PDA

View Full Version : AR15 knowledge

chulo818
05-30-2012, 8:48 AM
I'm in the market for an AR15 and with all these brands lowers & uppers I'm so lost. Seems like lots of people build there own. Seen them go from $600 - $3000+ ..... Can anyone shoot me a little knowledge? Im just a ounce a month at the range type of guy. What are the betters brands?

nitroxdiver
05-30-2012, 8:55 AM
For your described usage and knowledge level of the rifle, a S&W M&P 15 sport would be right up your alley. Inexpensive, (700ish), reliable, well made, great product support in the highly unlikely event you have a problem with it.
Sign up for an Appleseed shoot after you get one and really learn to shoot it also. Best marksmanship training for the buck you can get.
Have fun!

Johnnyfres
05-30-2012, 9:02 AM
So do you want to build one or buy one is the question?

Another question is what is the main purpose of the weapon?

If you are going to just hit the range every so often. I would go with the S&W MP Sport like nitro said. Best bang for the buck.

Good Brands include:
LWRC
Daniel Defense
Spikes Tatical
Bravo Company USA
and many many more.

I went with a BCM build myself just so that I could completely learn the rifle. If you get into building, do a lot of research first. I spent about two months doing research and shopping of parts. You learn so much just by shopping around.

Good luck. Let us know what you end up with.

jsipe007
05-30-2012, 9:05 AM
Well, I definitely don't consider myself an expert, but I had to do a lot of similar research before buying the parts to build mine. Are you planning to build one or buy one? If you want to build and are looking for quality, affordable parts, I would go to RRA, Spikes, PSA, BCM, etc. I just built a complete 16in dissipator with PSA upper and New fronteir armory alluminum lower for a bit under $800.

Those are all good mid-road brands. Im a personal fan of PSA. I have seen a few uppers from them and the feed ramps were immaculate. The price is amazing too. I personally decided to stay away from Del-ton and DPMS. Im not against either of these brands but I have heard of people having fit/finish issues.

Noveske, Colt, Daniel Defense, etc. In my eyes are all higher end parts and you can expect to pay a bit more (you do get a fantastic weapon though). I just didn't have the money to go that route.

As far as lowers go, there are some threads on here showing which companies make which lowers. Honestly, as far as I can tell, People have been happy with just about every brand of aluminum lower. Aero Precision is one example that comes to mind. Affordable stripped lowers that have excellent fit/finish. I personally would stay away from poly lowers but if you want to save money and weight, you could go that route.

In all honesty, almost any of the midrange brands will suite your needs just fine. Theyre all high quality parts at good pricing. BCM is a proven, well-known and affordable brand. My buddy has one of their uppers and he has shot nearly 20,000 rounds out of it. Its been completely reliable and its very accurate. If you do a little research and planning, you can easily get a quality ar-15 for $800-1000.

Agent Tikki
05-30-2012, 9:58 AM
Wrote a little ditty just 4 you!

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...d.php?t=555451

Please post a reply if you like what I've done!

1nickatnite1
05-30-2012, 11:17 AM
I was in your same shoes a year ago. I think putting your own lower together and getting a complete upper is the way to go. That way you have first hand knowledge of how half the gun works and you don't need special tools for the lower. Watch a bunch of videos on brownells and youtube and just do more research. All the big name brands are great, it really just comes down to personal preference.

ptgarcia
05-30-2012, 11:28 AM
I was in your same shoes a year ago. I think putting your own lower together and getting a complete upper is the way to go. That way you have first hand knowledge of how half the gun works and you don't need special tools for the lower. Watch a bunch of videos on brownells and youtube and just do more research. All the big name brands are great, it really just comes down to personal preference.

This is exactly what I did a month or two ago. Bought a complete upper with iron sights and pieced together a lower myself. Assembling the lower is a piece of cake and a great way to learn how it works. It was also quite enjoyable.