PDA

View Full Version : Right-handed with Left Eye Dominance

anndreww
05-29-2012, 2:25 PM
I'm looking in to getting a CZ-75 (or 85) as my first handgun, but I have found myself in a bit of a dilemma. Based on my eye-dominance, should I just get the 75 and adjust, or do I need to get the ambidextrous 85?

Lead Waster
05-29-2012, 2:36 PM
I am left eye dominant and right handed. I shoot with my right hand, I just turn my head a little and CLOSE my right eye. I do this with my CZ75 -SP01 AND I use the thumbs forward grip and isoceles stance.

If you shoot with a Weaver stance, you might have more trouble, but it should still work I think.

Do you plan to shoot lefty, but you are right handed?

For rifles, and shotguns, I shoot lefty, even though I'm right handed, but on long guns, it makes more of a difference because you are mounting the gun to your shoulder. For me, I started doing that with BB guns when I was 12 so it's natural for me now. And with a rifle, the trigger pull with the gun mounted has less effect on accuracy, unlike a handgun where only your two hands control the gun.

paul0660
05-29-2012, 2:39 PM
Modified gangsta will work. Seriously. Just tilt it a bit.

pc_load_letter
05-29-2012, 2:45 PM
Right handed with dominant left eye....

Learning to shoot with both eyes open has worked great for me.

DrScorpio
05-29-2012, 3:00 PM
Im also left eye dominant and right handed. There should be no issue with shooting with both eyes open. The only real thing that is different is that you will probably be holding your handgun a bit more to the left of your right eye dominant, right handed buddies.

bac0n16
05-29-2012, 3:07 PM
I'm in the same boat with you being right handed and left eye dominant. When shooting handguns I still shoot with my right hand, still have to turn my head just slightly to be able to shoot properly. I've been trying to shoot with both eyes open, it's a working progress but practice makes perfect.

As for shotguns and rifles, I simply can't shoot right handed because of how the stock is fixed on your shoulder. There's no way in heck I can aim down the sight being left eye dominant. So for those I choose to shoot left handed and has never bothered me. My friends always looks at me weird but when I'm able to shoot what I'm aiming at, they have nothing to say. :P

Cuda440
05-29-2012, 3:57 PM
I'm right handed, left eye dominant, but I learned how to shoot right handed long before I found out that I was left eye dominant.

I can see long distance slightly better with my left eye, but I shoot with my right eye because that's how I learned and it works for me.

huckberry668
05-29-2012, 4:07 PM
it works for John McClane...

Keep both eyes open and practice using your right eye. Put a little piece of Scotch tape over your left eye. It helps your right eye gain dominance w/o closing your left eye. Practice for a few weeks and it'll become natural to you.

I train using my left eye when i practice shooting left handed (i'm a right hander).

tbc
05-29-2012, 4:21 PM
I simply could not keep both eyes open. The sight picture became double.

BTW, I'm also left eye/right hand. I have to close my right eye though.

Sent from IPhone

HighLander51
05-29-2012, 5:08 PM
I'm looking in to getting a CZ-75 (or 85) as my first handgun, but I have found myself in a bit of a dilemma. Based on my eye-dominance, should I just get the 75 and adjust, or do I need to get the ambidextrous 85?

It's a very common problem and can go un-diagnosed for decades. The typical right hand, left eye dominant shooter will tip the gun to the left, turn their head to the right, and try to pick up the sight with their left eye, and close their right eye. I see this every so often in competition. The fix is actually easy, assuming no corrective lenses are being used. Put a piece of opaque scotch tape over your left eye, you can still see, but your right eye is tricked into being correct. Use the correct stance and grip, now your gun is straight, your head is straight, and your right eye is seeing the front sight, the target can be fuzzy and the rear sight can be fuzzy. You have to try this a few times, but your groups will improve dramatically.

For corrective lenses, it's a bit more difficult. You get a prescription that corrects your weak eye to front sight distance, and your dominant eye to infinity. Again, the front sight has to be razor sharp. You still need to use the tape trick, but after several times, you can quit the tape and your 'weak' eye will remember the sight picture.

