PDA

View Full Version : New gun for IDPA question.

regalado1
05-30-2012, 7:02 AM
Against my better judgment; I'm thinking about buying and running a Glock 34 for IDPA. I have never been a big fan of Glocks, but see a lot of people using them specifically for IDPA and it makes me wonder..."maybe there's something to it after all..."

Held one in my hand yesterday while picking up my Ruger SR22 and it felt okay. It was a Gen 3. Also wondering if going with a Gen 4 (SSE), would give any real advantage over the Gen 3.

So please save all the "Glocks are the best thing ever" and the "Glocks sucks" comments. I'm looking for real feedback.

Right now, I'm using my Sig 1911 and I do well with it, but looking to change it up and the caliber too. Cheaper to shoot, cheaper to reload, etc.

So , what say you Calguns?

speedrrracer
05-30-2012, 7:48 AM
Probably the best two 9mm (cheaper to buy, cheaper to shoot, cheaper to reload) IDPA guns are the Glock 34 Gen 4 or the Springfield Armory 5.25" Competition.

The SA is what Rob Leatham made for Springfield after years of watching the 34. Since they had the advantage of learning from the 34, they were able to make some improvements (like the sights), but largely the two guns are very similar.

The Gen 4 brings the 34 some of the 5.25's improvements (adjustable backstraps), but imo didn't go far enough.

I think the 5.25 is the more competition-ready out of the box. However, the Glock has the superior aftermarket.

Both guns are, imo, excellent candidates for trigger jobs.

JaeOne3345
05-30-2012, 7:50 AM
www.brianenos.com

Visit those forums.

HighLander51
05-30-2012, 8:07 AM
If you are only going to get one Glock, then the G34 is the ticket for IDPA SSP and USPSA Production. Add some nice sights, like Heine's or Dawson Precision, Widerness Tactical belt, BladeTech holster, Blade Tech single mag pouches, at least 6 extra mags (you can only have 2 on your belt and one in the gun for IDPA), and Peltor Tac 6 electric ears, about 20,000 rounds of ammo, and you are good to go. Unless you have some competition experience, find a club near you that does competition classes.

VictorFranko
05-30-2012, 8:18 AM
I ordered a G34 on March 6, 2012, part of a "group buy" at a good discount.
Still hasn't come in, then I'll still have another 10 days when (if) it does.
I hate getting jerked around...........................

Paradiddle
05-30-2012, 8:49 AM
www.brianenos.com

Visit those forums.

+1

I run my CZ75. I think you should find a 9mm that fits you that you enjoy shooting instead of going with what all the other people run. Glocks are very popular because they are popular, and good solid guns, but I do not like shooting them and I don't shoot them well - hence my using a CZ.

Jeff

RoundEye
05-30-2012, 9:41 AM
I have been using a Beretta 90-two (.40) SSP, and an HK P2K, or G23 for the compact maches. I use the beretta because I shoot it well, and it's different from all the GLOCKs and 1911s that everyone else uses so if they ever find a lost mag they know it's mine.

As for caliber, I like the increased muzzle energy of the .40, but it would be cheaper to shoot a 9mm. I think follow can be pretty much equal with the proper load and training.

HighLander51
05-30-2012, 10:14 AM
As for caliber, I like the increased muzzle energy of the .40, but it would be cheaper to shoot a 9mm. I think follow can be pretty much equal with the proper load and training.

There is no point in running a major caliber in IDPA, unless it's CDP, which is .45acp, all the rest of the divisions have a minor floor. USPSA Production is scored all minor, so a 40S&W is still no advantage.

DRAB_81
05-30-2012, 11:12 AM
If you are only going to get one Glock, then the G34 is the ticket for IDPA SSP and USPSA Production. Add some nice sights, like Heine's or Dawson Precision, Widerness Tactical belt, BladeTech holster, Blade Tech single mag pouches, at least 6 extra mags (you can only have 2 on your belt and one in the gun for IDPA), and Peltor Tac 6 electric ears, about 20,000 rounds of ammo, and you are good to go. Unless you have some competition experience, find a club near you that does competition classes.

This^^^...

I started shooting IDPA with a G34, but found that I shoot better with my GEN 4 G17, so I sold the 34. I recently started shooting my GEN 4 G17 in USPSA Production class, and I got bitten by the competitive bug. I started shooting competition to get more rapid fire trigger time with my stock Glocks, but I gave in to my competitive side & started a Limited build. If you ever think you'll want to shoot Limited (major PF), go with a G35 or G22.

1911Luvr
05-30-2012, 11:22 AM
+1

I run my CZ75. I think you should find a 9mm that fits you that you enjoy shooting instead of going with what all the other people run. Glocks are very popular because they are popular, and good solid guns, but I do not like shooting them and I don't shoot them well - hence my using a CZ.

Jeff

Me too. My CZ75 fits my hand similarly to 1911s which I shoot best, so it was the natural choice for me.

