PDA

View Full Version : Anyone have a semi-custom "safe" installed in their vehicle?

Danz la Nuit
05-30-2012, 12:08 AM
Any companies in socal that do this for a reasonable price?

The idea would be to protect against any sort of parking lot smash & grab, keep a pistol & such inside.

Jicko
05-30-2012, 12:18 AM
Just mount one of Gun Vault's handgun safe some where.... under the seat or so...

http://www.gunvault.com/handgun-safes.html

HK Chef
05-30-2012, 12:19 AM
I would lobe to know as well this would be great to have

PoorRichRichard
05-30-2012, 12:21 AM
Just mount one of Gun Vault's handgun safe some where.... under the seat or so...

I've been thinking about this for a while... Any foreseeable legal issue(s) with this? Would ammo/loaded mag need to be in a separate safe?

Jicko
05-30-2012, 12:32 AM
I've been thinking about this for a while... Any foreseeable legal issue(s) with this? Would ammo/loaded mag need to be in a separate safe?

- those gunvaults qualified as a "locked container"

- a loaded magazine(that is not attached to the firearm) does not make a "loaded firearm"

- I do not recall any "legal requirements" to have loose ammo or loaded magazine in a "separate" container as the firearm

- as long as the firearm inside the above container is not "loaded", I think you are fine....

- you *may* not want to mount this container in your glove box or in your center console

* the above are official internet legal advice, use at your own risk *

toby77
05-30-2012, 12:34 AM
I need one of this too!

PoorRichRichard
05-30-2012, 1:06 AM
Jicko- good info. Thank you. I can see the possibility of an LEO stating that the mag is part of the gun, and using that as premiss for arrest. But another potential solution comes to mind: An empty revolver with a loaded speedloader, all encased in a car-mounted GunVault. Food for thought...

Jicko
05-30-2012, 1:29 AM
Jicko- good info. Thank you. I can see the possibility of an LEO stating that the mag is part of the gun, and using that as premiss for arrest. But another potential solution comes to mind: An empty revolver with a loaded speedloader, all encased in a car-mounted GunVault. Food for thought...

Just do not let them have the probable cause to and/or do not voluntarily allow to them to conduct a search of your vehicle

- do not tell them you have a gun in the car (just state that you have nothing illegal in the car)

- do not tell them that you are going TO or coming FROM a gun range or hunting trip

etc.. etc..

littlejake
05-30-2012, 3:30 AM
If one were to bolt it down, would that put it in the gray area of a utility compartment? And if made into a hidden compartment -- that would be unlawful.

Tiberius
05-30-2012, 8:54 AM
hidden compartments are illegal too?

I know some company makes a pretty slick insert for the center console on F150s on a few other vehicles - its a few hundred bucks, but a nice way to go. Unless, its an illegal hidden compartment - I doubt it since the compartment was already there.

jimsu
05-30-2012, 9:04 AM
Another thread on this: http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=554595&highlight=gunvault

Danz la Nuit
05-30-2012, 9:05 AM
*sigh* legality? WTF... I am trying to do the "safe" responsible thing...

I f**king hate you California...

ZombieTactics
05-30-2012, 9:12 AM
Here's a handy link to all these sorts of products on Amazon: GUNVAULT SAFES (http://www.amazon.com/mn/search/?_encoding=UTF8&tag=zombie0e-20&linkCode=ur2&camp=1789&creative=390957&field-keywords=gunvault&url=search-alias%3Daps)

Danz la Nuit
05-31-2012, 12:51 AM
I am surprised this isn't a more popular topic

Solidux
05-31-2012, 2:37 AM
You can have a loaded mag in the same container as the gun as long as the gun itself is not loaded.

I dont really recommend gunvaults in cars. Its literally saying "hey badguy, I have something really nice in this box. You just have to rip it out and its yours"

Sir Stunna Lot
05-31-2012, 5:44 AM
The gun vault is a great idea, i have one in each of my cars in case im somewhere that wont allow me to take my guns with me.

The gun vault comes with a metal cable that is used to loop around the seat rail. I stash it under the seat so no eyes from outside can even see its there.