For right eye dominant, right hand shooters, the solution is the same for corrective lenses. Right eye corrected to front sight distance, and left eye to infinity.

Lead Waster
05-29-2012, 5:10 PM
I'm in the same boat with you being right handed and left eye dominant. When shooting handguns I still shoot with my right hand, still have to turn my head just slightly to be able to shoot properly. I've been trying to shoot with both eyes open, it's a working progress but practice makes perfect.

As for shotguns and rifles, I simply can't shoot right handed because of how the stock is fixed on your shoulder. There's no way in heck I can aim down the sight being left eye dominant. So for those I choose to shoot left handed and has never bothered me. My friends always looks at me weird but when I'm able to shoot what I'm aiming at, they have nothing to say. :P

Actually because you are left eye dominant, it doesn't mean your right eye is useless. It means with both eyes open, you percieve stuff clearer with your left eye...the sight picture you see is what you see with your left eye. Just close your dominant eye, and it works just the same. The dominant eye is dominant over the other eye, not over...everything. Try it.

tacticalcity
05-29-2012, 5:56 PM
I think you are probably over thinking it. With proper training and a boatload of practice you'll get it mastered. You tendency will be to blame your poor shooting on this issue. It's not related. You just need more training and trigger time. Don't let the natural frustration of trying to learn something new, that really is not all that easy, stop you. Even when you're missing and sending shots "to whom it may concern" (as in not hitting the right part of the paper target) it is still fun. A couple hundred thousand rounds down range a few courses later you'll get it mastered.

jlbflyboy172
05-29-2012, 6:05 PM
Shoot with both eyes open and just squint a little but. It works very well and will help you focus on the front sight. Try it, it works.

Cathead_Fred
05-29-2012, 6:23 PM
I have the same problem! To get around it, I wear an eye patch over my right eye when I shoot. But, then I got strange looks from other shooters at the range. I realized it looked kinda stupid. So, I put a fake parrot on my shoulder and the looks went away. I realized it's all about the ensemble. Who knew?

KandyRedCoi
05-29-2012, 6:36 PM
I think you are probably over thinking it. With proper training and a boatload of practice you'll get it mastered. You tendency will be to blame your poor shooting on this issue. It's not related. You just need more training and trigger time. Don't let the natural frustration of trying to learn something new, that really is not all that easy, stop you. Even when you're missing and sending shots "to whom it may concern" (as in not hitting the right part of the paper target) it is still fun. A couple hundred thousand rounds down range a few courses later you'll get it mastered.

^true

im left handed, but right eye dominant, although it is harder, it shouldnt keep you from getting the results you want / expect

jyo
05-29-2012, 6:40 PM
I shoot Weaver and am left-eye strong and right poor---so poor that it is almost useless---been shooting this way for over 50 years---no problems, just practice!

speedrrracer
05-29-2012, 6:50 PM
The gun and it's features have nothing to do with your cross-dominance issue. Training and practice will offer many different methods forward, regardless of pistol choice.

There are and have been a number of GM's who are / were cross-dominant.

Mr.1904
05-29-2012, 7:01 PM
Shoot with both eyes open

LuongShot
05-29-2012, 7:13 PM
I am also left eye dominant and right handed. I have been trouble with this issue for quite some time. Since I saw this thread I will try practice shooting with both eyes open next time at the range. Also I might try HighLander51's method also. Thanks for the inputs.

jdg30
05-29-2012, 7:28 PM
I dont see what the problem is with being right handed/ left eye dominant. That's what I am and I can shoot just fine. I'm sure I can out shoot many right hand/right eye shooters. Forget taping up my eye to try to change my eye dominance, that's ridiculous. Why would I need to try and change my dominant eye to shoot better when I can shoot fine as it is? Anybody who practices enough can shoot just fine either way because that way will be natural to them. Just because more people shoot right hand/right eye doesn't mean it's an advantage.

Beaker650
05-29-2012, 7:39 PM
I shoot shotguns left handed, but pistols right handed.

