PDA

View Full Version : Magpul rear BUIS or Carry Handle?

Mossy Man
05-29-2012, 8:01 PM
Which is going to be better for straight irons only?

I recently jailed an S&W M&P 15 Sport, and it comes with MBUIS. I'm going to be trying to KISS with this rifle, so I'd like to get a better rear sight.

I like the carry handle look and I think it has its own utility. I'll be using the specter gear 2-point sling, so it will pretty much look like this:

http://www.spectergear.com/v/vspfiles/photos/535-2.jpg

Any suggestions on a decent Carry Handle that will be more accurate than a MBUIS and also maybe match the finish on my rifle?

My guess is the carry handle which is a fixed sight with both windage/elevation adjustments and possibly a smaller aperture will be more accurate

Thanks

scglock
05-29-2012, 8:09 PM
If you don't plan on putting optics on it I would go with a carry handle. My uncle just picked up a m&p15 sport and the mbuis it came with seems like junk but I might just be spoiled from my troy buis. As for finish, you're probably going to have to go to your lgs and try different ones to see if they match, but they're all relatively close.

G60
05-29-2012, 8:21 PM
Carry handles rock. Or a chopped down carry handle style iron like LMT irons:
http://home.comcast.net/~mattmcginnis/lmt_sights-1.jpg

I haven't ordered from this place, but they say these are genuine colt carry handles:
http://www.surplusammo.com/colt-a3-style-removable-carry-handle-with-1-2-m-o-a-rear-sight/

Carry handle sights won't really be 'more accurate' than MBUS, since the apertures are the same size I believe, but you can adjust for elevation, and quality irons are far and away much better quality and much more enjoyable to use than MBUS. I had a set of MBUS, and felt they were only adequate as a true backup sight, or on a .22lr, not as a primary sighting system.

You can get a carry handle sight upgraded to a national match style, which I believe gives you more precise adjustments and smaller aperture options.

Mossy Man
05-29-2012, 8:31 PM
my best friend has the same rifle...except his is all Magpul MOE'd out and with optics.

I want to make mine a little different, at least

And I think i shoot better with irons anyway plus they never run out of batteries

MrPlink
05-29-2012, 10:05 PM
I agree with G60, carry handle or a quality fixed rear, like the lmt.

marcus_bervus
05-30-2012, 12:51 AM
+1 on carry handles

http://i767.photobucket.com/albums/xx316/erica_ebarle/4%20sale/DSCN7143.jpg

Jicko
05-30-2012, 1:34 AM
Carry Handle is great.... for shooting, as well as for carrying the rifle... :D

Just don't go with MBUS.... for one, they are "BUS"... not intended to be your "primary".... 2nd, they are not too "durable".... as compare to carry handle, LMT fixed rear, DD fixed rear, Troy fixed rear etc....

pyro3k2
05-30-2012, 2:17 AM
not sure why this is but I prefer the carry handle for any type of fix sight. But all of my folders are MI sights.

IPSICK
05-30-2012, 3:27 AM
I started off with a carry handle but now I realize you give up a lot in versatility by putting on a big honker of a carry handle.

If I were you, I'd go with a Troy folding rear or Daniel Defense fixed or Yankee Hill fixed (in case you absolutely have to have an elevation dial on your rear).

TAK
05-30-2012, 8:12 AM
Another good thing about the carry handle is the rear sights have a peep sight and an 02 sight. So you have longer ranged precise shooting and the option for fast target acquisition closer shooting.

IPSICK
05-30-2012, 8:24 AM
Another good thing about the carry handle is the rear sights have a peep sight and an 02 sight. So you have longer ranged precise shooting and the option for fast target acquisition closer shooting.

Which rear irons don't have that? Maybe a NM rear?

nitroxdiver
05-30-2012, 8:28 AM
Carry handle or LMT all day over a mbus for me. Google revised improved battlesight zero.
(RIBZ) it's a simple adjustment mod to the carry handle sight. Works very well.

nitroxdiver
05-30-2012, 8:28 AM
Double tap

darqhelmet
05-30-2012, 2:07 PM
For a KISS rifle get the carrying handle.

TAK
05-30-2012, 2:28 PM
Which rear irons don't have that? Maybe a NM rear?

Magpul BUIS

Standard
05-30-2012, 2:33 PM
Carry handle, definitely.

G60
05-30-2012, 2:44 PM
My MBUS had dual apertures, maybe you got an air soft set.

IPSICK
05-30-2012, 2:48 PM
Magpul BUIS

Ok. But carry handles don't exclusively have both the fine peep and the 0-2 peep.

I'm still arguing against the carry handle because it limits your flexibility in adding optics later. However, that doesn't mean I am advocating for the MBUS.

G60
05-30-2012, 3:08 PM
A detachable carry handle doesn't really limit your options. Sure, you'll have to ditch it if you choose an optic later, but that's just a matter of loosening a couple thumb screws.

NorCalDustin
05-30-2012, 3:15 PM
Go with a folding backup sight... Magpul, Troy, etc... Whatever...

loosewreck
05-30-2012, 3:22 PM
I like the way the channel in the carry handle directs the eye to the front sight, and the overall look. However, it does add some weight.

LaRue and Daniel Defense make a nice fixed sight if you wanna shed some weight.

If you plan on getting optics in the future, a flip-up BUIS of some sort may be a better idea in the meantime, even the MBUS (IMO).

Maddog5150
05-30-2012, 3:33 PM
why does everyone love the plastic magpul sights?

