a true conservative and sees the LTC issue through.

The chuckle to myself thing is that the most conservative choice we have is a gay man - the time's they's a changing!

He'll get my vote if he can promise me he'll push Gore and go shall-issue.

If for no other reason, then maybe some of his gay friends could LTC themselves for self protection :idea: :idea:

It's a right we ALL need to have. :lightbulb:

xpbprox
05-31-2012, 9:58 PM
If for no other reason, then maybe some of his gay friends could LTC themselves for self protection :idea: :idea:

It's a right we ALL need to have. :lightbulb:

Civil right!!!
Hey I like where you're going with that, we could all claim that we're gay and need to carry for protection! :43:

Firemark
05-31-2012, 10:33 PM

Jerry Sanders is Anti gun and a member of mayors against illegal guns. He and his protege chief he left behind Lansdowne are anti gun.

thestork
05-31-2012, 10:57 PM
For what it's worth the San Diego cops I have talked with hate DiMaio with a passion.

PackingHeatInSDCA
06-01-2012, 6:36 AM
I said in an earlier post that Nathan Fletcher said he is pro 2A but has not demonstrated it by voting for the open carry ban.

This was incorrect. Nathan Fletcher voted against the open carry ban. sorry

Still...DeMaio is much more responsive to email. I don't care if he is gay. Bonnie Dumanis is also gay. SO WHAT

NoJoke
06-01-2012, 7:25 AM
Still...DeMaio is much more responsive to email. I don't care if he is gay. Bonnie Dumanis is also gay. SO WHAT

He has not replied to my request to provide some backing to his claim to be pro 2a. And stop with the gay comments already, don't make an irrelevant trivial point a leading issue. It is irrelevant.

donw
06-02-2012, 6:35 AM

(BOLD is my emphasis)

once a "Right" has been lost/negated/removed/cancelled, it's darn near impossible to get it restored without massive effort, legally and financially, to restore it.

we're in an era where it's popular for legislators to negate one right to enact another right...the so-called "War on women" is a perfect example.

as we sit here and now, we are in a struggle to just keep the second amendment rights, which have been affirmed by the SCOTUS, and we have an AGUS who believes we DO NOT have that right and is clearly working to take it away.

friends, i submit to you that:

IF the 2A is lost...the rest of the Constitution will surely be gone shortly thereafter! the 2A IS THE KEY AMENDMENT TO THE CONSTITUTION!

read the Declaration of Independence and think about it...WHY did the founding forefathers put the SECOND Amendment in second place?

simple answer: so the "People" would be able to enforce the Constitution against those who would try to remove it. (Among other reasons)

if a candidate is NOT supportive of 2A and it's associated rights, they will NOT get my vote...more than likely, they will surely NOT be supportive of any other rights except their "Special interest" support.

tune into roger hedgecock, AM 760...he usually keeps up with issues like the mayoral race.

JMO...:)

TACTICAL SYSTEMS
06-02-2012, 7:03 AM
Read an article in the San Diego Union paper yesterday that stated that
BLOOMEY Bloomberg was endorsing ** Nathan Fletcher **
Thats not good for Fletcher *********

HBrebel
06-02-2012, 8:14 AM
does it even matter? It seem that the only mayor with any power in this country is Bloomberg in NY

mike_schwartz@mail.com
06-02-2012, 7:44 PM
Carl DeMaio will not advance any gun issues, but would fight against any attempts to pass anti-gun policy on the city level. He will not support any kind of anti-gun group as mayor. He's not a shooter, but he is not anti-gun.
Nathan Fletcher is NRA "A" rated and has voted the right way on all gun issues while in the Assembly. During his first run he refused to fill out the NRA questionaire. He will fight against anti-gun measures at the city level too, but will not fight for pro-gun issues. It's pretty tough to believe anything the guy says. He changes his positions a lot and has lied to me personally though.
The big reason neither of these guys will not fight to further gun rights is because it is not a city issue. Nor do we want it to be.
Bob Filner is rated "F" by the NRA.
Bonnie Dumanis signed on to Camilla Harris' amicus brief for Heller stating that the Second Amendment is NOT an individual right. Filner and Dumanis are solidly anti-gun.

