PDA

View Full Version : Compact 1911 - Which one would you get?!

TriggarHappy
05-29-2012, 11:41 PM
I'm currently in the market for a compact 1911 .45. I've been leaning towards stainless, this would be my first stainless purchase. I am having a little bit of a difficult time deciding between a Colt Defender Lightweight or a Kimber Ultra Carry II. The biggest thing I dislike about the Ultra Carry II are the plain sights without any dots. And on the Defender it would be the older flatter style strait/downward type of "duck bill" grip safety (not the upswept high grip beavertail pictured on their website) and sharper edges around the slide.
The Colt is used (2009 production) in very good condition and would be $800 from another Calgun member. The Ultra Carry, new at around $939.99 + tax. I have read tons of reviews about both but they havent helped me much in making a solid decision. Through some research I know that the beavertail may be easily changed, and if I choose to upgrade to night sights they may be harder to find for the Defender then the Kimber. I would like see some input and opinions about which one you would pick and why. If you have/had one or both of these, please include pros and cons you experienced. Thanks in advance!

Colt Defender Lightweight
http://www.coltsmfg.com/Catalog/ColtPistols/ColtDefenderSeries.aspx

Kimber Ultra Carry II
http://www.kimberamerica.com/1911/ultra-carry-ii/stainless-ultra-carry-ii

TriggarHappy
05-30-2012, 12:14 AM
Also, Id like to mention that I would get one of these with possibility of using it as a carry weapon. I decided at last second to throw in the 3rd choice of the Kimber Ultra CDP II for the hell of it if money wasnt as much of an issue. Along with that, if I were to get the Ultra CDP II, I would get only it. If I got the less expensive Colt Defender deal or possibly the Ultra Carry II, I may put the extra money towards a S&W M&P 40c or a XD sub compact 40.
IF you chose the Ultra CDP II on the poll, please let me know which one of the other two you wouldve chosen if that wasnt an option. Thanks! :-)

tacticalcity
05-30-2012, 12:33 AM
Wilson Combat makes one that would be nice if I had money to burn. But I would be pleased with any of the guns on your list.

sd_fox_racer
05-30-2012, 4:29 AM
you dont like the look of the kimber ultra covert? thats what im getting next

The War Wagon
05-30-2012, 5:57 AM
I got an Ultra Covert II, as part of a trade (my POF-415, and his UC II + cash), and figured I was going to sell it. Never got any takers, decided to keep it, and have been pleasantly surprised at the quality of it!

Added an ambi-safety to mine. I'm not a lefty - I just LIKE ambi-safeties. Thankfully, Kimber MAKES one that fits around the Crimson Trace grips!

http://i212.photobucket.com/albums/cc305/The_War_Wagon/KimberUCII-1.jpg
http://i212.photobucket.com/albums/cc305/The_War_Wagon/KimberUCII.jpg

Otherwise, she has everything you'd want! :D

TriggarHappy
05-30-2012, 6:18 AM
Thank you to thise that have voted and replied with some input.
Yes, I will agree that the Ultra Covert II is very nice. At the moment Im not totally feeling the looks of the grip it comes with those.
With that being said please vote from the ones currently listed while giving any pros and cons about the choices if youve had first hand experience with them. And if possible, if you chose the Ultra CDP, please also give an opinion of which two you wouldve chosen if the Ultra CDP II wasnt in the mix. Thanks!

Zula
05-30-2012, 6:20 AM
Defender all the way. It has the best track record of all the compact 1911s and is certain to retain its value better than the others too.

Press Check
05-30-2012, 6:44 AM
Colt, but I'd be considering the Springfield Ultra Compact as well.

tdyoung1958
05-30-2012, 6:57 AM
Detonics Combat Master

The original and only "real" compact 1911. It was good enough for the SAS and CIA

den888
05-30-2012, 7:59 AM
Colt Defender

guitargeak99
05-30-2012, 8:07 AM
I don't know where you're getting the $939 price tag for a Kimber Ultra Carry II.
I got mine about a year ago from Alquist Arms - price tag was $805 brand new. At the same time Outdoor Sportsman in Stockton had a new one for $825.
Anyway, I have had zero problems with mine.
Two friends of mine have Ultra Carrys and have also had perfect reliability.
My father-in-law has had nothing but problems with his Colt Defender - from reliability, to it shooting to the left about 6" @ 25'. He sent it back to Colt and they have had it for about 4 months.
However, I do think Colt makes a good product and that my father-in-law just happened to get a "lemon".
Good luck

jlbflyboy172
05-30-2012, 8:29 AM
+1 for the Springfield Ultra Compact. All of the others are series 80 style with additional trigger safety (except the higher end customs like Wilson or Night Hawk). I much prefer a series 70 style weapon and the Springfield is already setup that way. It is a better Colt.

TriggarHappy
05-30-2012, 8:54 AM
Great feedback so far everyone, thank you!
Guitarguy99- that price seems to be around normal for the stainless version. They usually run a little higher then the black models.
I have also taken into consideration the Springfield Micro Compact for its smaller size and weight. but i will give the Springfield Ultra Compact another look.

