View Full Version : AAR - Gray Ops Advanced Tactical Carbine 5-26/27-2012

Gray Ops 1*
05-29-2012, 8:44 AM
Class: Advanced Carbine (2-Day Course)

Instructor(s): Gordon Gray / RSO’s Alex Adams/Andy Gray

Location: Sacramento Valley Shooting Center, Range 9 (5-26) / Range 11 (5-27)

7 students all male ranging in age from 49 - 25, average age = 36 years old.

There is a prerequisite to attend this course, requirements are Fundamental & Transitional Carbine as well as at a minimum Basic Handgun, no waivers from any other instructors are granted. Class experience had a variety of experience comprised of several business owners, co-workers, an EMT/Fire Fighter, and a Medical Doctor. All met or exceeded the prerequisites.

Firearms & Equipment:
This will be listed by students to include Pistol and Carbine.
1) YHM Lower/Stag Upper w/Bushnell Red Dot – Pistol S&W/M&P 9mm w/Fobus waist holster. Extra mags carried in light chest rig.
2) Noveske Lower/Knights Armament Upper w/URX rail, Aimpoint Comp M-2 – Pistol Beretta 92, Safariland 6000 series drop leg holster. Extra mags carried in plate carrier.
3) LMT CQB MRP Defender Piston w/Aimpoint M-4 – Pistol SIG P-226 (9mm) Serpa level 2, leg holster. Extra mags carried in light chest rig.
4) Stage Lower/Rock River Upper w/Aimpoint M-4 – Pistol Glock 35 w/Safariland 6000 series drop leg holster. Extra mags carried in an Eagle Plate carrier.
5) M&P Lower/Stag 2HT Upper w/Eotech – Pistol Glock 22 w/Serpa Level 2, hip. Extra mags carried in an Eagle Plate carrier.
6) S&W Sport w/Iron Sights – Pistol Glock 19 w/Serpa Level 2, hip. Extra mags carried in a Condor Recon Chest Rig.
7) Stag Mod-15 w/Iron Sights (Carry Handle) – Pistol Glock 17 w/Serpa Level 2, drop leg. Extra mags carried in Modular Style Vest.

Equipment Issues:
All firearms malfunctions were a result of ammunition. During a preset failure to eject drill, 1 operator was not able to clear the empty casing from the chamber as the bolt would not come out of battery. Casing had to be removed via tapping from the muzzle with a cleaning rod. The cause was a brass casing that was inserted into the chamber and stuck to the lacquer coating from the “Wolf” steel cased ammo that was being used. This same operator experience a very unique double feed that had to be cleared with the use of a Leatherman tool, it almost resembled a bolt over base and double feed, however the round did not make it over the bolt as a result of the double feed. Very strange combination so say the least.

Instructor Critique:
Classes started promptly @ 08:30, with a safety briefing, first aid plan, and an overview of the planned progressions and shooters goals both days.

Day-1: Start of class 57 degrees, end of class 69 degrees. Skies were cloudy the majority of the day, a steady wind out of the SE 6-10mph, rain as we cleared the range.
Day-2: Start of class 55 degrees, end of class 75 degrees. Skies, partly cloudy in the am clearing in the afternoon with a steady wind out of the SE of 7 mph, the weather for both days was exceptional.

Began with a review of “Threat” vs “Challenge” commands, the importance of scanning, the proper loading procedure, weapon safety circle, and the importance of not shooting green tip ammo at steel. (Only 1 shooter had green tip and it was changed out during all steel drills). A review of rifle/pistol shooting position/presentations and multiples. Rifle warm up exercises began on the 10 yard line working our way back to the 25 with timed shooting and moving exercises. After Pistol presentation drills, we worked on positional shooting, kneeling, low kneeling, prone, squatting and the importance of scanning while recovering from each position before reaching the standing position. A series of reloading drills were conducted to cover “Emergency” and “Tactical” reloading with and without a bullet button. Confined Quarters movement was then experienced with a serpentine movement, utilizing both lateral and horizontal movement. Emphasis was made on the “Safety Circle” and practiced. Malfunction clearing was then discussed, shown, and were then experienced. A Combat Pickup drill was run, where the student did not know the condition of their rifle and had to clear it and fire 2 rounds on target. After lunch we continued to work on Shooting while Moving, Pivots, right – left – and to the reverse engaging colored shape targets. Switching to “Support Hand” shooting and the challenges of using the non-dominate eye. Strong hand only and 1 handed reloading drills were then conducted.

After our safety briefing we started moving fairly rapidly with 5 yard head shots to reinforce “Mechanical Offset” and a 1 hole drill with our pistols was run to strengthen trigger reset. A Presentation and Accelerated Pair Drill/Competition was then run starting at the 50 yard line and moving forward with time shots from different yardages, all students did extremely well with their rifles up to the 5 yard line. Moving rearward we switch to the handgun and determined the sole survivor at the 25. We then worked on distance shooting out to 200 yards. All students were required to have their rifles zeroed, the majority had them @ 50 to 100 yard zeros. A review of trajectory was conducted and we started at the 25, 50, 100, 150, finishing up at the 200 (total length of the range). All students did extremely well and were surprised with just how accurate they could be from 200 yards. The group size overall was exceptional with the majority shooting 4-6” groups throughout the drill. We moved on to a shoot and move (weave drill) running 2 lines. Roll over prone was then attempted shooting over and under barriers. Room clearing was then discussed and 2 different rooms were set-up, a center feed door and a right hand door. We did a lot of chalk talk about the different ways to clear a room solo and double and ran the room dry multiple times before doing it live fire. Slicing the Pie vs Dynamic Entry. Shoot – No Shoot targets were set up, changed, and moved for each group. To finish off the day we conducted a Qualification Course of Fire that incorporated everything we’d worked on for the past 2 days. Beginning at the 2 yard line and moving back to the 50, all stages were timed and a 100 percent hits on target are required to qualify. All students completed this course of fire successfully! To finish up the day we did a 1 shot time limit drill competition beginning at the 25 yard line shooting at a steel head plate. 1 miss and you’re done…last man standing was at the 75 yard line.

Other Additions/Observations:
Over all this was a great training session, the feedback received at the end of the day critiques was very positive from all in attendance. Throughout this course we had many student challenges. At the graduation after the certificates were handed out, I had the pleasure to present our first “Challenge Coin” to a student who showed the most improvement and continued accuracy & consistency throughout the 2 days of training. I was very pleased to present this to “Doc” who I know will uphold our standards and traditions to the highest level possible, well done!

Day 2 was one of my most challenging training days I’ve experienced is quite some time. My entire range crew including myself, fell victims to some type of stomach virus. Shortly after lunch one of my RSO’s dropped out, upon his return my other RSO fell out. While running the group through qualification at nearly the last stage of fire on the 50 yard line, I started feeling the ill effects. My goal was to make it through the qual and take a break. Hum (good thought), I almost made it to the completion of the qual course before I received the full effects of whatever had gotten to us. After a short purging on the 60 yard line, I completed the final stage of the course, took a small break to clean up and finished off the day. That’s the last time Ralph is invited on my range!

Over all this was an incredibly exciting training progression for all. The motivation of all attending made this an enormous instructional experience.