It "isnt illegal" to carry your unloaded gun + amo/mag in the same gun vault

As for the glove compartment and center console idea, it is prefectly fine to keep a gun-vault in either location (but u gotta still find a way to anchor it to the vehicle whether using the metal cable or something else, to prevent snatching). however, the glove compartment and center console itself does not qualify as a locked container.

44fred
05-31-2012, 6:51 AM

I know some company makes a pretty slick insert for the center console on F150s on a few other vehicles - its a few hundred bucks, but a nice way to go. Unless, its an illegal hidden compartment - I doubt it since the compartment was already there.

This I believe is what you're talking about.

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Console-Vault/746918.uts?Ntk=AllProducts&searchPath=%2Fcatalog%2Fsearch%2F%3FD%3Dtruck%2Bco nsole%2Bsafe%26N%3D%26Ntk%3DAllProducts%26Ntt%3Dtr uck%2Bconsole%2Bsafe%26Ntx%3Dmode%252Bmatchallpart ial%26WTz_l%3DSearch%2BNo%2Bitems%2BFound%26form_s tate%3DsearchForm%26isLiberal%3DN%26search%3Dtruck %2Bconsole%2Bsafe%26searchTypeByFilter%3DAllProduc ts%26x%3D0%26y%3D0&Ntt=truck+console+safe&WTz_l=Search+No+items+Found

Danz la Nuit
05-31-2012, 9:08 AM
I dont really recommend gunvaults in cars. Its literally saying "hey badguy, I have something really nice in this box. You just have to rip it out and its yours"

The idea would be to put it in a location within the vehicle that would not be obviously visible to someone outside the vehicle looking in a window...

judokadonk
05-31-2012, 11:35 PM
I've been considering the same thing. I'd like something sturdier than a cable wrapped around the seat rail. I want something more secure like the FAS1 safe or Fort Knox Auto Safe bolted or welded into my car, that has the simplex locks. Would love to see what solutions other people have come up with.

KandyRedCoi
06-01-2012, 12:20 AM
sub'd

anyone can point the "legality" of mounting a locking vault in the glove or center console???

capturedlive
06-01-2012, 6:35 AM
My '72 GMC doesn't have a center console and I like easy access, so I just gutted an old CB radio and slid the face and mic back on. Fits a compact or subcompact Glock just fine.

Can't buy anything here
06-01-2012, 6:52 AM
Just put a re-elect Diane Fienstein or Barbara Boxer bumper sticker on your car...no one would ever think you had a gun in it...

Sir Stunna Lot
06-01-2012, 7:26 AM
sub'd

anyone can point the "legality" of mounting a locking vault in the glove or center console???

remember:
there is no such thing as a penal code that states the "legality" of any topic.
penal codes only states whats illegal.

with that said, the locking vault itself is an enclosed + locked container that is completely legal to carry an unloaded handgun regardless of where it is placed in a vehicle.

however, the glove compartment and center console do no qualify as a enclosed + locked container:

http://ag.ca.gov/firearms/dwcl/12020.php

The firearm is within a motor vehicle and it is locked in the vehicle's trunk or in a locked container in the vehicle other than the utility or glove compartment.

As used in this section, "locked container" means a secure container which is fully enclosed and locked by a padlock, key lock, combination lock, or similar locking device. The term "locked container" does not include the utility or glove compartment of a motor vehicle.

Danz la Nuit
06-01-2012, 9:22 AM
My '72 GMC doesn't have a center console and I like easy access, so I just gutted an old CB radio and slid the face and mic back on. Fits a compact or subcompact Glock just fine.

win.

TwinStick
06-01-2012, 9:45 AM

That's a great idea. The last thing you want is someone seeing a Pelican case in the back of your car. That screams "expensive items in here!!"

paul0660
06-01-2012, 9:52 AM

Never heard that one, and would like to know where littlejake read that.
As for the utility compartment thing, the wording of the statute and its history both indicate they mean the glove compartment and center console. The grey area is almost completely a creation of a subject matter expert on another site.