xpbprox
06-02-2012, 8:20 PM
So where are you at Mike?

eaglemike
06-02-2012, 8:34 PM
I think Carl DeMaio is likely the best. I don't trust Fletcher. He's flopped on a few things unrelated to the 2A.

hammerhead_77
06-02-2012, 10:43 PM
For what it's worth the San Diego cops I have talked with hate DiMaio with a passion.

This alone would be reason to vote for him...if only I didn't live in the utopia that is Fallbrook. I like to vote for the guy that the Unions and the media hate the most. Chances are, if they hate him I'm gonna love him.

mike_schwartz@mail.com
06-02-2012, 11:00 PM
xpbprox, I am in San Diego County. Santee.

MAC USMC
06-03-2012, 12:28 PM
REGARDING MAYOR SANDERS

Make no mistake about it - Jerry Sanders is anti-gun! He joined NY Mayor Michael BLOOMBERG'S anti-gun crusade several years ago in a coalition of liberal mayors to pass more restrictive legislation. I called his aide, PUDGIL, who confirmed his position and membership in this group.

Crazed_SS
06-03-2012, 12:40 PM
Fletcher is the military guy? I might go with him. I hate Dumanis, dont get a warm and fuzzy from DeMaio and Filner looks like the Joker.

MAC USMC
06-03-2012, 12:42 PM
Carl De Maio is a human chameleon, quite willing to change his coloring, position or beliefs (temporarily) to gain political approval and support. Nothing he says should be accepted on face value since it is based on half-truths or is totally unfounded.

He does not like police officers in the least nor do his "associates" due to certain episodes in the past. His belief system(s) and values are well known in law enforcement circles.

This man has no concept on how to manage a city the size of San Diego nor does he have any appreciation for work efforts of the city employee groups. His efforts to under-cut the salary and pension structures of these people will result in the loss of highly skilled and experienced staff and the inablility to hire qualified replacements. The San Diego Police Dept. lost several hundred officers who transferred elsewhere due to the over-zealous cuts made by Mayor Sanders and his crew. Over the top cuts were made which are still hurting the enforcement and crime control efforts in this town at this time.

De Maio would love to slash and burn even more without regard to the needs of San Diegans.

eaglemike
06-03-2012, 12:56 PM
Carl De Maio is a human chameleon, quite willing to change his coloring, position or beliefs (temporarily) to gain political approval and support. Nothing he says should be accepted on face value since it is based on half-truths or is totally unfounded.

He does not like police officers in the least nor do his "associates" due to certain episodes in the past. His belief system(s) and values are well known in law enforcement circles.

This man has no concept on how to manage a city the size of San Diego nor does he have any appreciation for work efforts of the city employee groups. His efforts to under-cut the salary and pension structures of these people will result in the loss of highly skilled and experienced staff and the inablility to hire qualified replacements. The San Diego Police Dept. lost several hundred officers who transferred elsewhere due to the over-zealous cuts made by Mayor Sanders and his crew. Over the top cuts were made which are still hurting the enforcement and crime control efforts in this town at this time.

De Maio would love to slash and burn even more without regard to the needs of San Diegans.
Some of this is true about Fletcher.

The "public servant" pension and benefits are out of control and cannot be maintained. That is truth, plain and simple. I know it's unpleasant to hear, but it's the truth. One just has to do the math to know this. Selfish people sold out in order to promote the sort term setup.

I have several friends that work for or have worked for the state, city or county, including LEO. No one wants to give anything up so the system can survive, and I understand that. Sooner or later there will be issues.

xpbprox
06-03-2012, 1:06 PM
Fletcher is the military guy? I might go with him. I hate Dumanis, dont get a warm and fuzzy from DeMaio and Filner looks like the Joker.

