PDA

View Full Version : Weatherby PA-08 Questions

Victor346
05-29-2012, 9:05 PM
It's on sale at my local Big 5 for 299+Dros/taxes. Puts it at about 350 out the door.

I've never held a Weatherby before today but it felt much like an 870. I'm thinking that at 299 its a bargain for the gun but what do you guys think?

It's got the 28" barrel and comes with a few chokes.

I had them hold it for me for a few days while I think about if I really want to go ahead and buy it. The only bad thing is that it has a synthetic stock and I've been wanting one with wood finish.

ogarcia_02
05-29-2012, 10:06 PM
I got the wood stock model back in December for about $400 otd. You don't find too much about it on forums but I love mine. So far I've put close to 1000 rounds through it without a problem. I was stuck between my PA-08 and an 870 but read about some issues about it and having to polish the barrel etc. so I took a gamble with the Weatherby.

Finish is good on mine, the wood is really nice for the price. I was going to get the synthetic stock but got lucky and found a Big 5 that had the wood model for about $30 more. I would say to go for it unless you want the wood stock, if so it's worth waiting for. I'll post some pics later to help you make up your mind.

Victor346
05-29-2012, 10:36 PM
they had the wood stock version in stock but it was priced $60 more. Wood furniture looked amazing for the price. It was nice, shiny and had a reddish brown color to it. Not dull and faded like the mossberg or 870.

a1c
05-29-2012, 10:40 PM
I got one of these from a Calgunner who won it at a raffle. Great shotgun for the price. This is a very good all-around shotgun, with beautiful Turkish-made furniture, which I've used to hunt jacks, upland birds and turkeys, and do some casual trap shooting. Great value.

Victor346
05-30-2012, 11:08 AM
Wow, there really isn't a whole lot of info or there on these other than manufacturer specs. I'd like to get some more personal opinions. :)

Victor346
05-31-2012, 5:32 PM
anyone else own one? I found the rem 870 express for 299 today. I well make my final decision tomorrow but after reading about so many quality control issues with Remington in general, I'm leaving towards the Wetherby.

ogarcia_02
05-31-2012, 9:57 PM
I went with the Weatherby because of the beautiful walnut on it, with the 870 express its either laminate or synthetic. That or you have to find parts for it and replace them. One thing I will tell you though is that to get another barrel (18") you have to send in your gun to have them fitted. At least that's what the customer service personnel has told me the 2 times that I've called.