PDA

View Full Version : 1 mile + shooting = fun

dstewart
05-29-2012, 6:50 AM
Took the Savage 110FCP 338 Lapua out to Barstow over Memorial Day Weekend for some long range fun.

We started out at 1153 yards (laser ranged) but after making a first shot cold bore hit and then 4 more consecutive hits following (thank you Shooter for Android) I decided to move out further. We moved back and ranged the steel at 1535 yards but said hell, why not make it a full mile? My Bushnell Fusions 1600's where just at the edge of ranging the 3'x3' black steel plate in the mid day sun. We had one truck drive down the road until I ranged him at just over 200 yards before he disappeared in the brush. He said he drove on just a bit further from that point. That should have made it just over 1 mile (1760 yards). Out of 15 shots I made 3 solid hits. The misses where all splashed very near the target, most of them look like the elevation was on but the down range wind was blowing them right. Even though we did not have wind at the shooting position we could see the mirage drift left to right in the scope and binos.

We saved the GPS coordinates and when I got back I plugged them in to Google Earth. GE shows 1875 yards! I knew we where just over a mile but thats Awesome!

Listen carefully at the 27 second mark and you can hear the hit (about 9 seconds after the shot). Make sure you turn it down after we call hit, the guy with the camera gets loud.

2Kn5cd-YfiM

1-5 mph breez, 2750' ele, 77deg F. 90g Retumbo pushing 300gr Scenar for 2710fps. With the 20MOA Ken Farrel Base the Nightforce 5-22x56 NXS scope was very near maxed out in elevation (19.8 mils ele).

BucDan
05-29-2012, 7:17 AM
Nice shooting. That's one heck of a distance.

dstewart
05-29-2012, 8:23 AM
Thanks BucDan

On of the most impressive things about it. At 1200 yards that 300gr bullet had more energy at impact that a 44mag at point blank range. At 1800 yards it still has more energy than a 45acp at point blank range. As far a raw power its still small potatoes compared to a 50BMG (or DTC), however.

At 1800 yards "Shooter" calculations show the bullet was passing though the transonic range. That can cause bullet destabilization and tumbling. I was amazed I was able to even hit the target at all and much more to have a 20% hit ratio.

Lets see, 1moa at 1800 yards is ~18 inches. The target was 36x36, so even with a 1moa rifle with no other influencing factors that's half the target in potential error. Add in variable downrange wind, mirage, standard bullet velocity deviation and transonic ballistics I am very impressed myself. Unlike Mark Wahlberg, I wasn't too concerned about Coriolis or Spin Drift :)

peter95
05-29-2012, 8:35 AM
wow nice! Cant wait till I get to shoot that far...!

CSACANNONEER
05-29-2012, 8:47 AM
Nice shooting. I'm wondering why you would post a video of you breaking the law though? You do know it's ilegal to have a loaded firearm in a vehicle in Ca, right? I'm not even going to get into shooting fom a vehicle without a special permit (certain handicapped hunting licenses). Also, be careful shooting like that with a MB. I've known of a few guys who've blown their taillights outs with the diverted muzzle blast.

TwinStick
05-29-2012, 9:04 AM
Nice shooting. I'm wondering why you would post a video of you breaking the law though? You do know it's ilegal to have a loaded firearm in a vehicle in Ca, right? I'm not even going to get into shooting fom a vehicle without a special permit (certain handicapped hunting licenses). Also, be careful shooting like that with a MB. I've known of a few guys who've blown their taillights outs with the diverted muzzle blast.

That's clearly not the bed of a pick-up, but rather a converted pick-up bed trailer. Non-motorized.

em9sredbeam
05-29-2012, 9:10 AM
That is awesome. Someday I will get my chance.

cebuvfr
05-29-2012, 9:11 AM
Awesome!

MrExel17
05-29-2012, 10:29 AM
Sweet!

Fate
05-29-2012, 10:34 AM
Nice shooting. CSA is right though. There's no exemption for being parked.

bombadillo
05-29-2012, 10:38 AM
My buddy busted a tail lens with just a .300 win mag!

dstewart
05-29-2012, 11:32 AM

I was not aware you could not shoot from a bed of a parked pickup in CA (lived 28 years in AZ before here). In the future I will make other accommodations and thank you for the heads up.

diego-ted
05-29-2012, 11:50 AM
I was not aware you could not shoot from a bed of a parked pickup in CA (lived 28 years in AZ before here). In the future I will make other accommodations and thank you for the heads up.

