PDA

View Full Version : What is the most effective way to sell a gun?

Reynold
05-29-2012, 9:18 AM
Post an ad on Calguns classified? Sell to dealer? Visit gun stores and put on consignment? Other listing channels? This is my first time selling a gun (Glock 19), any advice is appreciated!

Vacaville
05-29-2012, 9:20 AM
Only way I've done it is on Calguns, worked just fine.

.45 ftw!
05-29-2012, 9:22 AM
I just sold one to a Calgunner. It was a piece of cake. Smooth transaction, good guy.

DVSmith
05-29-2012, 9:23 AM
I have never sold a gun, but have bought quite a few and my favorite places are the marketplace here, gunbroker, gunauction (formerly Auction Arms) and gunsamerica.

I would start with a listing here if it were me.

Or, just sell it to me for $250 and save yourself all that trouble! :43:

Root66
05-29-2012, 9:24 AM
A dealer will only give you a fraction of the real value.

orangeusa
05-29-2012, 9:25 AM
CALGUNS - piece of cake. Post for local sale only, post for no trades.
Read the rules a couple of times. But think of the numbers. 100k members, ~3000 folks online 24/7....

Call the buyer a few times before meeting - to weed out flakes.
And stand your ground by stating where you want to do the DROS. Just free advice - worth what you paid for it.

Good luck - it's fun!

!@#$
05-29-2012, 9:39 AM
g19 will be an easy sale here. $450-500

Ken Woodford
05-29-2012, 9:46 AM
I recently sold one to a Calgunner. I did a search and found 2 people who were looking for this particular gun and PM's them. It was so easy, it was great to meet him and we had a good chat while doing the paperwork.

I'd do it again if I ever sell one.

My only suggestion is to make your price reasonable. I don't try to get top dollar but I also don't give it away.

FX-05 Xiuhcoatl
05-29-2012, 9:49 AM
post it here on calguns, taking it to a gun store is like getting a slap in the face for what they offer

Exile Machine
05-29-2012, 9:51 AM
I've sold a couple spare guns on the private marketplace here, a Kahr PM9 and an AK-74 rifle. Sure it would have been easier to just do a face to face here in Dallas but it's far better to arm those behind enemy lines.

-Mark

SNCaliber
05-29-2012, 9:55 AM
calgun transaction ftw, easy to do, lots of traffic on here so most of the time quick sales!

Ripon83
05-29-2012, 10:04 AM
You asked what is the most effective way.

I have seen guns offered at low prices on this forum's classifieds sell in 10 minutes. (or at least be claimed). If you expect, want, and plan on getting top dollar it will take longer and it might be more effective to go through a store and consign it. Though I'd still ask what you want for it here as its time effective and cost effective to do so. If you ask too much you'll never sell it, but if you have the right price it can go quickly. I've bought several here and only sold one - its all about price.

Post an ad on Calguns classified? Sell to dealer? Visit gun stores and put on consignment? Other listing channels? This is my first time selling a gun (Gen 3 Glock 19, almost new, <200rounds), any advice is appreciated!

Reynold
05-29-2012, 10:12 AM
1. Who pays sales tax, is there is any?

2. Who pays the DROS/FFL fee?

SNCaliber
05-29-2012, 10:14 AM
last time I did a DROS, usually the buyer pays DROS fee

DVSmith
05-29-2012, 10:18 AM
1. Who pays sales tax, is there is any?

2. Who pays the DROS/FFL fee?

DROS and Sales Tax (shipping and insurance if applicable) are customarily paid for by the buyer unless you negotiate something else ahead of time.

Also, in my experience, the cash handling is usually done prior to DROS after you have inspected the firearm. Once you and the buyer have completed your transaction, you then ask the FFL to start the DROS.

I have had a few sellers cover shipping as part of the cost, but very few.

Reynold
05-29-2012, 10:20 AM
DROS and Sales Tax (shipping and insurance if applicable) are customarily paid for by the buyer unless you negotiate something else ahead of time.

Also, in my experience, the cash handling is usually done prior to DROS after you have inspected the firearm. Once you and the buyer have completed your transaction, you then ask the FFL to start the DROS.

