PDA

View Full Version : Any comfortable hearing protection recommendations?

Danz la Nuit
05-30-2012, 9:14 AM
Any comfortable hearing protection recommendations?

Tired of using the earplugs that make the inside of my ears sore after awhile...

Todosi
05-30-2012, 10:07 AM
Surefire Sonic Defenders work really well and are quite comfortable. They are great for pistol or shotgun. For rifle I put Howard Leight electronic muffs over them.

HighLander51
05-30-2012, 10:09 AM
Peltor Tac 6's are an excellent electronic hearing protection at about $55 on Amazon. Sordin MSA Pro's are the best at about $250.

JeremyS
05-30-2012, 10:28 AM
Maybe smaller and/or softer ear plugs? I prefer those over muffs because the muffs push on the stems of your glasses and eventually that causes discomfort. Depending on your glasses, it can be a problem right away and sometimes the muffs don't really seal up well.

I find these to be very comfortable, and the NRR is excellent. I got a big box from uline a while ago (and the box of 200 at this site is pretty cheap): http://www.earplugstore.com/esobluffopln.html

BTW you can get custom ear plugs molded just for your ears and they are 100% comfortable no matter how long they're in. There's almost always a booth doing them at gun shows and I know you can order them online (they send you the mold kit, you mold it to your ear and mail it back, then they send you the custom plugs... I believe).

Lead Waster
05-30-2012, 10:39 AM
I find most big cup ear muffs to be pretty comfortable. I have the HL Thunder 29's. They are pretty good. I also have a cheaper pair of "Winchester" muffs from Walmart, but they the band is a bit small for my head.

When I was riding my motorcycle a lot, I liked the HL "Laser Lite" plugs. And I've had custom plugs, but they were of hard plastic and hurt like the devil after an hour. Maybe SOFT custom plugs would be nicer. I went to an hearing aid store to get the custom plugs.