PDA

View Full Version : Decent price?

CK_32
05-29-2012, 5:53 PM
This sound like a good deal?

Lookin at picking up a 870 express magnum with some goodies off a buddy.

Included
870 express (matte grey)
Blackhawks spec ops pistol grip stock
Factory stock
Black hawk spec ops forend
Hoage forend
New spring and follower
7+1 extended mag
Stream light polytechnic light with standard mount

Gun is in good condition accept some recieved screws have some wear around them from saddle and some scrapes for cheaper light mount before this one on mag tube. Other than that in good condition.

$365 sound fair for that?

I kow it's not a smashing deal but is it fair on my end?

It's in the same configuration as the express synthetic 870 from Remington which MSRP for $650 + tac light and normal 870 parts.

I posted on another forum but of course in other states that's crazy high as some people were saying they could snag that for $150 to $200 all day. But I've yet to see a 870 around here posted less than $350 for just the shotgun it self.

I understand once every blue moon we all get a crazy deal that's half of what it could have gone for but you guys think this is a decent to fair price?

CK_32
05-30-2012, 9:50 AM
No one can speak on it being a good deal or not?

frankm
05-30-2012, 2:35 PM
If the extra stuff is worth it to you, it's a fine price. For me, it's close to a new 870 in price for 400 without the extras, but I'm not interested in extras. Personally, I'd offer him 350.

BigDogatPlay
05-30-2012, 2:55 PM
Big 5 has the 870 Express they label as the "Security" model on sale this week for $389 before tax and DROS. Bead sight, two shot mag extension and black synthetic furniture. Once that gun goes out the door the used value is ~$275 depending on condition. Once it's been fired some and scuffed up, it's just another shotgun to me and I pay accordingly.

If the gun is 7+1 then it's more likely a 20 inch barrel with a three shot extension. Not a huge difference from the Big 5 sale gun but there it is.

There's a couple hundred dollars in parts being thrown in the deal so if those interest you, then I'd agree with frankm, it's not a bad deal. I'm not a fan of the Spec Ops stock, but that's just a me thing. I'd offer at most $300 for the gun with the OEM furniture and Hogue fore end, seller can keep the Spec Ops stuff and try to get his money out of it. The light and mount I'd have to see before I'd say one way or the other on it.

stkcode
05-30-2012, 3:18 PM
It sounds like an ok deal, if you into all the tacti-cool stuff. Personally, with exception of a few components, all those add on gizmos don't add much in value to the firearm imo.

But one of the things in looking at buying used firearms, is that prices vary a lot by region. A lot of the used firearms I've been looking at lately have been priced higher then I can get them new from my local gun shop. So if firearms sell for those prices in your area, then I don't see it as a bad buy either.

CK_32
05-30-2012, 3:18 PM
I'm probably going to sell the stock and put the factory back on maybe ghost sights but all the stuff he has with it I've wanted to try that stock so it will save me $$ from buying one even if I sell it I might go even and not lose too much. And it's a 18.5" so 6+1 or what ever it is. And I was going to get a cheap light for it for HD another thing I won't have to go out and buy. But that's how I felt it was a decent deal nothing amazing. Just wanted to get others opinions.

webster-dl
06-02-2012, 12:29 PM
My $0.02: Sounds like a reasonable deal. As for me, I really like the recoil-absorbent SpecOps stocks -- they actually do work, and help get back on target quickly, and help keep you from getting beat up...which helps you to get more time in with the shotgun.

From my perspective, it's a good deal...I think most of all that stuff is useful. And if you get it before 1/1/2014, you will only need to DROS -- no forced registration.

BTW: The way our state is going, with the colossal budget shortfall, and the wording of the AB that allowed long gun registration -- it is likely they will use DROS as another avenue of income generation. I suspect that we may see an increase in DROS fees...after all, Sacramento's position is that none of us need to have any guns; it is a luxury at best, and more likely a sociopathic vice. So...tax it out of existence. $200 DROS, anyone?

Sorry...just reread that. That's a thread hijack, no? Back to your regularly scheduled programming...

CK_32
06-02-2012, 2:36 PM
Yea I just came back from the gun show and there was no deals shotgun prices have gone way up! Best up ol 870s were going for like $350 and had sold tags on them there were no deals there. I should have jumped on the shotgun ship when they were $300 new at turners a few years back.

Appariently 870s are holding value a little more than they use to because I'm getting a pretty good deal from what I saw today. One of my buddies friends we were with is from TX and bought a brand new 870 tac from a friend 3 years ago for $125 and he said new they were $250 I told him buy me one I'll pay $300 he gave his buddy a call and appariently even there they are going for $420 now.

Amazing how times change. And yes I heard something about that bs and trying to get rid of shot guns.. This state is getting ridiculous.

zfields
06-03-2012, 9:44 AM
I've always thought shotguns were under priced compared to handguns and rifles, but asking almost new price for a used 870 is ridiculous.

aippi
06-03-2012, 10:17 AM
Any used firearm has to be price far lower then a new one for the simple fact that new ones come with a warranty. Take an 870 to a gun smith for work one time and you have just made up the difference you saved from buying used. Take that into account when buying any used weapon. If you have the skill, equipment and tools to work on this weapon then it may be a good deal, but let one thing happen in the next two years and you loose.

CK_32
06-03-2012, 11:50 AM
Yea I just went with my buddy's 870. Yea the gun show all together really let me down. I didn't see any deals what so ever and people were still buying stuff.

zfields
06-03-2012, 11:55 AM
CA gun shows generally suck.

Not that TX one's are great either though.

CK_32
06-03-2012, 3:00 PM
Yea I see all these people on the rifle forum talking about how great gun shows were for ammo and guys at the show talking about how amazing these prices were but I didn't see anything good. I was thinking maybe on Sunday they drop price to get rid of stock maybe but on Saturday there was nothing.

barca101
06-03-2012, 3:25 PM
CK 32, I purchased my 870 Express Magnum from a co worker of mine for 200 just b/c he had one and wanted to get rid of it. I would say that is a good deal. I changed out alot of the parts like a Mesa Tactical LEO endine stock, 6 rd sureshot sidesadle and a Speedfeed LE forend so I can fit the side saddle. If I added it all up with the price your purchasing it for, it's a good deal.

Just change out the 3 parts that aippi suggest all you will be all good!