PDA

View Full Version : Kadet Kit really worth it? UPDATE: bought one.

daybreak
05-28-2012, 8:38 PM
I can't decide if buying a CZ Kadet Kit is worth it. They're hard to find online right now but they seem to be going for around $350-$400. Is it worth investing in? With $350-$400, I could easily just buy a lot more 9mm ammo for my CZs.

Kadet Kit with tax and/or shipping = $375 ish
Kadet Kit with 3000 rounds of .22LR (@ $25 for 500 rounds of CCI) = about $525
3,000 rounds of bulletman 9mm ammo = $510

... i'm thinking I might as well spend that Kadet Kit money on more 9mm. What do you guys think? Which investment would you make?

I realize I could find cheaper .22LR at around $18-20 a box, but let's stick to CCI @$25/500.

grim1U
05-28-2012, 8:41 PM
I think it's worth it. Remember the cadet kit is a one time fee, after that it's Smooth .22lr sailing from there:D.

JamminJ
05-28-2012, 8:46 PM
I bought one a month and a half ago and am very happy with it. It's the only .22 auto I have that doesn't have a cheesy feel to it. Like the adjustable sights too.

I approached the buying decision in the exact opposite way you are. I wanted a dedicated Kadet but, this being California, couldn't just go buy one. I bought a 75B and waited 8 months before finding a conversion kit available online.

BamBam-31
05-28-2012, 8:46 PM
It's a high quality conversion kit, that's for sure. Whether or not it's worth it is strictly up to you. You could very easily buy a complete .22lr pistol for the same amount of cash.

Again, the Kadet kit is one of the best conversion kits out there. Mine was super accurate and reliable. It was a great way to get trigger time with my CZ 75b pistol w/o having to pay centerfire prices, plus it smoothed out the trigger lots with all those trigger pulls. $350-400 is kinda steep, however, but you won't be disappointed by the quality.

ojisan
05-28-2012, 8:48 PM
Gun Tests gave it an "A" rating.

Bug Splat
05-28-2012, 9:00 PM
It's a high quality conversion kit, that's for sure. Whether or not it's worth it is strictly up to you. You could very easily buy a complete .22lr pistol for the same amount of cash.

Again, the Kadet kit is one of the best conversion kits out there. Mine was super accurate and reliable. It was a great way to get trigger time with my CZ 75b pistol w/o having to pay centerfire prices, plus it smoothed out the trigger lots with all those trigger pulls. $350-400 is kinda steep, however, but you won't be disappointed by the quality.

Agree ^^^^

If you want to train with the same trigger and grip the Kadet kit is the way to go. If you just want a plunker and don't care about practicing with your CZ I'd just buy a Buckmark for the same price. Nothing wrong with either route, it just depends on what you are buying the 22 for. Conversion kits are mainly for training or guys who just like the feel of their 9mm/40/45 pistol.

JeremyS
05-28-2012, 9:02 PM
I've been very happy with mine. Not only is it one of the best conversion kits for any gun on the market, it's simply one of the best .22 LR semi-auto pistols on the market. .22 pistols are notoriously picky about ammo and often unreliable, and the Kadet kit is neither of those things. I have run 4 brands of cheap, bulk box .22 LR through it with no problems and have run a couple of nicer rounds through it also without an issue.

The design is great since the entire slide doesn't reciprocate. This allowed them to make it from forged steel instead of having to use a light material like aluminum or pot metal (did you see that GSG explosion thread?). The machining is really good.

It's accurate and the adjustable rear sight is nice.

...just posted this in another thread, but I found the factory target from my Kadet adapter while I was packing stuff up in the workshop. 1.5" spread at 25 meters is not bad at all:

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-0CPo6ymePq0/T8RUCMzU0aI/AAAAAAAAA94/zP8GxFFEs1U/s720/20120527_153738.jpg

I had looked for used ones online for a long time but they aren't sold very often and most people were asking the same price as you can buy new anyway. Ended up getting it from CZ Custom: http://czcustom.com/CZ-75-Kadet-Kit-PolyCoat-22.aspx

daybreak
05-28-2012, 9:08 PM
unfortunately it's also hard to find them in stock anywhere :(

smittty
05-28-2012, 10:11 PM
You don't need expensive 22 ammo for the Kadet. Both mine and my friends work perfectly with bulk pack ammo.

After shooting my Kadet kit for a few months I sold my Ruger MK?. My kadet kit was more reliable.