So we're voting based on military service?
Did u also vote for John McCain?
If it means anything to you, every marine including My father who was in for 20 years and was also a DI like fletcher, that I know are not voting for fletcher. He Is a typical progressive, gay supporting moderate. When DeMaio was recently asked about gay rights. His response was basically saying that we have more important pressing issues that need to be taken care of right now. Carl isn't going to impose his personal life onto other people.

I can totally see some people saying that DeMaio is just being GAY so he can get elected.

Fletcher supports SB48
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hVSvgNZBxgA&feature=youtube_gdata_player

xpbprox
06-03-2012, 1:21 PM

Let me tell you a little something about Nathan Flatcher's character.

He was scheduled to go to FT Rosecrans this past memorial day. Guess what he didn't show up!!! Why, you're thinking. Well it's because he would rather play politician and go to the Balboa event where Romney and McCain were. He wasn't invited there and he really didn't get to much notice.

So anyways the Chair from Rosecrans called Fletchers office and told him he would never be invited back there, what a bone head. Guess he didn't retain too much from his DI days.

Come on are you kidding me? It's the classic liberal agenda that lead us to believe that if we (for example) cut education spending that it will result in a direct cut of teachers!!! The public thinks OMG no way jose! they are cutting teachers, screw the republicans! We want more money to save the teachers. Mean while the principle at a local high school is driving a Benz and she also has a nice boob job. On top of that why does every high school have highly paid security guards called (assistant Principals). I know some school have at least 3 if not more. Really do we need to give these people so much money to not do crap. The teacher are more important than the APs. Cut the ****ing APs and pension.

how about these chiefs making bank on retirement?
Why should someone make $100K a year for being a firefighter?
I tried to become a volunteer FF one time and was told that they were looked down on and I found out that it's hard to even get on the crew as a volunteer. Why is there a waiting line of volunteers? WTF they are there to do it for free!

softscrubb
06-03-2012, 1:31 PM
Carl Demario is a lier who would tell you anything he could to get your vote. He takes credit for others work if it benefits him and lies about things he did if it works against him. He is a typical carpetbagger Republican who is anti employee and pro-special interest. He claims not supporting higher taxes but back doored a tax increase using a 'secret' vote of hoteliers to raise hotel taxes with no public input. The City is on the hook for $30million a year. How is that not a tax increase? It increases hotel tax and costs taxpayers from the general fund....

Nathan fletcher is a legit candidate who is strong on labor, strong on pension reform and pro business.

Fletcher for mayor is the right choice.....

xpbprox
06-03-2012, 2:39 PM
Haha

gunsandrockets
06-03-2012, 7:04 PM
Guys the Mayor of ANY city in California does not need permission from the county sheriff to order a appointed Chief of Police to process and issue CCW's to the residents of that city. The only reason the San Diego Sheriff processes all the CCW applications is all the cities in San Diego signed a agreement to turn over all responsibilities to the San Diego County Sheriff. It is a non binding document and any city can claim their right to process CCW applications for thier residents at any time.

PC 12050:

(a)(1)(A)The sheriff of a county, upon proof that the person applying is of good moral character, that good cause exists for the issuance, and that the person applying satisfies any one of the conditions specified in subparagraph (D) and has completed a course of training as described in subparagraph (E), may issue to that person a license to carry a pistol, revolver, or other firearm capable of being concealed upon the person in either one of the following formats:

(ii)Where the population of the county is less than 200,000 persons according to the most recent federal decennial census, a license to carry loaded and exposed in that county a pistol, revolver, or other firearm capable of being concealed upon the person.

(B)The chief or other head of a municipal police department of any city or city and county, upon proof that the person applying is of good moral character, that good cause exists for the issuance, and that the person applying is a resident of that city and has completed a course of training as described in subparagraph (E), may issue to that person a license to carry a pistol, revolver, or other firearm capable of being concealed upon the person in either one of the following formats:

(ii)Where the population of the county in which the city is located is less than 200,000 persons according to the most recent federal decennial census, a license to carry loaded and exposed in that county a pistol, revolver, or other firearm capable of being concealed upon the person.