I have had a few sellers cover shipping as part of the cost, but very few.

So basically, the flow is like this:

1) Find a buyer (via Calguns or something)
2) We meet at an FFL and he pays me $
3) At the FFL, we start DROS
4) I leave my gun at FFL (?)
5) He comes back 10 days later to pick it up (do I have to be present?)

fennecfrank
05-29-2012, 10:22 AM
for my experience, it depends on the model of the gun and how much you're willing to let it go.

for some, you can list it here. but for some, it's better to consigned it at LGS's. There are a few guns here that if they take to my LGS's, they would be sold in a few days.

DVSmith
05-29-2012, 10:24 AM
So basically, the flow is like this:

1) Find a buyer (via Calguns or something)
2) We meet at an FFL and he pays me $
3) At the FFL, we start DROS
4) I leave my gun at FFL (?) -> Yes, you leave the gun there.
5) He comes back 10 days later to pick it up (do I have to be present?) -> No, your part is done unless the buyer is refused by the DOJ in which case you, the buyer and the FFL have to figure out what to do. This has never happened to me, so if an FFL wants to chime in here, but as I understand it, the FFL then does a new DROS to return the gun to you. If you are refused, well, that makes things more interesting. :)

But you have the basic idea!

Ripon83
05-29-2012, 10:29 AM
There is no sales tax on a Private Party Transaction. The dealer may choose to charge a tax for the DROS service - I've encountered one that did and several that don't. I think, legally, you might be required to post the sales on your state tax return and pay the sales tax. I'm not sure - maybe that is only if its a "hobby or business" income.

tacticalcity
05-29-2012, 10:32 AM
Post an ad both here in the Marketplace, and on Gunbroker.com. Be reasonably priced. Don't shoot yourself in the foot but don't charge retail either.

orangeusa
05-29-2012, 10:35 AM
Two more things.

1. LET BUYER INSPECT B4 PAPERWORK: It's good form to let buyer inspect the gun before you start paperwork. I've never refused a buy and never had a guy turn down one I was selling, but it's a nice gesture to let buyer look at the gun. LGS want's to start paperwork ASAP because they don't make much money on transfers... ask them to hold off until he's seen the gun.

2. SOME LGS WON'T LET YOU PAY : Inside store. Turners has gotten strange about this. I have NO idea what the heck they are thinking...

But it's really easy.

cfusionpm
05-29-2012, 10:38 AM
I've sold two and bought two here on Calguns. All were smooth and easy transactions once I found a solid buyer. There are flaky buyers here and there, but most of them don't get past the Private Message stage.

calif 15-22
05-29-2012, 11:08 AM
Two more things.

1. LET BUYER INSPECT B4 PAPERWORK: It's good form to let buyer inspect the gun before you start paperwork. I've never refused a buy and never had a guy turn down one I was selling, but it's a nice gesture to let buyer look at the gun. LGS want's to start paperwork ASAP because they don't make much money on transfers... ask them to hold off until he's seen the gun.

But it's really easy.

Just a friendly reminder. When you get to the FFL or Gun Store to do the inspection and or transaction, ask the FFL or Gun Clerk to check and clear the gun BEFORE you open the case and start showing the buyer. Don't start having the buyer handle the firearm before it is checked and cleared by the folks behind the counter. I've seen 2 transactions that the FFL got really pissed when a buyer and seller opened the case and starting handling the firearm in his store. First case they were both asked to leave. Second case (different store) they got schooled.

Good luck and Calguns Marketplace is the way to go.

MrExel17
05-29-2012, 11:32 AM
Here on Calguns, just make sure to provide all the information as if you were buying the gun, pictures help a lot. Seem many sales lately with lack of info.

Sanman023
05-29-2012, 11:48 AM
in addition...for a quick sale..add some nice pictures...i know its a hassle....even though its new in the box or mint...buyers want to see pictures and not told to check out the manufacturers website...just my opinion as a buyer..

