PDA

View Full Version : Questions about Bolting Down a Safe

Lifeon2whls
05-30-2012, 9:58 AM
I'm currently looking to buy a safe and the location is going to vary greatly depending on how my wife feels about keeping it in the house and how big the safe is that I end up getting. I'm looking at one of the smaller centurion safes at Lowes which would be about 300lbs and about 2ft wide...and the smaller Big Horn safe at Costco which is a tad bit bigger.

So my first question is if I want to keep it in the house, what is the best way of securing one of these to the floor if I live in a house with a raised floor foundation? There isnt any concrete to drill into and its going to be hard to put it in the back of a closet and hopefully find a stud.

My next consideration is putting it in the garage and go straight into the concrete. My issue here is that we live at the end of a cul-de-sac and our garage turns into a showroom for the street whenever its open. Its also open on a regular basis when I am working on my race bikes, etc and the neighbors have a daycare with a decent amount of foot traffic...long story short, the safe wouldn't be a private matter.

A-J
05-30-2012, 11:13 AM
My garage door is open a LOT for much the same reason - wrenching on bikes. As a matter of course, I do not EVER have the safe open and the garage door open at the same time. When it's closed you can't even tell there's a safe. My buddy came over a while back and specifically said "Dude, I thought you said you were gonna put the safe in the garage"

If you install it in the house, you don't need to find a stud. Get it placed and then drill a single test hole in the floor. Crawl under the house and see where it came out, install additional bracing/framing as needed to mount securely.

Lifeon2whls
05-30-2012, 12:56 PM
If you install it in the house, you don't need to find a stud. Get it placed and then drill a single test hole in the floor. Crawl under the house and see where it came out, install additional bracing/framing as needed to mount securely.

Ah good idea...I could even see putting a moly bolt through the floor into a galvanized steel bar that joins one of the other bolts. The only issue here is actually going under the house...spiders and whatever else is crawling around down there... :(

Susan Bozarth
05-30-2012, 2:31 PM
There is an anchor kit on the market that comes with the drill bit, the bolts, washers, tamper-proof nuts and plastic caps to cover the bolt heads. This is specifically for sub-floor anchoring. It runs about $40 and you can find it on Dean Safe's website (deansafe.com).

kingazteca
05-31-2012, 12:15 AM
There is an anchor kit on the market that comes with the drill bit, the bolts, washers, tamper-proof nuts and plastic caps to cover the bolt heads. This is specifically for sub-floor anchoring. It runs about $40 and you can find it on Dean Safe's website (deansafe.com).

Yup know all about, The one I used is called Lockdown, it works great. I used it to lock down my safe to my sub-floor it's not going anywhere. :D

SDM44
05-31-2012, 9:38 AM
I don't want to thread-jack, but I figured I would ask since it kind of relates to the OP's question since I have a similar setup, but do at least have the option of bolting the safe into a wall stud.

I'm also on a raised floor and can't readily bolt it down (no access to any crawl space or basement to drill down into and install any anchors). However, I do have the option of securing it to wall studs.

Is my only/best option to drill through the back of the safe and line it up with a wall stud and use some lag bolts to secure it? Any particular drill/bit to use in order to get through the safe wall? Any better options than this?

707electrician
05-31-2012, 9:45 AM
The only issue here is actually going under the house...spiders and whatever else is crawling around down there... :(

Dont tell anyone but that is why I haven't bolted my safe down yet :D

California Safe Outlet
05-31-2012, 10:22 AM
Bolting to the concrete is so much more secure than a sub-floor, in my opinion its worth it to put it in the garage and go into the concrete. You can put a black sheet over it or a old refrigerator box and when your garage door is up no one will know the difference from a distance.

smokeysbandit
06-01-2012, 9:51 AM
I have the centurion safe, and for my wife it was too big. It was originally in the bedroom as a "Night Stand", until we moved and she had a cow about putting it back in the bedroom. It was then bolted to the slab in the garage. I often keep a moving blanket tossed over it for hiding purposes, and never open it with the garage door open. You should get the larger safe from costco, and bolt it down in the garage. This way you have room to grow, the wife is happy, and you get a digital combo. I wish mine had that. The new deal with my wife is that I will be getting a small safe for the bedroom to house a pistol or two.