PDA

View Full Version : A question about lasers and rear sight?

C.Bronson
05-29-2012, 8:11 AM
Hello CGers!:chris:
I recently bought a Armalaser for my little Kel-Tec P11. Took it out to the indoor range here in NOR*CAL. At 7y's (which is the ideal range for this lil shooter) It grouped well at point of impact. But was off from point of aim? I put the sights and laser on the "bull" and all my shots grouped 3" low and 3" to the right. So my question is....Should I drift the rear sight to the left and then adjust the lasers windage? Just leave it alone? It grouped well just a little off. Grouped well enough to stop a bad guy coming at me. Thanks for any and all comments and help.......Oh BTW I add'd a pic to detour the "smart alec" laser haters LOL
http://i914.photobucket.com/albums/ac349/elbarto138/untitledshark.png
Cheers,
Bart

RoundEye
05-29-2012, 9:16 AM
Hello CGers!:chris:
I recently bought a Armalaser for my little Kel-Tec P11. Took it out to the indoor range here in NOR*CAL. At 7y's (which is the ideal range for this lil shooter) It grouped well at point of impact. But was off from point of aim? I put the sights and laser on the "bull" and all my shots grouped 3" low and 3" to the right. So my question is....Should I drift the rear sight to the left and then adjust the lasers windage? Just leave it alone? It grouped well just a little off. Grouped well enough to stop a bad guy coming at me. Thanks for any and all comments and help.......Oh BTW I add'd a pic to detour the "smart alec" laser haters LOL
http://i914.photobucket.com/albums/ac349/elbarto138/untitledshark.png
Cheers,
Bart

It depends on if you really want POA to equal POI. If you do first start with the iron sights, an make the adjustments until you're happy.

Now the laser can be handled two ways since the bore axis is most likely off by an inch or so depending on where it's mounted. You can either decide to zero it at a set distance knowing that POA and POI will meet only at that distance and will be either higher or lower based on the distance closer or further from the zero, or you can do the offset approach and measure the distance of the bore axis from the laser, and replicate that on paper. For example if the laser is mounted on the bottom and 1" off the bore, you try to get it to shoot 1" lower than POA, at varying distances consistently.

C.Bronson
05-29-2012, 9:50 AM
Thanks Man. Makes sense. I was confussed (easy for me to do). 3" right and low would still "detour" a bad guy. But I'm going to drift the sight and "tweek" the laser next trip to the range.

Thanks
Bart