I've had it now for a few years and still works perfectly. It's definitely a quality kit!

lrj812
05-29-2012, 8:10 AM
I feel your pain. Ruger SR22 or Kadet kit. That's my question. Since both are hard to get right now it has given me time to ponder and save for both.

JeremyS
05-29-2012, 8:32 AM
I feel your pain. Ruger SR22 or Kadet kit. That's my question. Since both are hard to get right now it has given me time to ponder and save for both.
I did some debating between getting a complete gun and getting the adapter also. I chose the adapter for three main reasons:

* I love the feel of my CZ frame and I put money and time into making the trigger, grip, etc awesome for me. I liked the idea of using that same trigger and grip for my .22 shooting, which also meant getting even more practice shooting that same gun. More muscle memory with the same grip, trigger, safety, slide release, mag release, etc... this makes shooting .22 from it more than just plinking fun, it's actual useful training with my primary handgun.

* No FFL. No fees (DROS, transfer, tax), no wait, no hassle, no registration. Shipped Priority Mail to my doorstep.

* The only semi-auto .22 LR pistols with equivalent reputations for accuracy and reliability were more expensive and did not have the aesthetic I was interested in. Sure, I could get a plinker like a P22 or a Mosquito or something, but they are not as accurate. I don't know much about the SR22, as it wasn't available when I was looking into these things.

Last month's Shooting Illustrated had a good article on five different .22 LR pistols complete with accuracy data, MSRP, shooting reviews... Worth a read if you're in the market. Even with the new things that have come out, I'm 99% sure I'd do the KA again and it's still a very good choice... maybe still the best choice.

Edit: had the magazine handy so figured I'd list the guns they reviewed. I thought it was 10, but it's just 5. The M&P was the most accurate:

Kimber Rimfire Target
Sig Sauer 1911-22
Umarex USA Colt 1911
S&W M&P22
Ruger SR22

Lead Waster
05-29-2012, 10:40 AM
I also considered it, but I bought a used Ruger 22/45 instead. I'd just prefer to have two distinct pistols. Especially if you are at the range with newbies, you can set them up in a lane with the .22 and a box of 500 rounds, then go shoot your CZ in the next lane.

elsolo
05-29-2012, 12:28 PM
The Kadet kit I bought many years ago paid for itself in no time.
It runs on any bulk pack .22lr ammo
More reliable than many of the new manufacture .22 pistols I have shot
It's not as awesome as my old Colt Woodsman Target model, but 1/3 the price.

paul0660
05-29-2012, 12:35 PM
I paid for mine already, in less than a year. You are saving at least .25 a shot, and it is great for noobs.

I did have a stovepipe, once.

loosewreck
05-29-2012, 12:42 PM
I can't decide if buying a CZ Kadet Kit is worth it. They're hard to find online right now but they seem to be going for around $350-$400. Is it worth investing in? With $350-$400, I could easily just buy a lot more 9mm ammo for my CZs.

Kadet Kit with tax and/or shipping = $375 ish
Kadet Kit with 3000 rounds of .22LR (@ $25 for 500 rounds of CCI) = about $525
3,000 rounds of bulletman 9mm ammo = $510

... i'm thinking I might as well spend that Kadet Kit money on more 9mm. What do you guys think? Which investment would you make?

I realize I could find cheaper .22LR at around $18-20 a box, but let's stick to CCI @$25/500.

I bought mine several years ago as well, it was only around $250 then. For $400 I might consider getting a whole other gun, like a Ruger. It really depends on how much practicing with a CZ means to you.

Other than the usual duds in a brick, mine also runs any bulk ammo reliably, even the crappy Remington, so why stick to CCI http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/images/smilies/confused.gif

3k 9mm = $510
$510 = 25.5 Federal 525 bricks = 13,387.5 rounds
$510 = 25.5 Winchester 555 = 14,152.5 rounds

paul0660
05-29-2012, 12:50 PM
When I make comparisons I always compare the most expensive of the stuff I don't want to the least expensive of what I do want, too.

JaeOne3345
05-29-2012, 12:55 PM
Buy a Dillon 550B.

daybreak
05-29-2012, 1:39 PM
Buy a Dillon 550B.

That's a good alternative suggestion that I'm also looking into. Considering the cost of bulk 9mm, is it worth it to reload? Genuinely asking because I don't know the breakdown of cost to reload 9mm as I haven't done the research.

daybreak
05-29-2012, 1:49 PM
When I make comparisons I always compare the most expensive of the stuff I don't want to the least expensive of what I do want, too.

:) I chose CCI because I've had the best experience with them as far as reliability. As someone who is also very sarcastic, I appreciated that comment.