Gryff
05-30-2012, 1:27 PM
The Glock 17/34 is the king of IDPA (outside of the 1911) primarily because of 1) Glock's share of the self-defense market, and 2) its safe action trigger pull means it's the same every time (and can be taken down to as low as 2#). The Glock also has a nice low bore axis, so perceived recoil is slightly less versus some other guns.

Glocks are great guns. It is just that their ergonomics are not right for some people. If you are willing to be open-minded and learn a new gun, a Glock 34 can be a great choice.

If you have the option, I would probably get the Gen4 because of the replaceable backstrap.

NewbieDave
05-30-2012, 2:43 PM
If you don't mind the SSE... look at the XDm 5.25 too. For me, it feels a little better then a regular XD or a G34.

cmace22
05-30-2012, 4:05 PM
I run a G34 gen 4 for IDPA. For me the larger mag release was a major factor in going gen 4. Mag changes are quick and easy with it even compared to my G19 gen 3 I run in compact matches.

SuperSet
05-30-2012, 8:50 PM
Agree with everything mentioned above, though I've recently switched to using only Ready Tactical mag pouches for both my AR and Glock. They're low profile, easy on/off and affordable (<$20).

nn3453
05-30-2012, 9:41 PM
I have been shooting IDPA with a Gen 3 Glock 34. Gen 4 didn't do much for me (I tried both, I still prefer my Gen 3). Skateboard tape or Tru Grip helps. I run a KKM barrel and have replaced factory sights with Dawson (fiber optic front) and did a cheap trigger job. A bright front sight is a lot faster to pick up than factory and unlike some fancy huge front sights on the market, it will still let you make those 20yd shots accurately.
I tried a CZ before I switched to the Glock. Damn thing was too heavy for 9mm but a lot of very good shooters shoot it (need lighter grips and perhaps other lightening mods for SSP), so it was personal preference.

The G34 is a fast gun. Fast trigger, fast when transitioning. In my limited IDPA experience, faster than most everything else. It is also different than other guns if you are used to 1911 style guns. You have to get used to the trigger and learn how to stage it. But it fits your hand like a glove once you get used to it. Whoever claims that Glock ergonomics suck haven't spent much time shooting one. They play with it at the store and put it down because it is too "plasticky."

Then again, almost everything is up to the shooter. Get used to spending on ammo, a lot more than what you spend on the gun...even if you reload, you will only end up shooting more :)

1911Luvr
05-30-2012, 10:32 PM
Whoever claims that Glock ergonomics suck haven't spent much time shooting one. They play with it at the store and put it down because it is too "plasticky."

Well, Glock ergonomics suck for me, and I'll gladly admit I haven't spent much time shooting them since I don't make it a point to waste my time shooting guns that don't fit me well or shoot well for me. Of course there are people that don't care for the 1911 ergonomics I so dearly love, so for these people I say try many different guns until you find what fits you well and shoots well for you. If that happens to be a Glock then more power to you, but no pistol is a perfect fit for everybody- no matter how much you personally love it...

M27
05-30-2012, 10:53 PM
For me I like the XDM 5.25 over the glock, like many have said, but no one has said why

I can get a higher grip on the 5.25 than the 34G4 which helps manage recoil and keep the sights on target

If you like the ergonomics of the glock pick up both the gen3 and gen4 and see if one feels better in your hand. If you don't have a opinion on the ergonomics then I would look at price and make an opinion on that.

I think what you are looking for in this whole thread (and this is second hand from me) the gen3 and gen4 shoot about the same.

cal3gunner
05-30-2012, 11:30 PM

1911Luvr
06-01-2012, 9:25 AM
This thread is full of good info.

Glocks are good guns. They were my first choice for competition but I've moved on to other guns. The advantage of a gen4 glock over a gen3 is the mag release. The problem with the extended mag release on the gen3 is it can be bumped when you are picking up the gun fast off a table or out of a box. When this happens, the mag falls out and you get one shot off and realize your mag is behind you on the ground. The gen4 mag release is easier for most people to reach but it doesn't get bumped on the table. The gen4 also points more natural for most people...it doesn't point high

I have had 3 XDMs and 1 XD of different sizes and calibers. I sold them all and I rarely sell a personal gun. I just didn't like the ergonomics and felt the barrel axis was too high.

I used to use a glock 17 for IDPA but now I use a M&P Pro. My gun is stock except the trigger job and springs. I think the M&P is a strong competitor to the Glock and worth looking at as a SSP or Production gun.

If you have the budget for it and want to shoot a really nice gun, get a quality 1911 9mm and shoot ESP. I'm building up a STI Trojan 9mm and its a lot more fun and easier to shoot than Glocks and M&Ps.

If you have a big budget, get a STI/SV double stack 1911 and you will have the best gun for ESP. Its easy to shoot and double stack mags are easier to reload.

Glocks are like honda accords, they are ugly but functional, they aren't going to win a race but will get you home safely.

Single stack and double stack 1911s are the Indy cars, they might take some tuning and some expensive parts, but once you get them dialed in, they are a blast to run and worth every penny.

^^^This