PDA

View Full Version : Rifle Hard Case

feelgood
05-29-2012, 12:15 AM
Does my rifle need to be in a locked hard case when crossing state lines or the soft case with a lock will do?? need your help....:confused:

stix213
05-29-2012, 12:20 AM
Does my rifle need to be in a locked hard case when crossing state lines or the soft case with a lock will do?? need your help....:confused:

In CA rifles that are properly configured per CA law don't have to be in any kind of case unless traveling through a federal gun free school zone which applies in every state. The federal gun free school zone law requires either a locked case or a locking gun rack. There is no stipulation between soft or hard cases, though if going with a soft case you need to ensure that you can't open it even with locked zippers by bending the case around. There are many other threads if you need more details, and I'm sure it is covered in the wiki.

Some common sense advice rather than legal, keep your rifle out of sight when traveling even when not in a school zone, and it is not a bad idea to keep it in a locked case as if you are always in a school zone even if some here would think that is overkill.

If you are traveling from CA into another state, you'll need to see that state's laws (you could mention the state and someone might chime in with their knowledge), but the federal gun free school zone crap will still apply accross all 50 states.

I am not a lawyer

Munk
05-29-2012, 5:55 PM
Unloaded and locked in a hardcase will cover you in nearly all situations (except places where mere possession of a gun is a problem... like NYC).

ubet
05-29-2012, 8:26 PM
Nv, you can have mag inserted, chamber empty.

Stix, if I am not mistaken, isnt the fgfsz have wording that basically says, you need to know a school was there to be in violation of it?

Of all the things that need to be changed, they need to change the part about transporting through a school zone. It is a train wreck of a law. Maybe the schools should move to be 1000' away from any guns? Call them school free gun zones :chris: