PDA

View Full Version : Mossberg 930 spx or saiga 12 for HD ????

2fast4u
05-29-2012, 1:37 PM
Looking at getting a new Shotgun. For the long term HD and SHTF gun. I was thinking the
930spx is a good pick but they have a Saiga 12 there as well for about the same price.

The 930 spx. is the model with the pistol grip.

Thanks for any info or input.

BoonieGhost
05-29-2012, 1:41 PM
Saiga 12 hands down!!! I have an S-12 and my buddy has an 930 SPX and I can tell you firsthand from shooting the 930 that the trigger wont/cant reset fast enough for an effective double tap. Its a nice gun, but ill take the Saiga anyday over the 930. If you want a Mossberg, get a 590 pump and call it a day. If you wanna semi-auto get a saiga or save your money and get a Benelli....

Paradiddle
05-29-2012, 2:37 PM
I have a 930 - it runs great and is very reliable. I've used it in tactical competition (mine is custom - not the SPX). It's no Benelli - but then again it's about $1000 less all said and done once you customize both guns and it runs much better then the Remington gas guns do.

Doesn't the Saiga have a mag lock? I would think you'd want some loading flexibility for a HD weapon.

Hallz
05-29-2012, 2:53 PM
I have the S12, for HD, I think it is too cumbersome, expecialy in the standard sport config. If you are set on a 12 guage for HD I would say the SPX or a cheap reliable pump for around $300.

Have you tried to manuver through your house with a SG or long gun for HD?

mcmikeblues7
05-29-2012, 3:08 PM
Mossberg, nuff said

3GunFunShooter
05-29-2012, 3:12 PM
I would get the Mossberg 930 JM Competition model.
Great price and more features than a regular 930.

SJgunguy24
05-29-2012, 3:15 PM
Saiga 12 converted. You can remove buttstock and get the overall length right at 28".
I went through mine and did the bolt and carrier work, and spec-ed out the porting to work with the chopped barrel.

http://i285.photobucket.com/albums/ll66/SJgunguy24/goodbye.jpg

Hallz
05-29-2012, 3:41 PM
Don't get me wrong, my S12 works flawless, even with 1oz #8. Seating the mag with the bolt closed is not even an issue anymore. I did my research and knew what to look for when buying and what to expect. After the first outing, I had the bolt, port work, etc done and enjoyed every shot since!

However, not all do and some people end up spending time and money to get them running correctly.

How many times have we seen threads of frustrated buyers?

Although I do love my Saiga 12, my original intention was to convert it. Now, for me that would be a mistake. I am seriously considering selling it and trying something new.

It all boils down to, buy what you like and are comfortable with

SJgunguy24
05-29-2012, 5:17 PM
Don't get me wrong, my S12 works flawless, even with 1oz #8. Seating the mag with the bolt closed is not even an issue anymore. I did my research and knew what to look for when buying and what to expect. After the first outing, I had the bolt, port work, etc done and enjoyed every shot since!

However, not all do and some people end up spending time and money to get them running correctly.

How many times have we seen threads of frustrated buyers?

Although I do love my Saiga 12, my original intention was to convert it. Now, for me that would be a mistake. I am seriously considering selling it and trying something new.

It all boils down to, buy what you like and are comfortable with

If you don't convert it your missing everything that sets the Saiga 12 apart frim every other combat shotgun in the world.
Anybody with an unconverted Saiga is really selling that shotgun short.
Personally I keep a mossy 500 with a +4 speedfeed stock for the house. I just brought my saiga 12 home after being on display at the shop for close to a year.

STUCH77
05-29-2012, 7:15 PM
decent vid on both semi and pump guns.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_profilepage&v=LKgnGWXR_2I

Paradiddle
05-29-2012, 8:34 PM
decent vid on both semi and pump guns.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_profilepage&v=LKgnGWXR_2I

ummmm.....what?????

PS - those guys reload slow.

STUCH77
05-29-2012, 8:59 PM
what? what?

