PDA

View Full Version : Raddlock to el natural?

driveljay
05-29-2012, 6:04 PM
Now that I've moved out of california, what are my options for getting rid of the raddlock on my ak? Can I just buy an original mag catch and use the radd pin and spring? Or do I need a new pin latch and spring? My google fu is weak as I only have net access on the droid.
Thanks

stix213
05-29-2012, 6:22 PM
A new spring and pivot pin cost me $5 from K-VAR last time I ordered one of each. Not sure if you need them when swapping out a raddlock, but it isn't exactly breaking the bank. Mag catch was another $6, and came with a temporary screw type pin which has worked so well I haven't even bothered swapping to the real pin and expect I never will (2000 rounds since without even having to tighten it).

I swapped back in a real mag release when I went featureless.

IEatZ28
05-29-2012, 7:30 PM
The raddlock shoulda came with an extended lever to go to and from that and the lock.

tujungatoes
05-29-2012, 9:41 PM
you'll need an original mag catch spring and(if you want to do it right) pin. You can re-assemble it with the raddlock pin too. It just depends on how correct you want it to be.

It can be a PITA installing a mag catch and getting everything to line up. The spring is very stiff. I use a piece of 1/8" welding rod with a bit of a point on it(a small punch or similar object works just as well) to get everything mostly lined up(wiggle as needed). Then push it back out with the pin and flare the pin ends with a ball peen hammer. 1/4" steel ball bearings and a vice does a real good job of flaring the pin too.

There is definitely the possibility of flying springs. Wear safety glasses.

The raddlock shoulda came with an extended lever to go to and from that and the lock.

That's a relatively new addition. None of my raddlocks came with that.

driveljay
05-30-2012, 6:09 AM
Thanks all. I wasn't concerned about breaking the bank, but for some reason I thought the pin hole was made bigger for the raddlock. I bought the particular rifle in question with the radd installed and was concerned more about fitment of original pieces.

Tujungatoes, thank you for the specifics. Greatly appreciated.