(C)The sheriff of a county or the chief or other head of a municipal police department of any city or city and county, upon proof that the person applying is of good moral character, that good cause exists for the issuance, and that the person applying is a person who has been deputized or appointed as a peace officer pursuant to subdivision (a) or (b) of Section 830.6 by that sheriff or that chief of police or other head of a municipal police department, may issue to that person a license to carry concealed a pistol, revolver, or other firearm capable of being concealed upon the person. Direct or indirect fees for the issuance of a license pursuant to this subparagraph may be waived. The fact that an applicant for a license to carry a pistol, revolver, or other firearm capable of being concealed upon the person has been deputized or appointed as a peace officer pursuant to subdivision (a) or (b) of Section 830.6 shall be considered only for the purpose of issuing a license pursuant to this subparagraph, and shall not be considered for the purpose of issuing a license pursuant to subparagraph (A) or (B).

Did not include that whole PC 12050 but Carl DiMaio response is mistaken as is Nathen Fletcher's on how much power the San Diego mayor has in the issuance of CCWs for city residents.

The cities within San Diego County defer to the authority of the SD County Sheriff on the issuance of CCW by choice.

In fact back in the 1990's there was an effort from the city council of the city of La Mesa to empower the LMPD to issue CCW to city residents, thereby bypassing the SD County Sheriff. This effort was vigorously resisted and defeated by the anti-gun Mayor of La Mesa Art Madrid. I'm ashamed to say that drunken fool is still mayor of La Mesa today.

The current Sheriff of SD County, William D. Gore, is quite a character with a shocking past.

http://angiemedia.com/2010/04/20/bill-gore-is-poor-choice-for-san-diego-sheriff/

Despite all that he cruised into office, first becoming active Sheriff when the then current office holder retired, then easily winning election to office. He maintains the 'good cause' requirements of his predecessor for CCW, which in effect means you have to be a business owner to get a permit. So the CCW situation is not as bad as Los Angeles, but far from being as good as Sacramento.

gunsandrockets
06-03-2012, 7:14 PM

The real objective of the original “Brady Bill” of 1993 was to impose a national 5 day waiting period on handgun sales, but the Brady Bunch sold it to the public by claiming it was for background checks on purchasers. But since many people already lived in States with either waiting periods or background checks, the Brady Bunch resorted to lies to push the legislation.

Jerry Sanders, now mayor of San Diego, was the Chief of the San Diego Police Department back then. In one interview where he voiced support for the Brady Bill, he claimed the bill was needed to prevent California residents from evading the California background check and waiting period by buying a handgun out of state! (Neglecting to mention the Fed GCA 1968 already prohibited out of state handgun sales)

gunsandrockets
06-03-2012, 7:36 PM

My personal opinion about Dumanis is that she should be slapped daily for what she did to Cynthia Sommer, the innocent wife of a Marine who died. She knew the forensic evidence against her was tainted and hid that fact. When the courts overturned her conviction after she had been imprisoned for over 2 years, Dumanis said "Justice has been served." Really? What about this young woman's ruined life?

Dumanis signed on to the anti-gun brief from some DAs when DC v Heller was being decided by the U.S. Supreme Court.

http://legacy.utsandiego.com/news/metro/20080114-0722-1bo14dagunban.html

When knowledge of this crazy act from a supposedly pro-2nd Amendment Republican began to gain wider knowledge, the office of Dumanis reacted with hostile indifference to inquiries. But when the opinion of the court finally became public, Dumanis was first in line proclaiming that she was happy with the decision of the court!

eaglemike
06-03-2012, 8:13 PM
Carl Demario is a lier who would tell you anything he could to get your vote. He takes credit for others work if it benefits him and lies about things he did if it works against him. He is a typical carpetbagger Republican who is anti employee and pro-special interest. He claims not supporting higher taxes but back doored a tax increase using a 'secret' vote of hoteliers to raise hotel taxes with no public input. The City is on the hook for $30million a year. How is that not a tax increase? It increases hotel tax and costs taxpayers from the general fund....

