PDA

View Full Version : Homebuilt AK's from 2006 ~ Dont know if I still feel them same about them

insin
05-28-2012, 11:04 PM
Hello all,
Hey everyone,
I will start my rant...
I was just opened up my safe and went though it after a long winter. I took out a couple OLD AK's. When I say OLD, I mean it was put together by me, on a NDS reciever and a parts kit. When I say OLD, i mean before you could easily buy a legal BB'ed AK off the shelf at many local gun shops. I put this thing together with a press, did the rivets myself, and even did the refinish job (duracoat). I don't mean to sound like I am not proud of the the job that I did, but it does not compare to an AK that you could pull off the shelf of a gun shop today, even a WASR. If I were to be honest, I would have just rather bought one instead of all the work I had to do back in 2006 and 2007. That wasn't an option back then, and truthfully that led to most of the apeal. Nowadays you can buy a pretty much "perfect/decent" AK at many gun shops. That wasn't the case back then. Part of the apeal of putting in all that work, was because they were, at that time, pretty much hard to come by. Nowadays, I dunno...

I look at the rivets, I look at the finish, to be perfectly honest I could see myself parting with all except 1 AK. However, to be perfectly honest I don't know if I could sell my home brew AKs to another person due to unknown liability. I don't really need to keep them around, but at the same time I worry about selling them. Do you see my problem? I have played around with reverting them back to parts kits, I mean they would be YUGO kits, so I'm sure someone would be interested.

I just wanted to know if anyone who put together an AK back when you couldn't just buy one, looks back now and regrets it because you can go buy a new Saiga, Arsenal, or Centry AK? Remember, this is back when we were all still waiting "two more weeks" for them to "update" the list.

tryzubconsulting
05-28-2012, 11:10 PM
Hello all,
Hey everyone,
I will start my rant...
I was just opened up my safe and went though it after a long winter. I took out a couple OLD AK's. When I say OLD, I mean it was put together by me, on a NDS reciever and a parts kit. When I say OLD, i mean before you could easily buy a legal BB'ed AK off the shelf at many local gun shops. I put this thing together with a press, did the rivets myself, and even did the refinish job (duracoat). I don't mean to sound like I am not proud of the the job that I did, but it does not compare to an AK that you could pull off the shelf of a gun shop today, even a WASR. If I were to be honest, I would have just rather bought one instead of all the work I had to do back in 2006 and 2007. That wasn't an option back then, and truthfully that led to most of the apeal. Nowadays you can buy a pretty much "perfect/decent" AK at many gun shops. That wasn't the case back then. Part of the apeal of putting in all that work, was because they were, at that time, pretty much hard to come by. Nowadays, I dunno...

I look at the rivets, I look at the finish, to be perfectly honest I could see myself parting with all except 1 AK. However, to be perfectly honest I don't know if I could sell my home brew AKs to another person due to unknown liability. I don't really need to keep them around, but at the same time I worry about selling them. Do you see my problem? I have played around with reverting them back to parts kits, I mean they would be YUGO kits, so I'm sure someone would be interested.

I just wanted to know if anyone who put together an AK back when you couldn't just buy one, looks back now and regrets it because you can go buy a new Saiga, Arsenal, or Centry AK? Remember, this is back when we were all still waiting "two more weeks" for them to "update" the list.

If you really want to part with them, why not bandsaw the receivers and sell the parts kits?

insin
05-28-2012, 11:34 PM
Yeah, that is the option that I am playing with at the moment. Mostly I wanted to rant. Thanks for the idea

motorwerks
05-28-2012, 11:54 PM
If you really want to part with them, why not bandsaw the receivers and sell the parts kits?

+1 thats what I was going to say.

WTSGDYBBR
05-29-2012, 1:15 AM
I sent you a pm on what can be done.

S470FM
05-29-2012, 6:17 AM
can you post pictures of your home-built rifles? i'm barely getting into the BPs and would greatly appreciate it if I could see what mine might look like when i'm done building it.

Jayruta
05-29-2012, 7:42 AM
If its on an NDS receiver it should be serialized and can be sold thru PPT. If its a yugo i will buy it for the right price. There is no liability because its up to the end user to look it over for functionality. Sell it like a normal gun thru an ffl.

Jayruta
05-29-2012, 7:50 AM
On another note. I love each and every one of my 15 aks. Even the ones that are store bought. I love the history, the different looks, knowing that some of my original barreles kits have blood on them from some foreign war. Its awesome to own a rifle that has some history behind it! Parts kit ak, are real military used aks that have seen service. Not some store bought brand new, monkey thrown together, rifle. Yugo's for sure have a deep history and have seen some conflict. They should be kept and given the dirty, grimy, war-torn, bfpu look they have earned!

Shrubmaster
05-29-2012, 8:50 AM
Man, all this talk about history makes me want to build another ak!... or I could finish the three infront of me.

There's a reason they call it an "addiction".

The "but I built this one for you honey" excuse isn't really working anymore either...:rolleyes:

AKSOG
05-29-2012, 9:03 AM
Sorry to hear about the lack of confidence in the builds. Why not just fix the aesthetic issues if they are solid shooters?

AK all day
05-29-2012, 9:14 AM
I personally wouldn't have a problem buying a home build. Inspect it, look at key points, get proof it works, and I'm a happy camper. :)

tujungatoes
05-29-2012, 11:39 AM
You can sell them built or if you prefer you can pop out the barrels carefully remove the rivets and sell them as receivers and parts kits. Either way you should more than make your money back. Just remember if you change your mind later down the road it's gonna cost alot more to replace them. I still regret selling my retro ar build.

james758
05-29-2012, 12:04 PM
You should keep it!!!
in 30 years you can show it to your grand kids and say you made it with your bare hands and pounded the receiver out of a stop sign.
My favorite AK was built on an NDS receiver. Got the side folding triangle stock and and AMD kit. I had to lock the triangle stock in place because OOL was too short otherwise. Screwed it together instead of rivets, and did up some sand/gun grey paint scheme on it. It shot 100 rds with out KB or malfunctions, but the sights still need to be adjusted. I haven't shot it since. But there isn't an AK like it in the rest of the world (well, maybe not).
But yeah, back in the days... you either put your lower together and got an upper and "made" an AR, or you got a dremmel and drill press and got together for a build party and when you finally take it to the range and it works, you know that a LOT more work went into your AK than with some AR that anybody with dirt under his/her nails could put together. It was a lot more gratifying to have an AK that you put together yourself.
KEEP IT!!!
http://i922.photobucket.com/albums/ad65/jamesrmat/ak.jpg