PDA

View Full Version : Did Florida's "Docs can't ask about Glocks" bill ever pass?

voiceofreason
05-29-2012, 8:56 AM
Florida's SB432 in Florida

I apologize for my Goggle-fu being so weak. (I actually couldn't find an answer)

Did this pass and is it in effect?

I had a friend's wife call me at work this morning asking for advice. I seem to recall this exact same thing happening a year or 2 ago, but I'm too old to remember much these days. Memory isn't what it used to be.

As he usually refers to me in matters regarding firearms (I know lots 'cuz I'm a Calgunner :D), she called me directly when she wasn't sure what to do.

Her daughter was at an 18 month old "well baby" appointment and the question list/form asked if there were guns in the house.

She was worried about what might happen if she marked "Yes" and it was on record that there were guns in the house.

I agreed with her that it was not any of her physician's business, though declining to answer might draw more attention. So I told her to be honest and state "Locked in gun safe" which is exactly where her husband keeps them (more like a gun cabinet, really... but inaccessible without heavy tools).

Why would someone have to disclose personal information regarding a Constitutional right in order to receive medical care?

Any information or knowledge to share?

mdimeo
05-29-2012, 9:02 AM
Just put "no", so you don't have to hear a lecture.

GaryV
05-29-2012, 9:04 AM
Yes, it passed, but enforcement was blocked by a federal judge in September. I haven't heard whether the state ever appealed. The ruling was lame, as the judge claimed the law did something it didn't do at all (prevented doctors from giving gun safety advice), and then ruled that that imaginary prohibition violated the 1A.

DrDavid
05-29-2012, 9:05 AM
I'd put yes, and attach a list of them, and a note about how you intend to take the kid shooting as soon as they're old enough... Offer to take the doctor too, he'll like that!

OleCuss
05-29-2012, 9:23 AM
I recommend refusing to answer unless you know the physician is gun friendly.

If the physician objects to your refusing to answer a rather intrusive question of limited/questionable value, then you know that you can and should get a better physician.

RANDO
05-29-2012, 9:39 AM
Leave it blank

DrDavid
05-29-2012, 9:52 AM
Why? What could the doctor possibly do that was bad? Other than it's not his business, take it as an opportunity to educate him..

Don't be embarrassed over your guns.

Paper Boy
05-29-2012, 9:57 AM
Just put "no", so you don't have to hear a lecture.

This.

What is the doctor going to do? Come to your house and do a walk through? It has no impact on the babies health, the doctor needs not know.

NoJoke
05-29-2012, 10:16 AM
I'd put yes, and attach a list of them, and a note about how you intend to take the kid shooting as soon as they're old enough... Offer to take the doctor too, he'll like that!

Doctors do not interact with patients outside of the office.

Why? What could the doctor possibly do that was bad? Other than it's not his business, take it as an opportunity to educate him..

Don't be embarrassed over your guns.

I doubt embarrassment has anything to do with providing irrelevant information to a self proclaimed non-political profession. How does gun ownership impact prognosis/diagnosis/treatment planning?

That's right, it doesn't. :mad:

lilro
05-29-2012, 10:19 AM
Mark "no". This is a doctor's form not a 4473. You aren't legally obligated to tell the truth.

SwPx4
05-29-2012, 10:34 AM
Be a 12 month old... And these type of questions come up all the time...

It is mainly really them to reiterate standard gun safety principles...

It is amazing what some people think is appropriate or just don't think about...

Case and point... They have to tell new mothers... NOT to carry hot liquids and your baby together :facepalm:

as for how you answer... It's up to you... Has no bearing beyond a quick lecture.

SwPx4
05-29-2012, 10:34 AM
I have*

Untamed1972
05-29-2012, 10:46 AM
There instances when a doctor is required to report you to the authorities if they think you're a danger to yourself or others.

So...imagain....maybe you're in a rough patch. Lost your job, money is tight. Having trouble sleeping or something. Go see the doc for some sleep meds or anti-depressants. Doc knows you have guns....WAHLAH! Po-Po knockin' on your door lookin' for your guns cuz the doc decided you might be a danger cuz you have guns and are little stressed/depressed.

gobler
05-29-2012, 12:16 PM
You folks may not know this but have you noticed your Doctor using laptops?? Yea, mine as well. My GP straight up told me that our records (thanks to 0boma care) go into a gobermint insurance database... Every time I see him he complains about the incursions the .gov puts in the paperwork. He said 60% of his time is filling out paperwork for our nany-state. My doc is a shooter (when he has time) and put "no" on my "questionnaire" saying it has nothing to do with medical...

Sent from somewhere in space & time...