Nathan fletcher is a legit candidate who is strong on labor, strong on pension reform and pro business.

Fletcher for mayor is the right choice.....
Right, sure. please explain how this works..........

How many votes did Fletcher miss? Sounds like he's Obama trained when it comes to the job.

Gunsmith Dan
06-03-2012, 11:23 PM
gunsandrockets:

If you had read my other posts you would of understood that the all the cities in San Diego county signed a non binding agreement to allow the SD Sheriff process all CCW applicants (in fact I have seen the actual document with all the signatures on one page) and collect the fees. The cities did not give up thier rights to process CCW applications, in fact any city in San Diego can just say "yea we will do our own CCWs now, see you later" and the SD Sheriff can not do anything about it.

That is fact

The difference in the city of San Diego is that they changed the type of city government to a strong mayor form of city government. The mayor in the past would appoint people to key positions (Police Chief, Fire Chief, etc.) and the council would vote to confirm or not confirm.

Now with the strong mayor city government the Mayor can appoint and dismiss key appointments at will, the city council has no input or power to do anything.

Plus you always got the "raising money" for the city since the city, not the county, would collect the CCW fees plus all the taxes from increased gun sales.

So getting a pro CCW mayor elected to the city of San Diego would be good .... but of course voting for a politician on just one view is never a good idea.

gunsandrockets
06-04-2012, 1:57 AM
Gunsmith Dan

Hmm... when I replied to your post and I put as the header "exactly right" I thought it was crystal clear that I was agreeing with you.

shooter5
06-04-2012, 6:34 PM
Pro 2A is No.1..

The ball$ to stand up to UNION$, City Pension B$ and pro competitive bidding on city contracts is No.2..

But my advise to the candidate would be to declare the Beach-booze-ban DEAD and they win hands down..

Fishslayer
06-04-2012, 9:38 PM
What powers does a Mayor wield in this regard that we need to be aware of?

Sanders appointed Bill Gore to Sheriff who has made San Diego a "Fat Fargeeng Chance of Issue" county. It's not easy to unseat an incumbant.

I suppose the Mayor could take a lunch and let it be known that he/she would like a more pro 2A position... I'm sure the Mayor could probably influence the Department's budget.

motorhead
06-05-2012, 1:28 AM
the mayor has NO SAY in sdso operation. technically, that's the county board of supervisors but they have no real control over the actions of the sherrif.
fyi-bill kollender, former sherrif, appointed gore as his sucessor.

i have no dog in this fight. i gave up the joys of urban living back in 00. if i had to make a choice, it'd be whoever would gut the city union.

CessnaDriver
06-05-2012, 8:28 AM
the mayor has NO SAY in sdso operation. technically, that's the county board of supervisors but they have no real control over the actions of the sherrif.
fyi-bill kollender, former sherrif, appointed gore as his sucessor.

i have no dog in this fight. i gave up the joys of urban living back in 00. if i had to make a choice, it'd be whoever would gut the city union.

Yeah, whoever will burn the unions the most since they have soaked up so much of the potential for this city over the decades. I put unions below politicians on the repugnant scale.

Had some fat woman stomping for Filner walk up my driveway waving arms and block my car the other day. My wife interceded which probably prevented a scene.

It's sort of Aliens Vs Predator though.
Whoever wins, we lose.

thestork
06-05-2012, 8:39 PM

I'm looking for the LIKE button. Good post.

NoJoke
06-05-2012, 9:33 PM
Watching KPBS results and something strikes me....

How MANY times can the lady news broadcaster ask the same question?

"XXX district is predominantly democratic, what message is being sent by voters seeing a republican winning at this point"?

Gee.... I dunno....what do you think? :rolleyes::D