PDA

View Full Version : Rock island tactical buy

arslin
05-29-2012, 10:49 AM
Hello everyone

A year after starting, I think I have completed my firearm layout. Friday I put down enough to hold a RIA tactical 1911. I had given up on finding this version of this 1911, and I did not like the mil spec version. So, I was going to look at some other .45acp options.

When I walked into the gun store, I thought I entered Shangri-La. I had found the gun that I had thought was unavailable anywhere. I could not find that gun ANY place. Not even online. I had figured that Rock island had decided to focus on the low end mil spec model for the rush. I had not planned on buying a gun Friday... Thus why I only put the down-payment.

To summarize (long to short): There is the Mosin Izzy 1942. With that rifle, I like that it has the most define machining marks I have ever seen. It is a testament to the difficult times it was made. Maybe I will go find a better post/pre war (more refined) version later. Then there is the Saiga 7.62 (converted). Next is the 10/22 Ruger. I got the Ruger for more trigger time at a lower cost. Last there is the 1911.

My though process (in order of importance):
A) Reliably: when I pull the trigger, I want it to go bang (or boom in the case of the Mosin).
B) Reasonable accuracy: I require only that it be able to hit a small watermelon at the intended range. I do not need to pick a fly off the noise of an *** at 500 yards.
C) Price to performance ratio: I have a limited amount of money to complete all of the above.
D) I like weapons that have stood the test of time. If a firearm is still being made, and sold a hundred plus years after it was made... There is a solid principal behind it. If it has a reputation for reliability after that many years, I will take it any day over some carbon new kid.

Now to focus on ammo, and trigger time.

Lead Waster
05-29-2012, 11:34 AM
I'm surprised that the RIA Tacticals are hard to find! Maybe they are sufferering the same thing that CZ-75s are suffering from ... current hype and election year gun rush?

Glad you got one, mine is great! It could use better sights and grips though.

MrExel17
05-29-2012, 12:33 PM
Mee too and agree^^^^^

arslin
05-29-2012, 12:50 PM
I'm surprised that the RIA Tacticals are hard to find! Maybe they are sufferering the same thing that CZ-75s are suffering from ... current hype and election year gun rush?

Oh I am very sure that is the reason it is hard to find. Just about EVERY gun is hard to find. This reminds me of the stories my mother-n-law tells of the "deficit" days of the USSR. At that time you might be happy if you could buy something when you waited all day in line. It might be the wrong size shoes, but at least you got shoes.

Press Check
05-29-2012, 1:29 PM

At the current price-point, RIA Tac models fly right off the shelves.

aghauler
05-29-2012, 7:43 PM
I just picked up my RIA Tactical today, ordered from Buds for $448 del to my FFL. Then this last weekend Centerfire Systems had free shipping on anything over $99. Had I know that was coming I would have waited and saved another $30!:(