I was taught to tilt my head to the right and I have to close my right eye or everything blurs and doubles. I also shift the gun slightly to the left as well to get it closer to my left eye. So instead of the gun being in front of my right shoulder, it's between my shoulder and mid-chest. This is not the same as tilting the gun gangsta style. If this shifting will cause limp wristing, I haven't found it to be a problem yet. I'm not sure if tilting the gun slightly gangsta style would cause more FTE because I haven't tried it. Perhaps someone else would know.

Someone told me to twist my head to the right instead of tilting and I haven't been able to try this at the range yet. But when trying this at home, I can get a clearer front sight picture rather than blurry/double and can keep my right eye open.

anndreww
05-30-2012, 1:02 PM
I am left eye dominant and right handed. I shoot with my right hand, I just turn my head a little and CLOSE my right eye. I do this with my CZ75 -SP01 AND I use the thumbs forward grip and isoceles stance.

If you shoot with a Weaver stance, you might have more trouble, but it should still work I think.

Do you plan to shoot lefty, but you are right handed?

For rifles, and shotguns, I shoot lefty, even though I'm right handed, but on long guns, it makes more of a difference because you are mounting the gun to your shoulder. For me, I started doing that with BB guns when I was 12 so it's natural for me now. And with a rifle, the trigger pull with the gun mounted has less effect on accuracy, unlike a handgun where only your two hands control the gun.

I shoot my 12 gauge lefty (the reason I got the Mossberg over the 870) and have always shot rifles lefty. But with limited exposure to pistols, I was not sure what to do.

anndreww
05-30-2012, 1:07 PM
So it looks like I can go with the 75 and just adjust with some practice. Thanks for all the input!

stillnotbob
05-30-2012, 1:18 PM
Left eye/right hand is not such a big issue with pistols because you hold/aim the pistol in front if you. Use your left eye, right eye, both eyes... You can learn to shoot in any format.

It becomes an issue in firing a rifle with iron sights at distance as tilting your head and/or rifle will make you less accurate. I learned this in a precision riflery class I took in college. I had to wear a "pirate eye patch" over my left eye while shooting. Ended up with an A in the class. Before it was noticed that I had left eye dom. I could not hit the ten ring at all.

I have since spent a LOT of time learning, and mastering, to be able to make my right dominant while shooting.

MigNoche
05-30-2012, 1:24 PM
Tilt gun 15 - 30 degrees towards your dominant eye.

meltyman
05-30-2012, 2:24 PM
A trick that has helped me with controlling eye dominance (been practicing shooting left hand/left eye a little lately, while normal right/right) that I discovered was to take both of your thumbs, and hold them close together (about 1/2 inch apart) about a foot in front of you so there appears to be three thumb nails: where each eye thinks its respective thumb nail is in the same place, and when using both each appears on top of each other. You can unfocus your eyes a bit to get it lined up. This lets me practice dominance: I can force myself to see the left thumb in addition to just the nail, and I can see it transition from right to left. One way to make it more clear is to put a piece of tape or something on your non-dominant side's nail, and force yourself to see it. When your brain is fighting itself, the mark will appear and disappear. Practice until you can control it at will. Since working with this method out of curiosity, I have found myself more naturally using my left eye when holding a pistol in my left hand.

Anyway, lemme know if I'm crazy! But I though it was an interesting trick.

Bw511
05-30-2012, 3:23 PM
I like the parrot idea. I only notice it on occasion, but I don't think I have a dominant eye, so one will be main or the other almost randomly. I've started winking my left eye just as I see the sights, then shoot with both eyes open.

USM0083
05-30-2012, 4:43 PM
I'm right handed, left eye dominant, but have trained myself to shoot with both eyes open but aim primarily with my right eye.

sounish
05-30-2012, 5:15 PM
I'm right handed, left eye dominant. I've been shooting pistols, revolvers and semis for over 35 years using my left hand and left eye, I can out shoot most of the guys I shoot with, including an NRA pistol instructor. I normally shoot .45acp these days. I also shoot a variety of rifes in different calibers using my left eye and left hand. At this point I wouldn't waste my time shooting right handed

Distro
05-30-2012, 5:46 PM
hickok45