If you don't mind the ridicule, a plastic card table works fantastic!! LOL
Diego

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v333/diego-ted/Rabbit.jpg

dstewart
05-29-2012, 12:07 PM
Thats an option Diego. Id like to stay prone, though not bad, the recoil is easier on the shoulder. Also, when prone I tend to stay on or pick the target back up faster.

Javi
05-29-2012, 12:18 PM
wow nice! Cant wait till I get to shoot that far...!

^Same here :) Great job!

Javi
05-29-2012, 12:22 PM
Thats an option Diego. Id like to stay prone, though not bad, the recoil is easier on the shoulder. Also, when prone I tend to stay on or pick the target back up faster.

$50 on sale:

http://media.midwayusa.com/productimages/large/276/276544.jpg

Or step down to their $25(sale price) mat:

http://media.midwayusa.com/productimages/large/169/169107.jpg

weber_2
05-29-2012, 12:48 PM
What Shooter app are u referring to? All I find are games.

paul0660
05-29-2012, 12:54 PM

it was your temporary residence.

dstewart
05-29-2012, 1:04 PM
What Shooter app are u referring to? All I find are games.

http://sean.kndy.net/shooter/

Best ballistics app I have used. Well worth the $10.

LRShooter
05-30-2012, 12:20 AM

As far as the shooting from atop a vehicle, do you know what PC covers that? I can't find it. I've found PC 12034 that covers shooting from "inside the vehicle" and the F&G regs for hunting from a vehicle.

Has anyone ever been cited for target shooting from a truck like that?

Chontkleer
05-30-2012, 12:40 AM
As far as the shooting from atop a vehicle, do you know what PC covers that? I can't find it. I've found PC 12034 that covers shooting from "inside the vehicle" and the F&G regs for hunting from a vehicle.

Wonder if they even have BLM officers out patrolling anymore. When they last updated their website, they had 200 rangers patrolling 245 million acres.

dstewart
05-30-2012, 7:13 AM

I called a local gun shop I deal with to get the owners take. He said it falls under the no loaded weapon in a vehicle law. He also said, technically they could site you but he would be surprised if they did.

I was aware about hunting from a vehicle laws.

robert101
05-30-2012, 10:06 AM
great shooting. As to an Android app try Strelok. ITs free.

captbilly
05-30-2012, 10:25 AM
great shooting. As to an Android app try Strelok. ITs free.
I had never seen strelok before (have been using Shooter for a couple of years) but it looks pretty good. Shooter seems a bit more user friendly and has more features but Strelok looks like it could get the job done. I do not know if one or the other has a better mathematical model but I do know that Shooter gives good results.

Chontkleer
05-30-2012, 10:34 AM
I had never seen strelok before (have been using Shooter for a couple of years) but it looks pretty good. Shooter seems a bit more user friendly and has more features but Strelok looks like it could get the job done. I do not know if one or the other has a better mathematical model but I do know that Shooter gives good results.

Used both. Strelok is pretty good, Shooter has basic and advanced mode. The great thing (possibly, haven't tried it yet) about Shooter is that you can connect a Kestrel meter to Shooter, plus it can pull general atmospheric conditions automatically through the phone.

eta: though it probably won't provide any info in remote areas unless it somehow downloads data from the gps satellite specific to your area

dstewart
05-30-2012, 11:01 AM
Ive used both as well. Nothing wrong with Strelok but I prefer Shooter. Shooter just seems easier to user and more intuitive for me. Not to mention Sean keeps a great online manual for Shooter. Sean also monitors a thread on SnipersHide and responds to questions, comments, and regularly implements suggestions from the users.

CSACANNONEER
05-30-2012, 11:02 AM

Since it is illegal to have a loaded weapon in (Your "a top" idea isn't going to get you far in court. I've put plenty of items in the bed of a truck but, I've never heard of anyone putting anything "a top" of the bed before.) a vehicle while on public lands or roads (some exceptions apply), it would not be legal to discharge a firearm there either. I have heard of people being cited and/or warned for having loaded firearms on top of the hood or leaning against a vehicle before.

ubet
05-30-2012, 10:18 PM
csa, oh jesus h christ. I think the hall monitor lounge is down a few clicks.

Op, good job, have fun.

ubet
05-30-2012, 10:18 PM

Op, good job, have fun.

CSACANNONEER
05-31-2012, 6:33 AM

Op, good job, have fun.

You're right. Instead of informing people about what's legal and what isn't, we should all just keep our mouths shut and encorage ilegal activities.:rolleyes: Get a clue. Even the OP was glad to learn it here rather than in the field where he could have had his weapons and vehicle confinscated while he ended up in cuffs.