JeremyS
05-29-2012, 2:12 PM
That's a good alternative suggestion that I'm also looking into. Considering the cost of bulk 9mm, is it worth it to reload? Genuinely asking because I don't know the breakdown of cost to reload 9mm as I haven't done the research.
I'm planning on getting started in reloading this coming summer, both for ammo cost reasons and for fun. I still can't decide if I'm going to reload 9mm though, which is the only pistol caliber I am currently shooting (besides .22 LR). I've done the cost breakdown and I can purchase bulk 9mm ammo, even brass-cased stuff, for the same amount it will cost me to reload assuming the brass isn't even costing me anything (I've saved up around 1k rounds of once- or twice-fired brass). I'm not sure it's worth my time. ...the least expensive plated 9mm bullets (JUST bullets... no case, powder, primer) run about $82 per 1,000. That's half the price of loaded 9mm ammo when you find it cheap, which you can.

I want to reload so I can shoot my .303 British more, can shoot .308 more, and will likely pick up something in 10mm or 9x25. I'm not sure it's worth the time to do 9mm and I don't think you'll recover the initial investment just because you can find it so dang cheap already and the components add up to basically the same price.

I chose CCI because I've had the best experience with them as far as reliability
...and I also agree you should compare to a less expensive .22 round. You're just plinking or target shooting so it's okay if there's a bum primer every thousand rounds or whatever. I've shot the Federal 525 pack, the Winchester 555 pack, the Winchester 333 pack, Remington bulk box, and a few other brands (including various CCI options) with no issues. It has all fed, fired, and ejected reliably through my KA.

JeremyS
05-29-2012, 2:20 PM
Oh!... one thing worth mentioning is that if you go with a lighter mainspring, you *might* have reliability issues with the KA. It takes a harder firing pin strike to ignite them compared to center fire, so if you have tuned your gun to the point where it only barely hits center fire hard enough, it's not going to work with .22. CZ Custom does technically recommend the factory mainspring when using the KA. That said, I went down a few lbs on my mainspring (I'm either running a 14 or 15 lb... don't actually remember) and still have zero issues with running the KA and have yet to see a light strike after many many rounds.

23 Blast
05-30-2012, 4:55 AM
I've owned numerous .22 revolvers, pistols, and conversion kits, including 2 different 1911 kits, and a Glock conversion kit. The Kadet Kit is a superior value. It is marvelously accurate, comes with nifty adjustable sights, is all steel, and mine (my second Kadet after I foolishly sold my first) is 100% reliable with every brand of cheap ammo I've thrown at it. I love it.

daybreak
05-30-2012, 5:08 AM
Thanks for all the input guys.

lrj812
05-30-2012, 7:27 AM
I'm planning on getting started in reloading this coming summer, both for ammo cost reasons and for fun. I still can't decide if I'm going to reload 9mm though, which is the only pistol caliber I am currently shooting (besides .22 LR). I've done the cost breakdown and I can purchase bulk 9mm ammo, even brass-cased stuff, for the same amount it will cost me to reload assuming the brass isn't even costing me anything (I've saved up around 1k rounds of once- or twice-fired brass). I'm not sure it's worth my time. ...the least expensive plated 9mm bullets (JUST bullets... no case, powder, primer) run about $82 per 1,000. That's half the price of loaded 9mm ammo when you find it cheap, which you can.

I want to reload so I can shoot my .303 British more, can shoot .308 more, and will likely pick up something in 10mm or 9x25. I'm not sure it's worth the time to do 9mm and I don't think you'll recover the initial investment just because you can find it so dang cheap already and the components add up to basically the same price.

...and I also agree you should compare to a less expensive .22 round. You're just plinking or target shooting so it's okay if there's a bum primer every thousand rounds or whatever. I've shot the Federal 525 pack, the Winchester 555 pack, the Winchester 333 pack, Remington bulk box, and a few other brands (including various CCI options) with no issues. It has all fed, fired, and ejected reliably through my KA.

I reload .40 for my CZ75B. Free brass from range, 10 cents per bullet, 3 cents of powder, 3 cents for primer. My attraction to reloading was the ability to do gun stuff while still adding to my habit of shooting. The lower cost enabled me to shoot more not spend less. Reload pistol and rifle now and got a lot smarter about bullets and shooting. Priceless.

I understand the cost/benefit ratio so I do not reload 7.62x39. The brass is twice the cost of a loaded round. Couldn't find the brass (Yugo) from that AK even if it was reloadable. It throws the brass into next week.