MossbergMan
05-30-2012, 8:52 AM
930 SPX (no pistol grip).
I own a Saiga (in free america NV.) but with a mag-lock in the PRK it's not worth it. If was the end all shotgun then more Pro Shooters would use it. As it is the two best SG shooters in the world have gone to Mossberg 930s (not SPX).
I also have a Benelli S-90A1 and it's now a safe queen now that I have my SPX. For the money...the SPX no question. Spend the savings on training and ammo :-) not "fixing or converting" the gun.

comblock
05-30-2012, 1:21 PM
Neither. It might be taken away for evidence after the shoot. Get a pump for HD. They'cheap

Webologist
05-30-2012, 10:03 PM
Saiga 12 hands down!!! I have an S-12 and my buddy has an 930 SPX and I can tell you firsthand from shooting the 930 that the trigger wont/cant reset fast enough for an effective double tap. Its a nice gun, but ill take the Saiga anyday over the 930. If you want a Mossberg, get a 590 pump and call it a day. If you wanna semi-auto get a saiga or save your money and get a Benelli....

Speed of followup shots with the 930 SPX is hardly a valid criticism. Less than .2 seconds per shot. Example...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I0PQK3t2I1M

Post an S12 shooting faster than 8 rounds in 1.46 seconds semi-auto...

Hallz
05-31-2012, 1:24 AM
I had a feeling this would turn into another Ford vs Chevy match.

Would it even be smart to take more than 1 shot per second anyway? Good luck justifying that type of force!

Bottom line is, they could both work with a competent shooter on the triger. My opinion will probaly cause more of an uproar, but if you have the option a hand gun and training is a much more practicle (Chevy vs. Dodge)

OP, let us know what you purchase

Solidux
05-31-2012, 2:52 AM
For $300 you can get a mossberg 500. The 930 is like... the camry of mossbergs. For HD, the 500 is king (IMO) since you dont really need to rapidly fire the shotgun like in a video game to take a baddy down. More than 2 shots out of a shotgun... might as well redecorate your house.

MossbergMan
05-31-2012, 8:45 AM
For $300 you can get a mossberg 500. The 930 is like... the camry of mossbergs. For HD, the 500 is king (IMO) since you dont really need to rapidly fire the shotgun like in a video game to take a baddy down. More than 2 shots out of a shotgun... might as well redecorate your house.

Camry? really?....naw it's more like the Lexus of the Toyota/Mossberg anology.
And I couldn't agree more about the 500/590s. With practice a pump gunner can close the gap with a semi-auto, they just have to work harder. I proved it all the time. To demonstrate this to a class I'd race a student with a semi-auto with the very same 500 you see in my avatar. 4 steel targets @ 7 yards. If I didn't beat the semi-auto's time you couldn't have lived on the difference. .25 to .50 over four targets isn't hardly noticable to the ear or eye. And surely didn't justify spending $800 to $1K on a semi-auto. And yes I practiced alot and expended a considerable amount of of shot into the range to be that proficient...but it is doable.
You see we both have recoil to deal with. The pump gunner has to work the action between shots where to semi-auto merely moves. But the time between targets is virtually the same.

Sicarius
05-31-2012, 9:46 AM
I would say 930 personally. I have a lot of love for my S12 but I find it combersome to reload and manipulate for a HD situation. I like the ability to switch loads easily and reload on the fly. Granted most HD situations wouldn't need much but to hunker down and call 911 but I just want the ability to do so. Another thing is with a side saddle, you probably have all the ammo you will need on the gun itself. With the S12, you will have to grab an extra mag idealy but that is just one more thing to worry about. I don't know if you ever have had to clear a jam in a S12 but its a serious pain without being able to drop the mag. 930 for simplicity, manuverability(10 round mag really hangs out there), easy manipulation and reliability.
Kevin

Sicarius
05-31-2012, 9:48 AM
Agreed. A pump is well suited for HD and should be a consideration too.
Kevin

Paradiddle
05-31-2012, 10:39 AM
Agreed. A pump is well suited for HD and should be a consideration too.
Kevin

Only if you practice. Short stroking a pump in a high pressure situation is a stinky proposition.

jimmyeatsworld
05-31-2012, 10:52 AM
Nothing wrong with a semi in a high stress situation.

I say mossy bc I have one. Good bang for the buck for a autoloading shotty.

Saiga 12 is sick too.

Sicarius
05-31-2012, 10:52 AM
Very true. For the price difference, that is a lot of ammo to get familiar with it. Another thing to consider is if you are in the unfortunate situation that you HAVE to use the shotgun for HD. The police will likely confiscate the firearm. I for one am not willing to put my expensive firearms in that situation if there is a cheaper one that can perform the same function equally.
Kevin