ThiZZ
05-29-2012, 2:16 PM
the cal guns private sales mods really need to relax... that place is way over moderated...

also i think you should be able to tell someone that their price is too high because obviously after 50 bumps they havent figured it out... when someones trying to sell a gun for $100 more than what you can buy it brand new at a gun shop they should prolly be told....

orangeusa
05-29-2012, 3:19 PM
Uhh, not my first rodeo. I've got 29 iTraders - most were guns... Sell or buy.

I was assuming that guns were checked at the door of LGS - as all LGS require. My point was - several times, I've had LGS start paperwork before I was able to check out the gun for sale.

Just a friendly reminder. When you get to the FFL or Gun Store to do the inspection and or transaction, ask the FFL or Gun Clerk to check and clear the gun BEFORE you open the case and start showing the buyer. Don't start having the buyer handle the firearm before it is checked and cleared by the folks behind the counter. I've seen 2 transactions that the FFL got really pissed when a buyer and seller opened the case and starting handling the firearm in his store. First case they were both asked to leave. Second case (different store) they got schooled.

Good luck and Calguns Marketplace is the way to go.

DannyInSoCal
05-29-2012, 3:37 PM
Have someone who can consign it for you shoot professional marketing videos and photos -

Then market it on Gunbroker and GunsAmerica - They are both the "eBay of guns".

The more people in the market for a firearm you can reach -

The higher the sale price goes.

If you can't find someone let me know....

stix213
05-29-2012, 5:01 PM
Just a couple tips from someone who has bought several guns here.

You'll have much better luck if you take all your tacticool accessories off and return the firearm to it's stock configuration. Sell accessories separately. People want to buy a stock firearm and then customize it the way they want it, not the way you wanted it but didn't want it enough to keep it.

Also don't create an itemized list of everything you've ever done to the gun with retail prices next to them. Makes it look like you're trying to sell a car while adding on the price of your last oil change to it.

in addition...for a quick sale..add some nice pictures...i know its a hassle....even though its new in the box or mint...buyers want to see pictures and not told to check out the manufacturers website...just my opinion as a buyer..

And this ^^^^

Directing someone to a manufacturer's website stock photo screams of a scam. Must be hiding some giant scratch or something.

Falstaff
05-29-2012, 7:43 PM
the gun stores are gonna offer you about half what you could get for it here. I saw the guys at city arms offer a kid 300 for a newish glock with a tlr light/laser. i would have paid him 500 on the spot.

keenkeen
05-29-2012, 7:50 PM
Uhh, not my first rodeo. I've got 29 iTraders - most were guns... Sell or buy.

I was assuming that guns were checked at the door of LGS - as all LGS require. My point was - several times, I've had LGS start paperwork before I was able to check out the gun for sale.

What?

:confused:

den888
05-29-2012, 8:47 PM
Sell it here on Calguns. If you sell on consignment, the fee is 20-25% of the final sales price. I have sold using both methods and prefer Calguns.

Once the sale is complete, leave feedback here on the forum, so that the rest of us are informed of your experiences with the buyer.

Dakine_surf
05-29-2012, 9:12 PM
+1 for the marketplace!!! I bought a gun here on the marketplace... it went really smooth, I think I made him nervous the day of the sale because he called a couple times but I was in the car driving and didn't feel the phone which was on vibrate... in the end however I met a great CalGunner and the transaction was very smooth. We got a chance to BS while the paperwork was being done, it is always nice meeting real, honest people who love the same things that you do.

On the flip side I have bought 2 or 3 guns off of gunbroker... Great transactions, but $100+ for transfers is rough... I would much prefer to do it PPT in a face to face transaction. Only reason I went with a transfer was because it was a semi rare (discontinued) gun that i got for a decent deal.

drkphibr
05-29-2012, 9:38 PM
Post an ad on Calguns classified? Sell to dealer? Visit gun stores and put on consignment? Other listing channels? This is my first time selling a gun (Glock 19), any advice is appreciated!

Post it in WTS and make it reasonably priced. That's the best start IMHO.

loosewreck
05-29-2012, 10:15 PM
Post it in WTS and make it reasonably priced. That's the best start IMHO.

