PDA

View Full Version : HOW TO ACCURIZE THE NHM91

10xhobby
05-29-2012, 2:39 PM
Hi. Is there any tricks to making an NHM91 more accurate out to 100 yards ??? If not the gun how about the ammo ?
thanks for any help

Richard Erichsen
05-29-2012, 3:03 PM
They are typically regarded as being among the more accurate AKs. Is there something about the rifle that isn't meeting your expectations? It should achieve better than 4MOA at 100 meters.

First, adjust the loose nut behind the trigger (the shooter). Most problems with accuracy are found here. ;)

Next, use quality ammunition. Yugo M67 milsurp, Golden Tiger (Vympel), Lapua FMJ, Fiocchi FMJ, Hornady. Try to evaluate as many 20 round boxes from as many brands as you can until you find one that works well.

Good luck.

R

10xhobby
06-02-2012, 2:36 PM
Well the gun is shooting 3.5 to 4.0 inches @ 100yards. I should try some better ammo.

10xhobby
06-02-2012, 2:40 PM
Any good reloading recipes out there ?? I know the .311 bullet choice is limited but finding a load combination the gun likes might help.

Richard Erichsen
06-03-2012, 8:53 AM
Any good reloading recipes out there ?? I know the .311 bullet choice is limited but finding a load combination the gun likes might help.

There are some good bullets in .311 if you know where to look with weights from 108 (all copper HPs) to 160 grain hard cast bullet molds. The question becomes whether reloading makes as much sense as just buying commercially. Quite a few companies make quality 7.62x39 mm ammo, but like most things, you get what you pay for.

Quite a few loadbooks out there (Midway, Brownells and even Ebay are selling some right now). Pet loads are available online (somewhat less trustworthy for obvious reasons) in many of the usual spots. Brass is the other part of the equation, with good brass costing as much as brand new Russian steel cased ammo that is ready to go. You may want to go through the commercial loads first and then decide if reloading makes sense.

R

Richard Erichsen
06-03-2012, 8:54 AM
Well the gun is shooting 3.5 to 4.0 inches @ 100yards. I should try some better ammo.

Was the rifle brand new when you bought it? What sort of rest are you using and what sort of accuracy are you getting from your other rifles on the same rest? How many rounds down the pipe at this point? Is the barrel bore/chamber chrome lined? You may not like the answer, but a fairly typical group at 100 yards is in the ballpark you have above. Shrinking it could be trigger control as much as ammo selection rather than a "problem" with the barrel or headspacing per se.

R

6mmintl
06-03-2012, 4:41 PM
Unfortunately your AK is not an accuracy platform according to some on this forum, I believe it can shoot better if you handload with different/heavier bullets, and try different iron sights mounted on the back of the recievers to give you a longer sight radius.

Then there is the accuracy requirements you think you want to attain or the type of shooting you want to do that will define what you can do with your platform.

I shoot an Model one AR 20" out to 500 meters and it is a 1.5 MOA gun with handloads with 150 grain bullets. I also have a VZ24 mauser in 7.62x39 Lapua chamber with a 1x10" twist Kreiger .308" barrel that is a 1/2"/MOA gun with 135/155 Sierra Match King bullets that I shoot out to 800 yards.

Come out and shoot the Mil surp silouette rifle match at Sacramento the third Sat of every month if your in the bay/norcal area. I would be more then happy to help with handloading options and coaching.

The Yugo M67 surplus ammo is pretty good stuff out to 500 yards.

KAIFS
06-04-2012, 3:06 PM
AK is not a group gun... With that said, so they said about SKS. Well, out of 7 SKSes I have owned, I had one Yugo (non-chromium lined) that was just shooting good every time - bubba the heck out of it and with a choate scope and mount had a MOA pretty much consistently with 154SP wolf. Is it common - NO, but there are AK out there that can do really well with good optics however, it is NOT common. your 4MOA is pretty much a standard for the battle rifle as such.

10xhobby
06-05-2012, 6:24 PM
Well I am disappointed with the fact that my NHM91 is not going to shoot as well as I had hoped. Thanks for the comments and information. I will still be taking it to the range because it is a lot of fun to shoot and maybe try a few matches just for fun.
6mmintl, the mil surp silouette match sounds fun, can you get me more info on what I might expect. Thanks