ILVSMOG
05-30-2012, 9:31 AM
I have a Springfield Ultra Compact and I would definitely recommend it! It's in the same price range you're looking at, has tritium night sights, high beaver tail, series 70 style trigger, ramped barrel, you name it. Mine's stainless and has held up very well.

Legasat
05-30-2012, 9:37 AM
Love the CDP.

SJgunguy24
05-30-2012, 10:42 AM
I have a colt 1991 compact, it's the same thing as the officers model. I would steer towards something with a steel frame. The 45 acp recoils pretty well out of a small barrel like that and taking weight away only add's to the recoil. I thought my Colt was a pig but after a little work it ends up being something I'll trust my life with.

Farrier-1
05-30-2012, 11:38 AM
I just aquired my CDP2 and love it.

400 rounds fired and no issues whatsoever.

It's still not considered broken in yet but accuracy is awsome for it's intended purpose.

TriggarHappy
05-30-2012, 5:56 PM
Thank you to everyone that has replied. Some of which have been helpful. The Colt seems to be in the lead with votes and good response to go with them. With so many great choises out there, it make make hard to choose. I will be checking out the Colt tomorrow afternoon. :-)

Zula
05-30-2012, 6:40 PM
Para Ordnance Warthog or Slim Hawg might be worth a look too.

ZX-10R
05-30-2012, 6:42 PM
Defender all the way. It has the best track record of all the compact 1911s and is certain to retain its value better than the others too.

This is the answer by a mile.

TriggarHappy
05-30-2012, 6:55 PM
Zula - It would have to be the slim hawg if I considered the two. The double stack mag of the Warthog was just to fat for my liking if it were to ever possibly be used for CCW. i did find a Slim Hawg locally at a shop that had it at a great price. But just wasn't feeling it for some reason. Maybe it was the fiber optic front sight, not sure. But has the features and is a good candidate none the less.

nick
05-30-2012, 7:01 PM
I'd get a Dan Wesson CBOB or VBOB. Well, I did, and I couldn't be happier. All the bells and whistles are already there. And it's a reliable and accurate gun with nice Trijicon night sights and a great trigger, the way 1911 triggers are supposed to be.

cfusionpm
05-30-2012, 8:27 PM
The Para Warthog! 10 rounds double stack, 6.5x4.5"

http://cdn5.thefirearmsblog.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2012/01/para_warthog-tfb.jpg

http://www.para-usa.com/new/product_pistol.php?id=8

Bobby Hated
05-30-2012, 8:32 PM
i was in the same boat a few months ago. i went with the Colt because i wouldnt trust my life to a Kimber, and the defender accepts standard 1911 mags so my reload is 10 rounds.

it it cycles critical defense loads which is good enough for me. it doesnt like hydra-shoks, which i prefer, but the hornady ammo is good enough to get the job done.

johnny_boy02
05-30-2012, 8:36 PM
I just sold my my Ultra CDP II. Not because there was anything wrong but because I decided carrying a 1911 was not for me and because I needed the money.

I loved that gun. It functioned perfectly and was a damn tack driver for its size.

BJU2bones
05-30-2012, 8:40 PM
I trust my life with my COLTs, an Officers Model in stainless as well as a full size 1911. But I sure do like the HK USP compact I just picked up. For the budget you're talking you should at least take a close look, if you can find one in .45.
:D
Just became my new favorite!

Zula
05-30-2012, 8:50 PM
Zula - It would have to be the slim hawg if I considered the two. The double stack mag of the Warthog was just to fat for my liking if it were to ever possibly be used for CCW. i did find a Slim Hawg locally at a shop that had it at a great price. But just wasn't feeling it for some reason. Maybe it was the fiber optic front sight, not sure. But has the features and is a good candidate none the less.

I really like the chunky look of the warthog, but the slim hawg is a very attractive pistol as well. The reviews are very mixed on these models, some terrible, some great. I might take a shot on one if I can find one in the classifieds at a good price, but I don't think I'd pay new pricing on one. The black finishes on the Para pistols looks great when new, but wears very poorly, so best to go for stainless.
I stick with my statement if you are buying new. Just buy the Colt, you'll be second guessing yourself if you don't, imo.

TriggarHappy
05-30-2012, 8:55 PM
Bobby - I wasnt aware that the Colt Defender can accept standard mags. I like that!

By this point ive come to the conclusion that I dont think I would get the Ultra CDP II. For that amount of money I think i may be happy with the Defender and putting whatever extra money The CDP wouldve cost and putting toward another purchase. Most likely a compact/sub compact polymer type in 40s&w. I like the full size versions of the M&P 40 (I have) & XD40 (my dad has). So I may check those out closer.

TriggarHappy
06-01-2012, 6:43 PM
Checked out a Colt Defender yesterday that another calgunner was thinking about selling. She was really nice and well taken care of. I went ahead and did a PPT started DROS. Looking forward to getting it out of jail! :-) Thank you to everyone that participated in the short pole and gave good and relevant feedback!