That's it right there. The only thing I can add is to post good detailed pictures, trust me it makes a huge difference.

Don't sell to a gun store, they need to make a profit flipping the gun so they'll try to give you far less then what its worth. I made that mistake before I discovered Calguns, never again.

23 Blast
05-30-2012, 4:29 AM
Before I discovered Calguns, I either bought new from gun stores, used from consignments at gunstores, and sold using consignment (which the store took a significant percentage). Calguns is a far superior place, but I can't speak to other gun auction websites because I haven't used them.

As far as selling the guns effectively - pictures are a must. Ideally several photos showing an overall view, and several close ups showing either minor blemishes, details like aftermarket sights, close up of the open action, maybe even a shot of the bore (particularly on milsurps). Another way to effectively sell it is a reasonable price. Do research here first to find out how much similar guns went for. Don't ask $1000 on a gun that YOU may have paid that much for a year ago of other Calgunners are selling a similar model for $850. It's a marketplace and you'll quickly discover where the equilibrium price is. Ive seen sale threads with a year's worth of "bumps" because the seller is asking a ridiculously high price. I've also seen guns sell in a matter of minutes because the seller priced it too low and cheated themselves out of quite a bit (IMO).

daybreak
05-30-2012, 7:21 AM
Calguns is the best place to buy/sell a used gun, for sure.

t0kie
05-30-2012, 7:51 AM
Marketplace is one of the best place to sell for sure. We just need to be honest & clear about what we are selling & the rest will take care of itself.

LBDamned
05-30-2012, 11:33 AM
I've sold three pistols (to two different people) in the past month or two... all through CalGuns... no hassle, no problems, good people.

If I sell in future it will be on this forum again.

FWIW, also have bought/sold ammo & accessories through CGN - never a bad experience.

LBDamned
05-30-2012, 11:37 AM
I recently sold one to a Calgunner. I did a search and found 2 people who were looking for this particular gun and PM's them. It was so easy, it was great to meet him and we had a good chat while doing the paperwork.

I'd do it again if I ever sell one.

My only suggestion is to make your price reasonable. I don't try to get top dollar but I also don't give it away.

+1... I always price items to move fast... it's a good deal for buyer and is less time consuming for me (it's not worth waiting around and weeding through a bunch of PMs to get an extra 25-50 bux imo). Cash in hand in a day or two is better than weeks of waiting.

ArkinDomino
05-30-2012, 3:11 PM
Give it to a bum and make him promise to give you the money he made selling it. That's the easiest I've heard of...

:)

orangeusa
05-30-2012, 3:25 PM
God, tough crowd. Most LGS in my area stop you at the door and have you open the case and prove gun is unloaded. that is all. It's just policy of the gun shop, and varies from place to place.

What?

:confused:

keenkeen
05-30-2012, 4:17 PM
God, tough crowd. Most LGS in my area stop you at the door and have you open the case and prove gun is unloaded. that is all. It's just policy of the gun shop, and varies from place to place.

Not sure we are a tough crowd...I was just confused by your statement. I travel all over CA for work and I pick up lots of PPT handguns in my travels.

I have been in over 50 FFL's in the last year and done PPTs at at least 20. I have never seen anyone stopped at the door to have their weapon checked.

I am sure some shops check at the door but I have only ever seen them checked at the counter. That's why the statement "as all LGS require." had me wondering.

CSACANNONEER
05-30-2012, 4:32 PM
A dealer will only give you a fraction of the real value.

A dealer will give you what it is worth to them. There is no one "real value". To me, a used Glock isn't worth any more than $350 tops and, I've passed on more than a few at that price. But, there is one in the marketplace for $700 right now. So, like anything else, it's only worth what someone is willing to pay for it. A shop has to tie up their investment for 30 days and then find a buyer for it. They have overhead to contend with too. I don't see a shop buying it for more than $250 and selling it for $450ish. They could make more off their investment buying a brand new gun and quickly turning it over then buying another one, etc. They can do this several times during the 30 day hold required when they buy a used gun. So, buying used guns at close to retail just isn't profitable for shops.