OP, apples and oranges, if you want to learn how to shoot, then go with the carry handle till you graduate to optics. If you want to ninja out your rifle then go with cheap low quality magpul crap and hang whatever you want off it ;)

DIRTMAN556
05-30-2012, 4:21 PM
Here is an idea.

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/attachment.php?attachmentid=152294&stc=1&d=1338419975

Don't get the plastic Magpul sights. Plastic is not good for sights. Like the guys said LMT/DD fixed or Troy Flips.

xpbprox
05-30-2012, 4:27 PM
RRA makes great irons aswell

tacticalcity
05-30-2012, 4:34 PM
Neither.

The magpul plastic rear buis is not as strong as a metal sight and tends to break in half when too much stress is put on the base. Simply trying to remove it after you install it, or installing it with too much torque is enough to crack it. Plus the rear apature is not always perfectly formed and thus it becomes difficult to actually use.

The rear charging handle will scar your rail. Meaning it will cause two wear points where it attaches. When you later replace it with a flip-up rear sight and red dot, those wear points won't totally be covered. You'll get a lot more wear and tear when you shoot it and train with it. But not in those spots. It just seems like unnecessary damage to the upper if you don't plan on keeping the carry handle forever. That said, if you like the carry handle look, it is an excellent sight all on its own.

I would go with a metal rear sight. My preferrence is Troy Industries. Well worth the price.

Two examples of the Troy Flip-Up Rear Buis called a BattleSight.
http://i256.photobucket.com/albums/hh183/tacticalcity/My%20AR-15s/Tactical_Collection.jpg

Solidux
05-30-2012, 4:39 PM
RRA makes a great low profile carry handle...even though theres no place to grab it as a carry handle...

Mossy Man
05-30-2012, 4:39 PM
i suppose i can just use the MBUIS until i break them.

They do, after all, come with the rifle and were included in the price.

Maybe later on down the road i'll figure out what I want.

tacticalcity
05-30-2012, 4:43 PM
i suppose i can just use the MBUIS until i break them.

They do, after all, come with the rifle and were included in the price.

Maybe later on down the road i'll figure out what I want.

Sounds like a plan to me. Spend your money on ammo and range fees. I'm a big fan of "if it ain't broke don't fix it".

bombadillo
05-30-2012, 4:43 PM
Carry handle with a KAC ultra fine front sight post.

G60
05-30-2012, 8:05 PM
The rear charging handle will scar your rail. Meaning it will cause two wear points where it attaches. When you later replace it with a flip-up rear sight and red dot, those wear points won't totally be covered. You'll get a lot more wear and tear when you shoot it and train with it. But not in those spots. It just seems like unnecessary damage to the upper if you don't plan on keeping the carry handle forever.

Seriously? :facepalm:

DIRTMAN556
05-30-2012, 8:14 PM
Neither.

The rear charging handle will scar your rail. Meaning it will cause two wear points where it attaches. When you later replace it with a flip-up rear sight and red dot, those wear points won't totally be covered. You'll get a lot more wear and tear when you shoot it and train with it. But not in those spots. It just seems like unnecessary damage to the upper if you don't plan on keeping the carry handle forever. That said, if you like the carry handle look, it is an excellent sight all on its own.

At first I was trying to figure out how the "rear charging handle" was going to damage the picatinny's. Since it NEVER touches them. The after some thought, surely you meant the carrying handle?

Your point being that bolts where the charging handle attach to the upper receiver's picatinny rails will over time scar them.

aplinker
05-30-2012, 8:52 PM
Shoot it. Stop worrying about what's "best." You already have sights, how do you know what YOU will like without trying them?

Internet bozos all have their opinion. Make your own. Most people at the range will happily let you fire or handle their rifle if you see something you're curious about. Go run or watch a tactical rifle or 3-gun match. Ask questions.

smittty
05-30-2012, 9:11 PM
Why add the weight of a carry handle just to have a fixed rear sight and when will you ever carry it by the carry handle?

The DD A1.5 fixed rear sight would look good.

Agent 0range
05-30-2012, 9:23 PM
+1 for Troy Battle sight. I used a carry handle for a while and prefer that look, but once I could afford the optics I wanted, it was time to go. I say use the Magpul sights since they come with the rifle. Once they break, then decide whether you want a carry handle or upgrade to Troy or maybe DD.

Atekhed
05-30-2012, 9:42 PM
I'd agree use the MBUS as is or get an LMT or DD fixed rear. I found a near new LMT fixed rear in the Marketplace a while back for a good price. I've seen reasonably priced DD 1.5's there too occasionally.

Carry handle is nice until you want to use an optic of any sort.

DIRTMAN556
06-02-2012, 10:09 PM
Why add the weight of a carry handle just to have a fixed rear sight and when will you ever carry it by the carry handle?

The DD A1.5 fixed rear sight would look good.

True, something to think about. I carry it by the handle all the time.

I'd agree use the MBUS as is or get an LMT or DD fixed rear. I found a near new LMT fixed rear in the Marketplace a while back for a good price. I've seen reasonably priced DD 1.5's there too occasionally.

Carry handle is nice until you want to use an optic of any sort.

Not necessarily, I mount a magnified optic on top of the carry handle. Granted, this is not for everyone. But it works for me.

See what works best for YOU.

bombadillo
06-03-2012, 8:32 AM
Just make sure you get both windage and elevation. You'll regret it later when you're holding over/under, or adjusting the FSP.

bombadillo
06-03-2012, 9:05 AM
WOW, Post from Aplinker, I thought you died :D

r8dr rider
06-03-2012, 9:35 AM
Maybe this will help. Here's a pic of my M4 style with a carry handle. This is my KISS carbine.

http://imgur.com/3jjCF.jpg