Kadet kit would be a fine addition regardless of your ability to do your own loads. I say buy it and enjoy.

daybreak
05-30-2012, 7:29 AM
I have decided to buy one. I left out the part that I already own about 10K in bulk .22LR, not including the 5,250 of .22LR I just put up for sale in the classifieds ($170)

JaeOne3345
05-30-2012, 7:31 AM

It costs me about 4.50/100 rounds. Less than half the price of Wal Mart.

You decide.

daybreak
05-30-2012, 7:33 AM
I'll pay you $5.50/100 . And i'll throw in a great smile.

gorenut
05-30-2012, 9:15 AM
I also considered it, but I bought a used Ruger 22/45 instead. I'd just prefer to have two distinct pistols. Especially if you are at the range with newbies, you can set them up in a lane with the .22 and a box of 500 rounds, then go shoot your CZ in the next lane.

Exactly my outlook. I've owned 22 conversion kits for Sigs and Glocks and ended up selling all of them. Now I just own a 22/45 and will probably look into an SR22 as well for my girlfriend. I just prefer to have a dedicated 22 so I don't have to much around with removing the slide,etc in the range and can quickly go back and forth to my centerfires to rimfire.

My friend owns a CZ Kadet and its pretty accurate with good construction.. but his Kadet is definitely far pickier on ammo than my 22/45. We use the same ammo and he gets random jams. Also... I really dislike how the "slide" of the Kadet manipulates. There just isn't much surface area for me, but maybe your hands will be different. I actually cut myself first time "racking" it.

shooterdude
05-30-2012, 12:56 PM
Oh!... one thing worth mentioning is that if you go with a lighter mainspring, you *might* have reliability issues with the KA. It takes a harder firing pin strike to ignite them compared to center fire, so if you have tuned your gun to the point where it only barely hits center fire hard enough, it's not going to work with .22. CZ Custom does technically recommend the factory mainspring when using the KA. That said, I went down a few lbs on my mainspring (I'm either running a 14 or 15 lb... don't actually remember) and still have zero issues with running the KA and have yet to see a light strike after many many rounds.

I had to up the mainspring to 17lbs to get reliable ignition. The 16lb spring was maybe 80% reliable. I just leave the gun that way because I mainly shoot 9mm from my CZ-75 SP-01 with a 15 lb spring and trigger job nowadays....which is nothing short of FANTASTIC!

bruss01
05-30-2012, 1:32 PM
I have a Kadet adapter for my CZ-75b 9mm.

I got mine back when they were $200... which struck me as pricey at the time but I wanted on and boy howdy am I glad I grabbed it at that price! It's nicely made and it works. It requires some fitting so be prepared to chance it yourself or get it into a shop somewhere. I'll echo the caution about lightened mainsprings... I have my hammer springs ligtened substantially and with Federal bulk ammo it's not 100% reliable, maybe 80%. Not too happy about that, but I get to mull over whether I want to switch ammo or springs. Probably springs will get swapped out for slightly heavier.

I like it for several reasons. It allows me cheap practice with the same ergos as my centerfire handgun. It's light recoil for introducing new shooters to the sport in a gentle fashion. If - let's think "apocalypse" for a minute... I can carry the Kadet kit and two bulk packs of ammo as a backup or alternate to my 9mm slide. 9mm for defense, .22 lr for taking small game or more "discreet" work. It's almost as good as carrying a separate gun. You may be able to scavenge/barter some .22 lr somewhere along the way, it's about the most common ammo on the planet. A .22 bang is not a 9mm bang, but it's still a bang. And it can be useful when properly employed.

At $400, man that would make me squint a bit. At that cost you're not buying it for ammo savings as much as for versatility in a handgun frame that really works for you. It's a hard thing to re-sell, since it requires custom fitting to the individual gun.

I would say, if you have a huge existing investment in .22 lr or see it as an alternate for bug-out/survival (say, in conjunction with an AR-15 with the .22 adapter kit) then it may be something to consider. If you're an occasional shooter without a huge .22 lr investment and no anticipation of needing that kind of ammo flexibility... I think you would have a hard time justifying the purchase price, and could safely pass.

daybreak
06-01-2012, 3:51 PM
I sold a case of XM193 to fund my kadet kit purchase. Took the plunge today.

I free my SP01 from jail on Tuesday, and 30 days after that I'll be freeing my CZ 75b satin nickel out of jail. The Kadet Kit is probably going to live on the 75b full time :)

Are you ready? Standby ... for range report.