PDA

View Full Version : Anyone shoot a 460 Rowland in their 45 pistol?

Bug Splat
05-28-2012, 11:28 PM
44 magnum numbers in a 45acp pistol? Sounds nice. Conversion barrels can fire both 45acp and 460? Sounds too good to be true. Thinking of picking up a barrel for my M&P45, anyone try the conversion barrels? Is it just hype?

Ubermcoupe
05-29-2012, 12:16 AM
I haven’t really put any research into it but it does look like a fun cartridge. :43:

9aHyN52jNI0

I could see this as being a good option for an outdoor type sidearm.

Bug Splat
05-29-2012, 12:20 AM
I could see this as being a good option for an outdoor type sidearm.

My thoughts exactly. Use it for hunting pigs or as a defense pistol against large animals while backpacking.

Ubermcoupe
05-29-2012, 12:23 AM
Does Rowland make a conversion for the M&P? I only see Glock/XD/1911 options available.

Bug Splat
05-29-2012, 12:28 AM
Does Rowland make a conversion for the M&P? I only see Glock/XD/1911 options available.

Looks like it may have been discontinued. Worst case I can buy a new barrel and ream it down a smiggin. I don't know. May not be worth it now :(

TKM
05-29-2012, 6:45 AM
Clark converted cylinder in my 625 and barrel in my Desert Warrior.

They work well. Gloves are recommended.

zfields
05-29-2012, 6:52 AM
Looks like it may have been discontinued. Worst case I can buy a new barrel and ream it down a smiggin. I don't know. May not be worth it now :(

Bump up your recoil spring also. I know the XD kits used to come with one, same with the 1911 kits.

Fishslayer
05-29-2012, 8:53 AM
Fired a friend's converted Colt Commander size 1911. With the muzzle brake it was amazingly controllable. About like .45ACP +P. Loud as ****. Tack driver accuracy.

1911Luvr
05-29-2012, 4:47 PM
Fired a friend's converted Colt Commander size 1911. With the muzzle brake it was amazingly controllable. About like .45ACP +P. Loud as ****. Tack driver accuracy.

Is it as simple as changing the barrel? I was under the impression standard 1911s weren't up to the challenge, the frames being too weak for the heavy load.

TKM
05-29-2012, 7:15 PM
http://www.clarkcustomguns.com/rowland.htm#faq

You will have to have the comp pinned to the pistol barrel due to the assault weapon status of a threaded barrel.

2nd Shot
05-29-2012, 7:42 PM
I've been curious about the cartridge as well, since .44 ballistics in a .45 pistol would kick ***! I would think it a good option for all of those "Which service pistol for bear" threads.

My only concern would be slide velocity... For a slide and barrel of a given mass, it will recoil at a velocity determined by the energy of the cartridge. Earlier 1911's had trouble with 10mm cracking steel frames (they seem to have it under control now with heavier springs and eliminating stress points in the frame), and that's only with ~50% more muzzle energy. .460 should be about double. Even with the brake to counteract the slide/barrel velocity in recoil, it still seems like that slide is going to be snapping back much faster than with even the hottest .45 loads you can buy. Some of the poly gun conversions didn't even come with or need a brake (they claimed), which doesn't make sense unless the slide is seriously twice as heavy or something.

I'd be curious to see what kind of life you can get out of any platform firing .460, but it sounds pretty awesome though.

zfields
05-29-2012, 8:13 PM
I've been curious about the cartridge as well, since .44 ballistics in a .45 pistol would kick ***! I would think it a good option for all of those "Which service pistol for bear" threads.

My only concern would be slide velocity... For a slide and barrel of a given mass, it will recoil at a velocity determined by the energy of the cartridge. Earlier 1911's had trouble with 10mm cracking steel frames (they seem to have it under control now with heavier springs and eliminating stress points in the frame), and that's only with ~50% more muzzle energy. .460 should be about double. Even with the brake to counteract the slide/barrel velocity in recoil, it still seems like that slide is going to be snapping back much faster than with even the hottest .45 loads you can buy. Some of the poly gun conversions didn't even come with or need a brake (they claimed), which doesn't make sense unless the slide is seriously twice as heavy or something.

I'd be curious to see what kind of life you can get out of any platform firing .460, but it sounds pretty awesome though.

This is why the kits are packed with a heavier recoil spring.

Bug Splat
05-29-2012, 9:55 PM
I wonder if my M&P can take the 45 Super. Numbers are not as good as the 460 but it does not require a barrel change.

Fishslayer
05-30-2012, 12:18 AM
Is it as simple as changing the barrel? I was under the impression standard 1911s weren't up to the challenge, the frames being too weak for the heavy load.

http://www.clarkcustomguns.com/rowland.htm#faq

You will have to have the comp pinned to the pistol barrel due to the assault weapon status of a threaded barrel.

There ya go. Clark has a list of acceptable 1911s for the conversion.

Bug Splat
05-30-2012, 12:39 PM
Reached out to Rowland about why they no longer offered the M&P kit and received this answer....

the M& P has proven to be problematic. Bits have broken repeatedly and we have just shelved it for now. I can not say if we will pick it up again.

walmart_ar15
05-30-2012, 8:46 PM
10mm Delta Elite uses 28lb spring. 45 Super is advertised needing 32lb spring. 460 Rowland conversion provides 24 and 20lb spring?

My barrel compensated 1911 uses 10lb spring, a reduction of 6lb. If we can use direct reference, then it suggests 460 Rowland require around the same recoil damping as 45 Super with at least 300 fps faster slug.

Too bad RIA does not qualify. Otherwise, it would interesting to give it a try.

Fishslayer
05-30-2012, 10:31 PM
Too bad RIA does not qualify. Otherwise, it would interesting to give it a try.

Norinco's on the list. So is the Ruger.

m98
05-31-2012, 2:45 AM
Im also looking into a 460 for my xdm45 for woods carry too. I dont think this round is meant for to be shot at 1k rds per wk/month. Its just too much of a beast to be shot thru an auto unlike other weaker calibers.

zfields
05-31-2012, 4:17 AM
Im also looking into a 460 for my xdm45 for woods carry too. I dont think this round is meant for to be shot at 1k rds per wk/month. Its just too much of a beast to be shot thru an auto unlike other weaker calibers.

Same here. Was originally thinking a glock 20, but this may be the ticket instead

Sent from my Incredible 2 using Tapatalk 2